Obscure_Trash

Your Dragon Ideas

So I was thinking that I have a lot of concept ideas for dragons, but not a lot of avenue to share them. I'm not an artist, so I don't have a good way to make these come to life, and tbh, most the fun is just getting to share the idea itself.

So I thought, a lot of you guys probably have some random and partially fleshed out ideas running around you're never going to suggest, so let's share them with each other! Let's see what sort of ideas we all have. Let's have fun gushing about each other's ideas and letting them inspire ideas of our own!

Note: these are fleeting ideas you want to share or things you'd like to see on DC. You could have a detailed idea or something not too fleshed out, as simple as "siren-based dragon" or "a dragon very adept at gardening". This is not a place to share generic wants like "want more wyrms" or "more yellow dragons". It is for at least semi-formed ideas, no matter how simple or fleeting, you've thought about being DC dragons. Ideas can be as serious or silly as you imagine, but they should include some level of concept (whether this is breed info or physical info). You can see some examples in the next post, where I share some of my ideas.

So here's some of my unshared ideas:

More fleshed out:

Inspired by Dragonoak by Sam Farren: Necromancer Dragons

I really loved how Farren portrayed necromancers in Dragonoak. I thought it was really creative and it inspired this dragon idea because I'd love a way to have 1) more kill slots, and 2) better chance at zombie creation.

So this is a dragon that specializes in necromancy. I never planned out much in the way of looks, mostly just BSA. First off, for every x amount of these dragons, you gain another kill slot. Second, these guys have a BSA "resurrect". As I'm typing this out, I see two types of necromancers: healing necromancers and animating necromancers. If a healing necromancer uses "resurrect", there's a high-ish chance of successfully reviving a dead dragon. If an animating necromancer uses "resurrect", there's a high-ish chance of successfully creating a zombie. The chance of revive/zombie is higher than the normal action. Either a long cool down or a shorter scroll-wide cooldown. While on cooldown, the dragon would glow with white patterns on it (in Dragonoak, necromancers glow white while necromancing).

Inspired by the sockeye salmon: Unnamed Drake

So I was in Flaming Gorge TA'ing field camp and had some extra time to read some of the signs along the river. That's where I learned that sockeye salmon turn red when they're ready to breed. So I thought it would be fun to have a dragon (I decided on drake) that changed colors depending on if it was ready to breed or if it was on breeding cooldown! Maybe a light blue while available for breeding but turns red while on breeding cooldown. Would be a fun and automatic visual way to see which of the drakes were ready to breed.

I also learned about the alevin stage of fish (a juvenile stage that has an egg sac attached to it for nutrients). I thought that would be a cool thing to incorporate but am not really sure how that would reasonably look. Maybe a slightly amphibious drake that's born in water but then lives on land as an adult?

Less fleshed out:

Hogwarts House Dragons

A red western(?) dragon, a yellow wingless dragon, a blue amphiptere dragon, and a green leviathan. Literally no concept for these guys; I just think this'd be fun. Not sure how to connect the four dragons together, but I think they definitely should be linked concept-wise.

Moar Geology Dergs

Imma geologist, I can't help it. I think more common-rocks-and-mineral dergs would be cool. Specifically, a mica or micaceous schist and a kspar derg.

Ping-Pong Tree Sponge

I saw this great post on tumblr the other day about the various science's naming conventions (which was a wholesome, hilarious post), but it also introduced me to the Ping-Pong Tree Sponge. This is not only the coolest name ever, it's also an awesome looking little thing. First thing that popped into my head was a dragon based off this guy... but I've no idea yet how I would turn this delightful little guy into a dragon, lol. Maybe a dragon with a "ping-pong" kinda crown coming off its head. Could be a carnivorous leviathan that imitates the sponge to appear non-intimidating and safe to approach.

TENTACLES

I love tentacled creatures. Specifically, octopi and (flamboyant) cuttlefish are so awesome. <3 The problem here is that anything with tentacles is tricky to actually make look like a dragon. I actually suggested some flamboyant-cuttlefish-inspired pygmies a long time ago, which came out as some really adorable sprites. But, alas, they were rejected. No tentacles for me, but I'll continue to dream. </3

~

I had more, but it's almost 5am, so it's off to bed for me even though I'd prefer to sit here and try to remember those ideas, lol.

