vixen1

ANSWERED:Username Change

Probably a duplicate but looking through didn't yield any results... (Apologies in advance!)

Anyway, I made my account in 2008... I am now 20... Having my name as "Vixen1" is actually kind of legitimately upsetting to me.

And of course, I can't just remake.

Will there ever be an option to change usernames? (Maybe like a "one-time-only" thing? I dunno man)

Or maybe on a case-by-case basis?

I get so embarrassed when people see my username on both the website and on the forums. Like, oh my god don't look at me, but please look at my dragons?

Various issues and possible solutions/varieties ideas of ways this could be implemented are listed below.

As for the hypothetical issues, Deviantart handled it right - an user can change their username maximally once every 6 months and can't claim usernames that were EVER in use, and if the old username is typed in the address, it always redirects to the current one and is no longer visible after a few months time since the change was made.

I'd like to see sth like this on DC.

So:

-old username is not freed (to prevent impersonations and other kinds of abuse)

-using old username in the https://dragcave.net/user/OLDUSERNAME link will redirect to the user's new link user/NEWUSERNAME (but using the new link directly doesn't reveal the old username - or it wouldn't make any sense to change the username that was anyhow shameful to the user; Deviantart solved this right: if you visit my DA sub-pages you cant' see wha tmy previosu username was anymore: http://vixendra.deviantart.com/gallery/ but if you know my old username and visit my pages using my old username instead of the new one, you have it revealed but ONLY THEN)

-old username not showing if the scroll was visited from the new username's link (the only way to check if the new username belongs to the old username person is to check if the old username link redirects to the new username)

-limited in time, I think a change possible every 5 years is more than enough OR by account (let's say up to 2 changes ever)

-to login you can use both the old and the new username OR just the new username.

I think I would be fine with a username change with a long cooldown of 6 months to a year (to prevent overall confusion and "spamming" of the option; it also clarifies that usernames are supposed to be more permanent titles and not just nicknames that change at random), and if anyone was to go searching for a person who has changed his username it would list the old username next to the new one for a limited period of time; say, a week or two. So if someone named "crazeecaterpilar" fixed up the username, so the new username is "CrazyCaterpillar", searching for the username "crazeecaterpilar" would list it as follows:

User not found. Listing similar usernames instead:

-CrazyCaterpillar (old username: crazeecaterpilar)

-(List of similar usernames follow; recently-changed usernames always take priority)

The section in parenthesis could disappear in 7 days after the name change so that stalking can't be a huge problem (or hiding past mistakes), while at the same time keeping people searching for that user-say, to keep up-to-date for an IOU or something-informed that the name change did happen, and that in the future they should search for that username instead. I would be happy with this option.

there should be a limit of how many times you can change though within a certain amount of time. that could help dispose of some scammers and people constantly changing their name or we could change it so that way our scrolls are based on an ID number and the name of the scroll is akin to our dragons and their codes we can change it but we cannot change the code

I think it would be best to list a user's old usernames right there on their posts, in the sidebar, under the avatar with all the other info.

Perhaps, in profiles, it can have a section that could say "previously known as..." and a list of that persons past usernames - that way, you can still see previous usernames, ect.

I also agree that username changes should have a cooldown. Like many games, ect...lets take minecraft for example - that has a 30 day cooldown on username changes. And there are also sites which show a minecraft players previous usernames, too. so I don't think allowing username changes would really be a bad thing - so long as the system of doing so can't be abused, which it wouldn't be with a cooldown.

If this happens, I think the name trail should be permanent. If I promised someone a 2nd gen gold for their lineage project and mine just aren't cooperating, if they change their username in the meantime and the name trail is very short lived, they aren't getting that gold because I won't be able to find them when they finally do produce.

If nothing else (without a permanent name trail) there should be a warning that past acquaintances might not be able to find them, and that any promises made to them (of whatever nature) might not be able to be filled.

Here's a thought. $5 for a name change. Works on another forum I am on. And having to pay for something like that does not impact game play.

Even though I don't need this - yet - could TJ have like a "name changer" mod where people that want their names changed go to them and they will change it for TJ.

Eg:

I want to change my name from aussieJJDude to aussiepotatodude and I PM the name changer mod, asking if they could change me forum account or scroll... And then they would change it for me...?

^^^ That way people are happy to get their names, and TJ can do his TJ things. However, I have no idea if its even possible... but thought it could be done.

Of course, limiting it and having some suggestions previously mentioned would be reccomended... Thoughts?

Edit: cant' spell

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I would like to change my username for 2 reasons: I don't like it anymore and I would like that my scroll name and my username would be the same, so it's more easy to find my scroll...

