Moonlight_Eevee

How Long Should New Eggs Drop

Okay, due to this recent release, these eggs were dropping fairly common for a while, but after ten hours, the much more common eggs started to drop in causing both the bluminae and crystal eggs go through the roof in demand, causing people to crowd the volcano biome to sit there and grab the new crystal eggs in what seems to be mass hysteria.

Now, what does that leave with the newcomers late to the party? Nothing. Zip. Nada. That caused a massive view bombing hysteria and a lot of people woke back up to see that their eggs had been view bombed and now trying to grab the eggs they need to make up for their lost eggs, causing the crystal eggs to go up even higher in demand.

So, my question is: how long should new eggs drop before common dragons come back in?

This release seems weird though. I can't remember any of the other releases I've been here for acting quite like this, but I'm not consistently here. I've seen plenty of the non crystal new release, but I think the drop rate has lowered already. They seem like they'll be commons or uncommon though. I think people must just think the crystal one is pretty, and because it's dropping in just one biome there's an issue. I suspect if it were ugly or in multiple biomes it would be fine. I missed the actual release, and both breeds seemed like they were dropping very frequently up to five days after, which sounds like plenty of time to catch one. I haven't caught any though, I've been hunting for rares. Which brings me to my point: I think this release is a little fluky, and I would have had no trouble getting the other new dragon. The current amount of time seems fine, but I really don't care that much if I have to wait a few weeks to get a new dragon. People will calm down soon and everyone who didn't before will have time to grab these eggs later on. Unless this egg is supposed to be rare, in which case it would be too little time to catch the release, I'm good with this amount of drop time.

Depends. If I understand correctly, everything depends on ratios. So, new eggs will be dropping according to the pre-established ratios. Once they reach the ratio-derived target, other eggs will be dropping. Long story short, only TJ can answer because he is the only one that knows the internal mechanisms.

The first post is unclear, so I'm guessing this is meant to be a discussion on how long each user, personally, would like to see new releases flood for, internal mechanics notwithstanding?

The thing is, while I would ideally like to see them drop in abundance for 48 hours with no mix in, we have all seen the case of coppers where even the few hours of initial drop caused their ratio to be so skewed that green coppers were trading equal to cb gold for months. We don't know if these eggs are uncommon, in which case, the longer they drop initially, the more time they will take to return to normal cave drops.

So what I would like at least is for no other eggs to mix into the new release stream for first 48 hours. That doesn't change the drop rate but makes hunting at least little bit less painful. Imagine not being able to get what you want AND MISCLICKING on an egg you don't want, 5 hours wait during such times can be make or break situation.

Also, currently the problem happening in volcano biome is that crystals aren't showing up because the 5 min shuffles put common eggs on top that aren't getting picked, which means they are becoming rarer than they actually are. Something should be done about the shuffles for first few days of release, because honestly, no one wants to pick that pygmy or fog egg when a release is happening. They are just going to get killed or thrown away.

I remember the midwinter madness release, when we got a batch of new very common dragons and they ended up clogging the cave for months afterwards. That was because they were trying to balance to the total number of dragons that already existed in the cave. After that, TJ announced a change to the rarity mechanics so that new breeds would only have to balance to the past year's worth of dragons.

I suspect that TJ isn't going about setting a specific timeframe for new drops, but setting a rarity level and letting the cave balance itself. The cave would drop new eggs exclusively at the beginning to make up the deficit, then begin mixing in other breeds as the deficit shrank and the ratios became balanced.

If the new dragons are rare, they aren't going to be dropping long before the cave is balanced. They're rare; there shouldn't be tons of them dropping for days or you'll end up with a surplus and they won't drop again for quite some time. That's not something any of us enjoy. I remember when the rarity of the metallics was being rebalanced, too, and just not ever seeing any of them anywhere.

I totally understand the issues people have with new releases occurring at random and missing out on certain eggs, but I know that having mandatory solid drops for extended periods of time will cause more problems than it will solve as the cave has to balance itself. I'd much rather go back to having a release schedule. It would solve the problem of people "missing out" without causing problems with the post-release drop rates.

I don't know; I'm of two minds with this. A longer drop would be awesome, of course. I'd love to grab my six, hatch them, then come back for a second round and basically wrap up my Fire Gem collection right then and there, frozen hatchies notwithstanding. That would definitely be one less thing to worry about, with all the other responsibilities I have in my life and my current scroll goal list getting longer and longer as time goes on.

But at the same time I remember what happened when TJ artificially extended the flood time for a common-egg release. Or at least, they're common now. After the release ended they disappeared from the cave for a while, leading many to wonder if this was going to be the first rare Pygmy/Drake/2-Headed release. Now they're common again, but my point is that if that happened to *common* eggs, I don't want to think how long an artificial release would screw up the ratios for uncommon or higher releases.

The other alternative is to turn the ratio system off for releases and only turn it on again, as if the release eggs don't count, after two or three days. That, of course, would be entirely up to TJ and what he wants to do with the releases. I do agree that I hope something gets changed; the sheer frustration for people who came a little late to the party for whatever reason is never a fun feeling.

Edited by silver_chan

I remember the midwinter madness release, when we got a batch of new very common dragons and they ended up clogging the cave for months afterwards. That was because they were trying to balance to the total number of dragons that already existed in the cave. After that, TJ announced a change to the rarity mechanics so that new breeds would only have to balance to the past year's worth of dragons.

