RainbowTheAlbinoServal

Play as one of our dragons

So, I just came up with this idea. What if we can choose one of our dragons to play as?

Warning: this is a huge addiction.

Everything would be changed if you were playing as a dragon.

For examble, searching for eggs (can take that as adopting eggs)

The text would be like this:

Alpine: "As you fly on the sky, you stumbled across a pile of abandoned eggs at the top of the mountain. You decided to adopt one. Which do you pick?"

Coast: "As you walk along the coast, you stumbled across a pile of abandoned eggs on the sand. You look around, and there were no ones around. You decided to take an egg. Which do you pick?"

Desert: "You walk alone the sandy fields, and you came across a pile of abandoned eggs. You decided to adopt one. Which do you pick"?

Forest: "As you search through the forest, you found a cave. There is a pile of abandoned eggs left outside. You look around, and sees some people. They don't seem to notice you though. You decided to take an egg. Which do you pick?"

Jungle: "You swiftly flies through the jungle, and came across a nesting field. You see a pile of eggs on an abandoned nest. You look around. It seems that everyone is off hunting. You decided to take an egg. Which do you pick?"

Volcano: "As you struggled to not get hit by the lava, you came across a nesting area. You sees a few abandoned eggs scattered around, and you decided to take one. Which do you pick?"

In the forest, there is a chance that an adult is around, and you have to leave quick when this text show: "Someone notices you and thought you were trying to steal an egg. Quick, run before they attack!"

If you don't leave in 5 mins, the dragon that you're playing as will "get injured". This means you cant play as that dragon for one week-one month depends on the injury.

Also, you have more chance to find the dragon you're playing as' breed. If you're playing as a neglected, you have a very very small chance of finding your own breed. When that happens, this text will show: "Look, it's an egg of your own kind! Looks like a horrible human left it there just like how your human did. Take it?"

You will have to type Take it or Leave it to finish the action.

Some specific things for one breed only:

Vamp: bite the egg you found.

Pygmy: Enter a barn. You can find chicken eggs there.

Magelight pygmy: kill chicken or bring it back to the cave.

For the barn, the text that will show:

"You squish your way through a tiny hole that leads into a barn. Nice. As you look around, luckily there is no humans around. There is some chicken eggs though. Examine eggs?"

If you choose a chicken egg to examine, there is a 50% chance the eggs is unfertilized, and a 50% chance that the egg is fertilized.

Texts: "You examined the egg. Great, it's unfertilized. You can still feed it to the hatchlings though. Take it?"

You can choose Take it or Leave it.

"You examined the egg. It can hatch! Take it?"

Same options as before.

For magelight pygmies:

"You look around the barn. There are no eggs, but there are some chickens though. You pounce on one and pin it down. Kill it or bring it back?"

You have two options: kill or bring the chicken back.

Kill text: "You bite the chicken's neck. Great, now it's dead. You can at least feed it to the hatchlings though. Bring it back or leave it?"

You have to type either option.

Now, for the feed option:

Only available on hatchlings with more than three days left, and can only be fed once. Needs to have a dead chicken or an unfertilized chicken egg to feed. When fed, will decrease 10 hours on the hatchling's timer.

That's all! Feel free to leave more suggestion

Edited by Rainbowlight

i would like this. i just have one question. you said the dragon we're playing as can die i hope you dont mean like die die as gone for good. im hoping just maybe a cooldown of about a month until you can play as the dragon again

i rather not have that as a feature. does the dragon die on our scroll? so like if its dead then we only have a tombstone and no more of the actual dragon sprite?

You will just have to be careful, it's only a chance that the adult is there, and you have five minutes to leave

It should not be a problem.

So like Lioden, but with dragons? No support. That's a completely different type of game altogether.

If you want to roleplay as one of your dragons as you do things there's nothing stopping you. When you go to the Alpine you can think about your chosen dragon (or whatever!) finding an egg stash on top of a mountain. But the official lore, afaik, is that we're humans drawing pictures of dragons in a literal scroll. It wouldn't make sense to change it at this point. And, really, if its just text changes people would stop noticing them very quickly. I guarantee you that very, very few people read all the text every time they go to the AP, biomes, etc. It would be a waste of time and effort that has no real purpose except to destroy established lore.

However a separate thing, like a Holiday event/minigame, would be very cool. Kind of like the cave decorating thing to attract a mate, but more in-depth? I'd love something like that.

