olympe

Other trophies with new benefits

Okay, so I came up with a suggestion to add trophies with rather particular benefits for the people who have them - benefits that are not the standard +1 egg slot / + 3 overall growing things slots. Sock said that this suggestion might be better off in its own thread, so here it is. The rest of the post is mostly a quote from my earlier suggestion.

Other kinds of trophies

1. Owning at least one of each (standard) dragon breed. Might give you one extra egg slot / 3 extra hatchling slots. Does not include holiday dragons, unbreedables and special breeding groups (drakes, 2-heads and pygmies). Does not include dragons you can only obtain through special means (vampire, zombie, neglected, GoN). New breeds will only count towards the total of dragons one month after their release.
  2. Owning at least one of each pygmy breed. Might give you 1 pygmy-only egg slot plus 3 pygmy-only hatchling slots. (If that's not possible, delete this suggestion.) Pumpkins, for obvious reasons, don't count towards the total, as they're holiday dragons.
  3. Same as above, only for drakes, two-headeds and CB unbreedables.
  4. As an alternative to 2 and 3, since that suggestion came up in the other thread: Owning one of each non-standard dragon breed (save pumpkins), meaning one of each 2-head, one of each pygmy and one of each drake. Could add one egg slot for non-standard breeds only, as well as +3 overall growing things slots for non-standard breeds.
  5. Owning a certain number of zombies. (Maybe bronze, silver and golden zombie trophy for 5, 20 and 50 zombies, respectively?) Could increase your number of kill slots by 5 for each trophy level.
  6. Owning 100 vampire dragons. Might decrease your bite BSA cooldown by 10 days or reduce the risk of killing the bitten egg.
  7. Owning 50/200/500 frozen hatchlings (bronze/silver/gold level). Might increase your freezing limit by +2 (or +5?) for each trophy level.
  8. Owning 50/200/500 self-bred dragons. Might give you +1/+2/+3 egg slots for self-bred eggs. Alternately, the rate of refusals / no interest could be decreased.
  9. Owning 50/200/500 CB dragons. Might reduce the timer for abandoning and/or trading a CB egg by one hour each.
I also thought about adding a trophy suggestion for neglecteds (like owning 5/20/50?) that will enhance your chances of creating them.

Do you have any other suggestion for trophies that give you a benefit? (Apart from additional trophy levels, as discussion takes place over here.)

Edited by olympe

Question: are you including hybrids in #1?

I could see doing so but you weren't specific. Hybrids I believe are considered a special breeding group since you cannot obtain them in the cave.

I rather like your ideas.

I personally prefer drakes, pygmies, and 2-heads each being their own trophy and prize slot.

Fi does bring up a good point. Hybrids and bred alts are somewhat of a special case. I think it's reasonable to include them in the main trophy, since they can each be obtained by breeding breeds that you have to have to get the trophy.

I really, really like these suggestions. And each benefit is tied to what you do, so for instance no one is going to be butthurt about not getting the zombie benefit if they don't do zombies.... I love it.

For the Vampire one, I'd suggest a reduced repulsion rate - after all, it's the other dragons that push the egg away, and if you had 100 vampires around, they're less likely to allow the dragons to roll the egg away.

I do love these suggestions, though!

Perhaps you could have a CB-only eggslot when you have a certain number of CB dragons on your scroll - or a reduced wait, perhaps to 3 hours, then 1 hour, then removed, for different levels?

Perhaps owning Neglecteds (or, if possible, /creating/ the Neglecteds - trading for them wouldn't count? Or trading or creating, so that you gain the benefit whichever you do)) would give you an eggslot that reduces the timer of the egg automatically by one day, and/or autofogs until the egg has 1 day left, and/or shows the ToD to the minute rather than the hour?

Any and all of those things would be useful in creating Neglecteds.

Perhaps the slot would have a drawback of not allowing any other breed than a Neglected to hatch, so unless it turns, it won't hatch? That would prevent the extra slot just being used as an extra slot, but that's not necessary, really. If you've gained the NDs for the slot, you've earned an extra slot.

I agree that non-standard DC breeds should each have their own 'category'; they do have fewer breeds, and therefore are easier to collect all of, but the slot gained is more restricted. It's more balanced.

But if they have to be together, it'd still be brilliant. smile.gif

Overall, definitely support! The idea is great.

I do like the fact that what you are proposing for zombies, frozens, etc. will only benefit people who collect those things.

I'm not sure how I would keep track of so many "x-only" slots, though. Would the "egg limits" page show me whether that 2-headed egg on my scroll was collected when only that slot was open? Would it continue to occupy that extra "2-headed only" slot until it hatched? Or am I over-thinking this? laugh.gif I know there was a time when we had an "extra" bred-only egg slot, but I don't remember the exact mechanics of that, either. I think as soon as something hatched that space was available again but only for a bred egg? Would this work the same way?

Question: are you including hybrids in #1?

I could see doing so but you weren't specific. Hybrids I believe are considered a special breeding group since you cannot obtain them in the cave.

I rather like your ideas.

