edwardelricfreak

Steven Universe!

Steven Universe is an animated show by Rebecca Sugar, former storyboard artist, writer, and composer for Adventure Time.

Wikipedia article: here

The pilot for the show aired July 27th, 2013, and showed some beta designs for the characters in the show. One of the characters, Pearl, received the most drastic change of the bunch. The actual series premiered November 4th, 2013, with new episodes coming out on Mondays, 8/7C (8:00 PM Eastern Time and 7:00 PM Central Time).

Pilot Episode: here

The show features a group called the "Crystal Gems", a group of intergalactic (predominantly) female warriors with gems embedded into their bodies that are used to summon magical weapons for fighting evil. The show takes place in a town by the sea called "Beach City".

Theme song:

Episode List: here

Official Cartoon Network episode list: here (descending order, most recent episode listed first)

The Characters!

Main Characters:

Steven Universe: The main protagonist, Steven is the youngest (and only male, so far) member the Crystal Gems. He is half-Crystal Gem and half-human, as his mother was the Gem known as Rose Quartz, but his father was a regular human. He has a rose quartz passed down from his mother embedded in his belly button. Though he cannot control his powers, the gem summons a magical shield.

Garnet: The unofficial leader of the Gems, Garnet is rather quiet and calm, though very physically strong. She sticks up for Steven often. She has two garnets in the palms of her hands used for summoning large gauntlets.

Amethyst: The "wild-child" of the Gems, Amethyst is rather easygoing and carefree, and is shown to eat and sleep often. She enjoys cracking jokes and playing around with Steven. She has an amethyst embedded in her chest which is used to summon a whip.

Pearl: The perfectionist and strategist, Pearl is rather intelligent and graceful. She is very protective of Steven, caring deeply for his well-being and safety. She strives for structure and logic and gets easily flustered when things don’t go as planned (lol copypaste from Wikipedia). She has a pearl on her forehead used for summoning a sword.

Other Characters:

Greg Universe: Steven's father, Greg is an easy-going guy who tries to stay out of the "magic stuff". He was formerly a one-man band. He lives in his van and runs a car wash in Beach City.

Unnamed Magical Lion: Steven's absolutely adorable magical pink lion that he met in a desert. It seems to be very protective of Steven and may have some relation to his mother, though the other gems don't appear to recognize it at all.

Rose Quartz: Steven's mother and former leader of the Crystal Gems, she gave up her physical form to give birth to Steven. Little is known about her.

Opal: a Crystal Gem that is a fusion of Amethyst and Pearl

Connie: Steven's friend and crush, Connie travels around with her dad who is a private security guard for many different beaches.

Lars: A teenage worker at "The Big Donut" shop; he often picks on Steven for being a Crystal Gem member.

Sadie: A clerk at "The Big Donut", who shares the same shift as Lars. Unlike Lars, she is generally friendly towards Steven and supportive of his adventures.

Richard Fryman: The owner of Beach Citywalk Fries and father of Peedee. He often gives Steven fry bits upon Steven's request.

Peedee Fryman: One of Steven's friends. He works for his dad at Beach Citywalk Fries.

Ronaldo Peedee's older brother

Onion: One of Steven's friends. He is presumably the son of a sailor or even captain, as he lives near the harbor and has access to the boats. He doesn't speak (at least not yet).

Mayor Bill Dewey: The mayor of Beach City.

Jamie: The postman of Beach City.

Mr. Smiley: Owns the arcade.

Discuss!

Edited by edwardelricfreak

I watched all the eps to see if it would grow on me (a lot of my favorite shows I thought the first few eps were boring and almost quit watching them), but so far... eh.

Like, I like it I guess kinda, but I'm also kinda frustrated that a show came out with many kickbutt women characters...and the main character is STILL a boy and the show focuses more on him and the (mostly) guys he's hanging out on rather than the women warriors. I feel I would be much more interested in the story if it was from the POV of one of the other crystals.

I'm also not in love with the drawing style, and that helps me get into a show a lot.

There's also just something about the overall pacing that throws me off. I can't figure out what it is, though.

I hope to see the voice actor for Garnet do some more voice acting. Seems she does a lot more in the music department, so I've been meaning to look some of those up. I love her voice on the show. x3

Really? I love it. I like the fact that the characters like Steven and his dad aren't idiots like some shows. Also a majority of the main characters are female so I kind of excuse that.

I LOVE the animation style. I like it better than Adventure Time, even, or Regular Show.

I also really like the music.

I hope it gets more in depth with the episodes.~

tbh i've heard really good things about it but i keep forgetting to start it ;u; im kind of doubting if the humor will appeal to me but the crystal gems all look awesome

I think it's precious. :3 Not something I'd ever get real excited for or fall in love with but I still think it's just an adorable, sweet show.

Bumpin' this since Steven Universe has had quite a few more episodes.

I've found my favorite character now to be Steven's lion. It's absolutely adorable. And it's pink. I feel like it might be somehow related to Steven's mother, but as the other Gems don't seem to recognize it, that might not be the case. I plan on drawing it because it's cute.

Also Opal. Opal is amazing.