The main problem in my opinion is: if you have a trade with someone or you're looking for an old friend of yours, what happen if they have changed their username?

There could be also people who change their names just to "disappear" and this could create some bad situations...

In my opinion we should be able to change our username 3 times, but there should be a way to visualize the old usernames if someone search among users.

For example:

My currently name is Naruhina_94, if I change it with Shayrla and someone still look for Naruhina_94 he/she would see:

We've found none Naruhina_94.

The current member Shayrla had this username some months ago.

or

We've found Shayrla.

The current member had another username some months ago. Previously was Naruhina_94.

The old usernames would be saved in site memory for 6 months and nobody would be able to choose them to prevent double names.

Edited by Naruhina_94

Some time ago (years?) TJ said he was working on something to allow users to change their own names (not sure if that was scroll or forum or both). But nothing has come to be of that, yet. There are questions about it in the Help section fairly frequently, so it is obviously something that users would find helpful.

I like this idea. As mentioned before, tons of people keep asking for the option...

... I also wonder if in the future we could have an option to change scroll names... That'd be great too. ;o;

Oh my gods please. Both my scroll and forum names are a bit troublesome...

Yes please. And just a small suggestion...maybe we can have something similar to what Steam has. If we change our username our old one(s) would be listed under "view usernames" to prevent confusion. Could work for both our scroll and the forum.

I agree with putting a limit on it. I hate sites with unlimited changes because there are some people that change so often I can't keep track of them. >___>

Please. My scroll name is not only ancient, but it was also unfortunately made during that regrettable period of time in which I was much younger and trying really hard to be random.

I regret everything every time I log in.

I would absolutely love the option to change my usernames, both here and on the site itself--I don't even use the screen name I've got on my forums account anymore. Kinda needs updating a little bit, if I do say so myself.

I agree with putting a limit on it. I hate sites with unlimited changes because there are some people that change so often I can't keep track of them. >___>

Yes, this. I sometimes go crazy when people on my lists change all the time. I seriously have no idea who some people are when they do that. It's hardly necessary. Maybe a once per 6 month thing would be good. Or maybe a year..

Either way. I would like a Forum AND Scroll name change option. Please. I will donate my kidney if that needs to happen. tongue.gif

Edit: As for the Steam dropdown name thing to show past names... I would not like that. I kinda want to forget my past names. And it would be nice for people who want to start new.

Edited by Lyxii

I wouldn't mind it if it was limited and at least mods had a way of seeing past user names used.

I would love this.

For both scrolls and forums.

"MissNoShame" was something I decided forever ago when I uh... was still being a troublesome little brat and spoke the worst of my mind on things I shouldn't have.

It's become more of a reminder of how immature I've been rather than a name that I'd like to use... xd.png

A change option would be amazing, even if it is limited.

Edited by MissNoShame

This would also be a feasible option to not get view bombed- a lot of us who don't have links to our scrolls get bombed because our forum names are the same as our scroll names :/

I am fortunate enough to have a user name that is simple but generally not taken, not tied to some sort of game/story/etc that I might find childish or silly as I get older, and something that I could use without appending numbers and/or was available as both a scroll name and forum name while still not having other users making similar user names where people might confuse us. And fortunately its not so specific that if I get some creepy stalker it becomes an issue.

But I know most people aren't always that lucky and I wouldn't want to be in their position without an option to change a name at least once. Creating a new account all over seems to look more like skirting rules rather than just regretting a name choice.

On the one hand, this is a great thing for people who made an error in their usernames or who have outgrown them. It'd be really great to be able to change it.

On the other hand, unless there's a public way for anybody to see previous usernames this has the potential to be abused.

People who get themselves onto the blacklists of various trading/gifting threats could potentially change their names and then attempt to make use of the threads again. Especially if they change their sigs or something.

There's also the selfish reason of "I have a few people on my personal blacklists that I don't want to trade with and I don't want to possibly trade with them due to a username change"...

I would absolutely love this feature! Limit wise, I think once every 60 days would work fine, like it is on Facebook. If that's too soon, though, I can see anywhere from there to 6 months working.

Edited by PieMaster

I see a lot of people ask about doing this and I understand the reasons, so I support this. Also, I do agree that a limit and a way to see past usernames would be best (or at least quite helpful!). My username is actually really personal and important to me, and has been for quite some time, so I can't see myself changing it. But it would be very nice for other people who want it. smile.gif

I support this, as you all can probably see why. xd.png "Cavedragon49990" was the idea of a brilliant 9 year old... I would love to change my username now. rolleyes.gif

For the concern about blacklisting as KageSora brought up: I suppose Naruhina's idea of a "We've found no [old user]. The current member [new user] had this username [x amount of time] ago" sort of feature could work for that.

