TJ09

DC Lore AMA

Let's make a topic similar to the Ask A Mod threads, but focused on DC Lore. Help flesh out the world of Valkemare by asking those burning questions you need answered.

Chances are whatever's being asked is going to reach into territory that I haven't thought about, so I'll be making a lot of stuff up as I go and/or giving non-definitive answers, so insert the usual disclaimer about taking everything here with a grain of salt.

Edited by Kaini

Ooh, cool, an AMA. Here's a question I haven't seen anywhere - why do some dragons live in every biome? Pinks for example, they don't seem like the type to survive well in the cold Alpine, or on the coast where there won't be many plants in the sand, but they're found literally everywhere.

... I had a question a week ago, but of course I can no longer recall what it was.

In any case, great idea and I'm pretty sure I'll be back with an actual question!

Why is a sweetling able to mate with a stone dragon? I would figure a sweetling would be waaaay to small to reach anything of importance.

Ooh, cool, an AMA. Here's a question I haven't seen anywhere - why do some dragons live in every biome? Pinks for example, they don't seem like the type to survive well in the cold Alpine, or on the coast where there won't be many plants in the sand, but they're found literally everywhere.

I think your view of the biomes is a bit exaggerated from what actually constitutes those biomes.

Someone (I think Sock) pointed out that they live in what is technically a desert, but there is still plant life. Not all deserts are inhospitable (though the descriptions on the site are perhaps lend to that perception), nor are all alpine biomes.

So dragons that are in every biome are just generally not picky about things like temperature ranges, humidity, or access to niche food sources.

Why is a sweetling able to mate with a stone dragon? I would figure a sweetling would be waaaay to small to reach anything of importance.

This is one of those things that I don't think is actually realistic or canon, but is an example of separation of game mechanics from reality for the purposes of allowing people to do more interesting things.

Similarly, the various classes of dragons (easterns, wyverns, etc) are probably different enough that not all of them would actually be able to breed together.

... I had a question a week ago, but of course I can no longer recall what it was.

In any case, great idea and I'm pretty sure I'll be back with an actual question!

Well if you remember it, this thread will be here.

Asking the important questions.

Is there a title for somebody who raises dragons (us)? Keeper, trainer, raiser, etc.

Can humans use mana, or is sorcery completely separate from dragon magic?

Is there a governmental system of some sort, or is it just dog eat dog with humans stealing and raising dragons?

Are dragons ever made to fight each other, a la pokemon battles? If so, is it a sport?

ETA: Is there an in-universe explanation for why we have to carry around eggs for five hours after picking them up from a biome?

Edited by The_Bucket

What's the purpose of our scrolls? What are we called? IE: Hunters, breeders, etc? Do we "own" the dragons we raise?

Hot Skitty on Wailord Action 8)

What's the purpose of our scrolls? What are we called? IE: Hunters, breeders, etc? Do we "own" the dragons we raise?

I am obvs not a TJ but I think that's up to the scroll owners. I think I own some of my dragons and am simply recording the life histories of others. As for why I'm cataloguing, it's because it's fun!

MY QUESTIONS!!!

-> How abundant is mana in Valkemare? Is more constantly being formed? Have wars been fought over particularly rich reserves of it? (Ohmai, a lot of questions in one there <___<)

-> Can humans / dragons with "innate" connections to magic channel that into spells, or is mana required for anything so specific?

-> This is based off the Christmas stories from this year, so if it's not canon than never mind, but how limited are Avatars in what they can do? The Avatar of Change said he didn't want to interfere out of respect for the GoNs, but wouldn't not being allowed to fiddle with the world go against the Avatars' Creative / Change / Destruction inclinations? (Ex: "I know you're an Avatar of Destruction, son, but if you destroy anything SO HELP MYSELF I will PUMMEL YOU INTO A MOUNTAIN.")

...Maybe I'm over thinking that last one and they just aren't allowed to drastically alter the course of the world around them though, hm.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Why you don't breed your rosebud? (or at least it is not in the Thuwed page)

Lots of things aren't on the Thuwed page yet, they just haven't been paired and added. This probably would go better in the thread in the Ask-A-Mod section though, since it's not really about lore.

I think that is for his mod page, lol.

Also, Where is Galsreim in Valkenmare? I am very curious as to where that is geographically. I am trying to make a map in my head of where places with names are. I am wanting to expand a little of my imagery of the world.

Edited by ElementalMistressLuna

Asking the important questions.
HSOWA.

Is there a title for somebody who raises dragons (us)? Keeper, trainer, raiser, etc.
I feel like I've used a few different words in the past, so I guess there's not currently an official word. There's certainly not one that's a proper noun (like Pokemon Trainer is).

Can humans use mana, or is sorcery completely separate from dragon magic?
Humans can use mana, though there is some sort of vague, unspecified "processing" required to transform mana into something humans can safely use. Like the encyclopedia, exposure to raw mana can have transformative effects (my current headcanon is that there are several different "sub-races/communities" of humans who are still human, but have been transformed by a specific type of raw mana; e.g. maybe people who have been exposed to water mana being able to live in/underwater).

Is there a governmental system of some sort, or is it just dog eat dog with humans stealing and raising dragons?
There is organized society, with towns and cities. It's not all just one giant frontier (specifically the main continent has several cities; the one on the lower left with the volcano probably has some settlements, the lower right one might be unsettled? I forget).

The government (and this is where I'm making things up on the spot) is probably some combination of a monarchy and a republic. e.g. a king/queen with some elected council.

Are dragons ever made to fight each other, ala pokemon battles? If so, is it a sport?
I think DC tends to portray dragons as being much more sentient beings (who may be smarter than humans), rather than Pokemon's portrayal as their creatures being more like pets. The point being, it's unlikely that keepers/raisers/whatever really "make" dragons do much at all.

