Snowwall

Underfeeding warning

There is a warning about overfeeding, aka "One or more of your eggs are sick and may die". Could we get a similar thing for underfed dragons, say, when a day is left in a stage?

Because I've visited my scroll and all hatchies looked similar and safe - that is, "grown wings and close to maturing", while, in fact, one was not on any hatchery/signature feeding and has died unexpectedly. A banner could've prevented it and pointed out that, unlike my self-caught hatchlings, the traded only has one day left sad.gif

*If ND experimenters think it will be repetitive, maybe make it an option like the "Accepting help" banner?

*Could both things appear on DC home page, not only on the scroll itself?

If a dragon is sick you get the warning. Hatchie or egg. That's what triggers the warning, so I don't see how this would work.

The sickness warning is for too many views. I think they are asking for a warning when you haven't got enough views?

I don't really see a need for a warning for not enough views.

It's kinda implicit that if you don't have enough views, the egg or hatchling will die.

Besides, you can see how many view, unique views, and clicks your eggs/hatchlings have on the main dragons page.

- Though, after reading through the front post again, it seems like you want something that will assure you that your hatchling or egg has enough views. I feel like that is a part of the gameplay. Like you are not supposed to know how much exactly your egg/hatchling needs to grow up. It's part of figure out how to raise the dragons.

- I think the current recommendations from other players is 2:1 views:unique views ratio, and that any clicks are an extra boost. So, if things die, it's usually because they don't have enough unique views.

Maybe a better warning would be like "You have egg(s) that will die in less than 2 days." and then have the low time eggs underneath.

That would be more helpful, since you can't see the timer for eggs on the Dragons page

I don't think it's needed. All you need to do is check if you have any eggs/hatchlings that have less than 4 days left. If you do, they're underfed. And if they're underfed, just put them in an ER - or several.

And, yes, I think it's your responsibility to check how much time a traded egg/hatchling has left. After all, you can even see the "time left" in the teleport, so it's not too much to ask for you to actually read that stuff.

Maybe a better warning would be like "You have egg(s) that will die in less than 2 days." and then have the low time eggs underneath.

That would be more helpful, since you can't see the timer for eggs on the Dragons page

That sounds reasonable to me. Though I do think as a general rule, it's on the player to make sure their traded dragons are in fansites. That's part of the game.

I'm really sorry that the OP's hatchling died however. And it had 5,032/427 views. One would think that was enough, even for a prize dragon. Snowwall, did you try reviving it?

Edited by Laura-Borealis

I've seen people forget about their eggs and not having sorted scrolls ~ and then the eggs die because there was no such indications anywhere to warn them...

So I actually don't think it's such a bad idea and you would only get it when the egg has under 1 day left, so even experimenters won't really be bothered with it that much ~ it will remind them they will soon be able to try get them NDs ☺

So support from my side happy.gif

Either sort your scroll, even if only temporary (dropdown filter: Sort by age), or just use a freaking fansite where all you need to do is enter your scroll. Many of them (EATW, AoND ...) even show you how much time your eggs and hatchlings have left even if you don't have your scroll sorted.

So, no, I still really don't see the need or this. The site doesn't have to take over responsibility for your neglect.

ETA: Apparently, Snowwall hasn't tried reviving yet, or the hatchling would either be alive or the tombstone would be gone ("disintegrated").

Edited by olympe

ETA: Apparently, Snowwall hasn't tried reviving yet, or the hatchling would either be alive or the tombstone would be gone ("disintegrated").

Tombstone would stay for 14 days, actually...

Sorry, then I must be wrong. I was under the impression that the tombstone vanished after a failed attempt at revival.

Sorry, then I must be wrong. I was under the impression that the tombstone vanished after a failed attempt at revival.

OH ! Does it ? I didn't know that. One second....

OK - no, it doesn't !

https://dragcave.net/view/0rsAY

Just murdered and failed to revive !

Because I've visited my scroll and all hatchies looked similar and safe - that is, "grown wings and close to maturing", while, in fact, one was not on any hatchery/signature feeding and has died unexpectedly. A banner could've prevented it and pointed out that, unlike my self-caught hatchlings, the traded only has one day left sad.gif

It doesn't really matter how many views your hatchie did or did not get. Unless it has changed, an egg or hatchie needs a push to grow or hatch. By that I mean someone must give them a view to hatch or grow up. If not in any fansite and if you did not do it yourself, it will die. You can only do it yourself by opening the page that others see when they click your scroll link. (If you only had the 'your dragons' page and not the 'viewing dragons' page I don't think it works)

Regardless, there are 4 days between hatching and death and I think that is plenty of time to check and make sure all is well. So, I cannot support this.

Edited by ainisarie

I would not mind something like Shokomon's suggestion, but I'm with others who believe that it's up to you to make sure that all of your dragons are added to fansites after a trade. If you were able to access your scroll and assumed it was fine based on the fact that it matured, it probably could have been caught in time and added to an ER before it died. I hope revive works, but the little countdown to death is there for a reason.