I suspect that TJ isn't going about setting a specific timeframe for new drops, but setting a rarity level and letting the cave balance itself. The cave would drop new eggs exclusively at the beginning to make up the deficit, then begin mixing in other breeds as the deficit shrank and the ratios became balanced.

If the new dragons are rare, they aren't going to be dropping long before the cave is balanced. They're rare; there shouldn't be tons of them dropping for days or you'll end up with a surplus and they won't drop again for quite some time. That's not something any of us enjoy. I remember when the rarity of the metallics was being rebalanced, too, and just not ever seeing any of them anywhere.

I totally understand the issues people have with new releases occurring at random and missing out on certain eggs, but I know that having mandatory solid drops for extended periods of time will cause more problems than it will solve as the cave has to balance itself. I'd much rather go back to having a release schedule. It would solve the problem of people "missing out" without causing problems with the post-release drop rates.

I remember that release. It was the release where we got Nocturnes and...Electrics, and I think one other breed. There was virtually nothing but those breeds for I think two weeks until he changed it manually.

Since the change that resulted from that particular issue, the longer a dragon floods, the more scarce it will become after the flood stops. I do not think that making eggs flood for longer will be a good idea at all.

I like the idea of going back to a release schedule...and not. TJ has a life and maybe the "only on the weekends" is the best he can do, just in case something comes up and he has no time to pick a release on a said day. So, I'm glad that the current releases are only on weekends- people should just check weekends if they like (this coming from someone who forgot to check for the first time in forever and actually missed the entire first day to day and a half).

I also think 48hrs of solid new releases dropping is WAY too much. Considering Halloweens don't even drop for 48hrs, or Valentines, right? If anything, perhaps 12-16 hours of strictly new release, followed by a heavier period of them with a few commons, and then slowly adjusting commons-new release as their original rarity with the past yrs worth of dragons should be.

*however if this was the case, if in the time period of 12-16hrs enough or more than enough were caught to overpower proper ratios, this would lead to few to none being dropped in with commons immediately after the 16hr period, which might be what happened with this release, except instead of an actual time period it just used a number- say, 5,000. Whether it took 48hrs or 8 hours for that 5k to go, it would adjust.(if that all makes sense, I hope!)

We also do have to take into account what tiktokism said about having a surplus all right in the beginning- then breeding very poorly and not dropping at all for a long period of time as ratios adjust.

Personally, I would much rather see fewer like we currently are, and have nice ratios, than BOOM enough for everyone to have as many as they want, and never see any more CB's for months- not even from the people who are great at catching and continuously have cb golds and silvers up for trade.

tldr; i like the way tj has it set up now, to blend better with ratios. if i had to pick, i would not be picking a 'time frame' but more a certain # of cb eggs to grab based on their rarity, then commons mixing in

Edited by Nightwalkerkey

For a release like this? Where there are essentially 3 different dragons dropping in only one biome, they should drop for 72 hours exclusively before other eggs are mixed in. There are THREE new dragons dropping in one biome and every player trying to get them. It's not pretty.

The problem with floods is that unless TJ makes them not count for the ratios, it plays havok with them. Personally, I think the crystal eggs are uncommon/rare, and combined with demand, makes them hard to catch. If you MADE them flood for a set length of time WITHOUT altering their ratios, we might go MONTHS without finding CBs, similar to what coppers did. It can be frustrating, yes, but not all releases are going to be common eggs.

Edited by Nectaris

Where there are essentially 3 different dragons dropping in only one biome

There used to only BE one biome to catch anything in. The situation now is a cakewalk compared to the old days. Many suggestions here would effectively break the cave.

I also think many users in this thread do not understand how the ratio mechanism works. If a release is set to artificially flood the system with eggs that do not count towards the ratios, then enable "counting" things after a set period of time, this extends the length of the drop for no good reason. The cave would still have to generate enough eggs to fill the same deficit, except now almost nobody would NEED the eggs anymore. If these are common eggs, this will take for-freaking-ever and everyone may grow to hate the new breed/s. I certainly was not happy with the situation when Nocturne/Electric/Canopy were my only options for weeks.

New eggs dropping until they are balanced means they will continue to appear in the cave *in the proportions that they are meant to* for users to pick up during normal play, and that the system achieves stasis as soon as is possible. If a new breed is uncommon or rare, that means you might have to work at it for a while if you didn't jump on the new release fast enough. I understand the frustration of that - I still don't have all the Fire Gems I need - but it's not like I missed a holiday and will never be able to get CB Fire Gems. It just means I have to put some more focus into playing this game than I usually do at this point.

I don't care about "ratios", I think it is completely reasonable to expect at *least* 12 hours of mass-dropping. It *used* to be that we had 24+ hours of mass-dropping. Yes, some people complained about that, but that would be a lot better then where we are now, with no one being able to even *find* the new breeds, let alone actually grab them.

I acknowledge the complaints about too-long releases, though, so I would be perfectly happy with a 12-hour mass flood.

Since the change that resulted from that particular issue, the longer a dragon floods, the more scarce it will become after the flood stops. I do not think that making eggs flood for longer will be a good idea at all.

I'm with Odeen. And actually I was still managing to catch both for more than 12 hours afterwards. I think the way it is now is the way that means it WILL settle down in - not a huge length of time

I remember how horrid it was the minute after people realised that gemshards had three colours, which only show when they HATCH...