Hawaiianbabidoll

Hunger Games

Personally, I enjoyed Hunger Games and its sequel Catching Fire. I'm eagerly awaiting the final book of the trilogy, Mockingjay, to come out in August.

If you don't know what it is, read.

The Hunger Games (2008) is a young-adult science fiction novel written by Suzanne Collins. The Hunger Games takes place in an unidentified future time period after the destruction of North America, in a nation known as Panem. Panem consists of a rich Capitol and twelve surrounding, poorer districts. As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol, every year one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 from each district are selected at random and forced to participate in The Hunger Games, a televised event where the participants, or "tributes", must fight to the death in a dangerous outdoor arena until only one remains.

I think it is a good read and highly suggest it for those of you looking for a new book to read. What are your opinions?

Oh, yes, that was a brilliant couple of books. I first got the recomendation off this site, and they didn't dissapoint.

I hear they're being made into a movie. I think they might be good- but it would probably be best if it had some sort of narration. While a lot of it is very visual, there's a lot of deception that goes on that the audience won't understand if not through Katniss's perspective.

That's very true. And a few scenes may be a bit gruesome for younger viewers.... but I hate it when movies sugar coat scenes. Here's hoping they don't.

I don't think it was a "bad" book, but it didn't stand out to me the way the reviews I read promised :'P D[...] you, overhype!

In particular, having read quite a bit of dystopian sf (or just novels with cruel, powerful, and supposedly good for you governments), I didn't feel challenged in any way.

I think they might be good- but it would probably be best if it had some sort of narration. While a lot of it is very visual, there's a lot of deception that goes on that the audience won't understand if not through Katniss's perspective.

And they'd never do it ;_; Somehow I feel there's some pervasive idea that viewers can't stomach what they already read in a book, or that because you have a mainly visual medium you can't add in narration. The same aversion teen/adult writers have to pictures in novels, I suppose.

I suppose I didn't feel very challanged either- after all, I've read more than my share of simmilar plots. I don't know, something in the style and characters just appealed to me. *shrugs*

I don't know...they might give it a narration. I can't think of quite a few that do, although they are mainly at the begining and the end. Didn't 'The Lovely Bones' have narration all the way through?

I loved loved loved those books. I can't wait for the third one. I know someone mentioned to me what it's gonna be called, I forgot. Mockingjay?

the third book is Mockingjay to be released in Augest and the Hunger Games is really good in my opinian

Edited by Burnt rose

I thought the first one was really good, Catching Fire was okay... considering how it ended, I'm not sure about Mockingjay.

yeah. The ending of Catching Fire was kind of, abrupt, in my opinion. But the rest of the book was written quite brilliantly. I'm about to reread the two books for summer reading AND the fact that Mockingjay's coming out soon so I want to have the rest of the book fresh in my memory. xd.png

The Hunger Games was really good. I didn't like Catching Fire as much, however.

biggrin.gif I'm waiting for the book to be available at my library. I've got it on hold. I heard it was good from a LOOOOOOOOT of people, so I thought I'd try it out. ^^

I read the first one, and I loved it. I'm trying to get the second one, but the person that originally recommended the books to me, told me that the second one isn't as good. I guess I'll find out. :3

It's absolutely amazing. Great plot. The end of Catching Fire was a little... sudden, though.

I really love The Hunger Games, and while Catching Fire wasn't as good, I could tell that it was because it was laying the groundwork for a totally awesome conclusion.

I've read both and I thought that Catching Fire was pretty good too -- not as good as the first, though. Can't wait for Mockingjay, it's got an amazing pretty cover. Lucky for my friend, it comes out on her birthday. xd.png I hope she'll let me borrow her copy if she gets one...

I read the first one awhile ago, it was pretty awesome. xd.png Trying to find out a way to get Catching Fire since the library doesn't have it most of the time and I keep forgetting to ask my friend. >.<

The Hunger Games I found enjoyable, Catching Fire less so, since the novelty had worn off somewhat -- although there were some visually stunning scenes in both. I'll read Mockingjay, too... though the conclusion seems a bit foregone even looking at the cover, and I hope Suzanne Collins doesn't lose sight of the plot over technicalities. Ah well. Can do nothing but wait and look forward to it.

i loved The Hunger Games!!!! I think that Catching Fire killed the series tho. It wasn't as good as the first book. oh well, that's just my opinion. i hope MockingJay is just as good or better then the 1st book.

yeah, catching fire wasn't as good. it seemed like the author just realized, "oh, the series is called 'the hunger games,' better send'em back." gale got some actual character developement, though, which was totally awesome. love'im!

I havnt read it but what is it about.

Edited by jaylynn

I havnt read it but what is it about.

Basic Short Summary;

The story is set in a post-apoclyptic world, in the ruins of North America. This new country is run by the Capitol, which keeps are harsh control on the out-lying twelve districts. After civil war against the Capitol decades before, it was decided that a new method was needed to keep the districts in line.

The annual 'Hunger Games' have been going each year. Two children from each district are selected to compete in the games- they'll be thrown into an arena, to fight nature, monsters and themselves. The winner will become a celebrity. Everyone else will die.

When Katniss' sister is selected, she takes her place. The story is a mix of survival, science-fiction and political novel. Its fun and also sad at the same time.

So I'm reading and everyone is saying that the first book is better. Though both books are GREAT I find that I like the second book better. I thought the ending left a great dropoff that left you going WHAT!?!?!?! or OMFG!!! It also answered many questions that I had in the first place. The ending was just the kind of ending that a third and final book could pick up and acctually do something with.

Basically the second book had a great ending with many questions that the third book will be able to answer.

I liked the first book better because the plot seemed more... solid to me. I think Mockingjay's going to be better than Catching Fire, because even though it was good it seemed like somebody trying to find something to write as a sequel, like when people make sequel to popular cartoon movies. For example, going back into the arena a second time was kind of cliche.

It was still amazing, though, and they're both some of my favorite books. I read a bit of Gregor the Overlander and it wasn't nearly as good.

Edited by LotusCalm