The Fluffy Raptor

PETA: Extremist Organization, Mass Slaugther

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan-j-win..._b_2979220.html

WARNING: GRAPHIC

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is an organization that publicly claims to represent the best interest of animals -- indeed their "ethical treatment." Yet approximately 2,000 animals pass through PETA's front door every year and very few make it out alive. The vast majority -- 96 percent in 2011 -- exit the facility out the back door after they have been killed, when Pet Cremation Services of Tidewater stops by on their regular visits to pick up their remains. Between these visits, the bodies are stored in the giant walk-in freezer PETA installed for this very purpose. It is a freezer that cost $9,370 and, like the company which incinerates the bodies of PETA's victims, was paid for with the donations of animal lovers who could never have imagined that the money they donated to help animals would be used to end their lives instead. In fact, in the last 11 years, PETA has killed 29,426 dogs, cats, rabbits, and other domestic animals.

Most animal lovers find this hard to believe. But seeing is believing. And if it is true that a picture speaks a thousand words, the following images speak volumes about who and what PETA really stands for.

Source: whypetakills.org

The PETA headquarters is on the aptly named Front Street. While claiming to be an animal rights organization, PETA does not believe animals have a right to live. Instead, it believes that people have a right to kill them, as long as the killing is done "humanely," which PETA interprets to mean poisoning them with an overdose of barbiturates, even if the animals are not suffering. In 2012, 733 dogs entered this building. They killed 602 of them. Only 12 were adopted. Also in 2012, they impounded 1,110 cats. 1,045 were put to death. Seven of them were adopted. They also took in 34 other companion animals, such as rabbits, of which 28 were put to death. Only four were adopted.

A supermarket dumpster full of garbage bags. When police officers looked inside, they found the bodies of dead animals -- animals killed by PETA. PETA described these animals as "adorable" and "perfect." A veterinarian who naively gave PETA some of the animals, thinking they would find them homes, and examined the dead bodies of others, testified that they were "healthy" and "adoptable."

A mother cat and her two kittens, all perfectly healthy and adoptable and none in danger of being killed until they were given to PETA by a veterinarian who was trying to find them homes and was told by PETA employees that they would have no problem adopting them out. After PETA lied to him and the mother and her kittens were entrusted to their care, they reportedly killed them, within minutes, in the back of a van.

The PETA field killing kit found by police in the back of the PETA death van in Ahsokie, North Carolina.

Source: Associated Press

An Ahsokie Police Detective dressed in a hazmat suit prepares to bury a puppy killed by PETA. This puppy and dozens of other animals including cats and kittens were found by police throughout June of 2005 after PETA employees dumped them in a garbage bin in North Carolina.

Puppies killed by PETA in the back of a van -- a donor-funded slaughterhouse on wheels. Despite $35,000,000 in annual revenues and millions of "animal-loving" members, PETA does not even try to find them homes. PETA has no adoption hours, does no adoption promotion, has no adoption floor, but is registered with the State of Virginia as a "humane society" or "animal shelter."

Source: Virginia Department of Agriculture

According to inspection reports by the Virginia Department of Agriculture, the PETA facility "does not contain sufficient animal enclosures to routinely house the number of animals annually reported as taken into custody... The shelter is not accessible to the public, promoted, or engaged in efforts to facilitate the adoption of animals taken into custody."

Routine inspections often found "no animals to be housed in the facility" or, at best "few animals in custody," despite thousands of them impounded by PETA annually. Since they take in thousands per year, where were they? "90% [of the animals] were euthanized within the first 24 hours of custody," according to the Virginia Department of Agriculture inspector. How can people adopt animals from PETA when they kill the animals they acquire within minutes without ever making them available for adoption? How can people adopt animals when they have no adoption hours, do no adoption promotion, and do not show animals for adoption, choosing to kill them without doing so? In fact, when asked by a reporter what efforts they make to find animals homes, PETA had no comment.

Source: Nathan Winograd

A postcard written and signed by Ingrid Newkirk, PETA's founder, admitting that PETA does not believe animals have a right to live, despite its public perception of PETA as an "animal rights" organization. The right to life is the most fundamental of all rights. It is fundamental because without it, no other "rights" are possible. How can animals be guaranteed the right to food, water, shelter and protection, when those things can be taken away by killing them?

