Wildmoon

The Paranormal

(I did search back a few pages but couldn't find anything, so apologies if there actually is one)

Anyway..as the title says. The Paranormal. I thought I'd make this thread since I've resparked my interest in it all again. (thanks Halloween.) plus im kinda bored so I thought I'd start up a thread >.>

So, do you believe in anything paranormal/supernatural? Have you ever seen anything? Feel free to discuss your opinions and/or share sightings you think you may have had here.

Personally, I do believe in the paranormal -I mean, why not? On the topic of Aliens, there's no scientific evidence to prove they don't exist, and in fact, science pushes to prove that they do in fact, exist. And there has been multiple stories of sightings, ect, all throughout history. And as for ghosts - no one has proof of what happens when you die. It's something that we may never know, and again - all throughout history, there has always been stories of supernatural things.

I may have had a few sightings in the past, but one I am definitely sure about, is the most recent, and for me, the most memorable.

It happened when I was taking my dog for a walk around the local lake a couple of months ago, it was a normal walk, it was getting a little dark, and I was ready to head off home, but instead, my dog pulled on the leash, refusing to move. She was staring off at the over side of the lake.

Curious to know what she was staring at, thinking maybe a wild fox, or something, I turned around, and I could just see through the reeds, what looked like a pale white humanoid figure on all fours, with long legs, and glowing eyes. It stared across for a moment, and then turned off and ran away, never to be seen again. I stood there terrified for a moment, then pretty much picked up the dog, threw her in the car and drove off home.

Most people call me completely crazy when I tell that story, and call it bullpoop. But I know I saw it, and it was both scary, and exciting/intriguing. Most people also ask why I didn't film it. Which is one thing that brings me onto something I dislike about the so called "paranormal enthusiasts" - that everything must be on video. A lot of it makes no sense - why would you be randomly filming in a dark forest at night? So most videos are, obviously, fake. Though there are a few out there that are convincing.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough - what does everyone else think about the "Paranormal" world, do you believe?

*insert x files theme music*

xd.png

I believe that ghosts and aliens could very well be possible. Cryptids I'm not so sure about, but as a proud Washingtonian I can tell you again it could be possible that Bigfoot could be living in the forests in Washington State. Those woods are deep, man.

I love reading about horror and the paranormal in general. That it exists? Perhaps, I leave my mind open to possibilities but I am not one to readily seek out the spirit world within itself.

I don't think aliens really belong with the rest of the 'paranormal'.

To me, I think there's no question they exist. With the vastness of the universe and considering they don't have to necessarily be anything like us, you can't really say they don't exist.

So I think when people are asking things like "Do you believe in aliens?" it should actually be more like "Do you think aliens visit earth or not?"

I'm very much a believer of the paranormal. I've had a few encounters with what I considered to be paranormal entities, but they weren't scary.

The most recent one was about a year ago. It was around 2AM and I was sitting in my basement with my cat, just browsing the web. We had two small windows in our basement that sat at ground level to let light in, and I was sitting directly across from one of them. My cat was sitting next to me, so I glanced over from my screen to see what he was up to. He was sitting upright with his head positioned upwards, looking at the window. I thought this was strange, so I decided to see what he was staring at. I looked at the window to see a strange blue mist, just floating around. It had somewhat of a glow to it, and after about 10 seconds it kind of flew away. I would have thought I was seeing things if my cat hadn't also spotted it. There wasn't any fog or light outside at the time, so I haven't found an explanation for what I saw.

I'm probably far too pragmatic to be partaking in this thread, but here we go...

I've "seen" things, though in the end there has always been a very mundane explanation in the end. Heck, I've (inadvertently) been someone else's "ghost" myself.

I do not believe in the paranormal/supernatural. (That includes all religious entities.)

I do think there may be some undiscovered creatures and phenomena. (Okapi was a fairly recent discovery, though we're running out of places to scour for large mammals. Oceans might be hiding more, as there is more undiscovered terrain there...)

I do think it is possible there exists extraterrestial alien life. (Technically, whenever you visit another country, you're an alien. wink.gif But the extraterrestials... Why not. It happened here, something similar can happen again elsewhere; much like one of the people above I don't think aliens belong to the same bunch as ghosts.. Whether they are weird sulphur-bacteria or actually possess what we'd see as intelligence is another matter. Might be a hundred million occasions of the first and six of the latter per the entire universe...)

