Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest, Please Read This.
! Welcome to the Dragon Cave Forums! If you aren't sure what to do, here are a list of recommended locations:

Board Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Edit Your Profile
Search the Forum

Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts.

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Dragon Cave app for Facebook, You would like to use DC on Facebook?
fuzzbucket
Posted: May 12 2012, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

Last time I looked, I wasn't here.

Group: Members
Member No.: 55,386

It also occurs to me (I did get about the game not being there as such) that FB is VERY high traffic. I can see malicious viewbombing shooting up if links got kind of autoviewed there... mad.gif (I know it doesn't happen a lot. But it does happen, and once it HAS happened to you, you do get twitchy... I know this xd.png)
PMEmail Poster
girlfairy76
Posted: May 12 2012, 09:00 AM
Quote Post

CURSES! MY SKITTLES! -runs off-

Member No.: 129,212

Well, I don't know. I'm fine with Dc the way it is now. Also, FB is for kids older than 13. Some kids are younger then thirteen and may not be able to go.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
WraithZephyr
Posted: May 12 2012, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Level 13

Member No.: 25,685

QUOTE (girlfairy76 @ May 12 2012, 10:00 AM)
Well, I don't know. I'm fine with Dc the way it is now. Also, FB is for kids older than 13. Some kids are younger then thirteen and may not be able to go.

Well....anyone who sets up a DC scroll and is under the age of 13 has falsified their account information at the time of registration and is breaking the rules from the beginning so I don't really see how breaking the rules here is going to have any affect on their ability to have (or not have) a Facebook account. ???

From the DC account setup screen & Terms of Service:
* Agreements
I agree that I am 13 years of age or older.
I agree to the site terms and conditions.

* By signing up, you agree that you will only create one (1) account. You also agree that you will not falsify information when creating accounts for any reason.

QUOTE (fuzzbucket @ May 12 2012, 09:56 AM)
It also occurs to me (I did get  about the game not being there as such) that FB is VERY high traffic. I can see malicious viewbombing shooting up if links got kind of autoviewed there... mad.gif (I know it doesn't happen a lot. But it does happen, and once it HAS happened to you, you do get twitchy... I know this xd.png)

My BF (& a couple of other online friends) finally broke me down and I got a FB account back in December after 3+ years of non-stop nagging. I have found that FB is actually not as high traffic as you would think unless you have hundreds upon hundreds of "friends" and always post everything "publicly" (ie. viewable to anyone friend or not)

I am very big on privacy for one thing which is why I fought joining FB for so long. When I set the account up, I did not enter any location info, work info, education info, phone numbers or other personal info type stuff in my profile and I have privacy settings locked pretty good. When it comes to posting things on FB, overall I have found FB to be reasonable on how things are shared (they've come a long way). There is the ability to actually target where your posted stuff goes. It's not just posting to everyone on your friends list or to the world at large (i.e. to anyone who stumbles upon your profile) anymore. There is the ability to target your posts to specific friends or groups of friends. If you are worried about who might see what.. simply organize your friends into Lists based on whatever criteria you want. A single friend can be on more than one list too if they fit into multiple categories you set up. For example, I have people generally categorized based on whether they are close friends, play games, are into certain hobbies, etc. So if I am playing a FB game (I did find a couple that were too good to pass up) and I post game related stuff then at the time I make the post, I select from the drop down menu that the post will only show up on the feeds of people I have in my "Games" list. This way I don't bother any of my friends who do not play games with stuff they obviously don't want to see. If there is something personal I want to share with only close friends (not my "stranger friends"), I post only to that list. If there is something I want to post to only one specific person, I can "custom" select from my friend list and pick only that one person. Heck I can even set posts to be viewable to no one but me!

When you have a lot of friends, your main newsfeed can be cluttered with a lot of useless stuff from EVERYONE you are friends with and can be a pain to look through. This is also where "lists" come in handy - they act like mini-newsfeeds. Just click on a list and see all the posts made by your friends on that particular list. So, if I want to see what my knitting friends have posted, I go to that list rather than hunt through all posts on the main newsfeed.

I do get random friend requests occasionally from complete strangers (almost always ends up being a friend of a gaming friend kinda thing). I have a list set up that I call "unsorted"... so I accept friend requests and immediately put them in that list until I figure out what lists they might better belong in. I view the posts in the unsorted list to see the types of things that person has posted to get a general idea what what they are into. It's usually pretty obvious immediately if they are a game player person so I often just resort them into the game list and take them off the unsorted list. But if I can see they are also into certain hobbies that I am into, I can also add them to those lists as well.