Many animal lovers who have publicly condemned PETA for their killing have received a letter from the PETA legal department, threatening a lawsuit. However, because a lawsuit would allow for subpoenas of PETA employees past and present -- leading to under-oath testimonies about the grisly reality of what has and is going on at PETA headquarters -- it is unlikely that PETA would ever follow-through with these empty threats.

Their donor-funded attorneys rattle their sabers, but know they have a lot more to fear from the public disclosure that would result from a lawsuit than the animal activists who are truthfully -- and, given PETA's threats and intimidation, bravely -- reporting on PETA's atrocities against animals in the hope of bringing them to an end. When you donate to PETA, you not only fund the killing of animals, you fund the intimidation of animal lovers.

Not only does PETA kill animals, they also defend the killing of animals by others. This is a dying kitten in a Houston shelter after staff "lost" the kitten. When he was found, he was near death. His last hours were ones of suffering. Houston officials put job applicants with a history of violence, a history of criminal behavior and those who scored the lowest on city aptitude tests in animal control. When I was hired by the Houston Health Department to assess the shelter, my advice regarding staff was to fire people who abuse animals; hire those who care about them. PETA defended this shelter, urging government officials not to listen to me.

A puppy dying of parvovirus in the Houston shelter is not given anything soft to lie on as she urinates all over herself. Here she sits, unable to keep her head up, alone in a cold, barren stainless steel cage without receiving necessary veterinary care. Other shelters have a better than 90% rate of saving dogs with parvovirus. In a letter to the editor of the Houston paper, PETA publicly defended this shelter, urging Houstonians to reject my advice on the need for reform and how to do so.

The PETA solution: dead "feral" cats in a Florida shelter. PETA successfully defeated SB 1320, a law that would have clarified that nonlethal programs to neuter and release feral cats, rather than killing them, are legal in Florida. As shelters and health departments nationwide embrace trap-neuter-release programs, PETA remains a stalwart opponent of this humane alternative to killing, arguing that healthy feral cats should continue to be killed, even urging their supporters to take them to shelters or veterinarians to do so. The PETA website states that, "the most compassionate choice is to euthanize feral cats. You can ask your veterinarian to do this or, if your local shelter uses an injection of sodium pentobarbital, take the cats there." This shelter used "an injection of sodium pentobarbital," killing the cats in front of other cats, catch-poling the cats as they tried to flee while they urinated and defecated all over the kennel in fear. That is how terrified feral cats behave in shelters. Apparently to PETA, this is as it should be.

A cat in the King County, Washington shelter begs for food and water. Cats in the infirmary were not fed or given water over a three-day holiday weekend and both their food bowls and water bowls are empty. Although staff was assigned to the shelter, supervisors and staff chose to socialize instead. I was hired by the King County Council to assess the shelter. My advice: Hire supervisors who are not part of the same union so as to eliminate conflicts of interest; all staff should be given a checklist of assigned duties; and supervisors should double check that those duties have been done. In a letter to the King County Council, PETA told officials not to listen to me because I was "radical."

Source: Flickr

If PETA had its way, this dog would be killed in every shelter in America because someone says he looks like a "pit bull." According to Ingrid Newkirk, a growing number of shelters are enacting policies banning the adoption of pit bulls and requiring their automatic destruction and PETA "supports the pit bull policy."

Source: Shelby County No Kill Mission

After finishing the year saving 98% of cats and 94% of dogs, the fourth-year Shelby County, Kentucky had 90+ percent save rates, they announced they were crowded and would begin killing animals. Once again, as they have done so many times before,the Shelby County No Kill Mission, a private organization both responsible for and dedicated to ensuring that Shelby County remains No Kill, went to work and the "crisis" was averted, bringing the population down through rescue, foster and adoption.