Frankly, I haven't thought that through at all. But, all things considered, I'd probably consider hybrids and geodes their own special breeds. Alts, however, I wouldn't count as a different breed, as alt blacks, vines and undines are still blacks, vines or undines, respectively. Same goes for color morphs and the like.

Because, let's face it, getting even one alt black/vine/undine can be very tedious indeed, and since their occurrence is clearly tied to the ever-shifting ratios, I'd rather not open that particular can of worms.

So, for standard dragon breeds: One of each. Never mind the morph (stripes, dorsals, ridgewings...) or alt/non-alt status. Plus hybrids. No holidays, no alts as separate "breed". No GoNs (since they're very hard to get if you've got bad luck).

Which leaves the question whether to count the Avatars should be counted as normal hybrids or not. Any thoughts on that?

Perhaps you could have a CB-only eggslot when you have a certain number of CB dragons on your scroll - or a reduced wait, perhaps to 3 hours, then 1 hour, then removed, for different levels?

Perhaps owning Neglecteds (or, if possible, /creating/ the Neglecteds - trading for them wouldn't count? Or trading or creating, so that you gain the benefit whichever you do)) would give you an eggslot that reduces the timer of the egg automatically by one day, and/or autofogs until the egg has 1 day left, and/or shows the ToD to the minute rather than the hour?

Considering that adding a CB-only egg slot is as good as an extra egg slot (most of the time), I don't feel like adding that. However, reducing the cooldown for abandoning and/or trading a CB egg is a brilliant idea, and I'll add it to the OP.

I really am not sure about a super-powered extra egg slot for ND experiments only, though. It seems overpowered to me.

Frankly, I've got no idea how TJ would code things about the x-only slots, but I guess it should be possible to *not* count up to 1 pygmy egg / up to 3 growing pygmies towards your limits, which would essentially be the equivalent of that pygmy-only extra egg slot or the 3 pygmy-only "growing things" slots. Same goes for the other breeding groups. The limits page could then display the number of pygmy eggs/hatchlings on your scroll that do not count towards your scroll limits, whereas that pesky pygmy egg would take precedence over hatchlings (so you actually benefit from the extra pygmy-only egg slot even if you have 3+ pygmy hatchlings on your scroll). Am I making sense?

Edited by olympe

Hmmm..... Having an extra egg slot for each sub-group is nice because "maor eggs!" but.... Lemme try to put it into words.

There are currently 9 Drake breeds, 8 Pygmy breeds, and 7 Two-head breeds (if I've counted right), giving 25.... If you count Two-headed Lindwurms as 2 breeds and counting the Holiday Pumpkins. Someone with no trophy can get the Two-heads in 9 days, and the Drakes and Pygmies in not much more time. In short.... In less than a month, they can increase their egg slots by 75%.... without even hitting a Bronze Trophy!

My point is..... Getting 3 slots (even limited ones) for a month of work (at most) seems like its a huge reward for very little effort. These trophies strike me as something we want people to work for, not a handout of slots. And giving that many slots would also put huge pressure on the ratios of those specific breeds, which unless that is the intent of this, would not be a good idea. Even giving out 1 slot for all 3 would put pressure on the sub-species, and they are already not very blocker-ish.

So I'd combine the non-standards, and the hybrids, into one category and give one non-standard slot for collecting one of each. Otherwise, its this huge reward for very little effort compared to all the other trophies. And I speak as someone who has 16 of every breed in question. And even combined..... You're looking at less than 30 dragons to get a limited slot. *shrug* still very little effort for a huge reward.

Cheers!

C4.

Good points, C4, all of them. I guess you're right about combining the non-standard dragon breeds for one kind of trophy.

Good points, C4, all of them. I guess you're right about combining the non-standard dragon breeds for one kind of trophy.

But likewise - which I must say, great suggestion - as these breeds expand eventually there will be a longer time frame to collect these "species". Might not happen in a year, even 5, but down the track?....

At least with these trophies, is can be for anyone to work towards and give beginners a sense of "yay, I doing this right"

I totally agree with this idea. You get to the 500-dragon marker so quickly, and after that there’s nothing? After a mere 500, there’s nothing else to aspire to? That seems silly to me. There really should be more trophies to achieve. (And a bigger limit on eggs.) It would lend an extra sense of achievement to the game, something more to aspire to. I never really got why 500 / gold was the last trophy scrolls can achieve, anyway. Where’s the diamond trophy? The platinum one?!

The only thing I'd add to your post is trophies for 1000, 2000, and 5000 dragons. Perhaps the egg slots could grow by two for each trophy. I think 5000 is a reasonable limit - few people have many more than that.

Edited by bob_jones

As much as I agree with extra tophy levels including higher limits, I really don't want to discuss them in this very thread as it branched off from a thread about just that. If you want to suggest additional trophy levels, please do so here.

I love these ideas. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this one yet, but owning x amount of the same breed, regardless of what that breed is. Something like that for th collectors with huge armies would be cool. smile.gif

Good question, really.

If it has to be a benefit, maybe subtract half a day from the timer of each egg/hatchling of that breed? Or maybe have different trophy levels, where each level subtracts 6 hours from the respective timer? This might not seem like much, but it will allow us to hatch/raise our little ones without it getting an hour later each time...