/Love/ it. I... really don't know what else to say, aside from it's just very well done, the art and music are gorgeous (Opal's theme <3), love the voice acting... it's just great and I intend to follow it for as long as it's on the air xd.png (Plus, it's just really sweet to see, given that the main inspiration for the show/title character were Rebecca Sugar's memories of her own brother smile.gif Steven and the gems really remind me of my own brothers and all, so yeah xd.png)

This show keeps getting better and better!

"Steven the Sword Fighter" had some amazing references in it. There are four figurines in it that reference different videogames, but I'm unsure of what one of them is. The first is Pikachu from Pokemon, the third looks like Sonic the Hedgehog, and the fourth is without a doubt Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7, but I don't know what the second figurine was. My boyfriend said it looked like something from Megaman, but I'm not sure.

oh man, that episode...

This show was already, from the beginning, one of my top favorites (I consider it one of my "big three" of ongoing shows, the other two being Adventure Time and Gravity Falls). There have already been numerous super amazing and mind-blowing episodes. This newest one, though, this is that special one. Not necessarily my favorite, but... I dunno, one of those things that not only rips my heart out, but also just somehow engages me on a whole new level that I didn't feel before.

I'm on episode 5 (just started yesterday) and I love it! :3

I am totally in love with this.

Pretty much everything. The show caught my heart. When the first commercials came out, I was all bored and meh about it. But when it came out, I was in love. Now, here is the thing: this got approval from my SISTER, who hasn't approved of new cartoons since she was 5 or 6. That is an achievement get.

I sadly haven't watched any of it in a while. I feel so unlotal :,0

I chose a very bad time to become obsessed with the series.

Monday's episode emotionally murdered me.

EDIT: I got killed again...LAPIS WHY

Edited by Myra the Sark

OHHHHHHH MY Y HGOOOODD THE NEW EPISODE WAS AMAZINGG YEAAAAAH YEAAAAAAAAHHHAHAHAHAA I CANT BELIEVE GARNET IS MADE OF LESBIANS IM SO HAPPY AHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAAA

Edited by Switch

Soooo.... extraterrestrial lesbian space rocks.

I can dig it.

my friend laney had me watch some episodes and i'm hooked, but i can't watch the whole series until it's on netflix since the websites all don't work on mobile </3 it sucks butt tbh

also oh my god CANON NONBINARY CHARACTERS this is SO feckin cool yo

I am so glad I started watching this show as soon as it came out oh my god ;u; It's just

body types all over the place

canon nonbinary-ness (and also leaning more to feminine instead of masculine like usually happens)

gemstones

cute art and amazing writing and VAs and it gets SO DARK and gray and yet never loses the optimism

garnet is made of happy lovey gay space rocks and I might be listening to the song on repeat. a lot. I don't know if I ever want it out of my head.

Steven Universe is a gift and I'm not sure if we as a species are worthy of it but we have it anyway biggrin.gif

the steven universe crew confirmed ruby and sapphire are in a romantic relationship IM SO HECKIN HAPPY NOW PEOPLE CAN'T TRY TO SAY "THEY ARE JUST VERY GOOD FRIENDS" LIKE THEY DID WITH KORRASAMI YESSSSSSSS

Garnet has always been my favourite character, but Ruby and Sapphire just made her so much more magnificent. I love that Song.

also I want to know why Jasper called Garnet a shameless display, was it just because Jasper looks down on Fusing or something else.

I've been laughing my head off at all those people trying so hard to explain away Ruby and Sapphire, even through its been confirmed.

they are getting so desperate, its hysterical.

examples: Ruby's male, It was a sisterly kiss, they are just good friends, female friends kiss it's normal, and so on.

it probably because of jasper's view on fusing, yeah. im more curious about the "overcooked runt" and pearl comments.

Um...Hello! Fellow Steven Universe fan! Um, anyway....

Yeah, the stuff about Ruby and Shappire is.... instresing.... -u-

But, you have to remember, gems don't really have genders, so the kiss could be from love love, or sister love. I wouldn't matter, because gems don't have a gender, do they? They do say things like "She", or "He", or stuff like that, but in the wiki, I'm pretty sure it said they don't have genders. So, the kiss, again, no matter if it was from true love, or sister love, wouldn't matter. The relationship they have so cute and wounderful though. smile.gif

Um...Hello! Fellow Steven Universe fan! Um, anyway....

Yeah, the stuff about Ruby and Shappire is.... instresing.... -u-

But, you have to remember, gems don't really have genders, so the kiss could be from love love, or sister love. I wouldn't matter, because gems don't have a gender, do they? They do say things like "She", or "He", or stuff like that, but in the wiki, I'm pretty sure it said they don't have genders. So, the kiss, again, no matter if it was from true love, or sister love, wouldn't matter. The relationship they have so cute and wounderful though. smile.gif

Actually it was confirmed by a crew member that they are romantically involved biggrin.gif

(and while granted, the Gems do not have sex/gender the way humans would understand it, it's still worth mentioning Sugar herself stated Steven is the first and only male Gem, the rest... my take would be agender to demigirl probably, but stick with 'female' for the sake of Earthlings. Tbh the genderless bit is probably the only way the crew got away with Ruby and Sapphire.... ..... though I'm still wondering how in Rose's name they got away with that friggin' Jasper and Lapis fusion)

ETA: Also has anyone seen the adorable little art of Ruby and Sapphire Rebecca Sugar did? biggrin.gif

Edited by Dr. Paine