Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest, Please Read This.
! Welcome to the Dragon Cave Forums! If you aren't sure what to do, here are a list of recommended locations:

Board Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Edit Your Profile
Search the Forum

Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts.

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Purple Hatchling Descriptions, Sugjesting a Change...
Eluin Gentry
Posted: Nov 25 2010, 02:34 AM
Quote Post

Level 5

Group: Members
Member No.: 56,464

I agree. And it is true that some people have a hard time knowing what they are looking at with certain animals. But for us seasoned veterans, there shouldn't be an issue. I'm going to use rats for an example, since rats gender very obviously after a certain point.
As a baby, most people cannot tell if they are looking at a boy rat or a girl rat. Newbies to the rat field and petstores are notorious for getting sexes wrong all the time. An s1 hatchie is like a baby rat. No blatiently obvious differences, so you don't know if you've got a boy or girl. But after a few days, breeders can tell if they have boys or girls and are right more than 90% of the time. s2 hatchies would be like those rats. Newbies still wouldn't be able to tell, but those of us that have worked with them a lot would.
Even with reptiles with no blatiently obvious difference, experts can tell. My vet could tell my beardie was a female just by looking at her head size. Same with my snake. Markings and tail spurs gave it away very easily. Joe off the street wouldn't know.

Most of us have a LOT of dragons. It would be safe to say that we would know something about dragons if they were real. I think it is crazy to think that we wouldn't have figured out signs to look for, especially after the animal genders.

I fully support changing the message.
PMEmail Poster
MisunderstoodDreamer
Posted: Nov 25 2010, 04:55 AM
Quote Post

~Now less Misunderstood, but still a Dreamer! <3

Member No.: 63,337

The Purple's description is based on their colour's theme. The 1st stage hatchie description express the fact that you think it's a girl because it's purple. The 2nd stage hatchie male is different from the female only for their moustache thing but, as said in the adult description "It was previously believed that purple dragons were exclusively female [...]. Recent environmental shifts have revealed the existence of both genders of this breed. Female behavior is well known [...], very little is known about the behavior and habits of male purple dragons", the male ones are a recent discovery and aren't well knowed so in DC's real life, unless you are the one that discovered the existence of males, you look at the hatchie and say "Weird! This one has little moustache! But it's a Purple, an only female breed, it's girlie coloured, so it's a female." Also in DC real life we haven't gender symbols that float next to the hatchies, so if it's a male you don't know it. At first it seems illogical, but thinking it becomes logical, besides if the description was wrong for the spriters when males were introduced, it was changed in that days.
PMEmail Poster
airaani
Posted: Mar 16 2011, 05:49 AM
Quote Post

Elemental Ninja

Member No.: 41,014

I just noticed this once again on a male purple hatchie. It still seems silly. Is the OP still around? maybe we could get a poll:
YES it should be changed (post reason)
I don't care
NO it makes sense (post reason)
or something.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOLMSN
Coronaviridae
Posted: Mar 16 2011, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

Level 6

Member No.: 68,779

I'm going to add a "support" to this. By the time it hits S2, the discerning dragon owner has probably figured out that their hatchling is not, in fact, a girl.

QUOTE ("MisunderstoodDreamer")
Also in DC real life we haven't gender symbols that float next to the hatchies, so if it's a male you don't know it.

No, but our scrolls are collections of information we keep about our own dragons in "DC real life". So you can assume when the gender symbol appears on the scroll, which in game terms is the DC code revealing to us what the hatchling gendered as when it hatched, it's our DC "avatar" writing down that we've discovered that a hatchling is male or female. So if in DC real life you've updated your scroll with the information that your new purple hatchling is a male (the male symbol is now on the scroll), you know it's not female.
PMEmail Poster
Stunningfire
Posted: Mar 16 2011, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

♥Peanut♥

Member No.: 59,156

QUOTE (Completely Different @ May 8 2010, 09:14 PM)
Agreed.

If not, its kinda like;
A: Oh, look, its a boy! I checked.
B: No....I think its a girl.
A: Trust me, its a boy. You just gotta look.
B: Mmmmhh....are you sure? I think its a girl, I just don't know how to check.
A: Yes! You do! I just showed you!

