irrelevantindigo

The Relevant Art Thread & "Egg Commissions"

ⓘⓘ'ⓢ ⓐⓡⓣ ⓣⓗⓡⓔⓐⓓ & ⓔⓖⓖ ⓒⓞⓜⓜⓘⓢⓢⓘⓞⓝⓢ

Hello and welcome to my art thread. I am just a uni student trying to get better at digital art, mainly pixel art. It is my goal to one day be able to sprite pretty DC dragons and be good at anatomy.

Any posted art (that isn’t commissioned) is open to critique and ‘red lines’.

I’d be super grateful for it too, even if you’re not an artist or don’t think your crits would be appreciated. It will be.*

(*Please don’t be rude though, that’s not appreciated.)

A link to my deviantart for anyone who wants to snoop

Some dragon refs and tutorials that I use that you can use too if ya like

Master-Post List:

Banners (April 4th - June 8th, 2017)

Free-To-Use Birb Avatars

Edited by irrelevantindigo

CLOSED FOR NOW

Egg commissions?

Yes, egg commissions.

To avoid a large number of requests, I'm running egg commissions. You can still request things, but the catch is there's no guarantee when or if I'll post it.

If you want to commission something from me, I will accept the payment of any egg I don't have yet OR an egg I'm looking for. (Which is a lot of them.)

Guidelines & Suggestions:

○ I am more likely to accept an egg if it is a breed I don't have or a breed I am looking for to complete a lineage or something.

○ Please PM the any teleport links, don't post them in the thread.

○ Please don't ask for a commission:

-Without the form below.

-If all the slots below are taken or unavailable

_________

|T L ; D R |

|Egg = Art |

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Commission Form

So I don't become horribly disorganized.

Scroll Name:
Egg Offer: [URL=https://dragcave.net/lineage/EGG CODE HERE]Egg(s)[/URL]
CB or Bred:
--
Commission Description:
Pixel or Digital:
Ref Link(s): {can be very specific or general pictures. it just gives me an idea of what you'd like to see.}

Please comment this form if there's a slot open and you want a commission. You can also PM me this form or just PM me about commissions in general. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Slots:

○ Slot Open;

○ Slot Open;

○ Slot Open; 

○ Slot Open; 

@Verridith: I've PMed you about your commission and reserved a slot.

--

I finished a sketch from yesterday. I decided it looked like an apple dragon and so I tried to color it like that.

Apple Dragon.

user posted image

[Process]

user posted image

So I'm having issues with drawing the wings when the body is at this angle.

If anyone has any suggestions that'd be great. ^^"

Edit: Thank you Silverphoenixx and ab613 for your help. I've fixed up this poor dragon's wings he's looking much better. wub.gif

I'm not really sure what you're going for, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the flatter, stretched out wings appear to be going backwards? As in, the joint where the wings attach to the body appears to be further forward than the other joints in the wing. Not sure if that was a good explanation, but I can try to sketch examples if it's hard to understand.

I'm not really sure what you're going for, so correct me if I'm wrong, but the flatter, stretched out wings appear to be going backwards? As in, the joint where the wings attach to the body appears to be further forward than the other joints in the wing. Not sure if that was a good explanation, but I can try to sketch examples if it's hard to understand.

What I'm trying to go for is a landing. I'm not sure how much the wings would be spread or anything so I've been sketching and taking guesses.

You're right they totally are backwards! I think what I was originally going for was open wings to slow down for a landing but they do just look backwards. :U

I'm really not sure how to fix that...

not sure what advice on fixing the backwards wings to give aside from, well, reverse it. the way the fingers are spread out is fine, they're just.. going in the wrong direction. i'd bring the thickest wing finger over to the front (so it'd visually be below the other fingers). i think you tried to make them seem like the arms were going kind of up and over, but the way the lines are drawn and the order of the fingers makes it look backwards. it's worse on the far/viewer left wing, where you have a line on the arm with no gaps in pixels, making it look like the arm is bending the other way.

hope that's helpful

not sure what advice on fixing the backwards wings to give aside from, well, reverse it. the way the fingers are spread out is fine, they're just.. going in the wrong direction. i'd bring the thickest wing finger over to the front (so it'd visually be below the other fingers). i think you tried to make them seem like the arms were going kind of up and over, but the way the lines are drawn and the order of the fingers makes it look backwards. it's worse on the far/viewer left wing, where you have a line on the arm with no gaps in pixels, making it look like the arm is bending the other way.

hope that's helpful

That's such a simple solution! Thank you, I was really over thinking my anatomy and what not at this point.

user posted image

Commission for Verridith. smile.gif

Please do not use unless you are Verridith or have their permission.

Tbh this is the first human I've drawn in two years so I'm feeling pretty okay about this.

Edit: The image had to be reuploaded due to a... glitch? It is now back.

I think you should feel more than just "pretty okay" about that! I hope Verri is happy with it. I personally think she's both adorable and gorgeous - took my breathe away to see it, actually.

