GhostMouse

Unboxed Lineage View

Continuing the conversation from this thread (about the altered lineage views we had recently), the suggestion is to remove the boxes from lineage view entirely, so that each dragon's whole sprite is visible.

Example thanks to tikigurl91

-snip-

For example:

user posted image >>> user posted image

I think that looks so much better, and it makes no change to lineage size.

Fuzzbucket tweaked these to offer this compromise, full sprites in boxes:

user posted image

An alternate suggestion is to allow each user to customize their own lineage views, by being able to slide dragons around inside the provided box. (Credit to edwardelricfreak.)

While I understand the idea of zooming in on the faces more, I'm pretty sure most people make lineages on color, shape, and especially the interesting bits of the dragon. Very rarely is that interesting bit the head. It's why a lot of people get sad when they find out stuff like details on the wings, tail, etc are in fact cut off in lineage view.

Me, I kind of wish I could choose how to view certain dragons in lineage view. The head has to be seen, but a way to slide around a little window (the edges of the lineage box) and make it bigger or smaller and/or even zoom in/out would be kind of awesome.

Unfortunately, that sounds like a lot of work, both on TJ's side and the users' side (note that I'm not saying it's impossible to code, especially since I've seen features like that used before, I'm just saying it sounds like a lot of work). Would be neat, though.

Edited by GhostMouse

I really like the whole sprite showing, as in the "no box" example. The boxed view always cuts off some portion of the sprite and I prefer to see them in all their glory as the spriters made them.

I personally would love it if the lineages show the entire sprite. I'm not sure how complicated it would be to change it from boxed to full view, but I feel like it shouldn't be too hard (especially compared to the sliding dragon inside box idea). Granted, I only know how to code in Python, so I don't know. C':

Edited by Utsuhi

Theoretically it should be quite simple to code, just replacing the image of the boxed sprites with the normal sprites. The only problem could be that the varied sprite sizes could mess with the big box sizes, but it shouldn't be too hard I'd imagine.

Either way, I'd like it. It's fun seeing the full sprites rather than the box ones.

No please no no no!

Or if you do, please make it an optional account-wide setting. So many of my lineages would look so awkward with the full sprites...

Pro:

- Would look very good in some cases (as the example in the first post).

- There would never be any more problems / unpleasant surprises with lineage pictures of new releases. (Such as, the sprite is beautiful and the lineage picture makes it look stupid.)

- External sites such as AOND could actually be used to see what a lineage will look like. Currently they can only show an approximation because they can't use the lineage pictures.

Contra:

- Would damage the look of lineages that have been created specifically for the way the dragons are placed in the lineage picture.

- If the sprites are used in the original size, different sizes might make lineages look strange. If they are resized to have the same (horizontal?) size, some dragons might lose more details than they do in the current lineage pictures.

- If the resulting pictures (resized or not) are bigger than the current lineage pictures, lineages with all short names would look less nice/special than now. (I don't know how many other users choose short names with the lineage look in mind, but I have done that.)

I currently don't see a technical solution for the "contra" arguments, and I think many users would be affected by those problems. This could be handled by making the unboxed view optional, i.e. keeping the current lineage pictures available (and also providing new ones for future dragons) and letting each user decide how they want to see lineages in a scroll setting.

Additionally, when I want to show a lineage I have created (as in "everybody look at this thing I have made and tell me it's beautiful!"), I would like an option to use something like "/lineage/Pbz16/full" and "/lineage/Pbz16/boxed" to determine the way other users see the lineage. They could still change the link (by removing the "/full" or "/boxed" part) to see it according to their scroll setting. Or there could even be a button or link on the lineage page to switch between the display options.

I'd go for the full view sprites. But, I'd like it to be optional for the members who prefer them in boxes. It could be an account setting that could be ticked off, just like how you can hide your adults on your scroll.

I prefer the boxes, honestly, because they always feel neater and more uniform.

Full sprites IN boxes gets my vote.

I would like a test time, 2 weeks to see how unboxed would look.

Edited by Flemmeth

I would like unboxed as an option, but not as a replacement.

A toggle option in account settings + a way to link a lineage so it looks a certain way (like Cat suggested) would be great!

I like the slide / zoom a lot, too, but I think it'd be harder to implement.

I like the idea of user choice - I forget who posted it now. But use a slider or something to position dragon in box or leave box out of it. That way it will affect only the user looking at that lineage. This could appeal to the largest majority I think.

Continuing the conversation from this thread (about the altered lineage views we had recently), the suggestion is to remove the boxes from lineage view entirely, so that each dragon's whole sprite is visible.