I can't wait to see what kinds of ideas you guys have!

I actually have an idea but absolutely zero artistic skill - if someone would want to take it and turn it into an actual dragon, I wouldn't be opposed to it xd.png

I was inspired by JOTB's easter egg from 2014: user posted image

I imagine it in a different hue though, cold as lead (the metal, symbol Pb), and from it hatches a snake-like creature, covered in lead scales, using magic and lead sheets (!) made from the material it finds in the ground to form wings and eventually look like an amphiptere. So this would be the Lead Amphiptere laugh.gif

Considering that it uses magic for those wings, upon mating with a Cassare (or possibly with Desipis), it would change its sprite for a day (or the whole cooldown week) and look like a really tired snake in a nest of its lead sheets xd.png

edit: the lead sheets were inspired by this: http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Lead_Sheet xd.png

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Some scraps of stuff I wanted to add into Dragon Requests someday. They will likely never be, due to the fact that I consider the creating of such concepts to be an impossibility for me thanks to my lack of both patience and artistic ability.

Excuse the mess, I'll organize both of these concepts in time. At the very least to get this text to be coherent, complete and easier to read. At the moment it's only a jumble of muddled ideas.

Cosmic-Ray Wyrm - Iridescent wyrm with a sleek, dark semi-transparent body with a rather wispy outline, coated in colorful accents of iridescent hues depending on the type of light reflected by their scales.

There are to be 3 variations: Indigo: reflecting blue and purple light, Vermilion: reflecting orange and red light, and Chartreuse: reflecting yellow and green light.

The egg will be dark, possessing a colorful galaxy-like structure in the middle.

Name: Cosmic Ray Wyrm

Biome: Alpine - They only seek to dwell near mountainous peaks upon the rare occasions it strikes their fancy to wander into Earthly territories. Although encountering a Cosmic Ray Wyrm is quite the difficult deed within itself, one is most likely to sight these elusive dragons within the most remote regions of the Valkemarian Alpine.

Affinity: Light

Rarity: Rare

Description:

Egg Description:

Galaxies appear to swirl inside this lustrous egg.

Ideally, the egg should be dark, glossy with a gradient-like transparency. It should be darkest in the middle, fading out slightly towards the edges. A colorful, galaxy-like pattern/light swirl shines in the middle of it. The colors of this galaxy pattern can be, either those represented within the light spectrum or a specific pair of colors belonging to the respective variation of wyrm. As in, it can be possible for all the Wyrm variations to share a single, colorful egg or for each type to have its own, distinctively colored egg.

Hatchling S1 + S2 descriptions:

Aww…It’s a cute baby dragon. It happens to be rather elusive, being able to both appear and vanish at will.

And look! It has grown larger and its body has begun to reflect different colors whenever light hits.

at times vanishing without warning, vanishing and appearing at its will,

Illusionate Echo Pygmy:

Egg Description:

A delicate mist surrounds this tiny egg.

Small, pixie-like pygmy breed of dragon with diaphanous wings akin to those of a dragonfly. It resides deep within the darkest woodland caves, with the ability to bring out the worst in the minds of humans and dragons alike. Its body secretes a delicate, mist-like substance as perspiration that evaporates swiftly upon contact with oxygen in the surrounding atmosphere. Such a situation occurs whenever an Illusionate Echo Pygmy feels the need to either challenge another creature or feels threatened, which would so happen to be when invaders are sensed within its territories. This toxic haze induces auditory hallucinations hailing from the worst of nightmares - the victim’s deepest fears are brought to life as an awfully well-structured scenario that they must be subjected to for approximately eleven minutes. Few can consciously withstand an experience as intense as the psychological torture of an Illusionate Echo Pygmy’s self-defensive tactics, although to the resilient few beings who manage to withstand such excruciating conditions will have earned the favor of these fierce creatures. These beings typically reside in large clusters, although the occasional specimen choosing to reside independently is not unheard of. Solitary Illusionate Echoes tend towards consistent displays of aggression, being known to utilize their toxicity to harm other creatures for their own entertainment. They are nearly entirely sightless, therefore resorting to echolocation to identify their surroundings.