Unlike Shelby County No Kill Mission, PETA also reached out to officials, but not to help save the animals. PETA didn't ask what they could do with their $35,000,000 a year in revenues and millions of animal-loving members to help save animals being threatened with death, as donors intended and as supporters assumed. They didn't offer to help the Shelby County shelter find homes, build temporary kennels, board animals, foster animals, adopt animals or even just get the word out across Kentucky that animals need help. Instead, PETA sent Shelby County government and shelter officials a gift basket, with a note thanking them for their decision to start killing again after four years. "Thank you for doing the right thing" wrote PETA.

These pictures reveal the truth about PETA, a reality that is deeply at odds with the public's perception of that organization as a radical animal rights group. In practice, PETA is the functional equivalent of a slaughterhouse, while their efforts to undermine the lifesaving work of animal lovers throughout the country continually derail urgently needed reforms that would further the rights of our nation's homeless dogs and cats.

By defending regressive and cruel shelters and sheltering policies that mandate killing, by calling for the death of certain groups of animals entering shelters and by injecting thousands of animals with a fatal dose of poison every year, these actions are not only inconsistent with the mission of an animal rights organization, they are the antithesis of one. Only one question remains: Why is anyone still donating to PETA?

Edited by The Fluffy Raptor

This is one of the reasons I hate PETA. They claim to be helping animals. Suuuure! By KILLING them all!!

This is one of the reasons I hate PETA. They claim to be helping animals. Suuuure! By KILLING them all!!

This. I have NEVER supported PETA; thanks for publicising this.

Wikipedia has fairly comprehensive article on them, including the section on their killing of 'rescued' animals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_for_th...shelter_animals.

Those of us that have been reading the Video Games sub-forum may already be familiar with PETA being generally loony - "PETA Reminds StarCraft Players That Zerglings Have Feelings, Too" (conveniently forgetting that the Zerg are ruthless killing machines), or of course, the PETA vs Pokemon discussion (where PETA suggested that Pokemon games encourage cruelty to animals, and then made a 'parody' pokemon game where you beat up your pokemon while they look at you forlornly), along with a whole load of frankly ludicrous digs against other games (vs Mario and Cooking Mama, to name some).

-snort- Good job PETA.

I've never really understood the point of PETA, it's all just so hypocritical.

PETA =

(apparently well-intentioned)

People who in reality

End creature's lives unnecessarily while

Telling people they're really helping

Animals by finding them homes and fighting for their rights.

In short, they've become a bunch of liars.

I KNEW PETA was lying the WHOLE time. I swear I've hated them since I first heard of them. Now I hate them more.

They put down a cat who had a tiny tumor that could be saved. They're so cruel.

*goes to protest against PETA*

Wow... that's absolutely horrible... those poor animals... sad.gif All of those cats could have lived with me. I think I might just cry.

Wikipedia has fairly comprehensive article on them, including the section on their killing of 'rescued' animals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_for_th...shelter_animals.

Those of us that have been reading the Video Games sub-forum may already be familiar with PETA being generally loony - "PETA Reminds StarCraft Players That Zerglings Have Feelings, Too" (conveniently forgetting that the Zerg are ruthless killing machines), or of course, the PETA vs Pokemon discussion (where PETA suggested that Pokemon games encourage cruelty to animals, and then made a 'parody' pokemon game where you beat up your pokemon while they look at you forlornly), along with a whole load of frankly ludicrous digs against other games (vs Mario and Cooking Mama, to name some).

I remember a thread somewhere around here that showcased the PETA pokemon thing... had a link to the "remaked game" website and everything. I tried to find it. No luck.

I never supported PETA (always was suspicious of them eversince I first heard about them) and my hunch was completely correct. PETA, if any of you members see this, just stop what you're doing and run. Far. Far. Away. Don't look back either because an angry mob of animal-loving DCers will be chasing after you!!

I remember a thread somewhere around here that showcased the PETA pokemon thing... had a link to the "remaked game" website and everything. I tried to find it. No luck.

That thread was deleted in the Pokemon thread clean-up that happened a while ago. Googling 'Peta pokemon game' will get you to the website pretty fast. Not that I recommend anyone go play it (it's idiotic).

