angelicdragonpuppy

Limit AP eggs by breeder

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on mass breedings. Some people love them, some people hate them, some people just don't care about them. However, regardless of people's opinions, the fact is thus: it is very easy for the average gold scroll player to lock the entire AP with eggs from their scroll. In the case of more avid collectors, sometimes they can lock it for hours.

While some mass breedings are met with joy, others are met with groans of despair. In the in interests of balancing both camps, what if only 5 to 10 eggs in the AP can be from the same breeder at any given time?

Example: I breed 200 eggs to the AP. 5 / 10 of them will appear. Whenever one is grabbed, another one will pop up until all are gone. Since these "blocked" eggs will take longer to hit the AP than they normally would, they will be lower time than the surrounding eggs and thus more desirable, ensuring even really sluggish walls move a bit faster.

The obvious con is that those who enjoy seeing mass breedings will see less of them, but even that's fixable by a bit of collaboration between several people. You can still flood the AP with whiptails, you just need to get a few friends or forum goers to assist.

So, thoughts?

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

After spending several hours in the forum today grumbling about mass breeding, what can I say? 100% support!

Meh. Nah. People are free to play however they want. If they want to massbreed the AP with stuff, they have the right to do so. If you don't like walls, go do something else. They don't last very long anyways. (admittedly, this last one lasted a good bit, but that's rare, and even then, it was, what, several hours?) I don't think it's fair to them to restrict them in that way.

I don't see any need to restrict massbreeding. They aren't a big enough problem at the moment to warrant a change.

Meh. Nah. People are free to play however they want. If they want to massbreed the AP with stuff, they have the right to do so. If you don't like walls, go do something else. They don't last very long anyways. (admittedly, this last one lasted a good bit, but that's rare, and even then, it was, what, several hours?) I don't think it's fair to them to restrict them in that way.

Well, they can still massbreed, all the eggs will still eventually appear, and breeders can't pick up eggs they breed anyway (unless someone else grabs and abandons them first). So it's more liberating for other players than restrictive for breeders.

Don't get me wrong, either--I mass breed most of my 200-ish Sunsongs every now and then, and participate in most of the mass breeding events on the forums that I see--but I also don't think it's very fair to others that it IS so easy for just one of us to essentially tell people "pick up my eggs, or be forced out of the AP until it's over." At least with a bit more variety it's not as overwhelming. >___<

I don't see any need to restrict massbreeding. They aren't a big enough problem at the moment to warrant a change.

They're not, essentially, a "problem" at all. Some people like them. Some don't. A simple difference in opinion, rather.

They're not a problem, but they can be frustrating. People would still be able to massbreed, but they wouldn't keep other players (who may be running on a limited schedule) to hunt in the AP.

Well, they can still massbreed, all the eggs will still eventually appear, and breeders can't pick up eggs they breed anyway (unless someone else grabs and abandons them first). So it's more liberating for other players than restrictive for breeders.

Don't get me wrong, either--I mass breed most of my 200-ish Sunsongs every now and then, and participate in most of the mass breeding events on the forums that I see--but I also don't think it's very fair to others that it IS so easy for just one of us to essentially tell people "pick up my eggs, or be forced out of the AP until it's over." At least with a bit more variety it's not as overwhelming. >___<

Thing is, they don't last long. A couple of hours, max. If you can't wait that long... then that's your problem. (speaking in general)

They're not a problem, but they can be frustrating. People would still be able to massbreed, but they wouldn't keep other players (who may be running on a limited schedule) to hunt in the AP.

But, in this case, they can't make walls anymore. Essentially still massbreeding, but not the same.

Honestly, I don't CARE if a person breeds every dragon they own and dumps the eggs on the AP.

Truth is, IF there is nothing on the AP I want, I look in the Cave and vis versa.

Maybe I am easy going about this? I don't see any need to limit it. Ultimately, I don't see it as MY place to tell another user how to play this game... whether I like what they are doing or not... so long as it is within the rules ( AND massbreeding is NOT breaking any rule, to my knowledge ). I get that some people get frustrated by egg walls, however, I also am not sure I see the need to tell others that like them they cannot have them... or only with MUCH more work. It wouldn't be deemed acceptable to DEMAND that a person breed dragons of theirs, would it? I am not sure demanding that they NOT breed is any better. IF a person is breeding for shinys and gets a lot of fails, what then, would they still be able to dump fails tot eh AP? OR woudl they have to keep then. If they have to keep them, mightn't it be an impediment to breeding for things that are actually wanted?

So... I don't think it is necessary at all.

Edited by Silverswift

It's a problem in that it does upset the variety of the AP and thus hinders the ability of people to hunt. I just don't think it generally lasts long enough to be a serious issue. If epic massbreeds of a single breed become more prevalent I would be more inclined to believe that we should limit a single user's impact on the AP at any given time, but this isn't the case right now.