I don't care about this either way. Sometimes I do forget about the eggs on my scroll until they are dangerously low on time, or sometimes I forget a hatchling is stunned by the person who traded it to me so it looks all fine and dandy because it's already gendered but it won't actually grow up because stun prevented all views and after it wears off, the hatchie needs fresh views to grow up. So yes it can be helpful for me as well, but... like I said I don't care either ways because I don't even see very pressing customizations coming into effect so I doubt this will ever get on the radar for implementation.

I wouldn't mind a message reminding you that one or more of your eggs or hatchlings is close to death, but I hope it could be turned off as well. I would constantly have it on my page, since right now I'm spending a significant amount of my time fogging hatchlings to death.

I would only support this if it were an optional thing, because way too many of us would get sick and tired of always having this "reminder" that we don't need.

It is your responsibility to keep track of your growing dragons. If a dragon died from not enough views, that means that it had four full days where it could have grown up and didn't. That's four full days you could have stuck it in a fansite and it would've grown up quickly. If it's a trade, all trades show the time left right there in the trade itself, so it's really on you if you didn't take notice of that.

It doesn't really matter how many views your hatchie did or did not get.  Unless it has changed, an egg or hatchie needs a push to grow or hatch.  By that I mean someone must give them a view to hatch or grow up.  If not in any fansite and if you did not do it yourself, it will die.  You can only do it yourself by opening the page that others see when they click your scroll link.  (If you only had the 'your dragons' page and not the 'viewing dragons' page I don't think it works)

This. A lot of people haven't registered this, even though TJ posted about it at some length once. I only realised when I had had everything fogged and then realised that a hatchie wasn't gaining any views after unfogging to finish up - until I kickstarted it again.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I feel like a warning would kind of defeat a couple aspects of the cave.

Obviously I'm new and don't know how everything works, but when an egg/hatchi dies the little dead/failure sprite shows up as sort of a consequence. And despite being coveted rares, neglects are also sort of a consequence.

The soft shell warning is really nice imo because I find some of my eggs have been able to tollerate different amounts of views in short periods of time.

Where as it's obvious when an egg has less than 3 days to hatch and hasn't yet. Its gonna die if you don't do something.

@indigo: I think you hit the nail on the head. We already have a warning - it's the timer.

I'm on the fence, but this is the suggestion I would prefer, although I don't think there should be a warning until the egg gets down to one day or half a day left. But this suggestion is simpler and more straightforward than the underfeeding warning.

There's been times when I was super busy when I grabbed some eggs and didn't realize how long it'd been since I checked in. Some times when I should have checked the time and didn't because I thought it'd only been a day or so. Fortunately, I was pretty obsessive about checking time when I was on and have terrible sleep habits anyway, so I managed to get them in ERs on time, but it was close. I could easily see if I had healthier sleep habits that I could have just gone to bed and went through weeks of losing eggs.

On the other hand, there are 1) more casual players who don't need to incubate every single egg and have it hatch at exactly 4d left and 2) anybody who at least periodically dabbles in creating NDs. For both these types of player, a low time warning could be constant/more common and very annoying.

I don't think it makes sense to make this something that is optional, but it is one thing I might prefer if it were an option.

All that considering, unless I get thesis-writing busy again, this probably won't impact me, so I don't have a strong opinion on it either way.

It seems that the consensus is that an underfeeding warning is unnecessary, because it's the player responsibility to make sure their egg/hatchling has enough views to grow.

And since all dragons (whether egg or hatchling) move to the next stage at less than 4 days until death if they have enough views, it's considered the players responsibility to make sure to put the dragons in high traffic places, so they can get enough views.

However, it seems like the consensus is more divided on the idea of a low time warning, due to differences between play styles. Despite being helpful in cases where you lose track of time and eggs, the warning would become irritatingly common for those who purposely wait for eggs to reach very low times. That seems to be the common issue.

I guess what we could do is have a option in the accounts page like we do for whether we want help raising eggs or not. Maybe it could say something like this:

" □ Check here if you want a warning for eggs/hatchlings with less than 1 day to live."

Or something like that. And if you click it, then the next time you get some low time dragons, the warning pops up:

"You have [insert number] egg(s)/hatchlings(s) that will die in less than 1 day."

- And then, the low time dragons are listed underneath the warning.

Would this option be better?

Edit: And the initial setting for the warning would be off, because, in the end, it is your responsibility to take care of the eggs/hatchlings, so they can grow up. Eventually, you could turn on the warning if you feel like you need the extra help.

Edited by Shokomon

Sure, making it optional might solve the issue - but considering TJ doesn't like to dump too many options onto the account settings page, it might not be a good idea. (Can't we just make options optional, anyway?)

possibly: displaying the amount of time left (probably as a short "#d#h" format) in a new column alongside views/UVs/clicks? could add some clutter, but it would work for me.

possibly: displaying the amount of time left (probably as a short "#d#h" format) in a new column alongside views/UVs/clicks? could add some clutter, but it would work for me.

THAT I could live with - it would annoy me, but it seems to cover the only real concern - forgetting when you grabbed the egg.

I'm in absolute full support of this suggestion.

Here's how I see it working:

The text at the top could read: "One or more of your eggs/hatchlings is close to death. They require views to survive."

And then under that, like with the Sickness banner, the eggs in question would appear. I think that their time (as shown on their view page) should be shown as well; perhaps in red for those under, say, 5 hours?