Their scales are crystal-like and faceted, colored from deep steel gray shades to midnight black. Their features are sleek, with vaguely fox-like facial features and lithesome, lizard-like bodies. Their wings are diaphanous and clear-cut like those of a dragonfly, emitting a faint glimmer whenever they flap. They possess two pairs of “eyes”, which in truth provide no aid to the process of sight itself. They are simply hollows within their faces where eyes would have once been prior to their evolutionary adaptation to lightless caverns. These facial hollows are filled with bio-luminescent fungi which casts the appearance of glowing eyes, serving as a far-away warning, allowing watchful wanderers to become aware of their location in an otherwise lightless venue.

Edited by andromedae

I once had an idea for an april fool's thing.

The option of picking from a selection of two-three dragons (kinda like the mint cave, but dragon egg choices) but as they grow up they all become the exact same, genderless, dragon. xd.png

That would probably grind a lot of people gears, but I think it'd be hilarious!

Edited by irrelevantindigo

Some scraps of stuff I wanted to add into Dragon Requests someday. They will likely never be, due to the fact that I consider the creating of such concepts to be an impossibility for me thanks to my lack of both patience and artistic ability.

Excuse the mess, I'll organize both of these concepts in time. At the very least to get this text to be coherent, complete and easier to read. At the moment it's only a jumble of muddled ideas.

Cosmic-Ray Wyrm - Iridescent wyrm with a sleek, dark semi-transparent body with a rather wispy outline, coated in colorful accents of iridescent hues depending on the type of light reflected by their scales.

There are to be 3 variations: Indigo: reflecting blue and purple light, Vermilion: reflecting orange and red light, and Chartreuse: reflecting yellow and green light.

The egg will be dark, possessing a colorful galaxy-like structure in the middle.

Name: Cosmic Ray Wyrm

Biome: Alpine - They only seek to dwell near mountainous peaks upon the rare occasions it strikes their fancy to wander into Earthly territories. Although encountering a Cosmic Ray Wyrm is quite the difficult deed within itself, one is most likely to sight these elusive dragons within the most remote regions of the Valkemarian Alpine.

Rarity: Rare

Description:

Egg Description:

Galaxies appear to swirl inside this lustrous egg.

Ideally, the egg should be dark, glossy with a gradient-like transparency. It should be darkest in the middle, fading out slightly towards the edges. A colorful, galaxy-like pattern/light swirl shines in the middle of it. The colors of this galaxy pattern can be, either those represented within the light spectrum or a specific pair of colors belonging to the respective variation of wyrm. As in, it can be possible for all the Wyrm variations to share a single, colorful egg or for each type to have its own, distinctively colored egg.

Hatchling S1 + S2 descriptions:

Aww…It’s a cute baby dragon. It happens to be rather elusive, being able to both appear and vanish at will.

And look! It has grown larger and its body has begun to reflect different colors whenever light hits.

at times vanishing without warning, vanishing and appearing at its will,

Illusionate Echo Pygmy:

Egg Description:

A delicate mist surrounds this tiny egg.

Small, pixie-like pygmy breed of dragon with diaphanous wings akin to those of a dragonfly. It resides deep within the darkest woodland caves, with the ability to bring out the worst in the minds of humans and dragons alike. Its body secretes a delicate, mist-like substance as perspiration that evaporates swiftly upon contact with oxygen in the surrounding atmosphere. Such a situation occurs whenever an Illusionate Echo Pygmy feels the need to either challenge another creature or feels threatened, which would so happen to be when invaders are sensed within its territories. This toxic haze induces auditory hallucinations hailing from the worst of nightmares - the victim’s deepest fears are brought to life as an awfully well-structured scenario that they must be subjected to for approximately eleven minutes. Few can consciously withstand an experience as intense as the psychological torture of an Illusionate Echo Pygmy’s self-defensive tactics, although to the resilient few beings who manage to withstand such excruciating conditions will have earned the favor of these fierce creatures. These beings typically reside in large clusters, although the occasional specimen choosing to reside independently is not unheard of. Solitary Illusionate Echoes tend towards consistent displays of aggression, being known to utilize their toxicity to harm other creatures for their own entertainment. They are nearly entirely sightless, therefore resorting to echolocation to identify their surroundings.