My only problem with that, however, is cyberstalking. I had some issues with someone who was watching my accounts awhile back, and if that sort of a change was implemented, it could have been possible that the person would have caught my username change. Perhaps for that, we could have a feature where you must be a member of the forum/DC itself, before having the current user revealed? I'm not positive something like that could be implemented, but that's my main concern with that.

On the one hand, this is a great thing for people who made an error in their usernames or who have outgrown them. It'd be really great to be able to change it.

On the other hand, unless there's a public way for anybody to see previous usernames this has the potential to be abused.

People who get themselves onto the blacklists of various trading/gifting threats could potentially change their names and then attempt to make use of the threads again. Especially if they change their sigs or something.

There's also the selfish reason of "I have a few people on my personal blacklists that I don't want to trade with and I don't want to possibly trade with them due to a username change"...

Please no.

I don't want others to see what my past name was at all. I have extremely personal reasons for this, and would hate to have it be so easy for others to see something I wanted to get rid of in the first place.

I like the suggestion above by the mod. If there is a "past names" list, I would only want mods to see it, no one else. If there are banned people from threads, just ask a mod to check.

As for people you personally banned, perhaps the forum can still remember the person's account # rather than the name. So they remain blocked, regardless of name change.

This would be great to have for all the reasons mentioned already, with a time limit. Only mods (and maybe high-leveled accounts?) should be able to see all past usernames an account has had; the feature shouldn't be available for all users for privacy reasons. It does become an issue for something like blacklists, but putting the account number after the banned name on those lists is an easy fix.

Personally, I'd love for name changing to be available, only so I can capitalize this pesky d. I'm a stickler for orthography and my own username doesn't reflect it.

I have actually gotten people in my ask and stuff that have ridiculed my username. Apparently the "5432" is uncreative and sloppy when it actually has special meaningfor fourteen year old me...yay for haters. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, it would be wonderful to have some sort of option.

Is it even possible for mods change usernames, or must it be done by our might Lord TJ? For the Forum and DC?

And perhaps if there was a way to make it that only mods could see old usernames? Is that even possible? That way people couldn't just escape in certain cases. But there should be a limit and a way to turn it off. Just imagine some scammer taking advantage of this.

Only mods (and maybe high-leveled accounts?) should be able to see all past usernames an account has had; the feature shouldn't be available for all users for privacy reasons.

What is a "high level account"? Like, user level - how many posts people have? I don't understand why level 10s should be able to see it but not level threes. o.o

Is it even possible for mods change usernames,

Nope.

Nope.

I am assuming TJ has looked into ways before as I think I have seen things pertaining to this topic before. Is it more trouble than it's worth?

What if there were competitions such as the ones we had for shimmer dragons?

I am assuming TJ has looked into ways before as I think I have seen things pertaining to this topic before. Is it more trouble than it's worth?

What if there were competitions such as the ones we had for shimmer dragons?

TJ can change names, mods cannot. I am not sure if non-admins changing names is supported by current forum software or would require an update. The reason he stopped taking requests was due to time constraints, so putting more time into this for a competition doesn't make sense. It is an idea that was suggested in the past that I personally have never liked because I think it would be very frustrating for users who wanted name changes to be denied because we decided to let some users win a name change every now and then, although the idea did have support from some. (I do also think that it would be a bit of a waste of time as well since it would just be easier to allow name changes in some capacity, something that - while we have not heard about recently - was something TJ did not object to in the past and even mentioned he would work on a way to let users change their own names, although I am not sure where TJ stands on this now as it has been, IIRC, years since he said that.)

This, very much. Like, once a year should be enough. Maybe with a 24-hour-period to veto the change.

For example: I'm known here as olympe. However, I'd like to change it to Olympe. (Not very creative, but, duh, I feel a capital letter fits better.)

So, I could change my username to Olympe, and have a 24-hour-period to veto that change (in case I realize I had a typo in my new username or whatever it was my daughter changing my username or whatever. There's always the case of evil siblings doing stuff to your dragons or account...) Once I've changed my username, I cannot change it for another year.

I'll offer you one thought, I'm on a forum where you CAN change your name (though you can track down the old one - and I think that is essential just like in ebay etc - to prevent scamming and bad traders - sorry to whomever that was... but this isn't about hiding !) BUT - you have to PAY - as I recall, it's $15 AUD.

That might make TJ happier about it (MONEY is always good) and would also discourage frivolous changes every 10 minutes ! Because otherwise that WOULD happen and it would be really annoying for people who like to know who they are talking to.

Cross posted - and yes, a limit on how often would be good.

Edited by fuzzbucket