Having just witnessed a recent neo-flood (which was amazing but at the same time...well...) I have to say that this sounds like a good suggestion. It does not limit the amount of eggs users can breed, and it does not limit the amount of eggs users can abandon, so it doesn't really restrict user freedom on the breeding end, which I think is great.

However, I have a question about the suggestion. You said as soon as someone takes one of the eggs, another one will appear to replace it, until all of them are gone. So let's say I mass-breed 50 eggs, and 10 of them appear in the AP. Someone takes one. Does the slot immediately get filled by one of the 40 backlogged eggs, or does the system randomly choose any abandoned egg?

If the slot is "guaranteed" to be filled from that user's backlog, wouldn't it be easy for 4 or 5 people to team up, occupy all 30 or so available slots, and just keep breeding to create ridiculously long backlogs with no chance of any other egg showing?

I think a better idea is to instead really drop the hatch time for eggs. A thread at some point proposed that the "add a day to AP eggs" thing should be left to eggs 3 days and under making them become 4 days and under eggs to allow for influence and such. another good thing is keeping eggs higher than 4 days from comming up in the AP or immediately dropping an eggs timer to 4 days and maybe 5-0 hours this way picking them up and hatching them isnt a giant hassle.

Some of the reason for mass breeding is to put those eggs out there into an area that drop their time and makes them hopefully desirable. and as limited as some people's schedules are I don't think grabbing an egg or two out of their usual hunt to incuhatch it and freeze it or raise it is gonna kill them. If it can help with ratios then why not.

Also if mass breedings are bugging people so much considering so many of the eggs are at around 5-4 days and xx hours what does that say about the potential to piss of players with the kick to the AP idea or any idea that tosses eggs into the AP in the hopes of making them incuhatchable desirable? If people cannot hand certain mass breedings or AP floods, if ideas like the AP kick statr flooding the AP with CB's of certain unwanted breeds, imagine the uproar and unhappiness that will flood the forums?

Edited by AnanoKimi

I'm quite opposed to this suggestion. I believe it's major effect would be to discourage people who are mass-breeding breeds that need their numbers raised. Breeds that are low in population need people who are willing to breed them and any move to restrict that would send a negative message.

Really, I've seen a lot of people enjoying mass-breeds. It's only today when someone chose a less popular breed that this comes up. Just because you don't happen to like that particular breed doesn't mean suddenly something needs changed. It didn't really last that long in the big scheme of things.

I know you're saying that all those eggs would eventually hit the AP, but again, I think this sends the wrong kind of message to people breeding large numbers of dragons to the AP. On the whole "forcing people to pick up my eggs or leave the AP" thing - nonsense. No one is trying to force anyone to do anything. What they are doing, intentionally or not, is helping balance the ratios.

Having just witnessed a recent neo-flood (which was amazing but at the same time...well...) I have to say that this sounds like a good suggestion. It does not limit the amount of eggs users can breed, and it does not limit the amount of eggs users can abandon, so it doesn't really restrict user freedom on the breeding end, which I think is great.

However, I have a question about the suggestion. You said as soon as someone takes one of the eggs, another one will appear to replace it, until all of them are gone. So let's say I mass-breed 50 eggs, and 10 of them appear in the AP. Someone takes one. Does the slot immediately get filled by one of the 40 backlogged eggs, or does the system randomly choose any abandoned egg?

If the slot is "guaranteed" to be filled from that user's backlog, wouldn't it be easy for 4 or 5 people to team up, occupy all 30 or so available slots, and just keep breeding to create ridiculously long backlogs with no chance of any other egg showing?

IF it DOESN"T restrict breeding and abandoning then I am somewhat less opposed to it.

That said... I am unsure. As someone said. The breeding DOES even out ratios... whether people like it or not

This post brings up an interesting point.... how does the AP select which eggs from the backlog get pulled forward first? Is it random or is their some method to what ones get brought forward to be taken?

Edited by Silverswift

Truth is, IF there is nothing on the AP I want, I look in the Cave and vis versa.

Unfortunately most of the time the cave is pretty boring, though--the same CB Blockers as always, slow moving and full time, etc. The AP has more variety and low time eggs and is thus usually a nice relief from the cave.

It would go to your next egg, since it'd be lower time and the next one to show. And yes, people could do that--but people could do it now just as well. 10 people breeding 100 eggs each is going to take a long time to clear whether they all line up after one another or whether they each take up a few slots at a time. The difference is, by restricting each breeder to just a few slots, you DO require more teamwork to have such a big effect on the AP. The effect with 10 people will be pretty much the same either way, but a player alone won't be able to have that same effect anymore. Does that make sense?