Their scales are crystal-like and faceted, colored from deep steel gray shades to midnight black. Their features are sleek, with vaguely fox-like facial features and lithesome, lizard-like bodies. Their wings are diaphanous and clear-cut like those of a dragonfly, emitting a faint glimmer whenever they flap. They possess two pairs of “eyes”, which in truth provide no aid to the process of sight itself. They are simply hollows within their faces where eyes would have once been prior to their evolutionary adaptation to lightless caverns. These facial hollows are filled with bio-luminescent fungi which casts the appearance of glowing eyes, serving as a far-away warning, allowing watchful wanderers to become aware of their location in an otherwise lightless venue.

wow that sounds incredible! i would love to see you put that in dragon requests~

wow that sounds incredible! i would love to see you put that in dragon requests~

I'm glad to hear you enjoy my somewhat chaotic brainstorming, Celly laugh.gif

I might take your word for it if I ever do get the chance to fully flesh out these ideas.

This is such a cool thread! Can't wait to see all the good ideas! biggrin.gif

Prism Wyvern

Rarity: Uncommon-Rare

This transparent egg emits waves of multi-colored glow (imagining it in my head kind of like when light bounces off of ocean waves.)

Aww, look, it’s a cute baby dragon. It seems to enjoy creating rainbows by directing light through its intricately patterned wings.

Prism Wyverns are extremely sociable and kind-hearted; they live in large, co-dependent communities, with the oldest of each group elected as the leader. They enjoy showing off the rainbows created by their transparent wings. Each dragon has a different pattern, and mates are chosen based on the beauty and intricacy of this pattern. Their preferred habitat is in mountains, as close to the sun as possible. They typically do not care for humans, and will only interact with those they find worthy.

this was just a small one that i'd gotten an idea for awhile ago.

Edited by chatbugdweeb

Great idea for a thread, Sock, thank you! And I support your call for more geology drags and anything with tentacles (yay!).

@andromedae: Love your Echo Pygmy, hope you'll add it to the requests section!

Most of the stuff I think up I keep for myself for my stuff but I have one that I kept to myself for about a year now

The Electrum dragon

It's an idea for a rare hybrid (between golds and silvers if you didn't feel like clicking the link).

I always imagined that they would look like winged easterns with moderately short bodies and a slightly stockier their average build, not really the delicate ribbon we normally get since golds are half the concept and golds have one of the most realistic builds in the cave.

I never womaned-up made a concept for it because it would be shot down by the playerbase and likely the original spriters (plus I didn't know who to contact and didn't wanna ask)

Also because I can't sprite and I don't like not contributing to this sorta thing, there was always someone who could do it better then me and I didn't wanna waste their time on something that will never be added because both TJ and the playerbase seem to despise actual challenges making it into the caves.

I might flesh it out later but I gotta go.

Edited by blockEdragon

This sounds so gorgeous. ;~;

Great idea for a thread, Sock, thank you! And I support your call for more geology drags and anything with tentacles (yay!).

Yes, let's start a petition. =p

I'm not sure I'm allowed to tell the concept since it's a Valentine's Dragon idea I want to see created, so if it's not allowed, feel free to edit it out (or tell me to delete the post entirely). Unless someone has been submitting a similar concept already to TJ, I'd appreciate a simple message if an artist wants to work on it. I don't have to be involved if you do not want, but I can be. I just want to see it come to life, y'know? happy.gif

Name: Glass Rose Dragon

Influence: A girl's boyfriend goes up to her and presents her with a bouquet of roses. He says to her, "I will love you until the last rose dies." The girlfriend takes the bouquet and notices that one rose is fake. A Glass Rose, to be precise. They take each other in an embrace and (que "ewww") kiss!