However, I don't think I'd want that for any rares, maybe not even for true uncommons (trios, coppers...). This way, we give people an incentive to collect the more common breeds, with a benefit specifically suited to said breed. However, I wouldn't want anyone to create armies of golds and silvers only to get one of those trophies.

The next question would be: do you get one of these trophies for each breed you have such an army of? Say the trophy is awarded for 200. If I have at least 200 Shadow Walkers and 200 Spirit Wards, do I get a trophy for each? It could get a little crowded on the trophy shelf. And is it really fair to single out the rarer breeds for exclusion?

I'd rather see "achievements" for owning large numbers of a single breed. A flag or trophy of some sort that is visible but carries no benefits other than bragging rights.

Bragging rights are nice and all, and I wouldn't mind them even for rare breeds. However, with benefits involved, I'd rather not see these trophies for rare breeds. That might just be me, though, and probably something TJ would not agree with anyway. (He doesn't seem to like exceptions, as far as I can tell. Which isn't all that far, but something to keep in mind anyway.)

Another question is where to put the limits for "bragging rights trophies". Like the current trophy levels, just for one single breed? That would make it 50/200/500. Or should the limits be lower than that, like 25/100/250? I honestly don't know.

Edited by olympe

For the Vampire one, I'd suggest a reduced repulsion rate - after all, it's the other dragons that push the egg away, and if you had 100 vampires around, they're less likely to allow the dragons to roll the egg away.

I do love these suggestions, though!

Any and all of those things would be useful in creating Neglecteds.

Perhaps the slot would have a drawback of not allowing any other breed than a Neglected to hatch, so unless it turns, it won't hatch? That would prevent the extra slot just being used as an extra slot, but that's not necessary, really. If you've gained the NDs for the slot, you've earned an extra slot.

I agree that non-standard DC breeds should each have their own 'category'; they do have fewer breeds, and therefore are easier to collect all of, but the slot gained is more restricted. It's more balanced.

But if they have to be together, it'd still be brilliant. smile.gif

Overall, definitely support! The idea is great.

and if you have over 1500 of the things, the chance of repulsion would probably be tiny.

I kinda agree with that because vampires are not likely to be repulsed. they probably would be rather proud and potentially protective.

Although the cool-down would be moot for a person with my numbers, but I could see the benefit if it was say reduced by at least 7 days. Maybe reduction per 500 with a total of 14 days off cool down.

I would like to toss in a kink with having "too many vampires...." - if there is such a thing. Perhaps other dragons have a harder time breeding out of fear that their egg may get turned. (would not include holiday breedables)

I would like a special trophy for having lots and lots of dragons.

Quite a few people have 5,000 or 10,000 dragons. Even if it would be with no added egg/hatchling benefit, I would still like a special trophy.

I think more trophies would be really nice!

Not everyone has the same goals and diversifying trophies and their rewards would be great.

I really love the idea of taking days off of how long it takes to move from one stage to another!

Another idea:

-A trophy for using a lot of a certain BSA(like the magikarp one)? But for teleport or bite or any non-breeding-related BSAs.

@PrincessLucy: This is not the thread for additional trophies for the sum of (non-growing) dragons on our scrolls. Please visit this thread to discuss a black/diamond/don't-know-what trophy.

@indigo: I considered trophies for using a BSA loads of times, but what would it be good for? Personally, I don't feel it's necessary, much less beneficial to the gameplay. (However, I'm open to debate.)

@olympe I see your point. That's sort of why I compared it to thr magikarp badge— it's sully and largely pointless but it's still an achievement to work toward.

Edit: The only gain of earning such a badge is that when people look at your scroll they can see you've done it.

But you are right that it would really add to gameplay all that much.

Edited by irrelevantindigo

The thing is - Splash is absolutely useless, its only purpose is getting the magikarp badge. All other BSAs, though, have a purpose. (Well, with the exception of Earthquake, I dare say. Earthquake doesn't have a purpose any more.) We already get a reward for using a BSA, so adding a trophy is like a double reward IMHO.

Bragging rights are nice and all, and I wouldn't mind them even for rare breeds. However, with benefits involved, I'd rather not see these trophies for rare breeds. That might just be me, though, and probably something TJ would not agree with anyway. (He doesn't seem to like exceptions, as far as I can tell. Which isn't all that far, but something to keep in mind anyway.)

Another question is where to put the limits for "bragging rights trophies". Like the current trophy levels, just for one single breed? That would make it 50/200/500. Or should the limits be lower than that, like 25/100/250? I honestly don't know.

I agree that any "benefits" for quantity trophies could be problematical, particularly for rares. That's what is behind my preference that the "x number of Y breed" trophies be without benefits.

50 of a breed is still a decent accomplishment. That's more or less what I was thinking: have it be the same levels as our scroll trophies. 50/200/500.

i really love the zombies increasing kill slots, frozen hatchlings increasing freeze limit, and CB dragons reducing the timer!

all your ideas are good but those would be most beneficial to me i think biggrin.gif