KaidaShade

Terry Pratchett

I am personally a huge fan of the Discworld series, though I haven't read his other books.

So which one is your favourite, why? Who's your favourite character? Best scenes?

Weird as it'll sound to anyone who hasn't read the books, Death is probably my favourite character, simply because he's pretty unusual and a lot more 'fleshed out' (though not literally eheh...) than you'd expect the Grim Reaper to be.

i love the disk world series

yeh im also a huge death fan i love him poping up everywhere =]

but did you know terry pratchett might not be able to wright eny more books =[

If you were new to reading the Terry Pratchett books, where would you start? A friend suggested Hogfather, and I couldn't get into it. So where should I try to start? I've heard such good things about his books!

The Discworld books are utterly, epically, awesome.

I started with thud, but that's just the first one I picked up.

If you were new to reading the Terry Pratchett books, where would you start? A friend suggested Hogfather, and I couldn't get into it. So where should I try to start? I've heard such good things about his books!

I always thought 'Guards Guards' was a good one to start with - the first I r4ead certainly. I've also heared Colour of Magic recommended as a starter.

My favourite characters are Sam Vimes and Ridcully.

I started with Reaper Man then after reading the rest of the Death triology, went onto the other books in random order.

They always manage to release a new discworld book near my birthday lol

The later books have better humour in them, but the early ones are still quite good.

Read any one that sounds interesting.

I personally started with... Hmm, I think it was Witches Abroad.

But really, you HAVE to try the Hogfather, that's my favorite one!

I think my favorite character would have to be Death too, he's just so plain awesome!

I still have Hogfather, maybe I'll try picking it up again to see if I enjoy it this time around haha

And it also looks like I'm going to be browsing through Amazon to find one that looks good biggrin.gif

With any luck I'll have a new author to love and collect and read

i read one of his books and i HATED it. maybe it was because of the translation but all i got from it was his extreme effort in trying to be funny and failing miserably. i found that so tiring after some pages. dry.gif

i read one of his books and i HATED it. maybe it was because of the translation but all i got from it was his extreme effort in trying to be funny and failing miserably. i found that so tiring after some pages. dry.gif

Er, Terry Pratchett is English, so unless you're from a non-English-speaking country there isn't a translation.

The comedy is very different, it's impossible to compare his style with anyone else's.

Really? A lot of the people i've given one of his books compare them to Douglas Adams. They are not the same of course, but I'd feel safe to say Terry Pratchett is for Fantasy what Adams is for Sience Fiction.

I adore Pratchetts books and i know a lot of other people who do too, but the thing that really fascinates me is that most of us have different reasons for loving those books, even just reading the translation. Reading the englisch orginals i sometimes wondered how anyone would be able to carry even half of it through a translation, but in my opinion whoever does the german translations does it well.

Edited by Laura-Lana

Er, Terry Pratchett is English, so unless you're from a non-English-speaking country there isn't a translation.

The comedy is very different, it's impossible to compare his style with anyone else's.

Yep, non-English-speaking country here! Maybe most of his jokes dont work when translated, i give him that.

The only Terry Pratchett book I ever read was 'The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents" Quite an awesome book.

I absolutely love Pratchett. I think I own at least 70% of all his books, and I will one day own them all. My favourites are probably Carpe Jugulum, Hogfather and Monstrous Regiment, but I have yet to read a single book I didn't like. Favourite character... ...Death, the witches and the Patrician.

I refuse to read the books in anything but English. I did try to read the Norwegian translations, but they just can't compare to the originals.

I love his Diskworld series happy.gif

I read them in my native tongue, German, because you hardly get the originals here, but the translation is very good. As far as i know, the German translations were so highly recommended that Pratchett himself stated he would like to learn German to read them.

My favourite characters are Carrot, Death and Susan, although Detritus is awesome, too. Oh, and Vetinari. How could I have forgotten Vetinari...

I started with Mort, the second was Guards! Guards!. As of now, I have read Mort, Guards! Guards!, Lords and Ladies, Soul Music, Sourcery, Small Gods, The fifth elephant, The Truth and Pyramids.

I absolutely love Pratchett. I think I own at least 70% of all his books, and I will one day own them all. My favourites are probably Carpe Jugulum, Hogfather and Monstrous Regiment, but I have yet to read a single book I didn't like. Favourite character... ...Death, the witches and the Patrician.

I refuse to read the books in anything but English. I did try to read the Norwegian translations, but they just can't compare to the originals.

GAWD!!!!

Are you kidding me you only own 70% of the books i have them all =]

there just awsome =D i wish wrighting a book was as simple as copying how to spell the word cheese =P cause then they would keep up with my obnoshious reading habits

i started with pyramids, and since then im an addict!

my favorite charecter is the one and only RinceWind!

he is so funny in "Eric"!

I love his Diskworld series happy.gif

I read them in my native tongue, German, because you hardly get the originals here, but the translation is very good. As far as i know, the German translations were so highly recommended that Pratchett himself stated he would like to learn German to read them.

My favourite characters are Carrot, Death and Susan, although Detritus is awesome, too. Oh, and Vetinari. How could I have forgotten Vetinari...

I started with Mort, the second was Guards! Guards!. As of now, I have read Mort, Guards! Guards!, Lords and Ladies, Soul Music, Sourcery, Small Gods, The fifth elephant, The Truth and Pyramids.

Lol. A kindred mind obviously. I do belive i've read them all by now though. And i prefered Mort to Susan. *shruggs*

I absolutely love Terry Pratchett! ^~^

While we were browsing through the bookstore one day, my dad pointed out Color of Magic to me, and I just didn't want to read it. The next time we were there, I picked it up and read the first few pages. I was instantly hooked. x3

My favorite book has to be Soul Music. It has the grim reaper on a motorcycle, musicians, and Music With Rocks In! 8D

God Terry Pratchett is my all time favorite author. I love Granny Weatherwax, Death, and Sam Vimes. Such awesome characters. I don't really have a favorite book though because I love every single book of his. But the sad thing is that Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer now so he may not be able to write any more books sad.gif

I've only just started, but I love them to bits.

My friends used to read them aloud... many times before she knew the implications of some of what she was reading. xd.png

But anyway. I think they're absolutely brilliant.

I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove them! They're just so clever and witty and imaginative- I try my best to write like Pratchett. My favourite characters are Lord Vetinari, Commander Vimes, Jonathan Teatime and Susan.

I accidentally borrowed like the tenth book of the series and read the first chapter of it! XD

I plan on starting on it 'cause it sounded awesome already. Hey, can someone PM me the plot or tell me about it please? No spoilers!

I've never read anything by Pratchett and I keep meaning to, because I always hear how funny he is. The books of his that I've glanced at at the library look pretty good. What order do his books go in?