TJ09

2011-01-18 - Blackout

As an online game, Dragon Cave is pretty removed from everything and anything political; there's hardly any sort of platform or agenda implied by an adoptables site. Perhaps more importantly, everything on Dragon Cave is representative of myself (and to a lesser extent, the forum/chat staff), and I typically don't feel it's my place to force any sort of views on people.

However, in the case of SOPA/PIPA (the Stop Online Piracy Act and the PROTECT IP Act, respectively), it's difficult to stay silent. The matching bills allow anyone to accuse a web site of copyright infringement and have it taken down or otherwise crippled (by forcing advertising/payment services to cease all dealings with the site). I won't go too far into the bills; if you want more, check out http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa.

So, for the first time in DC history, I have broken DC's political agnosticism. To raise awareness, DC's skin (for all users) has been replaced with one that I have affectionately dubbed, "Blackout." On the home page, there's a message encouraging users to oppose SOPA and PIPA. After today, everything will go back to normal.

Deciding to use DC to spread a political message was not easy, and I can only hope that I'll never have to make such a decision again.

You have my complete support. Thank you so much for taking this stand.

Free speech forever.

Wow, good on you, TJ. This SOPA business is seriously bad news. Does anybody know if I can do anything as somebody who's not American? 'cause this affects everybody.

Edit: For anybody who's wondering the same thing, here's the answer I got so you don't have to do much searching around:

I'm quoting here from the info page posted on Wikipedia, which is also participating in the blackout:

What can users outside of the U.S. do to support this effort?

Users outside of the U.S. can contact their local State Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or similar branch of government. Tell them that you oppose the draft US SOPA and PIPA legislation, and all similar legislation. SOPA and PIPA will have a global effect - websites outside of the U.S. would be impacted by legislation that hurts the free and open web. And, other jurisdictions are grappling with similar issues, and may choose paths similar to SOPA and PIPA.

Thanks, Aliantha!

Also, MindsEye and Stephbexx (and maybe some others I didn't see) have linked this: Avaaz: Save the Internet Petiton, which is open to individuals worldwide.

Edited by songwithnosoul

I guess I can understand not wanting to mix politics into a pixel game, but it does affect DC so spreading awareness is understandable.

This is awesome. It does a good job of spreading awareness without just shutting down the site with no warning or something. smile.gif

Totally groovy idea TJ, thanks for making the right decision, even if it was hard. I think this is something that affects everyone, and it's good that DC can spread the important message. These bills need to just... go away.

This will be a good skin when it's completed.

The matching bills allow anyone to accuse a web site of copyright infringement and have it taken down or otherwise crippled (by forcing advertising/payment services to cease all dealings with the site).

And instituting a permanent state of McCarthyism on ALL THE INTERWEBS.

Glad the site's not entirely shut down though. I approve. :3

I understand the problems in your decision and I totally support the outcome.

It's important to raise awareness about this and for me personally it is shocking that something like this is not more in international news.

I only heard about it like two days ago and only, because the shutdown of wikipedia has been in the German News online (I've so far not seen anything in Japanese news here).

Also it is sad that I am unable to sign the Agenda.

True, I am not US-citizen and not directly affected by it. But I think that US-politicians should also see what the world is thinking about such communistic laws in a democratic country.

So... yeah. My support for this

However, in the case of SOPA/PIPA (the Stop Online Piracy Act and the PROTECT IP Act, respectively), it's difficult to stay silent. The matching bills allow anyone to accuse a web site of copyright infringement and have it taken down or otherwise crippled (by forcing advertising/payment services to cease all dealings with the site). I won't go too far into the bills; if you want more, check out http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa.

Posted this part on my FB page.