RheaZen

Q&A: Questions and Answers

Pretty much what the title says - Q&A, question and answer. Ask questions, get answers.

Please keep Let Me Google That For You to a minimum, unless the question really does call for lmgtfy.

If a person says that they want serious answers, please try to take their question seriously. If a person doesn't say they want serious answers, hey, it's up to you.

Discussion and debates are allowed, so long as they don't spill out too much into something that would fit into another thread.

This thread is mostly for more general-style questions. If you need some more personal advice, you might try the advice thread.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Does this count as the first post?

I've always wondered about this...

For people with two dads/moms/know someone with two dads/moms, what do you call them?

Mom and Dad? Dad and Daddy? By name? Dad and Dad 2?

I have a friend who calls his dads by name. He was adopted at the age of 10, though.

I recently ordered Skyrim from amazon (all the Gamestops on the island were sold out o.o ), but it hasn't arrived yet. They only accept returns if it hasn't been opened...problem is, I have no idea if it will run on my computer. The only way to find out is if I open and install it. What happens if it doesn't work?

btw, I tried that "can you run it" thing...it says I can't, but that's what it said about Portal 2 and that runs perfectly fine.

...I feel like I'm stealing the thread from SPQR... >.>'

I recently ordered Skyrim from amazon (all the Gamestops on the island were sold out o.o ), but it hasn't arrived yet. They only accept returns if it hasn't been opened...problem is, I have no idea if it will run on my computer. The only way to find out is if I open and install it. What happens if it doesn't work?

btw, I tried that "can you run it" thing...it says I can't, but that's what it said about Portal 2 and that runs perfectly fine.

...I feel like I'm stealing the thread from SPQR... >.>'

Skyrim isn't all that intense of a game, it only requires a Directx 9.0 compatible card.

If your computer ran Fallout 3 chances are it will run this. If it ran Batman Arkham Asylum chances are it will run this. If your computer could run Half-Life 2 at full settings when it released there is even a rather good chance it could run Skyrim.

If you have a laptop, I would suggest Notebook Check to get a good grasp on the various types of graphics cards and what sorts of games they play.

If all the games I mentioned are too much for your computer, or the website gives you sad information, then just send it back to Amazon quietly, or scalp it for insane prices to a convenient "friend."

For people with two dads/moms/know someone with two dads/moms, what do you call them?

I have a friend who calls his dads by name. He was adopted at the age of 10, though.

A friend of mine calls both of her moms 'mom' or when referring to them in conversation 'my mom', without ever differentiating between them. If she's talking about, say, a conversation in which both of them participated, she'll say, 'my mom said abc, and then my other mom said xyz.' There's no standard as to which one is the 'other mom'--just the one she mentions second, which can be either of them.

This is just an example; I don't think there's a real convention for it.

I imagine it could be similar to what Sadako said, or it may be like how I referred to my two sets of grandparents. My maternal grandfather was 'Grandpa' and my paternal grandfather was 'Opa' (he was German, so that nickname came pretty easily).

I think an old friend of mine said Dad #1 was Dad and Dad #2 was Daddy, when he was younger. Then when he was older, Dad #2 was Pops or Padre. I don't thinks there's a hard and fast rule, it's just whatever the kid is comfortable with, e.g Mom and Mama, Dad and Uncle -Name-, -Name- and -Name-, etc.

Edited by Foxpaw

Has anyone else potty trained their cats? I'm in the process of doing so, just began a few weeks, and was just wondering the results of other people. (I am using the litter kwitter)

How is the best way to get a cat to do it's business where they are supposed to at the middle of the toilet? My cats always want to go around the edge where most of the litter is.

Has anyone else potty trained their cats? I'm in the process of doing so, just began a few weeks, and was just wondering the results of other people. (I am using the litter kwitter)

How is the best way to get a cat to do it's business where they are supposed to at the middle of the toilet? My cats always want to go around the edge where most of the litter is.

What stage are you on?

Then don't worry about it. The program is designed so that they're going into the toilet by the end of the program. If the cat isn't at the end yet, then it's alright if it still wants to go in the Litter Kwitter. It's what it's there for, after all.

Just be glad he's taking to it, a lot of cats freak out once they see the hole.

I live in PA, see lots of roadkill around here, especially deer during certain seasons.

I don't know why, but some of the deer on the side of the road are marked with white Xs. Some aren't marked at all. I don't see this, that I can remember, with the smaller animals like racoons and groundhogs. No one I've talked to has an answer, either. Just as in the dark as me. Anyone know what the white Xs mean?

Edited by Foxpaw

I had no idea either, but with a little Google poking I found this:

"State marking roadkill deer to help collectors spot them

Deer carcasses marked with an X are intended to help collectors avoid duplication of effort, PennDOT says."

~

"Do people call in to report the dead deer? Maybe the X means, "don't call. We already know about this one."

"Correct.

I just called NJDOT, North Region deer carcass/animal removal. Basically, when someone reports a carcass they send someone out to verify it and to spray an orange X to mark that it will be picked up and that people don't need to report it.

I didn't ask why they had the gap, but I'm guessing they have a larger crew or vehicle to do the pickup, and just a regular maintenance guy to spray the X."

:3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

My friend calls her real dad Dad and her stepdad by his first name. I have a stepgrandma and I call her by her first name.

