Obscure_Trash

Add Search Filter to Breeding Page

I wanted to suggest this a while ago, but every time fertility comes up, we get complaints of "Mr Flappy". However, I started a specific survey to see about fixing issues with fertility. I was unable to find many people at all who had an issue. And, in any case, the topic is there now so TJ can look at it any time if there is an issue on DC's side.

So!

I would really love it if we could get a search filter, such as fertility uses, during breeding. Breeding to new mates is always annoying now. I have 6000 dragons (not many unbreedables and fairly even male to female ratio) and finally resorted to a breed sort so I could more easily find things on the breed page. Even so, scrolling down to the correct dragon can be a bit time consuming. And for breeds I don't have a lot of, they're quite easy to skip over a few times when I'm scrolling fast to get into the right area.

Rejected dragons would still sort at the bottom and previous mates still at the top when not sorted/filtered and perhaps when the search filter is done by breed (hopefully this is possible with the search filter). I would just hope to gain the ability to be able to search though and filter the dragons, so if I want to breed my new release with a red dragon or something, I can do so more easily and more quickly.

~

Same suggestion but for scroll page for those interested.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Support. With a couple of thousand dragons (hardly any unbreedables, very few non-standard dragons, roughly even male to female ratio), things get quite annoying. And ditto on the thing about scrolling over small groups of dragons. Been there, done that.

With fertility and any similar type of filter PLEASE can we have javascript free versions.

As one of the "not many", fertility is enough to drive me to drink, and if that happened for breeding I might just give up - I am a lineage builder, and the very idea of going through that every time I breed makes my blood run cold.

Even if it weren't an "issue" for anyone but me, there are a LOT of players here who routinely disable javascript.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I support the idea. But if we do this I think it should be a choice in account settings which is used. No matter how few, if there are some people who can't use it there needs to be both options available for such an integral part of the game.

The other issue is that the ability to search breeds is tied to what you have unlocked in the encyclopedia. It's fine for new users, since if they have a dragon they pretty much can search it. Having the fertility style search tied to breeding will somewhat force older players that don't care about the encyclopedia to go around making sure they unlock all the dragons they already owned when it came out. It took me a rather lot of work to unlock all the breeds I already owned when I came back. (it was also why I was raging at the fertility filter for being BROKEN when I first came back. Luckily I decided to get a bit obsessive about my encyclopedia, or I would still be pissed off at fertility)

I support the idea. But if we do this I think it should be a choice in account settings which is used. No matter how few, if there are some people who can't use it there needs to be both options available for such an integral part of the game.

The other issue is that the ability to search breeds is tied to what you have unlocked in the encyclopedia. It's fine for new users, since if they have a dragon they pretty much can search it. Having the fertility style search tied to breeding will somewhat force older players that don't care about the encyclopedia to go around making sure they unlock all the dragons they already owned when it came out. It took me a rather lot of work to unlock all the breeds I already owned when I came back. (it was also why I was raging at the fertility filter for being BROKEN when I first came back. Luckily I decided to get a bit obsessive about my encyclopedia, or I would still be pissed off at fertility)

Please tell me more about that fertility being tied to the encyclopaedia. I haven't unlocked anything like everything - it is far from important to me, and I only do a few when I am excessively bored ! - and if that is why I have issues with Mr Flappy, that will annoy me more than a little....

Throwing in my support for this smile.gif

I support the idea.  But if we do this I think it should be a choice in account settings which is used.  No matter how few, if there are some people who can't use it there needs to be both options available for such an integral part of the game.

Agreed - not being able to use fertility is annoying at most, but not game-breaking. Not being able to breed is game-breaking. So even if it's just a handful of users who have problems with that filter, there needs to be a way to breed without it.

Thanks for the information about the encyclopedia thing, I wasn't aware of that blink.gif

Even if it weren't an "issue" for anyone but me, there are a LOT of players here who routinely disable javascript.

