TJ09

2016-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 10th Birthday!

Happy 10th, Dragon Cave! Thank you for staying fantastic <3

Now, ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, everyone! I hope you enjoy the Candelabras! Birthday candles on a birthday dragon ;D As promised, here’s some information about them, and how they came to be!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Background information

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Despite them being coincidentally candle-themed, they actually were not designed with the birthday in mind; rather, they were originally a Valentine’s concept that looked like this:

user posted image > user posted image > user posted image > user posted image

With a spriter’s alt that looked like this:

user posted image > user posted image > user posted image > user posted image

I’m sure the latter set looks a bit familiar, heheh. After they went unused, I decided the original coloration was pretty horrible, so I messed with the alt set to come up with the final sprites, and edited the concept a bit to work for a regular release! I think it all turned out for the better, truthfully, since these buggers were still able to find a place in the cave (and in a better form), and we get to enjoy the lovely (and snarly) Mutamores!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Concept information

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Candelabras are attuned to light mana, and though this, generate lights at the ends of their wing fingers (I know, huge shocker there). These lights don’t actually ever disappear until an individual dies, though they can be dimmed and brightened to suit the needs of each dragon. Though Candelabras are fairly strong, they are not particularly agile, and as such, rely on their wing lights to attract prey for easy kills. The light between their horns glows brighter than the other eight, and can actually be manipulated so that it moves within a small nearby radius, which furthers their ability to lure prey.

The orangey glow to their wings is also the result of light mana; actually a reddish color similar to their maroon scales, the wing membranes are coated in a thin film containing light mana which causes the wings to become a shiny, striking gold when hit with direct light. This effect is also apparent on the backs of their wings, but to a lesser degree.

As mentioned in their descriptions, Candelabras are fiercely devoted to those who have earned their trust, even giving their lives to save those close to them. It is for this reason hatchlings follow around their keepers; they view them as parental figures, and as such, want to remain close to them. By the time a captive-raised Candelabra reaches adulthood, it is almost certain to commit fully to protecting its keeper—unless betrayed, that is. Though generally good-natured, they do not take kindly to promises being broken, and will often respond to acts deemed betrayals with an outburst of rage, sometimes large enough to trigger a permanent shift in an individual’s personality. Speaking of these outbursts, don’t betray a Candelabra. Just don’t do it. You might end up nearly the same shade of red as they are, if you catch my drift.

Mating displays involve elaborate aerial maneuvers with intricate flickering of their wing lights—a sight that’s equal parts majestic and hilarious, since their wings are on the small side (they require a slight boost from magic to be able to fly well).

In terms of personality, they’re actually quite clumsy, and are sometimes considered to be a bit lunkish. Though not the brightest, they're quite loving and affectionate (unless you do a stupid and anger them), and make great companions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, that's all for now! I'll be sure to include a lot of this and fill in some other areas when I write up the encyclopedia entries. I’ll also do my best to answer questions here in the thread!

I hope you enjoy the Candelabras!

Edited by PieMaster

user posted image

when the 10th birthday just right

--

HERE WE GO! happy birthday DC! ♪~ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Whoo! Happy birthday, DC!

YAY!!!!!! biggrin.gif Happy birthday DC!

SOOOOOO excited to see a return of the old pinks! biggrin.gif

Also, now I get to collect MY b-day eggs too! happy.gif

Edited by HaloGoddess

Happy Anniversary Dragon Cave!

Birthday! =D

I am totally going to be hoarding for those new zombies. They're gorgeous.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Happy Anniversary Dragon Cave!!

whoa CRAZY STUFF D:

biggrin.gif so much cool stuff!!!

can we maybe get a way to like clear out our actions box though? that'd be cool.

Edited by 626lavaheart

Holy frick the features and rereleases. Thanks so much, TJ! Happy birthday DC!

Edit: woooow the new biome art is spectacular. Thank you, artists!

Edited by AGYK