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
kittygrl
Posted: May 12 2012, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

Call me Cesarie~

Member No.: 92,439

im on the FB "kill it with fire" bandwagon. i was forced to get one and i despise it. and if dragcave is tied to facebook i will sadly want to quit dragcave.
PMEmail Poster
WraithZephyr
Posted: May 12 2012, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

Level 13

QUOTE (kittygrl @ May 12 2012, 12:56 PM)
im on the FB "kill it with fire" bandwagon. i was forced to get one and i despise it. and if dragcave is tied to facebook i will sadly want to quit dragcave.

Tied to facebook... what an odd way of saying you'd quit over another website's simple association with this (DC) game. So do you boycott ALL websites that have a FB share button ? or twitter button? or other social media button? Since you don't want to to be FORCED to use websites that are TIED to this game then I take it to mean that you do not use any website for the purpose of hatching/growing your dragons correct? So how do you raise your dragons without the benefit of OTHER websites to raise your dragons?

Treating Facebook as another fansite hatchery is NOT forcing you to do anything you don't want. You are not being forced to use Silvi's Lair or DDF, or EATW, or EDS, or DragHatch or any of the other numerous fansites out there that are "tied" to this game ... so why would anyone in their right mind think that people would be forced to use FB exclusively to the point that they must verbally threaten to quit a game because other people might actually want to have a way to use FB as a hatchery option?
fuzzbucket
Posted: May 12 2012, 01:06 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (WraithZephyr @ May 12 2012, 12:04 PM)
Well....anyone who sets up a DC scroll and is under the age of 13 has falsified their account information at the time of registration and is breaking the rules from the beginning so I don't really see how breaking the rules here is going to have any affect on their ability to have (or not have) a Facebook account.  ???

Actually you can get permission to play DC under 13 if you ask first. I asked a mod if a young relative could play, and they said as long as his parents were OK with it (which they were.)

I am very big on privacy for one thing which is why I fought joining FB for so long. When I set the account up, I did not enter any location info, work info, education info, phone numbers or other personal info type stuff in my profile and I have privacy settings locked pretty good. <snipped to save space biggrin.gif>

I'm WELL aware of how facebook works in general - but the fact remains that they hold on to your info and if someone posts something about you once you are up there it immediately links to their page and so on. One of my daughters posted her father's name and all of a sudden... He was not pleased and had her take it down (he's only up there for professional reasons and doesn't post anything PERSONAL) - but even he was startled by what suddenly started to link to him.

Leaving aside the privacy thing - it's all so inane biggrin.gif If I want to tell someone something, even if I want to tell someone else, I won't want to tell them both in the same way. And then there is the etiquette thing - I heard of a lovely case where two people REALLY fell out - one sent a friend request which was ignored - they hardly knew each other - and the next thing he is being blasted in the supermarket over it - for being so RUDE as not to accept at once. As he said - he wanted to share his stuff with actual FRIENDS not everyone who he meets in the gas station.

There is always email. Funniest FB story ever. I told someone who is otherwise intelligent - I thought - that I would never ever - and she said but you can keep in touch with your relatives in FB.

I said I preferred to use email. She, baffled - "but what if they aren't on line ?"

blink.gif unsure.gif blink.gif

xd.png
PMEmail Poster
skauble
Posted: May 12 2012, 02:48 PM
Quote Post

Need codes that look like “mouse" -any lineage! See sig

Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE (WraithZephyr @ May 12 2012, 06:38 AM)
The game would not be ON Facebook - it would still be on dc - so that whole laggy excuse would not be an issue. What is essentially being asked here is NOT the same thing as all of the game related posts people make when playing games that are actually ON Facebook. 

Actually, towards the bottom of the first page, the OP clarified his suggestion with this:

QUOTE (Andre Miles @ May 11 2012, 08:13 PM)
The game will be the same. But with sharing function of eggs and hatchlings, to gain views and this will generate a publish about the game on Facebook. Simple.

(Young players = new players, sorry for my bad english)

It would be an automatic function. If you associate your facebook account to the dragon cave, that would probably make new shared their eggs so the catch, or setting if you want to share: Actions> Share on Facebook

The "automatic function" actually makes it seem exactly like FB games where you do something specific and a banner about it posts on your FB.