Tbqh, I don't think that's DC's problem.

And again, I would prefer to fix any issue there is with fertility's filter/search if at all possible.

I realise that it isn't DC's problem if we choose not to use it - but if some pages are unusable that can be MADE usable by turning it off, that can make a huge difference to play. When I am on slow capped internet, JS off is the ONLY way I can hunt - and I wouldn't even TRY to use fertility when I'm over there. Nor can I sort over there, as with JS off, alt custom sort doesn't work at all. That's not a huge issue, no, but is just an example of how dodgy internet can make parts of the game impossible for some people.

If breed were to go that way - literally half the year I would have to NOT breed, and even the other half of the year it would take so long I might just get fed up.

As Ha-Ki says:

Not being able to breed is game-breaking. So even if it's just a handful of users who have problems with that filter, there needs to be a way to breed without it.

Until such time as fertility WILL work as intended for everyone, or TJ can manage a JS free version, to make breeding work that way will knock out some players almost entirely.

Oh man I would love this if it happened! My scroll is fairly small right now, but I can see a day when scrolling through all my dragons will make breeding highly frustrating.

However. I think this should absolutely be one of the things you can opt into/out of on this site. If even one person trying to breed eith this proposed system can't do it, then they should have the ability to breed with the current setup. And i'm sure lots of people prefer this setup, it certainly has worked so far, and they should be allowed to keep using it if they wish.

Please tell me more about that fertility being tied to the encyclopaedia.

You cannot filter for a specific breed if you didn't observe/own enough adult dragons of that breed (the same number that unlocks the breed link on the dragon's page, I think), as in, entering the breed name in the input field just won't find anything. That's all.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Well, there is the issue about JS.

As I mentioned in another thread, I don't like what JS does to the site.

Example: Abandoning an egg.

With JS turned off: Click "abandon". (Thanks to auto-fill, my password is filled in already.) Click on the abandon button to verify you really want to abandon that egg. Done.

With JS turned on:Click on abandon. Click on the password entry field. (Or, if you have auto-fill disabled, enter your password.) Of course, I often forget this step and click directly on the abandon button. I get told that I forgot to enter my password, so I hit the back button on my browser window, click on the password entry field, and then finally reach the next step. Click on the abandon button to verify you really want to abandon that egg. Now there's a pop-up asking you to verify again that you really, really want to abandon that egg. Finally done!

So we need a different method, I'm afraid. Something without JS. I think there's a suggestion somewhere about showing only one representative of each sprite in the breeding list that leads you to a page with only dragons with that sprite to look through... That one might be the better choice, after all.

You cannot filter for a specific breed if you didn't observe/own enough adult dragons of that breed (the same number that unlocks the breed link on the dragon's page, I think), as in, entering the breed name in the input field just won't find anything. That's all.

Oh. So setting up the same kind of filter for breeding would be useless to anyone who doesn't care that much about the encyclopaedia. In that case, I don't much care if this happens or not, as it won't work for me, and fertility will presumably always be a problem for me. sad.gif

Does this forum filter out "bummer" laugh.gif ?

@olympe: (You actually click? I just hit the enter twice after password entry.)

That's not "what JS does to the site" though, that's simply how TJ decided to add this security thing. He might as well implement another *page* for that extra confirmation instead, without any JS involved. Boy, would people complain about *that*!

What JS actually does is allowing stuff to happen on the user's side (aka browser) without the server being directly involved. It does the checking if you entered a password (not if it's correct - that's server-side) and it does that little confirmation popup, for BSAs. It also usually allows you to play those holiday games, like putting little easter eggs in random places. And for Fertility, it allows you to filter that giant list of dragons you may or may not have without putting any strain on the server while you're still deciding which dragon to fertilize.