Whether aliens visit us is another topic entirely - and that I personally consider very unlikely, provided physics work as we think it does. Space travel is wont to forever remain ridiculously expensive - it's unfeasible they'd visit us just to hover about, show itself to some confused people with notoriously poor cameras from a distance, and then vanish off again. At most they'd maybe send a dumb probe, one that would fly here for 800 years, transmit all it can, and then crash/burn up. That's a bit more feasible.

Never mind that many natural and human-made objects can be UFOs. (The supersonic plane, Blackbird, is most (in)famous example of it, due to a semi-common maneuver where it rises straight up, something that often caused its engines to stall, cue restart that came with fancy green flames, and finally, when the desired height had been reached, full power forward, cue "thunder" - sound familiar?)

And that "their" life might be completely different from ours. It's entirely possible a space-worm from a faraway galaxy with liquid nitrogen for 96% of its blood will take a single glance at Earth and dismiss any possibility of "life" on here because who on Tzetograilon could live on a planet that is 70% liquid rock, with some of it in the form of rock vapor!? (Never mind said rock just happens to be our "water".) And in a different galaxy even farther away, a dainty figure with far too many limbs will be munching on an aluminum bisquit and concluding that the same planet is a cold, inhospitable hellhole, with at least 95% of its breathable air condensed into vast pools of liquid...

Might be not too probable, but certainly interesting to theoreticize.

I'd disagree on not knowing what happens when we die, though... We know exactly what death is. It's nothing more and nothing less than us breaking down for good. Dead people are the only people who are well and truly permanently defunct. Everyone else still has a chance. Life is nothing "special" as it were - we're all just biological machines. The only reason we cannot just 3D print new humans at will is the fact that humans are incredibly, unbelievably complex - the human brain alone has about 90 billion neurons, each of which can form many connections. For comparison, a good new CPU has maybe 2 billion transistors - and unlike the spanning neuron, a transistor is just a very simple object which has one slightly fuzzy state. You'll need a very powerful supercomputer to contain the same number of states as a human brain has - and a human brain will fit in a jar, while a "proper" supercomputer is the same size as a warehouse! It's ridiculous. And facinating. And ridiculously facinating.

Granted, human brains are not perfect. Sometimes they forget dreams on while we are awake (the vast majority of "sightings" are just waking dreams, or hallucinations). At other times they forget to switch the "don't trash around while sleeping" switch off when we wake up, and then we get sleep paralysis. Or a brain "sees" things it thinks should be there because image processing is hard and needs some guesswork to be quick enough. And so on and so forth...

We term things paranormal because we don't know what they are yet, or confused subconscious imagination for reality. Most of the time, however, the reality is much more interesting.

I don't think aliens really belong with the rest of the 'paranormal'.

To me, I think there's no question they exist. With the vastness of the universe and considering they don't have to necessarily be anything like us, you can't really say they don't exist.

So I think when people are asking things like "Do you believe in aliens?" it should actually be more like "Do you think aliens visit earth or not?"

I second this. Our galaxy alone is nearly limitless to us in terms of how vast it is for us to travel through it. At the very least somewhere in the universe (other then Earth) there's a handful of amoebas.

Edited by w5aw5

I really love cryptids but I don't really believe any of them are real. Mothman and Black Dog are probably my favorites.

Whether aliens visit us is another topic entirely - and that I personally consider very unlikely, provided physics work as we think it does. Space travel is wont to forever remain ridiculously expensive - it's unfeasible they'd visit us just to hover about, show itself to some confused people with notoriously poor cameras from a distance, and then vanish off again. At most they'd maybe send a dumb probe, one that would fly here for 800 years, transmit all it can, and then crash/burn up. That's a bit more feasible.

This is assuming that the aliens value/don't value the same things as we do. Their planet might be different to ours, and they may have an abundance of everything they need for space travel, and they may all be what would be considered here a genius race who can figure things like this out easily.

Maybe they visit and fly around a bit as a stupid joke like what teenagers would do here.

OP, your story was very spoopy. I would cry in that situation.

I like to think that ghost are real because it is fun. It seems like a strange reason, but I honestly want to believe that at least something we can't really explain exists in this word. Apparently when I was younger, I used to talk to a little girl in a white dress near the entrance of my attic. My mom and her friends were super creeped out, as they should have been. I don't have any real recollection of it though which is honestly very scary in itslelf since I was at the age where I could remember stuff.

As for aliens, I am 90% sure that they exist. It just seems that since space is infinite, the probability that they are real is too large.

Edited by Ninetails

I believe that alien life are probable even if it is just alien bacteria.

