Shokomon

One Day Mini-Events

This is an idea spawned over on the Blame other person or say nothing prompt topic in the Site Discussion forum.

Basically, I would like suggests small one day mini-events that promote a dragon that is fairly common in the Cave, something not unlike the April Fool's 2017, where depending on your choices you got an mint (and occasionally a balloon).

- Though, unlike the April Fools Event, where chance played a heavy part, this would be more like a special drop to encourage people to pick up a certain common egg.

So like say, Nocturnes are really common in cave, because no one is picking up them. But, then, an event occurs on, lets say, Saturday, called Day of the Nocturnes. For that day, anyone who enters the cave gets a prompt saying:

"The Nocturne Dragons were celebrating a special holiday, and there are a lot eggs created in aftermath. Feeling sorry for all these eggs lying around, You decided to take one and hold on to it."

And then you get an Nocturne egg, but like there is a little mark in the corner of the egg indicating that you got this Nocturne on the special day (like a little sun, user posted image). Otherwise, it functions about the same as a normal Nocturne (though born in the Cave instead of a biome.) The event lasts one day, and everything goes back to normal the following day.

I would like small events like that that would encourage people to pick up really common eggs, that normally get ignored. It would be ratio-based, so that the target of the event changes to match what's most common in the cave.

1. This will not include Gold, Silvers, or Prizes. The whole point of the mini-event is to get people to collect and raise common eggs.
  2. No Chickens or Dinos either for the same reasons as above.
  3. It should probably happen on the Weekends (like Friday, Saturday, or Sunday) to make it easier for people to grab the egg.
  4. The event should not happen around any other event (Festival of Eggs, Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's, Releases of New Dragons). There's already enough going on during those times.
  5. If this is to be a regular thing, it should be no more than once a month. I feel like more than that might be too distracting for normal game play.
  6. There should be an opt out feature, so that people who choose not to participate can leave the event at will. (Like say a choice that let's you walk away from the getting a Nocturne.) [bolded because this is a concern brought up multiple times.]
    • Possible: An announcement-like prompt at the top of the page, stating what egg is the special egg of the day, so people could choose whether or not to pick up the egg.
    • Possible: A prompt in the Cave page or Biome page that let's you choose to opt out for the event as needed.
    • Possible: Could function similar to main events where there is a prompt at the top of the page, and you have to click to enter the event. (Thanks, Raptor of Dragons!)
  7. The badge should probably be a separate image from the dragon itself. Maybe next to the dragon sprite or on the view page.
  8. The event should not block access to the biomes or the AP, so people can play DC as normal if they do not want to participate in the event.
Anyone have anything to add? Comments? Complaints? Critiques?

Please Discuss.

And keep it civil. You can disagree with the topic or each other, but don't go after each other's throats for it.

(If there was an idea similar to this already, I apologize for creating a duplicate. I looked, but I didn't find anything similar.)

--

Styles of Mini-Events

• Special Drop - Release style Event
  • Choice Event - an April Fool's Day like event where certain choices get you certain eggs; allows for multiple tries.
  • Mini Events tied to obscure holidays
Possible Event Ideas
  • Flamingo Parade - Flamingo Wyverns (by Raptor of Dragons) - Feburary?
  • Rescue the Balloons - Balloon Dragons (by Erinthebookworm)
  • Albino Fest - Albino Dragons (by Pluviophillia)
  • Summer Solstice - Sun-related dragons (by luxrax)
  • Saint Patrick's Day - Green-colored dragons (by luxrax)
  • Pygmies for the Kiddies (aka Kid's Day Party) - Pygmy dragons (by Rainbowlight) - Kid's day (1st July)
  • Turkey Day - Feathered dragons - (by TigersLover) - Thanksgiving / Thanksgiving Weekend
  • Beach Day - Common coast biome dragons [ex: Coastal Waverunners, Black Capped Teimars, Blacktips, etc.] (by TigersLover)
  • Valkemare Day - Green (Earth) Dragons and possibly other nature-related dragons (by TigersLover) - Earth day (April 22)
  • Electricity Day - Electric Dragons and other common lightning-aligned dragons (by Rainbowlight)
  • Annual Carnivial - Common multi-colored dragons (by Pluviophillia)
  • Campfire Storytime - Fire-associated dragons [ex: Hellfire Wyverns, Embers, Falconiforms, etc.] (by irrelevantindigo) - Summer
  • Tea Time/Tea Appreciation Day - Black Tea Dragons (by TigersLover)
  • (Double & Single) Full Moon Celebration - Moon-related dragons [ex: Bleeding Moons, Celestials, Lunar Heralds, Moonstones, etc.] (by TigersLover)
  • Spring or Fall Equinoxes - ????
Example Markers & Identifiers
  • Forum Artist-made icons
    • Tiny Sun by Shokomon - user posted image
    • Tiny Clover by Shokomon- user posted image
  • Off-site icons
    • Small Chicken (Thanksgiving) - 🐔
    • Carousel (Carnival) - 🎠
    • Moon (Moon associated) -🌙
    • Tree (Earth Day/Earth affinity) - 🌳
    • Octopus (Aquatic dragons) 🐙
    • Hourglass (Time affinity) ⏳
  • Inverted Sprites? (via code like Aprils Fool's 2017)
Edit (06/01): Adding more ideas. Edited by Shokomon

