UmbreWulf

A Prison for Hatchlings

What do you think of this RP?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A Prison for Hatchlings

OOC

History

You are in your egg. You feel that it is time to hatch and wiggle back and forth vigorously. Your egg suddenly hits something hard and a crack is formed. Seeing this, you kick it as hard as you can. More cracks appear in the shell. Tiny bits of light stream through these cracks. You continue to squirm about and batter the hard shell keeping you inside the egg. Feeling you are ready to enter the world, you give the shell one final kick and your leg busts through. You squint as the bright light hits your face. As soon as your eyes adjust, you crawl out of the hole you made and slump down on the ground, exhausted. You make little peeping noises and grope around for your parents, but all you feel is the cold, hard ground underneath you. Strange, you think. Why aren't Mum and Dad around? You continue to make little sounds, desperately seeking the warmth of your parents. An unnatural sound fills your ears, and you look up as a group of weird creatures with pink skin come towards you. They are very loud! You back away slowly, scared. Your heart starts to beat faster in your chest as your back hits something cold, gray, and round. You are trapped; there is nowhere to go. The creatures come closer, the noise growing louder. You cry out in fear and begin to shiver as one sticks their hand between two cylinder things and tries to touch you. Terrified, you lash out at the pink finger and strike it with your tiny claws. Where are you and what is going on?

Plot

You are a newly hatched dragon. You are in a cage, alone. It is very cold. The only things in it are two bowls: one with water and another with small chunks of meat. But this is no normal food. It has certain chemicals in it that sap your energy, making you tired most of the time. If you choose not to eat, you will likely starve. You are fed and given water twice a day: once in the morning and again the evening. You are taken out to exercise twice a day for half an hour before meal time. You are let free in a large, steel room with no windows called the Hatchling Exercise Chamber. Here, you are allowed to run around and play with the other dragons. However, the food will make you tired and you probably won't get much playing in. Your parents are nowhere to be found. Scientists kidnapped you as an egg and brought you back to the lab. Here, they study dragons and do various tests on them, such as taking blood samples and pulling off scales to investigate. These actions are carried out in various Test Areas. Tests are performed once a day on each dragon. When you are not being tested on or exercising, you are in your cage, sleeping.

So What's the Point?

Glad you asked. You see, the scientists aren't magical. They can't hold adult dragons and keep them under control with the treated food. They would run out pretty quickly. Besides, the cages aren't that big. Once a dragon is too large to contain, it is killed. The scales, horns, claws, wings, and other important parts are secretly sold to markets, where people purchase them as trinkets and decorations. Dragon parts fetch a pretty penny around here, you know. You need to get out of the Lab before you are an adult. If you don't, you will be killed by the scientists. Also, you need to figure out in some way all the things I am about to tell you, so listen closely.

Map

user posted image

Cages

These are the cages that you and the other hatchlings will be in. They are about five feet by five feet and made of solid steel with bars for walls. Some of them have mesh walls, for pygmies are very small and could slip through the bars with ease. These cages are only two feet by two feet. Most other dragons won't be able to slip through the bars; they are too close together. Your food and water dishes are mounted on the side, an inch off the ground. The cage is cleaned before breakfast every day while you are exercising. There is a small door in the front with a lock that must be opened with a key. The lock isn't incredible strong or safe, it just holds the door shut. The door is the only way in or out.

Testing Rooms A-H

The Test Areas are medium-sized rooms (About the size of a classroom) with white tile floors and light gray walls. A metal table for the dragons is placed in the middle. Shelves line the walls. These shelves have various items on them such as syringes, bandages, gloves, anti-bacterial wipes (For wiping down tables after use), tweezers (For plucking scales), and the strange chemicals that they soak your food in.

Hatchling's Exercise Chamber

This is a large steel room. The room itself is actually about the size of a soccer field. There are no windows except for the one in the door where the scientists can watch and observe the hatchlings from a safe distance. Water bowls line the eastern wall for thirsty hatchlings. A sloppy forest scene is painted on the walls with leafy trees and a bright blue sky. The ground has green grass painted on. Although it is given a friendly look, it is cold, hard, and rather boring.

Laboratory

This is where the hatchlings' blood is studied and scales are inspected. It is filled with computers and microscopes. The whole room is cut into many small cells where scientists study the 'samples' they have collected from various dragons. It isn't ideal for hatchlings, for there is nothing special in there.