Example thanks to tikigurl91

An alternate suggestion is to allow each user to customize their own lineage views, by being able to slide dragons around inside the provided box. (Credit to edwardelricfreak.)

This is such a wonderful suggestion!

If the slider is available as an option, I'll support it, but the more I see, the more I like the lineages out of the boxes.

My preferences on lineage view..

1. Flexible tables; based on percentage rather than a fixed pixel height/width

2. Full sprite images resized to 50% of the original, with NO box around them

3. Word wrap used within the table so names don't stretch the boxes

That's the way I build the tables on my website to show off my breeding projects. Takes up the least amount of space necessary both vertically and horizontally, is neat and precise and shows off the dragons nicely.

3. Word wrap used within the table so names don't stretch the boxes

I like this idea very, very much. It matters to me, how my lineages look like and the way they look is influenced by names too. I suppose I'm in minority here, but I'd even like an option to hide names (some are so long that word wrap may not really help). Of course I have control over names of mine dragons, but not over the names of those I trade for and stretched boxes are not appealing.

I would like to see this offered as an option, along with several other suggestions (including those that came up in this thread). I don't ever want to lose the classic lineage view, but I love having options and the ability to customize as much as possible. smile.gif And it WOULD be kind of nice to see the whole sprite and not have bits hacked off here and there, altering the look of the color schemes.

I definitely prefer the original boxed arrangement, as it feels more organized and neat to me. I really don't like the unboxed, full-sprite view. If both options were available for use, that'd be okay but I'd prefer a toggle under Account Settings because I really only want to see them in the boxed view and I'd rather not manually change each one I look at.

I think I wouldn't mind name wrapping, depending on how it's done. I tend to use longer names sometimes and it doesn't bother me, however sometimes lineages end up totally askew when one generation is just codes and the others have longer names. Look at any of this dragon's children to see what I mean. It disappoints me. :/

I definitely support the option for people to select what lineage view they'd prefer.

Personally speaking, I hate the boxes and cropping - I'd much rather see the sprites in their full glory, so to speak. Whenever I start a lineage project, I always take the whole adult sprite into account - and more often than not, I end up disappointed because some part of the sprite ends up cropped off. A good example is this particular project of mine. In the whole view of the sprites, because of the positioning of the tails and heads, the dragons appear to be dancing, but without the tails displayed, that effect is totally lost in the lineage view.

But I can also see that others would prefer to keep the boxes / cropping because they've built the lineage around that box being there, so while I'd love to remove the boxes entirely for myself, I don't want to force a change like this on someone's lineage project that makes use of these boxes.

Full sprites IN boxes gets my vote.

This.

But I'd like to also have it optional for the user's choice.

Either way, I'd really like to see the whole sprite for all my dragons in their lineages. The adult Cassare's lineage view picture made me want to reconsider breeding them. dry.gif

Could someone do a mock-up of the full sprite but as a boxed view? Just curious to as how it might look compared to the others.

The more sprites we get released, the more I do wish we could see more of some dragons. I feel without the box is a little odd, though. However... before posting this I just realized that we have dragons with lots of different dimensions. A small-boxed mint with a large-boxed hellfire (or red or frostbite or whatever else) might look odd and I think a mint floating in a large box will likely look odd. So maybe not the best option after all. xP

Could someone do a mock-up of the full sprite but as a boxed view? Just curious to as how it might look compared to the others.

The more sprites we get released, the more I do wish we could see more of some dragons. I feel without the box is a little odd, though. However... before posting this I just realized that we have dragons with lots of different dimensions. A small-boxed mint with a large-boxed hellfire (or red or frostbite or whatever else) might look odd and I think a mint floating in a large box will likely look odd. So maybe not the best option after all. xP

You can see it on AOND at any time xd.png

=y&style[bg]=y&style[border]=n

Here's one of mine

HOPE that works.... the link edits itself rather oddly....

Edited by fuzzbucket

You can see it on AOND at any time xd.png

=y&style[bg]=y&style[border]=n

Here's one of mine

HOPE that works.... the link edits itself rather oddly....

I meant with a box like the tiles view but without cutting out any of the sprite (unless I'm missing an option on ANoD?). =o But after thinking about the size differences in sprites, that was a silly thought, anyway. x3

I was thinking, though, after a tsunami x carmine breeding, what about a more square, rather than rectangular, lineage tile? Maybe I should just open GIMP and actually play with it. rolleyes.gif

Isn't that one in the first post what you meant ?

Oh wait... cool.gif

Back soon....

Like this ?

user posted image

Edited by fuzzbucket

I... I'm not sure which I like more now. Definitely the full-sized sprite, but the box does somehow make it look more... neat, organized. blink.gif