I approve! I do have an amazing idea for Flamingo Wyverns. We have something down here in Louisiana called The Flamingo Parade. Maybe once a year during February the Flamingo Wyverns get together and hold a Flamingo Party in celebration (granted they won't know what a parade is).

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

I think that'd be fun to see which dragon is actually the most common based on ratios, if TJ could set it up that way.

But I also think it might be hype for the first few times, then fade out and no one "played" because everything's normal after one day, save for the "Cave" biome, which I haven't personally seen anyone want that. Can't really tell on lineage view, so what's the point of the biome thing except for those that breed biome specific or cb biome collectors I guess.

I just don't think it'd be worth the effort on TJ's part and might not accomplish what it intends (to help blockers move thru). And there will always be common breeds, so...

@ Raptor of Dragons - I added your idea! Though it would probably have to be at the end or beginning of February to avoid the overlap with the Valentine's Day Events.

@Nightwalkerkey - While that may be true, if this last even proves anything, it's that people will want things on the site even if they are common as long as they are are unique.

We are a bunch of collectors on this site, and no doubt, there are some people want all the things.

I totally support this! I don't know how many are in my boat, but here is my experience: I don't really collect Mints. They are not my favorite, not by a long shot. But I will totally keep the mint that I got from the April Fools Day game, not just because it says "Cave" but because I got it in a special way. That matters to me. I would feel the same way about eggs received through something like this suggestion.

This is a really cute idea! I would like something a bit more interactive than just a banner at the top of the page telling me what kind of egg to pick up. Just a brief choice like what we got yesterday, but maybe with multiple chances or just less risk of getting nothing. Just any amount of interactivity, doesn't have to be big.

Support. I would love to collect commons that have a little badge or from some event. Nothing fancy, just a little indicator. Would really add some variety to every day collecting.

I support this too! I thought of this idea with the ballon dragons, which not fit with the DC premise, but I was thinking about how balloon eggs float, right? What if someone decided to take these flaoting eggs and tie them up with string, making them actual balloons. We, being the dragon enthusiasts that we are, see this and go 'hold on...' and reprimand the person for being so very Not Cool and take an egg to raise. (I couldn't help laughing when I thought of this)

If this doesn't work (which I don't think it will), we could always just have a festival for each cave blocking breed.

(Do Balloons count as common? They are clarified as cave blockers, but on the wiki they're tagged as uncommon... >> )

Having a choice to opt out and not receive an egg would be good for those who don't want to participate, or just need to save their slots for something else.

Personally, I love little quirks like having a "Location: Cave" egg that I wouldn't otherwise have. Heck, it's why I collect CB codes. P: While it wouldn't make an impact on most lineages, it would allow for for one thing: new Copper and Xeno pairings. Dragons like Guardians have been around long enough for older users to have "Cave" ones that can breed any color or type, but newer releases, such as Tetras, are locked to the biomes that they drop in. A Red/Brown male Copper x female Tetra checker is not possible, since Coast and Jungle females only breed Green Coppers. The same thing also applies to Xenowyrms, since Tetras can only breed Thalassas/Chronos, or the Xeno parent's type.