I hope Bigfoot is real, but what Bigfoot is don't know for sure... if not real still fun!

Oh and as for dragons... technically they probably exist in the form of Crocodiles... I suspect that sort of critter was the origin. Crocodiles do not make good pets... but flying lizards could, and they do exist... I wish people would breed them versus hunt them and use them for medicine though.

If I ever keep lizards as a pets I want a huge enclosed greenhouse of plants with these guys in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draco_(genus)

One can dream.

tongue.gif

I love the paranormal, I have see, been touched, and lived with spirits and ghost, since i was a child, when i was younger i saw what i used to call the light people, as that's how i saw them, as lights in the shape of people walking about, later on I became a spiritualist medium, so yeah i see, hear, and feel spirit, all the time.. and nope i am not scared of it one little bit, especially when i hear children running around and laughing..

Oh yeah I have also seen two UFO..'s biggrin.gif

I absolutely love the paranormal! Sadly I've never come into contact with it myself but I always find myself wishing I could! Ghosts, aliens, phantoms... it all sounds so exciting! I just can't seem to stumble upon any of it!

I believe in:

Ghosts/Paranormal Activity.

Aliens.

Sasquatch.

Loch Ness Monster.

Demons.

Angels.

It's an interesting concept - To Believe, or Not To Believe.

A lot of religious folks call me silly for being an Atheist and still believing in Ghosts, Demons, and Angels. Well, my explanation is that I don't associate their concepts or existence with any God or Goddesses. I have experienced first hand the paranormal. I went to visit The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado (The Shining, anyone?) and quite enjoyed myself. We stayed in the exact room T.A.P.S. (Ghost Hunters) stayed in. Some spooky stuff went on. For instance, a door slammed shut on its own (after my cousin DJ and I asked any Spirits to let us know they were there). Our TV Cabinet opened on its own in the middle of the night (it had latching doors). A hand rubbed my aunt's leg (the room was known for a womanizer). Among other experiences. This wasn't the first place I had experienced the paranormal, of course. Soon after my Grandmother died, I felt her presence. I would smell her perfume that only she wore. I would feel someone sitting on the edge of my bed. Unless someone experiences these things first hand, of course they're going to be skeptical.

Why I believe in Demonic spirits is because a close friend had experienced the wrath of said demons theirselves. FYI, never get a Ouija board. Anyways, my mom's friend had used a Ouija board. She managed to contact something and that something wasn't very nice. A day later, her house burned to the ground. She lost everything in that fire. The only thing that didn't burn was the Ouija board. Creepy, right? Well, she got rid of it and threw it in the dumpster. About a month later she was able to find a nice apartment. She went to go into her new closet, and here sat the Ouija board that she threw away. Still to this day I won't ever go near one of those things, jokingly or not.

Aliens is a rather interesting subject as well. I don't believe the butt probing, Earth visiting Aliens exist. I believe that there IS other lifeforms on other planets and in other Galaxies however. We can not possibly be the only planet with life on it. We just can't be. Are there other humans in other worlds? Are there intelligent creatures in other worlds? Animals? We probably will never know, but the thought is very interesting.

Call me crazy, but I believe in Sasquatch. I believe in the Loch Ness Monster. Why? Because several parts of the world have yet to be fully explored. For instance, the ocean is HUGE, especially when we're talking about how deep it goes. There is a strong possibility that a monster, whether it's Nessie or not, lives in the Big Blue deep down where people rarely go. When the dinosaurs were wiped out (by whatever that may be), the ocean must have protected a number of species. It's likely that one could have been Nessie, or some other prehistoric water dweller that resembles our Legend. Sasquatch on the other hand may be hiding in deep forest terrain. He could be actually a bear or ape who was misidentified. I just feel like our myths and legends have to have some sort of truth in them. Even I couldn't come up with Sasquatch/Nessie on my own, and I am rather creative. Or we're all just crazy and want to believe in myths. ;P

I didn't used to believe in this stuff (other than aliens; just like other people in this thread I think our universe is too infinite to *not* contain other life) but I've slowly come around to it, mostly through my girlfriend who believes in this stuff and has seen many ghosts and spirits and the like. I still haven't, though she claims our house is haunted by something. I do know that some weird things have happened that I can't quite explain, like a knocking sound happening when there was no one there to make the sound. It was on her door (we have separate bedrooms) and she thought it was me, but I was in my room. I heard the sound, though, and thought it was someone knocking on the front door. That was pretty creepy.