Deer carcasses marked with an X are intended to help collectors avoid duplication of effort, PennDOT says."

~

"Do people call in to report the dead deer? Maybe the X means, "don't call. We already know about this one."

"Correct.

I just called NJDOT, North Region deer carcass/animal removal. Basically, when someone reports a carcass they send someone out to verify it and to spray an orange X to mark that it will be picked up and that people don't need to report it.

I didn't ask why they had the gap, but I'm guessing they have a larger crew or vehicle to do the pickup, and just a regular maintenance guy to spray the X."

There's also the possibility that they just have someone mark it on the way to something else, especially since painting at x hardly takes the same amount of time as scraping a deer off the road.

~

"Correct.

Considering the season, that makes a lot of sense. The only guess I had was that maybe people who wanted to cook the roadkill (they do that here... a lot. blink.gif ) would mark it so the collection crews wouldn't take them.

So many deer here, I can't even imagine how busy the collection guys would be.

Ty for the answer! Now, not only do I know what the Xs are for, but I know not to report a carcass if it's marked. smile.gif

Now I just have to hope I don't hit one and have to report it. It's a PA curse. All drivers hit a deer here eventually and everyone in my family's already hit one... I'm the only one left. The deer are coming for me... unsure.gif

Then don't worry about it. The program is designed so that they're going into the toilet by the end of the program. If the cat isn't at the end yet, then it's alright if it still wants to go in the Litter Kwitter. It's what it's there for, after all.

Just be glad he's taking to it, a lot of cats freak out once they see the hole.

Thanks ^.^

Oh sure. You can teach them to jump, eat from your hand, all sorts of stuff. It's just a bit trickier to give them positive reinforcement because they're underwater.

Now my question: I'm flying home tomorrow and my trip will involve several hours of layover. I'm also working on a crochet project. Will the TSA take away the nail clippers that I use to cut my yarn? XD

Oh sure. You can teach them to jump, eat from your hand, all sorts of stuff. It's just a bit trickier to give them positive reinforcement because they're underwater.

Now my question: I'm flying home tomorrow and my trip will involve several hours of layover. I'm also working on a crochet project. Will the TSA take away the nail clippers that I use to cut my yarn? xd.png

IIRC from the last time I flew, nail clippers (the standard kind, not the mini-pointy-scissors kind) are now officially on the list of approved items to bring. So you should be just fine.

But. That said, security does have a fair amount of leeway and personal discretion at times, so sometimes even items that are supposed to be alright get taken away anyway. :/

But yeah. Most likely, you won't have a problem.

Will the TSA take away the nail clippers that I use to cut my yarn? XD

I've brought little nail clippers on flights in my carry-on, and they haven't taken them away so far. But like Imbecamiel said, occasionally they get picky and decide you can't have them. Chalk it up to a bad day. I think you'll be fine, but maybe take a pair of clippers you wouldn't mind losing, just in case.

Mmkay, question: I'm using Chrome as my primary browser. I have the bookmarks bar showing, and use it a ton. At first, it was fine - could just drag and drop a bookmark wherever I wanted, and it'd stay put. But after a while, the bookmarks started rearranging themselves according to some order known only to my computer. :/

It doesn't always put like ones together - although, inexplicably, bookmarks from some sites seem more willing to stay put than others. I have a lot of bookmarks I like to keep readily accessible, as reminders and such, so not all of them are visible at any given time. The first couple on the far left side of the bookmarks bar dependably stay where they are. Bookmarks further toward the bottom of the "hidden" section (the arrow tab you click to see the rest of the bookmarks) tend to stay where I put them. Bookmarks toward the right side of the visible part of the bookmark bar? Will not stay where I put them. No matter how many times I rearrange them, once a particular bookmark's decided that it wants to be somewhere else, the second I let go it snaps back to where it moved itself.

I recently did a complete uninstall/re-install of Chrome, and that seemed to fix things briefly, but then they went right back to reorganizing themselves as they see fit. And no, as far as I can tell it's not a virus of any kind (all scans keep coming up clean), nor do there seem to be other conflicts going on with Chrome. Just. The. Stupid. Bookmarks.

I tried to do some searching on the problem, but couldn't seem to find anything relevant, much less useful... Anyone have any ideas?

Here's something I was wondering today, and maybe someone with some knowledge of cars can give me an answer.

Why aren't the undercarriages of cars protected? It seems like the undercarriage takes a huge beating from things like road salt, kicked-up rocks and sand, water from rain, etc. So, why isn't the undercarriage covered? Is it for convenience of mechanics or is there some technical reason the undercarriage can't be covered (like overheating or oil leaks or something)?

I know the transmission is protected and is in the undercarriage, so it's probably mostly just that the underside is composed of strong-enough materials. Also, much of it is the transmission, frame, floorpan, axles, and exhaust pipes. Pipes are going to overheat the underside without being allowed to air cool(even with air running over it, my exhaust system leaves a warm spot in my truck) and axles tend to move around a lot, so the room needed to accommodate them won't leave much protection left. The floorpan is basically the piece of steel your carpet(or lack thereof depending on your car)goes on top of, so it technically is protected there. tongue.gif

EDIT: Note that this is all from personal experience with my full-size off-roading SUV, which was designed in the late 1960s and thus may have a lot of outdated styles of engineering in the underside.

Edited by sir_horsey_XIX