I think that the problem that people are having with FB isn't necessarily their current privacy functions as much as a. their complete willingness to change those without informing their user base, and b. their longstanding attitude of "we'll do whatever we can get away with". There has just been, historically with FB, a lack of respect for the people who use their site, so a lot of people are leery of having DC connected to them, in any official capacity.

That doesn't necessarily mean that I'm against a way for people to use FB as a way to raise their eggs. After all, we use Google's reCaptcha, and I have issues with them, too. Sometimes that's just the nature of the internet beast.
QUOTE (fuzzbucket @ May 12 2012, 06:56 AM)
It also occurs to me (I did get  about the game not being there as such) that FB is VERY high traffic. I can see malicious viewbombing shooting up if links got kind of autoviewed there... mad.gif (I know it doesn't happen a lot. But it does happen, and once it HAS happened to you, you do get twitchy... I know this xd.png)

I had a FB account for gaming a few years ago and, because it was solely for that, I had close to 5000 people friended. So I might have been able to viewbomb someone's egg. However, I would assume that using the app will connect it with the FB account accessing it, which would make the viewbomber identifiable. And while they could certainly create a fake FB account, FB pretty much hates that, and they may be willing to provide the IP address to TJ. Frankly, I think it would probably be easier to viewbomb eggs the way it gets done now.
PMEmail Poster
fuzzbucket
Posted: May 12 2012, 04:08 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (skauble @ May 12 2012, 03:48 PM)
I think that the problem that people are having with FB isn't necessarily their current privacy functions as much as a. their complete willingness to change those without informing their user base, and b. their longstanding attitude of "we'll do whatever we can get away with". There has just been, historically with FB, a lack of respect for the people who use their site, so a lot of people are leery of having DC connected to them, in any official capacity.

That too. It is appalling that FB changes settings without telling you and you have to be VIGILANT to make sure your privacy hasn't been overridden by the latest "bright" (NOT) idea to circulate your info in areas you didn't intend.
PMEmail Poster
UmbreWulf
Posted: May 19 2012, 08:48 AM
Quote Post

Level 8

Member No.: 169,708

If you want to brag about your recent catches can't you just post in the 'Congrats Thread'? And click sites? What about them?

I would hate to see this implemented. It seems so many things are associated with Facebook these days. :|
PM
DeathCry
Posted: May 19 2012, 09:16 AM
Quote Post

Waiting to be turned

Member No.: 2,321

Facebook can be seriously annoying. I'm not against anyone who would use an app like this, but not having DC related to Facebook is perfect.

/FB user 2008-Present

Edit: Typo thingy >.<

This post has been edited by DeathCry on May 19 2012, 09:17 AM
PMEmail PosterAOL
SilverX7Studios
Posted: May 19 2012, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

Level 6

Member No.: 185,482

I am totally against this. I hate FB. As Fuzzbucket said, GREAT SOCIAL NETWORK MY EYE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKHaFJzUb4

You might find that useful.

PMEmail Poster
skauble
Posted: May 19 2012, 02:08 PM
Quote Post

Need codes that look like “mouse" -any lineage! See sig

Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE (UmbreWulf @ May 19 2012, 06:48 AM)
If you want to brag about your recent catches can't you just post in the 'Congrats Thread'? And click sites? What about them?

I would hate to see this implemented. It seems so many things are associated with Facebook these days. :|

While I think fansites are absolutely awesome (and use them myself), part of the reason that the eggs are set up to be posted on forums is because it's a really good way to spread the word about the site. A (non-annoying) FB app could help with that. Besides, I understand how people who frequent FB would want to be able to use it to help raise their dragons in the same way that people using various forums can use those.

Again, not necessarily for this, but if it was carefully done I wouldn't necessarily be against it.
PMEmail Poster
WraithZephyr
Posted: May 19 2012, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

Level 13

QUOTE (UmbreWulf @ May 19 2012, 09:48 AM)

it has nothing to do with bragging about catches and every one knows the rules of this site do not allow you to post your dragons here to get views/clicks. This is about attempting to find a way to effectively use FB as a fansite hatchery for the people who WANT to use FB. People are not being forced to use specific fansite hatcheries (FB or otherwise) so why should FB-hating people try to force others to NOT use a potential source that could make for a decent hatchery if the dragon links could be made to actually work on FB.
HawktalonOfRiverClan
Posted: May 19 2012, 03:53 PM
Quote Post

The phrase "good morning" is an oxymoron.

