Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest, Please Read This.
! Welcome to the Dragon Cave Forums! If you aren't sure what to do, here are a list of recommended locations:

Board Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Edit Your Profile
Search the Forum

Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts.

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Are you sure? Breeding., For those really horrible misclicks.
Snowytoshi
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 06:15 AM
Quote Post

IOUs Accepted and Encouraged

Group: Members
Member No.: 185,593

When you abandon an egg it says,"Are you sure you want to abandon this egg? This action is irreversible." Same thing with summon, influence etc. So why not for breeding? Almost everyone has had a perfect breeding pair, they go to click on them.... and misclick. Bam! Suddenly you have an unwanted egg on your scroll or accidental inbreeding, perhaps you're part of a lineage project and now you have to find another dragon. It also wouldn't be hard to implement as it's already automatic for the BSAs. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions on this.
PMEmail Poster
cfmtfm
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 06:25 AM
Quote Post

Your probably-not-local socially awkward, Split-loving llama

Member No.: 118,925

Yes.
Oh, please, please D: I need this.
PMEmail PosterMSN
StormWizard212
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 06:54 AM
Quote Post

I run with scissors. It makes me feel danderous.

Member No.: 150,667

I know there are probably some people that'll say this is too much "hand holding" and leaving not enough responsibility with each player to be careful of what they're doing, I would definitely like this. smile.gif If you don't want to confirm these things, there's an option to turn it off. But for those who would benefit from it, I think it'd be a great idea. I've made mistakes like this in the past myself. xd.png
PM
fuzzbucket
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 07:16 AM
Quote Post

Last time I looked, I wasn't here.

Member No.: 55,386

Sure - I can't see that asking for confirmation is handholding. That said - I bet I would click Yes, anyway.... smile.gif
PMEmail Poster
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 12:37 PM
Quote Post

Wednesday has been canceled due to a scheduling potato.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 7,406

Nuuuuuuuuuuuu please. D:

I breed all my rares (usually to throw to the AP if they produce) at once. I don't usually go on abandon'ing/fertility/teleport/kill/earthquake/etc. sprees like that. Besides, if I misbreed, it's just another 7 days I have to wait. If I misbreed it's my fault for not double checking and I can just bite/abandon/kill the egg. ^^

Confirmations are also really to stop other people from doing things with your dragons that you don't want them to. I don't think a confirmation will really make people double check that they're not misbreeding. Maybe the first few times it might, but probably not after that.

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Apr 12 2012, 12:38 PM
PMEmail Poster
stogucheme
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 02:29 PM
Quote Post

Level 9

Member No.: 72,765

QUOTE (StormWizard212 @ Apr 12 2012, 05:54 AM)
If you don't want to confirm these things, there's an option to turn it off.

Where is this magical option so I can use it?
(DNS this.)

This post has been edited by stogucheme on Apr 12 2012, 02:30 PM
PMUsers Website
Snowytoshi
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 02:31 PM
Quote Post

Sometimes I just click wrong cause I'm on my iPod and sometimes it spazzes. And even when it doesn't spaz sometimes I just misclick. It could be optional and it can't harm anything, right?
PMEmail Poster
DeathCry
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 02:32 PM
Quote Post

Waiting to be turned

Member No.: 2,321

I think this would be pretty nice. I always check and double check with dragons I am breeding, but every once in a while there can be a simple miss click that results in an uneven/unintentional egg.
PMEmail PosterAOL
Nectaris
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

I'm here for the quest. Love a good quest.

Member No.: 12,750

Personally I support this. A whole week is a long time to wait for a simple mistake.
PM
Saloiq
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 02:38 PM
Quote Post

Hiatus v_v

Member No.: 15,991

If this is off by default, fine. Otherwise, no thanks.
PM
hydrargyrum
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Level 8

Member No.: 73,392

This would get really annoying for every breeding. And even then, if I misclicked the dragon to say to breed, I'd probably click the "yes, I meant this" before I realized I had messed up. I would sort of like this for inbreeding, though. If the resulting offspring would be inbred (regardless of whether it's by this breeding, or a parent that's already inbred), a message would pop up. It would have to be opt in though, from what I've seen from others. I'm even going to start an inbred line, and I still wouldn't be bothered for their once weekly breeding.

