_Z_

Lineage Terminology.

Common lineage examples:

Stairstep - All CB dragons are the same gender (excluding the first generation, of course, where they're both CB's  tongue.gif)

Stairstep, V2 & Stairstep, V3 - These are also stairsteps, even though the breeds change.  It doesn't matter, if one gender is all CBs, the breeds don't matter at all.

Spiral - The CB dragons to continue the line alternate genders.  There are also staggered version of these, where 2-3 CB dragons will be one gender, then it switches.

It can also be a spiral if the breeds change, like V2 and V3 of the stairstep above, although the pattern is not as clear in those cases.

Even Generation - All CB dragons are in the same generation, resulting in a lineage where every single dragon possible is filled in for its generation.

Purebred - All dragons in the lineage are the same species.

Purebred, V2 - Most people also consider this purebred, as well, since it's the same species, just different colorations.  Some people would call this "Alternating Purebred" since each generation is the same color.  Generally coloration doesn't matter, only breed.  This affects ridgewings, dorsals, blacks/alt blacks, vines/alt vines, nebula coloration, or stripes.

Some people consider hybrids/bred-only breeds as purebred if all but the first generation are the hybrid or bred-only breed.  Others only if the first generation of CBs follow the same pattern.  Others don't consider it purebred at all.  That's more a matter of opinion.

Checkerboard - One gender is always one breed, while the other gender is a different breed.  These are usually even-gen.

There are also mirrors (V1: where the pattern is mirrored in the last generation; for example if the checkerboard above was mated to a male magi where all males were magi and all females were red; V2: where the colors are mirrored to some sort of "opposite," like this not-quite perfect foil - Frilled Braig should be a Green Earth; V3: where the pattern is repeated back with the same or similarly-colored dragons or patterns, like if the tinsel stairstep from the first example gendered incorrectly ("misgendered"), and was mated with another stairstep of the same generation and similar colors, as in this example.)

Inbred - This is a severe example, since the 2nd gens are brother and sister, but if a dragon has any duplicate ancestors in its lineage, it's considered inbred.

Some people purposely inbreed siblings together and create long-lineaged gorgeous patterns.

But really, only your imagination is the limit.  If you think it will be pretty, go ahead and try it.  Some of my random favorites:

Mixed Valentine '09 Checkerboards

Word Codes

Significant Names (Another One) & Naming Patterns (the unnamed silver was "Silver Lining")

Offspring Requirements

"Purebred" w/ Base

Your only limit is imagination.

Thank you Solarcat, for the detailed explanation.

Thank you for this terminology explanation.

I am running into the term "false gen" in the fora. It seems to be related to a dead dragon in the line. Can you clarify this term? (and maybe add it to the others?)

"False gen" dragons are dragons that have at least one dead ancestor that cuts off the lineage at some point. They're more commonly called "deadlines" these days, and are frequently created to make "clean" and/or "pretty" lineages.

A bloodswap is a swap for the same dragon with the same lineage that is unrelated to the one you have to offer for swap. (For example, if I bred a 2nd gen swallowtail from a CB male ice and CB female swallowtail parent and asked for a bloodswap, I am asking for the exact same dragon, but from someone else's dragons.)

Hope this helps. c:

I caught this egg earlier from the AP. I am just wondering what this kind of lineage this is called? The gender suddenly changes in the line and breaks the original pattern. http://dragcave.net/lineage/qkBqK

I've seen those called broken staircases but others might have different names for it.

Thanks for the reply smile.gif. That is a really nice lineage. Maybe instead of arrowhead, I will just call it a mixed even gen arrow O_o, just till I hear otherwise.

Your welcome and thank you. smile.gif

That name sounds good to me as well.

I caught this egg earlier from the AP. I am just wondering what this kind of lineage this is called? The gender suddenly changes in the line and breaks the original pattern. http://dragcave.net/lineage/qkBqK

I usually call that a stairstep, with the number of "steps" added to the description. Yours would be a three step stairstep. I've had dragons misgender like that and simply go with thesame amount of "steps" in that gender, then reverse it.

Another question :/ I just produced this egg (had no room *sad face*) but I am wondering what it would be called lineage wise: http://dragcave.net/lineage/fRfIu

I usually just call those mirrors, but that applies to many different lineage types, so... smile.gif

I usually just call those mirrors, but that applies to many different lineage types, so... smile.gif

It kind of reminds me of a sideways heart. With stripes. A stripey heart.

Circles sounds like a good name.

Also, I'm still having trouble understanding what a bloodswap is. Could somebody try re-explaining it for me please??

It kind of reminds me of a sideways heart. With stripes. A stripey heart.

Circles sounds like a good name.

Also, I'm still having trouble understanding what a bloodswap is. Could somebody try re-explaining it for me please??

A bloodswap is a dragon with the same lineage, just different parents. The same breeds are involved in the exact same pattern, but the ancestry is different. A lot of people ask for bloodswaps in trading threads so that they can get new blood for lineages to avoid inbreeding.

For example, if I asked for a bloodswap on this dragon, someone could offer this one. They are both second-generation and purebred, but their parents are different.

Edited by Chanilove

A bloodswap is a dragon with the same lineage, just different parents. The same breeds are involved in the exact same pattern, but the ancestry is different. A lot of people ask for bloodswaps in trading threads so that they can get new blood for lineages to avoid inbreeding.

For example, if I asked for a bloodswap on this dragon, someone could offer this one. They are both second-generation and purebred, but their parents are different.

Oooooh!! I get it! Thank you so much, that was a really good explanation.

curious if this: http://dragcave.net/lineage/ckqbN  lineage is checkerboard or not. idk which it is cuz the two lines mend at the final sunsongs. is this a completed lineage? if so should i breed more dragons with it?

From what I've seen, people still call that a double checkerboard despite the 2nd last gen because essentially, when you pull those apart, they are still checkerboards. Whether you think it's a complete lineage or not is completely up to you since you own the "final" dragon. :3 I'd personally say it is finished since the sunsong parents tie up the end of the lineage quite nicely. It wouldn't be unimaginable to find another two 4G male sunsong checkers to extend it another generation, however.

This might be a silly question, but what is a Thuwed? I know it's a lineage, but what makes a Thuwed a Thuwed? Lol, I ask because I've seen quite a few dragons with the lineage "Thuwed"... but unlike with the Dorkface lineage, they don't all relate back to one dragon.

AThuwed is a dragon descended from any of TJ09's dragons. If it has a Thuwed in its lineage, it's considered a Thuwed, similar to the Dorkface lineage.

This might be a silly question, but what is a Thuwed? I know it's a lineage, but what makes a Thuwed a Thuwed? Lol, I ask because I've seen quite a few dragons with the lineage "Thuwed"... but unlike with the Dorkface lineage, they don't all relate back to one dragon.

Here's a link to the thuwed thread in case you wish to read it. http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=120196