Monitoring Room

This room is quite small with a screen split into eight sections taking up the whole back wall. Chairs line the wall facing the screen along with a long steel desk. Here, the scientists can watch the hatchlings in their cages and in the Exercise Chamber. A camera is mounted in all four corners of both rooms. At midnight there is a 30 minute gap where people change shifts.

The Lab

The Lab is the entire building. It is made completely of steel with no windows and one door. The door is in the back, near the Monitoring Room. It has a series of complicated locks that keep unwanted visitors out. The Lab itself is tucked away in an uncharted forest away from civilization, for the capture and eventual murder of dragons is illegal.

Fence

The fence is just what it says it is: a fence. However, this fence is ten feet high and has a curled top preventing anything from climbing it to get out. Multiple layers of barbed wire are woven throughout the entire fence, making it near impossible to scale without serious injury. Under the wild grass it goes down about five feet, making it a big challenge to dig under. Many large rocks lay underground as well. A small door exactly in line with the door to the Lab is the only way in or out. It has a latch that must be opened with two hands, much like that of a pet-carrier.

Wilderness

This is your target. Once you escape to the Wilderness, you are free. Luckily, the roleplay does not end here. If you manage to escape, you will have to learn how to live like a normal dragon. Since you were raised in captivity, this will be quite a challenge. You may start a clan of your own, a family, or split and go your separate ways. If you somehow manage to get out of your cage while the monitors are on, you will be caught. Be strategic about your escape, for the scientists are almost always watching. Almost.

Character Sheet

[B]Username:[/B]
[B]Dragon Name:[/B]
[B]Gender:[/B]
[B]Species:[/B]
[B]Personality:[/B]
[B]Appearance:[/B]
[B]Other:[/B]

Rules (Yes, there are rules)

1.) Don't argue with me. It's my roleplay.

2.) Be nice; do not troll other players.

3.) If you honestly feel the need to swear, use censorkip.gif please

4.) Romance is allowed, but keep it PG-13

5.) Put 'Cheese is the answer to everything' in the Other section.

6.) Put OoC stuff in (()), [[]], or {{}} please

7.) No godmoding, powerplaying, (Anti) Gary/Mary Sues, chatspeak

8.) Post forms and such in the OoC once I make it.

9.) Please use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

10.) No one-liners. I expect at least three good sentences per post.

11.) You have to be a DC dragon.

12.) Two dragons per player. You may have a new one if one of yours are killed.

13.) You may not be a GoN or Alt. Cheeses and Papers won't work either, as they do not need to eat, which would kill the story. (Nebs are fine, as I do not consider them Alts.)

14.) Most importantly: Have LOTS OF FUN! l:D

Not accepting right now! All forms sent in will now be ignored!

Many thanks to Moonbeam22 for helping me get this approved!

Edited by UmbreWulf

FAQ

Q: What exactly are the scientists researching?

A: As you probably know, dragons are considered to be very strong and ferocious creatures. These scientists aren't really in it for the knowledge. As I said, they kill off the dragons and make HUGE money off illegally selling their parts. In the meantime while they grow up, they have to do something to show the people that fund them that they are indeed working. In the meantime, they study the makeup of their blood and the things that make up their scales and send that in. The long and short of it: they aren't really researching.

Q: Can I control the scientists?

A: Yes, you can. However, you can't make them free you or kill you if you are not old enough.

Q: Can I be a scientist?

A: No. They are NPU.

Q: Do I have to be one of the captive hatchlings?

A: I'd prefer that you start with one. The second one doesn't have to be captive.

Q: Can I escape?

A: Yes, but you must remember that the food makes you tired. Your hatchling DOES NOT know that. They don't know the layout the of the building either.

Q: Can I be a Holiday?

A: Yes.

Q:Can I be a Paper or Cheese?

A: No. They are nonliving and therefore don't need to eat. It would break the plotline.

Q:What about Nebulae?

A: I don't consider any of them Alts, so go ahead. The only Alts I forbid are Vines and Blacks.

Q: Can I be captured again after I escape?

A: That really depends on timing. If you escape while the monitoring people are switching shifts, then no. If they are still watching, you will be caught.

Q: Can I attack other hatchlings?

A: I guess you could, but it would be unlikely seeing how you have little energy most of the time.

Q: How do I escape?