@fuzzbucket: Why useless? You can still filter for names and codes. Works great with naming conventions many people seem to have acquired, like giving 2nd gens a different prefix/suffix than caveborns or third gens, or different family names for different breeding projects.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

@fuzzbucket: Why useless? You can still filter for names and codes. Works great with naming conventions many people seem to have acquired, like giving 2nd gens a different prefix/suffix than caveborns or third gens, or different family names for different breeding projects.

I can (and do) do that on the current page with ctrl+f so it makes exactly NO difference to have a filter.

I can (and do) do that on the current page with ctrl+f so it makes exactly NO difference to have a filter.

It does make a difference if you're lazy like me and don't have your dragons in order. Filtering puts all the dragons that match your search together, so you can compare and check which one is next. Without the filter, they're spread all over the endlessly long page.

But I agree, if you're that perfect dragon keeper who's always having all dragons exactly where they need to be, you need no filter.

?

I have no idea where they are when I go to breed. But I do know who I want to breed, so just saying F + (say) Valentine of Tara will get the one I want. That is also the best way I know to avoid hitting the one I didn't mean to... Calling up all reds is just asking for me to hit the one NEXT to him...

@olympe: (You actually click? I just hit the enter twice after password entry.)

That's not "what JS does to the site" though, that's simply how TJ decided to add this security thing. He might as well implement another *page* for that extra confirmation instead, without any JS involved. Boy, would people complain about *that*!

What JS actually does is allowing stuff to happen on the user's side (aka browser) without the server being directly involved. It does the checking if you entered a password (not if it's correct - that's server-side) and it does that little confirmation popup, for BSAs. It also usually allows you to play those holiday games, like putting little easter eggs in random places. And for Fertility, it allows you to filter that giant list of dragons you may or may not have without putting any strain on the server while you're still deciding which dragon to fertilize.

Clicking twice doesn't actually work for me. Trust me, I've tried. I always get the fail message and need to go back to the respective action page (abandon, in this case). Which is why I refuse to use JS outside of holiday events (ToT, Easter egg hunt, other games).

Posted this in the other thread first, lets try and get it into the right one! xd.png

How about this:

When you currently click "Breed", and you see:

Breed

Select the dragon you wish to have Xenoignis Qin breed with.

Then right under it, you'd get a link to:

Switch to Filterable format

Under that is the header:

Past Mates

(and it lists all dragons previously paired to)

(this would have refused mates grayed out under it)

Then:

Click to Load all other Possible Mates

This way, if the mate is already a past mate (which most breedings are), it loads faster with no extra clicks. And if the Filter doesn't work for you, you don't have to go there. And if you want a new mate, just click the link to load all past mates. This would greatly help those with huge scrolls. I know for me, the breed page can sometimes be sluggish to load which is very frustrating when the mate I want is at the top.

Frankly, having to do one extra click in order to have non-mates hidden (then brought back) or to go to a filterable window (so I don't have hunt) would be..... fantastic.

Cheers!

C4.

Clicking twice doesn't actually work for me.

I didn't say "click" twice, I said "hit enter" twice. Never had an issue with that.

@cyradis: I like your idea smile.gif

Fertility works perfectly for me, loads fast and don't offer me any kind of problem so I full support the OP suggestion. I was thinking this week how it would be easier to find mates if we had a search in breed exactly like fertility have.

100% support!

Support. I usually can ust ctrl+f if I know the dragon's name, but more than not I only know the breed. Having this function would be amazing.

Support, I already Use the Find Option on my browser (Control-F) so it's not something that is life or death, but I think it would be great to be able to make that list much smaller. And if someone still wants to scroll thru the entire list, at least that list is made with smaller pixels and size so its faster to do.

I'm not really sure how anyone loses so yay for ideas!

Oh my lord yes please. Fertility search works super well for me and I'd love to have the same search system for breeding.

I would love this! I always search by code when using fertility. Being able to do the same when breeding would make a world of difference. Of course, once a pair is established a search feature would be moot unless I choose to change mates around.