For a while I thought it was my grandma maybe, since it's her house, but my sister thinks it's this dressmaker lady who used to own the place. I don't know her name; I keep meaning to see if there's like records of who owned this property to try and discover it. She doesn't seem to like us being here, but I think she's gotten used to it and she just does little things to remind us she's here, now.

I also work at nursing homes; let me tell you right now every single one of those places is haunted, I swear. The first place I ever worked at I heard stories of people walking down the halls but they had no legs. I never saw anything but on several occasions I heard something that sounded exactly like a walker coming down the hall, but it cut itself off abruptly when I got up to see who was coming. I worked nights, so while we had a lot of people there who didn't sleep very well it was still kind of unusual to have the sound just stop like that, and none of the people who used walkers could move so fast that they'd be back in their rooms before I could see who it was.

The second place I worked, I worked the afternoon shift there. This one is probably a little more explainable, but many evenings after dinner and everyone had gone back to their rooms, at about 6pm, I would hear a scraping sound from the upstairs living room, like someone was rearranging the furniture. There was one guy who could have done it, maybe, but whenever I went up to check nothing would be touched and the room would look exactly the same as it did before. I didn't always have time to get up there right away, but... yeah, it was just a little weird.

Finally, in my current job I'm working nights again. Nothing creepy happens, really... except I see a lot of things out of the corner of my eye that are never there when I look at them. And a lot of the residents complain about 'that guy in my bathroom'... but only in certain rooms. They stop talking about him when they're moved to a different room, and the next one to live there starts talking about him again. I've witnessed someone's TV being turned off without the use of a remote, and the resident claimed the guy did it. Several of my coworkers have told me about a black shape in the shape of a person they see, sometimes.

I've never had anything happen to me yet, thankfully. I'm there all alone at night in this job, and that's creepy enough for me. Hopefully the guy continues to leave me be.

As for cryptids... sure, why not? If you're interested in that sort of thing, I highly suggest a podcast I absolutely love, called Lore. He talks about many spooky subjects, but several of them include cryptids of one sort or another, like the Mothman, Little People, and the Jersey Devil. Very interesting stuff.

Edited by silver_chan

To me, the belief that aliens don't exist is a little outrageous. While I don't believe that an alien invasion threatens our planet, I 100% believe that bacteria or other forms of sustained life are available. Look at the size of the universe - we can't be the only life out there. And news of Saturn's moon Enceladus might just be proof of this!

I'm also a strong believer in ghosts. I'm friends with lots of sciency people who are desperate to convert me, but my family and I have had paranormal experiences ourselves. My relatives also go to a medium who has told them things which... Cannot be guessed. Aside from that, I actually just love hearing about ghosts and experiences. I find listening to a person's tales fascinating, and just in general I feel like there's been too many cases for it to just be some mass hysteria type of thing. But who knows.

To me, the belief that aliens don't exist is a little outrageous. While I don't believe that an alien invasion threatens our planet, I 100% believe that bacteria or other forms of sustained life are available. Look at the size of the universe - we can't be the only life out there. And news of Saturn's moon Enceladus might just be proof of this!

To quote Edward J. Weiler; "We know the number of stars in the universe is something like one followed by 23 zeros. Given that number, how arrogant to think ours is the only sun with a planet that supports life, and that it's the only solar system with intelligent life."

As you can probably guess, I am a firm believer in extraterrestrial life. I don't believe in some of the more "out there" theories, like the whole reptilians thing or some others, but I do believe there's life out there, especially with the news about Enceladus and the fact that Mars very well may have had liquid water at some point in the past, as well as the sheer numbers of earth-sized planets out there that could very well meet the requirements for some form of life. Unless we're living in a Dead Space universe, in which case I'm preparing for necromorphs. tongue.gif

When it comes to ghosts, again, firm believer despite describing myself as a logical, scientific person. There's far too much evidence from far too many sources, over far too big a sample area both in regards to time and place, for there to truly be any doubt that spirits exist in some form or another. And since I have had my own fair share of experiences, too, I can't be swayed. Do I automatically believe all ghost stories I hear? Nah. Too many where there's enough doubt or proven/suspected fakery for that. I prefer to look at the evidence and come to my own conclusion.

Finally, cryptids. Do I believe in them? Yes. Even on our own planet, there are such huge areas we have yet to fully explore: the great rainforests, the deepest ocean depths, the mountains with their many cave networks...the chances of species unknown to science living in these areas is extremely high. Just the other week a new species of cavefish was discovered in Europe, so who is to say what else is lurking out there? After all, these stories and myths had to be inspired by SOMETHING...