A: Well.... I know, but wouldn't that ruin the roleplay? Here's a hint: Your hatchling knows nothing that I told you. Not a single thing. (Apart from hatching, but that's it.)

Q: What is a GoN?

A: Guardian of Nature.

That's it for now. PM me any other questions. >uo

Edited by UmbreWulf

The strange ground was cold underfoot. "Mum? Dad?" Song of the Wolves squeaked, not seeing or smelling her parents. She kicked away the remains of her eggshell and got to wobbly legs. "Mum? Dad?" she called again, louder. There was no response except for the echo of her voice on the metal cage. Another scent caught her nose. It was warm and living, but not a dragon!

A pinkish creature came towards her with a flat brown thing in its paw-hand-thing. "Looks like one hatched," it said, scribbling something on its clipboard. "It's a White." It continued to write, filling out an information sheet about the White hatchling. Another, obviously younger, bounced in. "Can I name it? Please? Daddy, can I please name it?" he begged, jumping about excitedly. The father just sighed and said, "Go ahead." The boy gave his dad a hug and ran over to Song's cage.

Song looked at the creature running towards her cage and started to back off. Is it going to attack me? she thought, her heart racing as fear began to creep into her. With a tiny hiss, she jumped to the back of the cage and squeezed herself into a corner, shivering. The creature came to a stop right in front of her cage and pulled something long and black out of his pocket. (A marker.) He took this curious object and began to make little scribbles on a white thing hanging from her cage. (He was writing on a sign attached to her cage.) "There," he said, putting the object away. "I'm gonna call you Snowflake. Do you like that name Snowflake?" it asked, peering through the bars at the terrified hatchling. Song was confused. She hissed again and bared her tiny fangs. "No? Too bad, I like it," it said. With one last glance at the hatchling, it ran off and left the room. Finally, it's gone, she thought, relieved.

Song noticed a couple of round things on the side of her cage. One was piled high with red things. She walked over happily and stuck one in her mouth. It tasted kinda like food! It was strange to her, but food nonetheless. She chomped down a couple more and moved onto the next bowl. It had no smell, but clear liquid filled it. She slurped down the water and wiped her mouth with a paw. She felt er eyelids begin to grow heavy. Wow, I guess it's night already? With that, she plopped down by the bowls and waited. She saw other eggs inside the other cages. Maybe they were friendly....

Skye awoke for the first time within her egg. She was curled in a tight ball, very comfy and warm. But something compelled her to come out. She scratched at the eggshell with her tiny little claws, but it didn't do much. She scratched harder and kicked at the shell, rocking the egg back and forth. Finally a crack appeared.

Bright light streamed through the crack, causing Skye to retreat further in her shell. She stayed there for another moment before giving one last kick, and tumbling out of her egg.

Vrael was motionless inside his egg shell, the darkness and the hard wall that encased him gave him a sense of comfort. It made him feel like there was nothing out there capable of entering this void of his and ruin the sense of peace.

The ground vibrated causing his egg to wobble ever so slightly. Mumbled noises filled the air and were barely audible from inside his shell. "Wh... whats going on? Who... who's out there?" Vrael squeaked in a soft voice. Was it safe for him to hatch now?

Vrael pondered that question for awhile, until the strange noise vanished.

"Hello there!" she spoke quiet loud, sounding excited towards the white hatchling. The magma dragon swishes her tail side to side as she scratched the iron bars. "You're a newborn? Snowflake they called ya? Well hello there. I'm Yhina, a magma dragon they called me!" She stopped scratching the bars when one if those pink skinned tapped on her cage. "I don't really like that name, no defense Snowflake. I don't really like your name. It reminds me of that song called 'Song of Wolves'" she nudged her shoulders. "Its a bad song, that little pink skin keeps singing it to me. I don't know how the others could stand it. Can you talk?" she questioned the white hatchling.

Song's sleepy eyes flickered open as she heard a voice. Tired, she got to her feet and pressed her face to the bars. "My name's not Snowflake, I am not a winter dragon," she said quietly. "You are Yhina? What a nice name. I wish I had gotten a nice name," she said tiredly, the food taking its toll on the small hatchling. Song knew that Snowflake was not her name. Tipping her head back, she let out a cry that sounded exactly like that of a mourning wolf. When she was done, she looked back at the Magma. "My name is... umm.... Song of the Wolves?" Anything was better than Snowflake. She let out a tiny yawn and curled up on the floor, not asleep, but not willing to get up.