Basically this.
PMEmail PosterMSN
evilbunny405
Posted: Mar 16 2011, 08:20 PM
Quote Post

Level 7

Member No.: 45,539

QUOTE (AiKirikaX @ Jun 9 2010, 11:16 AM)
there are already different messages for each gender for the hellfire dragons
so why not here too

maybe something like this:
female:
"Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. You thought it was a girl, although you were not sure how to check.
And look! It's grown its wings and you were correct about its gender, too! It must be close to maturing."
male:
"Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. You thought it was a girl, although you were not sure how to check.
And look! It's grown its wings and oops, you were wrong about its gender, too! It must be close to maturing."

Although, if you changed it to were, wouldn't it be confusing next time you get a purple hatchie? I mean, that would sound like you forgot how to check.
How about, something along the lines of it being impossible to check in its current age?
PMEmail Poster
Aresa
Posted: Mar 17 2011, 01:33 AM
Quote Post

Level 5

Member No.: 11,559

What about: Since one of your male pinks hummed to the egg, you're rather certain it will turn out male?

and this line to every influenced egg?

This post has been edited by Aresa on Mar 17 2011, 01:35 AM
PMEmail Poster
souldraemer
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

Level 2

Member No.: 188,877

I have no idea if this is in the right place - I couldn't find a place to offer suggestions on already implemented dragons that wasn't related to the BSA.

I noticed this weekend that my purple dragon hatchling still says: "Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. You think it's a girl, although you're not sure how to check." I know this is a hold-over from when the purple dragon was female-only, but it was especially amusing to me when that description remained the same even after my hatchling had gendered male. How hard would it be to change the description of the purple hatchling so that it says something different?
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Sinister-by-Nature
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 09:29 AM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 181,852

True, perhaps it could be changed to something like this:

S1: Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. You think it's a girl, although you're not sure how to check.

Female S2: Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. You were right, it is a girl and its grown wings! It must be close to maturing!

Male S2: Aww... It's a cute baby dragon. You were wrong, its not a girl and is, in fact a boy and has grown wings! It must be close to maturing!

Or something like that, but im not sure if the description can be changed without the creators permission. I might be wrong though.

This post has been edited by Sinister-by-Nature on Apr 10 2012, 09:33 AM
PM
XxdragicexX
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Level 6

Member No.: 65,732

Read the description of the adult purple dragon and it should clear things up.
PMEmail Poster
Sinister-by-Nature
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 181,852

QUOTE (XxdragicexX @ Apr 10 2012, 03:39 PM)
Read the description of the adult purple dragon and it should clear things up.

This is true, but it does still seam silly that it says 'you think its a girl' if it genders male. I think this is what soul is meaning.

This post has been edited by Sinister-by-Nature on Apr 10 2012, 09:45 AM
PM
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Wednesday has been canceled due to a scheduling potato.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 7,406

~Merged~
PMEmail Poster
souldraemer
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

Level 2

Member No.: 188,877

QUOTE (SockPuppet Strangler @ Apr 10 2012, 01:04 PM)
~Merged~

Thank you, Sockpuppet! I swear I did look, but apparently didn't look enough. >.> My bad!
StormWizard212
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 01:47 PM
Quote Post

I run with scissors. It makes me feel danderous.

Member No.: 150,667

I support this. smile.gif It does seem a little strange that you'd "think" it's a girl once you know what the gender is. So I wouldn't mind seeing the description changed to something else. smile.gif

This post has been edited by StormWizard212 on Apr 10 2012, 01:48 PM
PM
Princess Artemis
Posted: Apr 10 2012, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

Level 11

Member No.: 41,277

I thought I supported this way back. I know I read Completely Different's wonderful post.

Male hatchies have mustaches. I know how to check. If this was about Pinks, it wouldn't be so bad, since it isn't immediately obvious which is which, but come on. Male Purple hatchies might as well have a neon sign on their backs that say what sex they are.
Sinornis
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 08:00 PM
Quote Post

Level 3

Member No.: 77,751

i agree.its wiard and sexist.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topic