I believe there is some sort of other life in space even if only little bacteria organism ~ but that will still be considered as "Alien" when found biggrin.gif

Ghosts... I'm quite scared of the thought of them... Everyone in my family can say a ghost story, but they aren't really scary or dangerous.

♦ My mom said that when my grand-grandfather died and she when she went to sleep that night she got woken up and saw him standing next to her bed smiling and then she blinked and he was gone ~ last goodbye I'd say smile.gif

♦When my grandfather died some lamps and a mirror broke by themselves in my grandmas house...

♦When I was still in kindergarten I truly remember that one day another class joined us and there was a deformed boy with crutches and no one talked to him but I played with him and he smiled and waved... When we were leaving the playground I asked the kinder garden teacher where he *can't remember the name* went and she told me that he has been dead for years so why do I ask... ninja.gif

♦ Also when I was already in primary school we went playing on the swings one afternoon with friends on the same kindergarten playground ~ so when we jumped of the swings they kept swinging with the same speed and height still after about 20 minutes we left and went by them again ~ then we ran xd.png

♦ My dog of 13 years died last year, it broke my heart and I still cry after him~ and for the new year my mom likes to read those Angel cards rolleyes.gif I'm skeptic about these things and horscopes xd.png But I went with it and one card fell out of her deck right away and it was a "message from Heaven" daying " Don't worry about me I'm fine </3

Although I believe that aliens exist, I don't think that they visit Earth. As for ghosts, I'm on the fence. I don't believe that there are humanoid cryptids. Although there are many species that have not yet been discovered in the oceans and rain forests of earth, I don't think that any of them would resemble the stuff from legends. Besides, if there was other sentient life on earth aside from humans, humanity would have discovered (and probably destroyed/enslaved) it by now.

I have to agree that the thought that aliens *don't* exist is nuts. Even if it's just little tiny itty bitty things (I'm not good with science-y names), they must exist somewhere out there.

It seems like everyone I know has had some kind of first-hand experience with a ghost, except for me. My mom, especially, used to work in what was considered a haunted restaurant. There was a young girl dressed in blue that used to show up downstairs in the meeting rooms. Then there was the time a man came in the restaurant right as it opened with a briefcase, and then vanished.

I don't know how well the Jersey Devil is known around here, but I did a report on it in middle school and I still totally believe in it. I believe in cryptids of all kinds, mostly... Especially Nessie. My *dream* in life is to go to Loch Ness and just be close to Nessie. I have read every book about Nessie that I can get my hands on.

Just randomly dug up this thread XD

I have random encounters with some stuff that can be considered as paranormal ever since I was a kid. So in my point of view they're kind of real. But the most memorable one so far would probably be connected to doppelgangers.

It just happened unexpectedly one early evening in my grandparents' house, just around last year. That time most relatives of mine went to some birthday party that I wasn't exactly interested in attending and I was left at home with my cousin that I was supposed to share the room with. I was generally contented in staying in that room to play games on my phone all afternoon until the evening came, leaving all windows open to let the breeze in. While I was busy messaging my friends I saw my cousin go outside to take a seat on one of the benches on the porch, her back turned away from me.

Since the distance between us seemed pretty close I kept on trying to get her attention to show one of those memes that I got, but she just wouldn't cooperate. She just sat there ignoring me, until I gradually gave up. I started to feel cold all over. I was just beginning to curl back down on bed when the door to that room opened, only to reveal my cousin standing there, frowning at me. She was wearing the same floral shirt and the same denim shorts.

Well of course I had to do a double look. The porch was empty. I think I was rather shocked at that point I cussed out loud, she thought I was cussing at her. XD I asked her if she happened to loiter around in the porch earlier but she told me she was indoors the whole while. She got a tad bit grumpier when I asked her what's going on and she reasoned out that she was waiting for me to get done with the bathroom for two hours already because I went in there before she could. She thought the toilet swallowed me already because it took me so long and I didn't even tell her it was her turn.

I told her I stayed in that room the whole afternoon, texting my peers and playing mobile games. She looked at me as if I was mad, and I wish I didn't tell her, she got more terrified than I was. When I recounted the whole thing to my grandma when they got back, she quickly believed, telling me that its not the only weird thing that happened in that house and they usually just brushed it off.

Until now I kind of wondered if it's my cousin's face that I'll see if ever that figure actually faced me. >->