Color: White/Off-white, Green, and Red.

Excuse the crude Photoshopping (Please keep in mind that I have no idea what I'm doing tbh; I'm not an Artist xd.png): http://i.imgur.com/ul63nV3.jpg

Things can be added, subtracted, changed, et cetera. I also understand that they might have to be considering we already have the Rosebud, and even though I do not see the similarities, some may say it's simply a Rosebud with red roses instead of pink ones. ^^'

Yeah, this isn't really a place to advertise your concepts. ^^;; It's more to share concepts that you're not really going to follow through on. It's just for fun, so we can see each other's ideas that are otherwise not going to see the light of day.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I would very very very much love a tentacled dragon. Some of my favorite animals are squid, octopi, and nautiluses (nautili?) ;u;

I just want more aquatic dragons in general? Something inspired by a plesiosaur/the Loch Ness monster; some more epic-looking Leviathans; a marine dragon with a shell or shell-like exoskeleton, maybe inspired by a crab or lobster.

One odd idea I have (which would totally violate several biological principles and probably make no scientific sense whatsoever but would be really fun) is for a dragon breed that doesn't reproduce sexually - so, no egg produced by two parents, but something else. Either asexual reproduction wherein the dragon "splits" into two identical offspring (or spawns off a clone of itself or something like that); or something like an earthworm where part of the dragon's body is removed and grows into a fully-formed organism. Which I suppose would also qualify as asexual reproduction.

Weirdness weirdness.

Edited by glamoursea2

I mentioned it in the cockatrice request, but dragons based on how the cuckoo lays eggs in other nests. These guys could be pretty generic to blend in easily with other hatchlings, but with one or two bright defining features that only appear at adulthood. Their lore is that they sneak their eggs among other dragons meaning that they might have a few color morphs/ability to change appearance to keep up the charade?

Or maybe they're just bullies like actual cuckoos. :< Dragons who get rid of Cuckoo dragon eggs get their nests vandalized.

Spider dragon. A dragon with a serpentine body, very long and sinuous. And at the head instead of the classic dragon's head the body would meld into the shape of a spider with the eight spider legs. The spider part would be proportionate and therefore huge. There would be wings on some part of the body. It would have spinnerets at the end of its tail and it's web would be used for defence and for catching prey.

So basically a huge flying dragon spider.

A while ago I had the idea to create a hybrid between two breeds that are REALLY dissimilar anatomy wise - like Mints and Nhiostrifes (for example) and have them randomly mix features.

The name would be something like 'Mutant Dragons' and if you breed an egg of the dragon breed the colour (?) and number of legs would be determined upon hatching, once they matured they might grow wings or not.

Ideally you would get around half a dozen variants of adults (no dimorphism) with 0/2/4 legs and a pair of wings/no wings.

The dragons would look weird and maybe a bit sickly reasoning that the very different anatomy wasn't all that compatible.

Lorewise there would be variants with uneven number of limbs, 4 legs and TWO pair of wings and of course they would GREATLY vary in size.

Also I'm almost convinced they would be infertile.

I love messing around with heavily modified anatomy. A little thing of mine is to have dragons that are 'wing-walkers' - either knuckle walkers like an ape, or even more delicate creatures balanced on the tips of their digits like a horse, leaving their arms free to gather stuff and so on.

Since 'dragon' is such a loose term, I often go wild with my designs with this being the only thing in common: mammal-like reptile. DC, though, has a much stricter definition of what a dragon is and many of my designs would sure as heck not make the cut.

Apparently no matter how sound the anatomical structure is, dare fuse a few bones together or adjust their weight, length and so on, or even give a bipedal dragon a 'pot-belly' so it actually has a balanced centre of gravity, then it's no longer considered a nice dragon.

Still, I'd like to mess around with my 'wing-walker' concepts a bit. I'd love to see something that unconventional in the cave.