This post brings up an interesting point.... how does the AP select which eggs from the backlog get pulled forward first? Is it random or is their some method to what ones get brought forward to be taken?

It is strictly by time left right now.

Recoding to allow this would likely be child's play for TJ, as he did something similar once before, except each breeder's eggs stacked into a single "stack" with only the oldest egg showing. It proved to be immensely unpopular, but that was also back when the AP blocked the cave.

It would go to your next egg, since it'd be lower time and the next one to show. And yes, people could do that--but people could do it now just as well. 10 people breeding 100 eggs each is going to take a long time to clear whether they all line up after one another or whether they each take up a few slots at a time. The difference is, by restricting each breeder to just a few slots, you DO require more teamwork to have such a big effect on the AP. The effect with 10 people will be pretty much the same either way, but a player alone won't be able to have that same effect anymore. Does that make sense?

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. From what I understand, you are saying that if I were to breed 50 eggs, and 10 of them were to show up (insta-replaced by the remaining 40), that would "reserve" 10 slots of the AP exclusively to me until all 50 eggs have been taken.

Even as it currently is, within the huge neo-flood, I occasionally saw one or two eggs of another species. If the system reserves egg slots for anyone who breeds enough to create a backlog, then it would only take 3 (10 each) or 6 (5 each) people breeding a decent amount of eggs to make it literally impossible to see any other eggs until their backlogs are empty. I think this could become an even worse issue than it is right now.

Maybe you could alter the suggestion to not have the system reserve these slots?

Edited by beacker1160

I really see no need for this at the present time. Mass breeds up until today have mainly been welcomed or at least tolerated without complaint for the most part. I really think this is an overreaction.

If events like today's become commonplace then it might be necessary to try something like this, but most previous walls have been very short-lived.

Unfortunately most of the time the cave is pretty boring, though--the same CB Blockers as always, slow moving and full time, etc. The AP has more variety and low time eggs and is thus usually a nice relief from the cave.

This is true.

HOWEVER! I don't believe that disallowing massbreedings in order to try to make more variety in the AP would help THAT problem. As someone pointed out there ARE the ratios to deal with. Which is to say... if the massbreeders did breed them, then those eggs would be generated some other way (At least, IF I understand correctly... if I am wrong please do feel free to correct me), which would mean they would show up when someone is breeding for something desirable or the cave would generate them, leading to more 'boring blockers' in the cave ( I don't REALLY even like the term, personally, but that is another story.

Here's an analogy I think works well in this situation.

You go grocery shopping every week. Depending on who you are, maybe you only go once a week, maybe you go everyday. Regardless, you purchase different items (i.e. eggs, milk, sugar, corn, etc.). Suddenly, the day you go to the grocery store (people who AP fish once a week), or one of the days you go to the store (people who AP fish more than once a week) the only product the store is selling is artichokes. If you want one artichoke, or maybe a few, this is a good way to fulfill that want/need; however, if you don't want more than one, or any at all, this artichoke only stock is a hindrance to you. Now, there will be artichoke lovers who will go crazy, and fill their basket (egg/hatchie slots) with artichokes, and be happy. But a good portion of the store's shoppers will be irked/annoyed/disappointed. Many will leave the store empty handed and hungry. If that is their only shopping day, it's a horrid deal for them. Even for those who shop twice a week, this is a bad deal.

Mass breeding is kind of like that. It's no big deal to some, or even awesome for some, but a really bad thing to others. Which is why I support a suggestion like this.

Suddenly, the day you go to the grocery store (people who AP fish once a week), or one of the days you go to the store (people who AP fish more than once a week) the only product the store is selling is artichokes. If you want one artichoke, or maybe a few, this is a good way to fulfill that want/need; however, if you don't want more than one, or any at all, this artichoke only stock is a hindrance to you. Now, there will be artichoke lovers who will go crazy, and fill their basket (egg/hatchie slots) with artichokes, and be happy. But a good portion of the store's shoppers will be irked/annoyed/disappointed. Many will leave the store empty handed and hungry. If that is their only shopping day, it's a horrid deal for them. Even for those who shop twice a week, this is a bad deal.

Using your analogy, this suggestion would alter how the current system reacts to these massive artichoke floods in the following manner:

Instead of artichokes just flooding into the produce shelf, each supplier of the artichokes gets 5 or 10 spaces on the shelf. Any additional crates of artichokes waits in the back. As soon as the customer grabs a bunch of artichokes, those waiting in the back immediately fill up that spot. There is no chance for any other vegetable to fill that "reserved" slot until all the artichokes have been sold, thus freeing up the spot.

P.S. I don't think I like artichokes anymore ;-;

Edited by beacker1160