TJ09

2014-09-10 - Preview: Site Redesign

I'm going to be doing a series of preview topics to give everyone a taste of what's coming. Over the next few days weeks months arbitrary period of time, expect to see more of these threads. Nothing here is final, and things may take a while to see the light of day, especially with the holiday event season upcoming. Enjoy!

The current site layout was created in 2007, and, while that was long ago, it's not the first site design:

user posted image

Good thing the site doesn't still look like this. There wasn't even any menu.

History lesson aside, the current design has fared well enough over the years, but it's time for a bit of a refresh. The organization of the header was severely limiting in terms of what could be done, preventing potentially-useful features from being added. What's in the works won't be a complete change from what we have now, it'll provide more visual interest (thanks to some beautiful art by Nakase) while settling some of the longest standing requests.

Here's a teaser of what's to come:

user posted image

That's right. A clock. Try not to get too excited.

user posted image

Look at that awesome painting. Look at it.

user posted image

Even the errors are pretty.

Looks awesome TJ !,can't wait to see it smile.gif ooh yes the clock is a great idea! smile.gif

Edited by rachii.xo

Oooooh, I can't wait for this! I still like the current design though :3 even being so old, it's still very nice. But, can't wait for the new stuff!

Oh my gosh! You and Nakase have been busy. This looks very sweet. 8 ) Can't wait for the arbitrary period of time, lol. <3

Even without the clock, seeing the distinction between night and day will surely prove useful! As much as I love the old, I can't wait to see the new. biggrin.gif

Wow. I wasn't around for the single cave but I can imagine the releases...*shudders*

Psyched for the new updates though! Purdy errors, lol

Edited by gregregreg

Cool. Just hoping I can still have my Portal 2 skin, even if it needs to be modified to fit the new layout. ;w;

Liking the clock and other things so far.

This looks great! I can't wait to see more. smile.gif Very excited about the clock feature and day/night indicator. And that painting is beautiful! Nice one, Nakase! <3

As long as the new design is not very graphics intensive... I know some people lag with the current site... so something fancy with lots of little lag causing bits will make egg hunting suck even worse for people with older computers / slow internet connections

(and please no response of then they need to get a better computer or they need a better isp... some times it's not possible / affordable to upgrade either of those two things... my net sucks, but we have the -best- option available where I live, it's a location thing)

Before I read the complete post, I saw the old black background example and thought, "Well, that's gonna suck dragon eggs..." Some folks' monitors would render it so dark as to not be able to see anything but the text (assuming it is a light color) and the ? on the eggs. Then I read further, and I do like Nakase's nifty painting. I think the clock option is really cool, especially if it will also count down the seconds. I have my hunting timed. xd.png And whatever background does happen, I hope it will be as complimentary to the lovely eggs and dragons as the old one is. I like the black-out theme myself, but don't use it, because it hurts my eyes when viewing the sprites against it. Just throwing my 2 cents in from the peanut gallery.