People need to understand that PETA does not help animals in the way that we think 'helping animals' means. PETA is a group that strives towards the removal of all animals from human lifestyles. They believe that an animal being owned or having any sort of relationship with a human is wrong and damaging to the animal. They think no one should own or eat any animal, and they euthanize pets because they think a tame animal is a ruined animal that would be better off dead.

If PETA had their way, all domesticated animals would be killed. This is how they think they are helping animals.

Yep. Kill animals they take in, against no-kill animal shelters, against trap-neuter-release programs...

The Pit Bull thing is news to me, and that's absolutely disgusting. Having volunteered at an animal shelter myself for a bit, it's sad hearing the stories of how abused those poor dogs are and the bad misconceptions people have about their entire breed. They're actually one of the nicest breed of dog; just because some people train them to be killers doesn't condemn them all.

The organization disgusts me, it has since I first heard about them and looked up what they were.

People need to understand that PETA does not help animals in the way that we think 'helping animals' means. PETA is a group that strives towards the removal of all animals from human lifestyles. They believe that an animal being owned or having any sort of relationship with a human is wrong and damaging to the animal. They think no one should own or eat any animal, and they euthanize pets because they think a tame animal is a ruined animal that would be better off dead.

If PETA had their way, all domesticated animals would be killed. This is how they think they are helping animals.

This is their viewpoint, yes. While there are some cruelties that come with the existence of domesticated animals (puppy mills for example), PETA condemns every ounce of it (because apparently giving a cat or dog food, water, and shelter is cruel). The argument of whether domestication is right or wrong is something long past in the case of animals that are already domesticated. We can't revert the process, and eradicating them instead of giving them love is disgusting.

Excuse me, I'm rambling (though not at you).

Edited by shikaru

To be honest, I actually used to believe what PETA said until yeah. But I was fifth grade, and kids pick up things fast. Now that I'm a more mature person, so I am not the idiot I used to be. Plus, they're also mind-controlling kids that KFC mercilessly beats their chickens and spray paints them!

What PETA is doing is wrong. It's like saying that you can't buy a sofa, yet they can hoard all the furniture they can. It's so freaking ridiculous.

I regret believing in what that crack house said.

Edited by The Fluffy Raptor

Yeah, I didn't hear about them until I was in high school (I might have heard the name before then but never knew what it meant). Pretty sure it was the KFC stuff I heard about too and decided to look them up to see what the organization was (I just heard the name from whoever was telling me about it, no actual details).

Even when they aren't killing they're being disgusting. Giving children gruesome pamphlets to try to scare them into believing that their parents are horrible animal-killers. Or just generally being fanatical about things and ruining the chances of legitimate animal rights groups (because throwing blood on a model wearing a fur coat does nothing other than aggravate the people in the fur industry. It doesn't actually do anything to stop them or raise awareness of the issues). They harass horse owners who take wonderful care of their animals for no reason other than to make them feel miserable for having a horse.

And even though the circus does abuse their animals, does PETA really have to send out models to strip naked to "liberate" the animals?

Yeah, the KFC thing was what first gave me a bad feeling towards PETA. The fact that they made up so much with that fiasco that I didn't believe a word they said after that.

It's just terrible. I can't believe that PETA even rewarded a bomber for bombing a laboratory back in the 80's, way before I was born.

As a matter of serious interest - what are they for and why do they do any of this stuff ? Why not just disband and carry on with life ?? I am baffled as well as disgusted.

As a matter of serious interest - what are they for and why do they do any of this stuff ? Why not just disband and carry on with life ?? I am baffled as well as disgusted.

They believe that it's cruel to keep an animal in captivity, and this extends to pets. To them, keeping an animal as a pet is just as cruel as beating it, so they kill animals as a way to save them from this "cruelty". They won't disband, the organization seriously believes in this twisted viewpoint and that's why they do these terrible things.

They believe that it's cruel to keep an animal in captivity, and this extends to pets. To them, keeping an animal as a pet is just as cruel as beating it, so they kill animals as a way to save them from this "cruelty". They won't disband, the organization seriously believes in this twisted viewpoint and that's why they do these terrible things.

And that isn't including what they think of livestock, or the fur industry. I highly doubt that they would ever willingly disband as long as there is any perceived cruelty left.