Edited by 11th

I support mini-events like this where everyone would get a shot at getting a "special" cave common if they wanted. I also think this would do wonders to garner interest in dragons that might otherwise have fallen by the wayside. I admit I'm not big on mints, but their cave/upside-down status made me want one and it was disappointing that I only got one try and failed. So, thank you for adding in the option for multiple tries so people don't have to resort to trading or AP hunting like I did.

Ooh I support! I would like an event like this for a common breed that I really like, those being Albinos. Maybe an Albino Fest? tongue.gif

This seems like it could be interesting, but I'd only want it to happen as long as everyone who wanted an egg and was online for the event could get one, no randomness or chance.

I 100% support this idea! The events could take place on "special" days that aren't really celebrated. Like, sun-related dragons on the summer solstice, green dragons on St. Patrick's day... I like Raptor of Dragons's idea of bringing in kind of obscure holidays, too.

Yay! I'm glad you guys are liking this idea!

Let me add people's suggestions.

Maybe we could have several styles of events to help keep the interest up! Though, they should allow for multiple tries, so that everyone on that day can at least get one egg.

The whole point is to get people to pick up commons after all.

I am personally not much interested in this, although it is overall simpler than something like the Mossy BSA.

I'm not sure if this would work. If it does happen, taking an egg should be entirely optional. There were more than a few people posting in the SD thread for the April Fools event saying they were pissed at having a common egg that they can't abandon for 5 hours added to their scroll without their permission. The only way to not get an egg from that event was to not try to hunt the cave or get lucky/unlucky enough to get eaten, and if they actually wanted to hunt the cave that day they kind of had to participate.

If these new events take the chance aspect out of it (since some people were unhappy about being eaten and losing out on an egg), there needs to be a way to know what is on the table before you take the egg and voluntarily opt out of the event. So the person should know that if they do X they will have a flamingo egg with "cave" as where it was born, and without having to consult the forums. That way the people who want a special flamingo can have it, and the people who don't don't have reason to complain.

I 100% support this idea! The events could take place on "special" days that aren't really celebrated. Like, sun-related dragons on the summer solstice, green dragons on St. Patrick's day... I like Raptor of Dragons's idea of bringing in kind of obscure holidays, too.

DEFINATELY support this cause the more obscure/"pagan" holidays deserve just as much attention as the recognized holidays like Halloween...which was/sometimes still is called by the "pagans" The Feast of Sovan...and Christmas. smile.gif

I like this idea, it would be a good way to get rid of cave blockers. I also have some suggestions:

1. maybe have inverted sprites (or with something extra,another color or the such, since we all know how the April's Fool's upside down sprites are very sought after...);

2. Beach day in which we collect Coastal Waverunners, Black Capped Teimars, blacktips or any combination of these or other common eggs from the coast

3. Earth day (?) In which we collect Green (Earth) dragons and/or other green or earth related eggs

That's what I thought of so far, will keep an eye on this thread smile.gif !

I'm not sure if this would work. If it does happen, taking an egg should be entirely optional. There were more than a few people posting in the SD thread for the April Fools event saying they were pissed at having a common egg that they can't abandon for 5 hours added to their scroll without their permission. The only way to not get an egg from that event was to not try to hunt the cave or get lucky/unlucky enough to get eaten, and if they actually wanted to hunt the cave that day they kind of had to participate.

If these new events take the chance aspect out of it (since some people were unhappy about being eaten and losing out on an egg), there needs to be a way to know what is on the table before you take the egg and voluntarily opt out of the event. So the person should know that if they do X they will have a flamingo egg with "cave" as where it was born, and without having to consult the forums. That way the people who want a special flamingo can have it, and the people who don't don't have reason to complain.

What if the one day events acted like main holidays? You know how you have to click to enter the event, what if it was like that so people who don't want to an egg don't have to participate and the ones who do could simply just click on it.

Thaanksgiving with feathered dragons and some hidden chickens? 🐔

The chickens would work if they were common. However, Thanksgiving might not work as well as you hope because believe it or not, we do get releases every now and then in November

However, Thanksgiving might not work as well as you hope because believe it or not, we do get releases every now and then in November

What do you mean? Don't we generally get a release most months? And you suggested an event to take place in February, when we have the Valentine's event and release... I'm a bit confused.