I think you should feel more than just "pretty okay" about that! I hope Verri is happy with it. I personally think she's both adorable and gorgeous - took my breathe away to see it, actually.

Ahhh you're way too kind Sock (/∀\ )♥

Hi! smile.gif

Scroll Name: BatPopsicle

Egg Offer: Falconiform https://dragcave.net/view/1Du4W and a blue Fire Gem influenced male (not on your list but I don't think you have a blue one) https://dragcave.net/view/r1TpE

CB or Bred: Both CB

--

Commission Description:

Pixel or Digital: Either one. I would love a bat with flapping wings if possible. Whichever (pixel or digital) you think looks best. I'm not picky and love all bats.

Ref Link(s):

I hope I did this right. Thank you smile.gif

Edited by BatPopsicle

I would love a bat with flapping wings if possible. Whichever (pixel or digital) you think looks best. I'm not picky and love all bats.

Oh boy wing animation! I can prooobably do some pixel art of this? I've never done a flying animation before so it might not be very big? Probably in the 100x100 pixel range. (avatar sized; to do something bigger I'd need to be more confident in my animation skillz.)

I hope I did this right. Thank you smile.gif

You did it right! I have free time so I'll get started on sketching this out. c:

That sounds great, thank you. Both eggs have just under 5 days left. I will fog them until needed and then I can hatch them, to give you plenty of time. The blue Fire Gem was influenced male already but would you like me to influence the gender of the Falconiform Wyvern? smile.gif

That sounds great, thank you. Both eggs have just under 5 days left. I will fog them until needed and then I can hatch them, to give you plenty of time. The blue Fire Gem was influenced male already but would you like me to influence the gender of the Falconiform Wyvern? smile.gif

Thank you so much!!

If you want, you can influence it to be female I guess? But you can totally save your influences if you want. ^^"

user posted image

Commission for BatPopsicle.

Be sure to save these somewhere as they may not always be on the image hosting site I use.

Please do not use unless you are BatPopsicle or have their permission.

--

I realized after I was done animation and coloring it that it was ~10 pixels shy of a 100 pixel width (which is the maximum for avatars here) so I kinda chopped off the tips of the wings to make it 100px wide, should you want to use it. ><"

user posted image

Anyway, I hope you like it. I made the bat sorta purple/red because you can't see bats at night, only at dusk and dawn. ^^

Thanks for being the first person to commission something with a flying motion, I've never successfully animated something that moves that much, so I really appreciate being given a reason to push myself. <3 Hopefully I'll continue to improve at it. ^^"

Edit: Dimensions for the bat above are 100 wide, 48 high.

Oh wow, I love it! It's perfect. You did an amazing job. Thank you so much! ❤❤❤

user posted image

I'm sure you've all heard of stress doodling, but now get ready for stress spriting! I did this for an hour instead of studying.

Blink animations are my favorite. Second only to those bouncy neutral-stance animations.

an hour? 0 0 : pls teach me your spriting skills i need your secrets

the blink animation is so nice and smooth !! what program do you use? 0:

an hour? 0 0 : pls teach me your spriting skills i need your secrets

the blink animation is so nice and smooth !! what program do you use? 0:

Hah, thank you. I don't have many skills so it wouldn't be too hard. xd.png

I'm actually just noticing all the problems with that sprite now lol.

For programs I use Paint Tool SAI(so I can use pen pressure and color tools), GIMP (to animate and edit colors), and MSPaint (for everything else).

As for blink animation, this explains it really well. I personally have my blink frames going at a speed of 80ms with 2000/5000ms pauses when the eyes are open. Overall though, playing around with frames and speeds can really help you achieve any simple effects you're looking for. smile.gif

Hah, thank you. I don't have many skills so it wouldn't be too hard. xd.png

I'm actually just noticing all the problems with that sprite now lol.

For programs I use Paint Tool SAI(so I can use pen pressure and color tools), GIMP (to animate and edit colors), and MSPaint (for everything else).

As for blink animation, this explains it really well. I personally have my blink frames going at a speed of 80ms with 2000/5000ms pauses when the eyes are open. Overall though, playing around with frames and speeds can really help you achieve any simple effects you're looking for. smile.gif

noo your sprite looks rly good to me : ' D artists are funny people, i honestly can't notice anything wrong w the sprite or anything !! but i feel, i'm always super critical of my own art haha

ohhh gimp !!! i use sai too, its a favourite <33 i've heard about using gimp to animate but never explored it in depth ; u ; that's really interesting, thank you for the tutorial !! <33 my pc is currently broken and i draw everything on this ancient laptop w/ terrible colour display, but if my replacement part ever comes and i'm able to draw normally again i'll definitely check it out! 0:

This art all looks pretty cool and i might want to commission something in the future. smile.gif

So I did an art trade with Toodles and I feel like it turned out really well; it was as if the art gods smiled down upon me.

user posted image

Character belongs to Toodles.