ETA: Is there an in-universe explanation for why we have to carry around eggs for five hours after picking them up from a biome?
Probably not. Edited by TJ09

Is there a canon explanation for the thuweds and how sought after they are?

Okay, most pressing questions first...

We dragon breeders (echoing the earlier question of what ARE we called?) have our own aeries/dens/fortresses (again, what ARE they called?).

What would be the status of a (dragon breeder) in human society?

Can any of the humans in Valkemare potentially use magic, or is there some inborn talent needed, á la Harry Potter? And does it take years of training to control magic, or can even children cast simple spells?

I think that is for his mod page, lol.

Also, Where is Galsreim in Valkenare? I am very curious as to where that is geographically. I am trying to make a map in my head of where places with names are. I am wanting to expand a little of my imagery of the world.

As a note, this would be fun to add some location names to the biome map. Just saying. tongue.gif

How do dragons and people inter-communicate? Can all dragons speak English (or whatever language is spoken in Valkenare) like the outspoken ones in our holiday adventures so far?

And on the subject, if we're friendly with so many of the dragons, why do we steal eggs from the cave? Wouldn't that eventually start to hurt people/dragon relations? And if we're not stealing the eggs from our dragon friends, where are they coming from?

There are a few ways this could go. Obviously, it's unlikely that there are humans out there that raise hundreds/thousands of dragons, given that dragons probably live longer than people.

So to some extent, it's all just Game Logic℠, just like it's unlikely that a Pokemon can hatch then evolve to full maturity within a few days (of in-game time).

More likely is that there are people who have a close partnership with one (or a few?) dragon(s).

I did have the passing thought of the scrolls being a "game" by kids who are playing pretend by raising imaginary dragons and keeping track of their progress on paper. But that might be trivializing all of DC.

It's probably best to just leave that up to interpretation.

Is there some sort of central power like a council in charge of controlling the scroll owners? Is that why we have to document everything via the scroll? It would also make sense because it would ensure nobody gets ahold of a powerful dragon and ruins everything with it.

Also, is there some kind of scroll owner headquarters where we can be trained, group up or join forces in times of need (like the keep in magistream)?

Does each person own all of their dragons in the single cave on the site? How big would this thing have to be to fit hundreds of thousands of dragons (some of which are huge)? Where is it located in Valkemare?

Or is it that each person has their own personal huge cave somewhere on the continent where all of their dragons live?

Oooooooh I'm so glad you're doing this thread, TJ =O My questions might be a bit... Out there... But, hey, why not ask?

• Are any of the dragon breeds hunted for food? We know humans hunt dragons, as evidenced by the Golds' description and the presence of dragon-hide gloves in the Halloween event, so I've been curious about how far their usage of the carcasses goes.
  • Are there any draconic religions, either among the breeds or widespread across them all?
  • similarly, are there any cults or religions that worship some of the breeds?
  • Are there any other significant land masses in Valkemare, in addition to Galsreim? Are any named?
  • How advanced is draconic culture?
  • How deeply are humans affected by prolonged exposure to large quantities of mana? Do they experience radical changes, like plants, or do they have a high enough tolerance to it that any changes are minute and unnoticeable?

That should be all... For now tongue.gif

How do dragons and people inter-communicate?  Can all dragons speak English (or whatever language is spoken in Valkenare) like the outspoken ones in our holiday adventures so far?

I'm not TJ, so YMMV, but my understanding is that the dragons communicate telepathically - there probably is no need for a language, per se, just the ability to send ideas back and forth. Instead of, say, "fire", you telepathically communicate the idea of a flame. Etc.

Edit:

How deeply are humans affected by prolonged exposure to large quantities of mana? Do they experience radical changes, like plants, or do they have a high enough tolerance to it that any changes are minute and unnoticeable?

Humans can use mana, though there is some sort of vague, unspecified "processing" required to transform mana into something humans can safely use. Like the encyclopedia, exposure to raw mana can have transformative effects (my current headcanon is that there are several different "sub-races/communities" of humans who are still human, but have been transformed by a specific type of raw mana; e.g. maybe people who have been exposed to water mana being able to live in/underwater).

(Emphasis mine)

Edited by AGYK

-> How abundant is mana in Valkemare? Is more constantly being formed? Have wars been fought over particularly rich reserves of it? (Ohmai, a lot of questions in one there <___<)

Quite abundant. More being formed: Undetermined. Wars: Almost definitely.

-> Can humans / dragons with "innate" connections to magic channel that into spells, or is mana required for anything so specific?

In a much more limited fashion, and probably not "consciously;" anything that happens would be more an extension of their physical selves and the abilities that having a real body provides.

-> This is based off the Christmas stories from this year, so if it's not canon than never mind, but how limited are Avatars in what they can do? The Avatar of Change said he didn't want to interfere out of respect for the GoNs, but wouldn't not being allowed to fiddle with the world go against the Avatars' Creative / Change / Destruction inclinations? (Ex: "I know you're an Avatar of Destruction, son, but if you destroy anything SO HELP MYSELF I will PUMMEL YOU INTO A MOUNTAIN.")

...Maybe I'm over thinking that last one and they just aren't allowed to drastically alter the course of the world around them though, hm.

The various events (Halloween, Holidays, etc) aren't explicitly canon, if only because they operated on a very undefined canon that has evolved a lot since each of them happened.

Like mana being constantly in balance with each other, the avatars have a similar balance. So the Avatar(s) of Destruction (which might be a singular/very small group) could do things, but the Avatar(s) of Creation would put a stop to it, while the Avatar(s) of Creation are kept in check by Change.

Because rock-paper-scissors.