I was looking at sea slugs a while back, for their name they are some of the prettiest of sea creatures. I thought they'd make a super cute Pygmy dragon.

My friend and I keep talking about making a hydra, where it starts out with one or two heads but when you try to kill it it can have 3 outcomes: dodged, death, or beheading one of the heads. If the latter happens the sprite changes to having another head, and you can go up to 5 heads overall but there's always a chance you'll just straight up kill it and you would have to start from the beginning. The same can be done on frozen or even growing hatchlings. I think it would be exciting to collect one of each possible number of heads. Or you could just keep them at their minimum amount of heads and not attack them at all.

So I was searching around in the wiki a few nights ago and I kind of noticed that the fairy dragon slots remained empty as of yet. I loved dragons and I also adored fairies, so I think it will be awesome if there would be fae dragons released. Something that might be a bit insect-related. I adore glasswing butterflies, and I think it will be nice to have some of their features rubbed into sprites, especially the fragile transparent wings. Hatchlings would look like wingless caterpillars, mature hatchlings might even spin cocoons or whatever but will eventually grow into something like it.

-Maybe a BSA from some time-related dragon that will speed up the growth of hatchlings like the Incubate. xd.png

-Squishy and chubby jellyfish related dragons with long glowy ribbony tails and the ruffle jellyfish trims.

-Dragons that may look a bit more horrific, taking reference from angler and viper fishes. All that huge mouths and needle teeth and a bit of light. My witch oc will love keeping those. xd.png

-Mechanical steampunk dragons. Ungendered and enchanted, its egg all made of gears and gradually unfolds into some hatchie. With the hatchling just collecting some metal scraps/tools to grow up and mature, perhaps?

-Skeletal/cathedral/architecture inspired dragons. Stained glass and flimsy, bony features and all that.

-Lace inspired dragons. >< Alts can be black/white.

But then these are just random ideas. Someone else might have thought about these, too, esp. the BSA part. xd.png

Edited by Dena Walker

This is such a fun idea! I'd like to contribute my own dragon thought to the thread biggrin.gif

Name: Shadow Toxin

Element: Dark

Rarity: Uncommon

Egg description: This egg is dark and steaming, not from heat, but from the corrosive shell!

Hatchling descriptiob: Aww...It's a cute baby dragon. It's very playful, but the other hatchlings seem wary.

Hatchling 2 description: Aww...It's a cute baby dragon. It's very playful, but the other hatchlings seem wary. And look! It has grown wings! It must be close to maturing.

Dragon description: Shadow Toxin Dragons are known to be very social, though unfortunately, few other species of dragon appreciate this trait due to their extremely toxic skin. They are known to travel in small groups, which are usually close-knit family members traveling in a pack. Adult females are known to be stealthy hunters, while the larger males are better suited for guarding the young and eggs. These strange dragons, while known for their friendly behavior, are better known for their bright poison excreted from their neck and wings. The wings themselves are useless and weak, unable to lift the dragons into flight, and instead leak their characteristic green toxin. This unique poison is often used in decorative body paint, but only after the toxins in the poison have been neutralized by water.

Dragon looks & description: Their skin is black and sleek, without a scale anywhere on their body. Their poison glows a bright neon green, and secretes from several areas on their body. Their wings are rather small, and are too weak to carry them into the air. The frill on their bottom jaw is normally concealed by their protruding jaw bones, but when expressing different emotions, it becomes exposed and glows brighter. They have oddly shaped joints that enable them to climb and traverse with much ease, making them excellent treetop hunters. They are known to live in caves however, but reside mostly in the high branches of deep jungle trees.

Edited by Faolyn

-Mechanical steampunk dragons. Ungendered and enchanted, its egg all made of gears and gradually unfolds into some hatchie. With the hatchling just collecting some metal scraps/tools to grow up and mature, perhaps?

I was just heading over here to post this.

A little clockwork dragon is something I want really bad, have sketched several designs for, and even claimed some names for, despite knowing that TJ said there won't be any more like the papers and cheeses.

I can still dream.... sad.gif