Member No.: 66,890

I despise Facebook, but I don't care if TJ or anyone else wants a DragCave app for Facebook. I just won't be using it.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
lightningsky
Posted: May 19 2012, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

Level 7

Member No.: 67,081

QUOTE (WraithZephyr @ May 19 2012, 02:43 PM)
This is about attempting to find a way to effectively use FB as a fansite hatchery for the people who WANT to use FB. People are not being forced to use specific fansite hatcheries (FB or otherwise) so why should FB-hating people try to force others to NOT use a potential source that could make for a decent hatchery if the dragon links could be made to actually work on FB.

^ this. you know, this discussion isn't about hating FB so i don't know why everyone is sticking "omg i hate FB" into their reasons why this wouldn't be a good suggestion.

personally, it's an okay idea. i just wonder how it would work exactly. a hatchery on fb wouldn't be bad especially for people who do use facebook and might want to reach out to other players. like a fansite hatchery that's almost like a forum-setting, only a bit more personal because facebook involves real names (unless you don't have your real name...?). plus, maybe friends you have can see your activity and check it out.

i like it, and i would probably use it. that's my opinion.

another place to have trades posted would be great too; i use both these forums and EATW, yet i still feel like my trades aren't being seen by a lot of the players here. though of course i could be wrong there...xd.png

edit; typos

This post has been edited by lightningsky on May 19 2012, 03:55 PM
PM
Ashywolf
Posted: May 19 2012, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Ohai TJ09

Member No.: 65,661

I'm not a huge fan of this idea, though I am not going to go and quit if it is implemented. It would take a lot more to ruin DC for me.

I would never use it.
PM
blazingstar22
Posted: May 20 2012, 07:32 PM
Quote Post

Level 1

Member No.: 191,478

QUOTE (Redlaw @ May 11 2012, 09:06 PM)
As much as I am ok with facebook and use it.

There is a thing dealing with the spirit of the game. Its forum based and facebook is not a forum.

I would be much happier if the idea was taken to gaiaonline as it is forum based and much more people could quickly start using any such adds to this game ect...

yes i agree i would love to see an app on the gaiaonline website. but gaia has been kind of losing its members for a while tho there are still many there arent as many as in my hayday as a user... sad but from my point of view true. i havent been on the site in ages and i used to be on about everyday playing zomg and collecting items. but since the mods have started changing stuff in the game and lessening the prizes you get... people are losing interest. but anyhoo i still wouldnt mind DC getting fandom thru that site ^^ i would definitly get on more if this happened. and i thought facebook was a forum oO? considering that everyone can see your posts if you dont have it set to private... and even when you post you still get comments so doesnt that make it a forum? i may be mistaken but i thought thats what a forum was/is.... not to be sarcastic or rude... i just dont know. but im kind of taken to the idea of it being on fb myself but thats just me. xd.png i love fb. but mostly for the games. lol. that and chatting with long distance family and friends and such ^^
PMEmail Poster
Ashes The Second
Posted: May 20 2012, 09:50 PM
Quote Post

i, for one, welcome our new overlords. ♛

Member No.: 62,854

Nope.

Fuzz hit the nail on the head in her post. Plus, that's just... wow. I used to have a fb account, got slightly addicted to it, and then quit. Do I still have personal info? Yes. Do I really care? Yes. Can I do ape crap about having that info on there? No, all i can do is deactivate my account and hope that batshoot idiot of a man get's the bloody hell away from my info.

e; to the poster below me; Facebook is literally what it claims to be; a social networking site, or a wall. It does not say anywhere it is a forum. A forum has boards you post in, and discuss in pages. Facebook does not have that.

(the symbols are driving me nuts).

This post has been edited by Ashes The Second on May 20 2012, 09:52 PM
PMEmail Poster
Sinornis
Posted: May 26 2012, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Level 3

Member No.: 77,751

QUOTE (fuzzbucket @ May 11 2012, 06:23 PM)
Unless TJ is Mark Z in disguise...

that is a possibility. what do any of us know about TJ except that he was 18(i think) when he created dc.

now stop bashing facebook already. i live in florida and over half of my family is in virginia. i'm sure i'm not the only one here in this kind of situation. facebook is a good place to keep in touch with friends and family that live far away.
PMEmail Poster
fuzzbucket
Posted: May 26 2012, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

So is email, and email doesn't pass on your details to all and sundry by changing security settings for users without asking or telling them.

Mark Zuckerberg said ages ago that anyone who trusted him with their information was a ****wit. Says it all, really.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topic