thetadragon

Dragcave on discord

It appears the admin/OP of the channel has gone inactive. As such, this thread has been closed.

Hey all, and admins, especially admins. Sorted out a system on discord for dragcave. Not going to post an invite link yet...for obvious reasons! But, and this means you too tj, admins if you want to help moderate the discord chat message me in the formum messanger. I posted an image of what I made.

user posted image

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I think while it's probably totally okay to set up your own private server for whatever you like, the DC IRC is something explicitly hosted by T.J. and run by DC moderators. In order for a discord server to really become endorsed by the admin, it'd probably have to be set up and managed similarly.

I think while it's probably totally okay to set up your own private server for whatever you like, the DC IRC is something explicitly hosted by T.J. and run by DC moderators. In order for a discord server to really become endorsed by the admin, it'd probably have to be set up and managed similarly.

I know, as that is why I haven't posted the invite code. I sent a link of this topic to Tj and also to a moderator.

While I'll argue in favor of Discord for its accessibility, what Odeen said is more important. The DC IRC is ran by TJ and moderators he appointed, and a Discord should be managed similarly if it's to be considered an official server.

That said, there's nothing stopping you from making a hugely successful unofficial DC Discord server.

Edited by CNR4806

What should I do in the meantime? Post the invite code? I still need moderators. Of course, I wasn't planning on appointing mods myself. I was hoping that if tj saw this discord as the framework, he would take over and appoint those he trusts.

Edited by thetadragon

DC already has a well-established IRC. I'm not sure what TJ's thought are on either: migrating to discord or establishing a discord server in addition to IRC, but if he wishes to do either, I'm sure he will set it up himself.

As such, I'm going to go ahead and move this over to the Fansite section for you. This can still function as a fan-run and fan-based chat if you so wish. If not, let us know and we'll just close the thread. ^^

As someone who lurks on Discord a lot, I'd support a DC Discord server, fan-made or not - it makes little difference which.

If you want someone to help you moderate sometimes, just shoot me a PM! (Here or on Discord tongue.gif username is Zeditha there as well)

While I'll argue in favor of Discord for its accessibility, what Odeen said is more important. The DC IRC is ran by TJ and moderators he appointed, and a Discord should be managed similarly if it's to be considered an official server.

That said, there's nothing stopping you from making a hugely successful unofficial DC Discord server.

This. There's also one on Slack. There was a discord one, actually, which fell over in a matter of weeks.

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=176152

But I for one can't be bothered with all these chat sites; IRC is there for when one is needed, and everyone knows about it - or can know about it. It's official; we don't need a special invite - what's not to love ?

Invite anyone you like to your personal chat site, sure - but it isn't official and I'm pretty sure TJ wouldn't want to switch away from the one we have, which is managed by site administrators and sticks to the rules he sets for HIS sites.

Edited by fuzzbucket

IRC is there for when one is needed, and everyone knows about it - or can know about it. It's official; we don't need a special invite

ehh, it takes me a lot more effort to remember login and server details for one of many IRC channels than it does for me to click a link once and have permanent, instant access.

i'd love to see DC on discord. it is infinitely more convenient in my opinion, and the interface is much more flexible & available.

but as others have said it isn't likely. so. whatever works.

I am on discord constantly, and it is much easier for me than IRC is. I would say discord is largely becoming the standard for online game based chats, by and large. That's not to say that IRC is any less useful than it was, but a much larger proportion of younger people and newer members, I would imagine, will primarily be using discord.

The biggest convenience is the fact that it has its own standalone client, syncs across devices smoothly, channels are easy to customize and organize, and the interface is very intuitive. It has an overlay feature if you are currently in-game, as well. There is so much you can do with it, much more than IRC.

I essentially use it exclusively for all my non email/text communication, with only one exception- Dragon Cave irc. Everything else I play has a discord server already, including Pokemon, Smash, and even my own college has a discord for computer science majors.

Imo, I highly support it. Whether or not it will ever be official, I hope to be able to join such a server and collaborate with DC players who are also using discord.

^

yes, all of that and more -- it is easy to access on mobile, chats are saved (making remembering things & DMs much easier!), you can have more than one channel easily and readily accessible on the same server, plus the extra customization of nicknames/roles/avatars, & the overall interface makes it much simpler to access and multitask between different chats at once.

i would love to see more of the IRC folks migrate to Discord, but for as long as that's not happening, @thetadragon I'd be fully supportive of seeing you host the server yourself. :]

They do expire. That's what happened to the other discord that someone tried to set up.