Ocius woke up slowly. He felt was tried to stand but fell. He could hear others talking, but decided to stay quiet. Inspecting his cage a bit more, he noticed his had some sort of material designed for smaller dragons.

"Hey I like that name!" she nodded up and down playfully. Yhina pressed her nose deeper onto the bars. Her head jerked towards the noise of the other cracking eggs. "Oh we got more coming!" she spoke excitedly as she lashed her tail around even more. A scincetist tapped on her cage again to tell the magma dragon to be silent. Yhina stopped lashing her tail and her jaw shutted togheir, clasping them shut. The human walked away and Yhina quickly whispered to Song "if you are too noisely, they would knock you out with that ugly looking stick. I seen them do that to another hatchling and it took ages for him to wake up."

Skye, expecting to feel the a soft nest, squealed in surprise as she hit solid steel floor. She made some chirping noises and looked around, utterly confused. "Mom? Dad?' she called, not seeing her parents anywhere. All of a sudden, a couple of weird pink creatures came over and started writing things down, and looking at me closely. "This is the first Skywing in years!" one of them said excitedly, opening the bars to the cage. Skye squeaked in fear, and tried to scramble away, but the pink thing grabbed her around the middle and pulled her out of the cage.

Small cracks and peeps now filled the room. All the eggs had been picked up at about the same time so it made sense that they all hatched at the same time, too. She noticed the sign on her cage that the creature had wrote and walked over to it. Reaching a tiny paw through the bars, she knocked it down. The white object hit the ground with a crack! and broke in half. Another scientist came towards her, this time with a metal object in hand. It poked the metal thing into another thing on the front of her cage and opened up a small door. "It's time to let them into the Exercise Chamber," the scientist called, pulling Song out of her cage. Song was too tired to try and fight back. With a sigh, she let herself be moved by the creature.

Despite her restless squirming, Skye could not free herself from the creature's grasp. "Take it to Test room G," one of them said. The one holding her nodded, and carried her off, away from the other hatchlings.

In a far metal cage on one side of the room sat a shiny blue egg. Icicles formed on its smooth surface and it was the only one not to have moved at all yet like all the other eggs.

It was dark and damp. Curled up at the bottom of the egg was a small ice hatchling. "W-where.....where am I?" thought the hatchling, slowly opening her eyes. All she could see was pitch blackness and it frightened her, until she realized that it must be her egg. Settling down, she listened intently for any sign of her parents. When she heard none, she wiggled a bit, changing her position. "That's strange... W-where are they?" she wondered. Suddenly there were other peeping noises accompanied by a loud crack of something hitting the floor and strange voices. The hatchling whimpered slightly and tried curl up as much as she could. She heard footsteps suddenly, getting closer and closer to the little ice egg.

A tall scientist, dressed in the normal attire of a white lab coat and black shoes knelt down next to the ice egg's cage. "Hmm...," he murmured, rubbing his chin. Turning to another scientist, who was holding Song, he remarked, "This one has barely moved while all the others are hatching by now. Must be shy."

Edited by Tyra-Ice

She allowed herself to get scooped up by the creature, she felt herself get forced into a smaller cage, looking like o e of those that carried cats and pushed her inside of it. Yhina slammed into the small cage wall and then she felt herself get thrown back, hitting the metal bars. She yelped once more when she crashed into the wall and fall back into the other one as if she is being toyed with. She cried out then all of the sudden the cage stopped shaking. The doors flung open and light gleamed at the doorstep and onto the metal. Not wanting to get thrown around again, she busted out of the cage with the door opened. First she couldn't work out were she was but then when she saw the large area around her, she knew this was the exercise chamber.

Ocius was just about to say something when one of the creatures walked up to his cage and pulled him out. "Heh, at least I get to move the easy one around." It said, easily picking up the pygmy and holding it. Ocius though, did not like this and tried clawing at his captors hands. It must have had no effect because it just laughed at him.

Song sighed in relief as the scientist gently set her down. The small bit of food she had eaten was beginning to wear off and she could feel energy seeping back into her limbs. She stretched her weary limbs and looked around. Tall green and brown things were on the wall. The ground under her was green, but felt hard and cold just like her cage. She notice the vast space and the Magma hatchling called Yhina. With a pretend growl, she butted her head into the hatchling's shoulder and tried to knock her over in the beginnings of a playfight.

