prairiecrow

NaNoWriMo

A search turned up no topic (surprisingly), so here we go... hopefully it's in the right section! (If not, of course feel free to move it to the proper area.)

Are you taking part in National Novel Writing Month this year?

http://www.nanowrimo.org

Basically the challenge is to write a 50,000-word novel in 30 days. The slogan of NaNoWriMo is "No plot, no problem!" -- the point of the contest is to slug out that 50k with no worries about editing, or plotting, or advanced characterization, or any of that stuff that can wait for the second draft. By the end of the month, if you succeed, you will ideally have the first draft of a novel: YOUR novel. It's a chance to let go of fear, lock up your inner editor for the month, and just plunge right into the task of becoming a writer with a finished book under your belt.

I've done it for the past two years (won both) and ended up loving it. The website offers excellent support services, and many major cities have their own local activities tied into NaNo which you can attend in person.

For those of you who have already decided to take part, what are you writing about this year? Have you done a lot of advance planning, or are you just going to start writing on November 1st and hope for the best?

Here's my novel's short summary:

In the year 2035 in Chicago, two paranormal government investigators with their own supernatural powers are assigned to solve a series of ritual murders. The problem is that one is a Southern Baptist and one is a Wiccan, and neither of them want to be working together. The novel follows their evolving relationship as they try to best each other, solve the crime and ultimately prevent the destruction of the city they are sworn to protect.

And my author page:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/240900

Here's to big fat word counts and general success for all! biggrin.gif

I've been doing it every year ever since I was 8. So doing it this year, and I know what story I wanna write. biggrin.gif

NaNo! <3

Found out about it four years ago and started as soon as I heard about it. Won all three years (even last year when I came down with swine flu and didn't write for half the month x3) and am hoping to do so this year, too. I may end up using Write or Die again (it's what seriously saved me last year) but I'll probably start out not using it, since I have no idea what I want to write yet. Ah well, still have a bit of time to think about it. :3

I'll post my profile link later and buddy people then. :3

... This is awesome O__O

50k words though... *flails*

And I'd already have lost three days and school and...

Maybe I'll do it. Maybe.

EDIT: Oh it's next month xd.png I thought it was this month. In that case I'm more likely to do it.

Edited by Dashidragon

Dash: It doesn't have to be 50k. I've always done 40k, since that's the minimum of words that a book can have.

It's not so much the 50k. I'm longwinded so that wouldn't be too much of a problem. Y'see though, this is prime college application time and I'm a senior so I have to write all thos essays and X__x and... and... *flails*

Saying I wrote 50k words in a month though would look awesome on a college application.

Dash: It doesn't have to be 50k. I've always done 40k, since that's the minimum of words that a book can have.

It does have to be 50k if you want to verify your novel via the NaNo website and get the winner's certificate. smile.gif

But true... there's nothing to say you couldn't set a different word count goal and work towards that.

If I'm right, actually, prairiecrow, I don't think it does... I put my word goal as 40k and I think it says that as long as you complete your goal you get the little certificate.

lol I may have to set my goal at 1 word then.

That'd be the shortest novel ever tongue.gif

Well, as much as I know I don't have the time I'll probably end up doing it anyway :/

*starts to brainstorm story ideas*

If I'm right, actually, prairiecrow, I don't think it does... I put my word goal as 40k and I think it says that as long as you complete your goal you get the little certificate.

Nope.

From the site FAQs:

The way to win NaNoWriMo is by writing 50,000 words by midnight on November 30.

and

To become a winner, first make sure that you have written a manuscript that is 50,000 words or longer. Then sign in to the site, click on Edit Profile, then scroll down to the area labeled Word Count Validator. Copy and paste your entire novel into this box. Then hit the "Submit" button, and prepare for your accolades.

There is no option to win with a lower word count that I know of (at least not in terms of word count verification and the certificate). If I'm wrong about that, could you point me at the site info which states otherwise? smile.gif

Edited by prairiecrow

True, true... there might be a limit, though. Dammit I can't remember it's been a whole 11 months since I was on that forum. I don't remember three years ago. .__.

Hm, I gotta figure out the entire story refineries for my story, too. Except I already have a story in the works. And the pompous little censorkip.gif*** of a main character will forever censorkip.gif* at me until I write the stupid story. >__>

prairecrow: Wow... wait, you aren't talking about the forums, are you?

Edited by Zovesta

I may do this. Just reading this topic has got plot ideas circling around in my head. However, November *is* college app time, and I really don't wanna have to deal with NaNo *and* college apps.

Aah... okay, that makes sense then. xd.png If I remember right, when you're on the forums and you set your goal, if you complete it you get some sort of little badge on your posts for the year. I don't know, though.

The Young Writer's Program lets you set your own word limit, the sign-up on the main page doesn't.

I am going to do it this year. I have talked myself out of it the last two years, and wasn't going to let myself get away with it any more. So I volunteered to host/lead a NaNo writer's group for teens at a local homeschooling group. We start meeting next week for people who want to plan the basics out before they start writing.

The Young Writer's Program lets you set your own word limit, the sign-up on the main page doesn't.

Oh, makes sense. I was on there last year, as I was 12. ._. Thanks for clearing it up!

Possibly. May attempt Subject Fourteen again xd.png

ETA: That, or maybe something with my androids.

... or hell, maybe Mass Effect fanfic xd.png

Edited by Dr. Paine

Huh. I remember a NaNo topic in Multimedia last year.

Anyway, I've never done it, though it's a freaking awesome idea and from what I've seen it executes amazingly too.

I debated doing it last year, but writing explosions I can not has, and I probably won't do it this year either.

Huh. I remember a NaNo topic in Multimedia last year.

Yeah, it died.

the place where I learned about the Dragon cave is Nanowrimo. biggrin.gif This is my first year doing it.

I've never done it and only heard about it maybe two years ago for the first time. Not going to take party this year, but I've been thinking about doing a bit of character/plot development for a story that has been going on in my mind for a while now, so that maybe, just maybe, I could take part next year.

Mmm, I've been kinda toying with the idea of participating...

Thing is, I'm a really, really slow writer. And the longest story I've written thus far was about 32,000 words. So yeah. Wondering whether the potential progress on my book would be worth the angst involved. *g*

But... I'm going to a writers' conference, and will be getting home the 2nd or 3rd of November. So who knows, maybe I'll be encouraged and full of inspiration and decide to give it a go. :3

Ahahaha! I was just thinking about making this topic last night! xd.png

I'm gonna try again this year, though I'll probably get nowhere again.

I've tried since 2007, but I always get side-tracked, though last year I found out Gramps has cancer right before, and that kinda killed any motivation to really do much...

I really need to just put together my playlist of music that inspires me to work on the story I want to write this time, and set about creating a detailed summary and an outline and to flesh out the characters more.

And I actually need an antagonist, I'm toying with the idea of a group behind everything...

So far the general idea I've been working with is just some basic imbalance, but I've never come up with a cause for it...

And I actually need an antagonist, I'm toying with the idea of a group behind everything...

Pffft... who needs antagonists? >_>