Hmmm...

Or you can find a mate out in the wild too

I'm keeping my idea. At least there is the barn, which is were you can get chickens from.

Also, I have no idea what Lioden is.

Edited by Rainbowlight

You do know that dragons do not always successfully revive, right? Many times they disintegrate.

Also, if I was a dragon, why would I steal eggs that were not of my own breed if the parent is there? I can see "adopting" AP eggs, but not stealing CB ones.

Also, what is the benefit of dying? Why do you have to die in the first place? Dead hatchlings that don't revive take up scroll slots.

Parts of this sound interesting (like finding more if your own breed), but like others said, we have an RP section or you can write your own fanfic or something instead of changing the mechanics of the game.

So, right now, no support from me.

Would this be an opt-in feature? If I chose not to play this way, would I still be able to collect dragons like I've always been?

Even if this is just opt-in, there are a ton of other suggestions that I would rather see implemented first. This is a big huge project that would require a lot of time and effort to implement properly. I would rather see those resources go to other suggestions first.

Yes, the playing as your dragon will be an account setting.

If you choose to play as a dragon when u have no dragon, it wouldnt be possible

Is considering playing as a hatchling though.

Edited by Rainbowlight

I really don't see any benefit of this suggestion. Different flavor texts are not a benefit. Finding rare stuff more easily isn't exactly a good idea, either - even if some of them (chickenses wink.gif ) are unbreedable. But seriously, neglecteds? As in, really? That would break the mechanism of obtaining them.

On another note, who wouldn't play as a prize dragon in the hope of finding a CB? Or, during the winter holiday season, as a holly?

I really don't see any benefit of this suggestion. Different flavor texts are not a benefit. Finding rare stuff more easily isn't exactly a good idea, either - even if some of them (chickenses wink.gif ) are unbreedable. But seriously, neglecteds? As in, really? That would break the mechanism of obtaining them.

On another note, who wouldn't play as a prize dragon in the hope of finding a CB? Or, during the winter holiday season, as a holly?

Agreed. If this idea goes any further, increasing the chances of finding the dragon you're playing as should be removed from the suggestion. If that is the true purpose of the suggestion, there are already several other ideas that are already fleshed out to help players access hard to catch dragons (like the Trader's Canyon) that make more sense to implement.

I can tell that you've put quite some time into fleshing this idea out, but I just can't support it. The whole point is to collect and raise dragons as a human, not a dragon, so incorporating this into the game would completely flip it on its head. And I really don't think DC needs that, especially when it's 10 years old now. Players are used to the simple style.

But consider this. If TJ does like this idea and it does become part of the game in the future, won't the people who play as dragons have a huge advantage with catching CB rares if this makes them easier to find? Even just Chrono Xenowyrms can be difficult to find already, and they're not even rare...

This, however, I agree with:

However a separate thing, like a Holiday event/minigame, would be very cool. Kind of like the cave decorating thing to attract a mate, but more in-depth? I'd love something like that.

This would be a cool holiday event, but I don't want it as the main thing. Think of it this way: would a game where you play as a Pokémon be amazing? God, yes. Do I want that to completely replace the standard games? Nnno. DC has worked just fine as it is for over ten years and I don't think there's a good reason to shake that up now. Side thing, yes, main thing, no.

As an aside, if you want to scratch a be-a-dragon itch, I highly recommend this choose your own adventure story! https://www.choiceofgames.com/dragon/

It looks like a lot of work to set up and I don't really see it being needed if I can be honest. I can't support this suggestion.

I also don't support. I don't even understand a lot of what you have there, like going into a barn and killing chickens? What does that have to do with anything?

The site is fine as it is. It doesn't need a complete overhaul to make it roleplaying as dragons. Honestly, the nice thing about the current way things are is you can imagine whatever you want. Sure, it's implying that it's a human doing the egg collecting, but you could easily imagine you're a dragon if you want.

Think of it this way: would a game where you play as a Pokémon be amazing? God, yes. (...)

This actually exists! It's called Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

As for the suggestion, I don't support it like this, I'm sorry.

I think it would be really cute if it only changed the text for every action like you said in the first few lines, but like others, I dislike how rare things are suddenly made more available.

I think the comments so far explain pretty well why I am closing this topic. This suggestion unnecessarily complicates the cave without adding much to the game.

If TJ is interested in hearing more on this suggestion, he will re-open this thread.