Not receiving an answer from the other scientist, the one by the ice egg's cage slowly reached through the bars and gently prodded the egg with his fingers.

The ice hatchling inside suddenly felt her egg begin to wobble and tip over. She squealed frantically for a moment but then was struck with a thought. What if those were her parents outside her egg and they wanted her to hatch now? Spurred on by that warm thought, the ice hatchling slowly began to claw the inside of her egg, chipping away bits of eggshell until she had a tiny hole. However, she couldn't see much out of it so she continued digging. Getting frustrated since this seemed to be taking forever, she rolled backwards then forwards then backwards then forwards, making her egg rock dangerously until it crashed onto its side. This widened the crack she'd made immensely and with one final kick and a squeak, the ice hatchling tumbled out of the egg, a large chip of eggshell caught on one of her tiny white horns.

Edited by Tyra-Ice

The creature holding Ocius threw him into the Exercise Room. He hit the ground somewhat hard and rolled a bit. Clearing the dizziness from his head, he looked around around to see two other dragons in the room. He stayed away from the bigger dragons and sat near the wall.

Yhina did a playful snarl at Song and rolled over while kicking her tiny legs in the air at her. She rolled over while hding onto Song, pulling her with her. She giggled and playfully nipped her leg, not knowing that it might accidentally hurt her. Yhina thought that she was being watched though those walls. She frowned a little then turned her focus back to playing with Song.

((ugh, short x.x I might go to bed soon))

((Lol, it's only 10:45 am here. xd.png @Tiffashy))

"Ah, there we go!" The scientist pulled out a marker and scribbled quickly on the white board hanging from the ice hatchling's cage. Then, standing up, he jot down a few things on his clipboard with a pen. Opening the cage, he reached in and before the dazed little ice hatchling could figure out what was happening, he snatched her up and began walking towards the exercise room.

When she felt strong hands clasp her around her stomach, the ice hatchling let out a frightened squeal and thrashed wildly. "These aren't my parents!! W-where am I?! What a-are these strange, tall creatures?!!" She continued to struggle, scratching the scientist with her tiny claws until finally, he set her down in a wide, spacious area. In her haste to get away from the creature, she stumbled over her own limbs and tumbled head over heels a few feet, crashing into a pygmy hatchling.

Edited by Tyra-Ice

Ocius was not paying attention when he heard something coming at him. Turning his head to look he let out a squeak and scrambled to get out of the way, but was not fast enough. Getting steam rolled by the ice hatchling, he tumbled a bit with her, before getting himself free and standing up. "Oww... my head." He stumbled around a bit before just sitting down again.

The ice hatchling, after crashing into Ocius, landed on her back. She groaned dizzily and attempted to stand but only succeeded in falling over again so finally she just lay there, giving up. "Ow....w-what or who d-did I run into?" she groaned, her vision still blurred.

Vrael nudged at the roof of his shell with his snout. There was a lot of noise outside now, and it somewhat intrigued him. For days the only noise he would hear were strange mumbling sounds that occurred at random times during the day. However today was different. There must have been something going on outside for it to be this noisy.

A small circular cracked formed at the top of his shell, an icicle lost its grip and smashed onto the floor. This crack was still attached at one corner turning it into a lid. Vrael poked his head up through the lid and peered outside. Metal bar's surrounded him on all four sides. There were dozens of similar contraptions aligned beside and opposite from where he was. There were several broken egg shells and a couple unhatched eggs still inside a couple of the other cages.

A pinked two legged creature approached Vrael's cage. Vrael instinctively ducked back into the safety of his shell, closing the 'lid' in the process. The two legged creature peered into his cage. "I can see a crack on this one. Must be ready to hatch soon. I'll keep an eye on its progress". Vrael shivered at the intensity of this creatures voice, until it finally stopped. He lifted his head through the lid slowly and watched as the weird creature walked off. He breathed a sigh of relief... that was too close for comfort.

Once in the test room, the scientist put her on a metal table. She tried to stand up, but it was too slippery. The human then began to examine her. He measured her, weighed her, tested the pink cloud the clung to her, looked in her eyes, down her throat, and in her nose too. When he finished, her plucked a feather from the tip of her tail, and handed her to another scientist who carried her off to the exercise chamber.

Ocius looked around and saw the ice hatchling laying on its back. "T-that would b-be m-me." Ocius stuttered, not wanting to get into any trouble and preferring to be left alone.