Or I supposed if there's any opt in, you could do something like this:
Warn me when I'm about to breed:
Never (default)
Only for inbreeding
Always
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
lightningsky
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

Level 7

Member No.: 67,081

QUOTE (hydrargyrum @ Apr 12 2012, 01:53 PM)
I would sort of like this for inbreeding, though. If the resulting offspring would be inbred (regardless of whether it's by this breeding, or a parent that's already inbred), a message would pop up. It would have to be opt in though, from what I've seen from others. I'm even going to start an inbred line, and I still wouldn't be bothered for their once weekly breeding.

i have to disagree with the 'inbreeding' part. inbreeding is looked down upon in this game only by the players; it doesn't result in any negative effects in the actual game. so i don't see why you have to have a warning for it. just be careful when you pick a mate.

on topic, it doesn't bother me if it was implemented. just clicking another "okay i'm sure" button doesn't take that much time. but seriously, people will still make mistakes...it's better to check both dragons' lineages before attempting to breed them; if the offspring is that important, i assume anyone would do that before hand and not need an extra warning to do so.

as for the guy with the ipad or whatever, i know your pain. my phone glitches up sometimes so i refrain from breeding dragons with it. xd.png in that case, this suggestion might help a lot.
PM
Sinister-by-Nature
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 03:13 PM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 181,852

YES, please!

I remember a time when I went to use fertility on a dragon I was using to create a lineage (spent ages finding the correct mate for it, so I was impatient) and accidentally clicked breed (because I was exited about breeding and went into auto-pilot) instead of fertility and ended up breeding it by accident before I noticed I was on breed, not fertility. D= Then had to wait for 7 days for it to breed again, and the pair refused!

So yes, I support this.
PM
hydrargyrum
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 03:34 PM
Quote Post

Level 8

Member No.: 73,392

QUOTE (Sinister-by-Nature @ Apr 12 2012, 03:13 PM)
YES, please!

I remember a time when I went to use fertility on a dragon I was using to create a lineage (spent ages finding the correct mate for it, so I was impatient) and accidentally clicked breed (because I was exited about breeding and went into auto-pilot) instead of fertility and ended up breeding it by accident before I noticed I was on breed, not fertility. D= Then had to wait for 7 days for it to breed again, and the pair refused!

So yes, I support this.

But would an extra pop up really slow you down? It just seems to me that if you're excited enough to click breed instead of fertility, you could click "OK" before you processed that it was for a breeding. Especially if it pops up every time. At that point, clicking "OK" would be totally autopilot, and wouldn't really slow many people down.

I don't think it would really be a bad thing, but I just don't think it would be terribly helpful. A little, definitely, but it wouldn't eliminate the problem.

Edit: I've never tried breeding on anything other than a computer, so I don't know about any issues with iPods or iPads. I could definitely see how this could help with that kind of problem.

This post has been edited by hydrargyrum on Apr 12 2012, 03:37 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Ashywolf
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Ohai TJ09

Member No.: 65,661

I don't see this as an issue. I always check my breeding very carefully and tend to open up the view page of both dragons when on the action page.

I nearly bred the wrong seasonals twice, but luckily I check.
PM
Snowytoshi
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 03:37 PM
Quote Post

It's the same thing as abandoning, killing, BSAs- they might not always help, but they are useful.
PMEmail Poster
angelicdragonpuppy
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 03:57 PM
Quote Post

"My mom says I can't hit girls!" - Jean

Member No.: 7,560

No, no please, not unless it was 100% guaranteed to come with a way to turn it off once it was implemented. I breed like 30+ dragons a week and it would be really annoying to have to go through that pop-up for each one. What with breeding lists already being arranged to show previously-used mates at the top and only a week long penalty if you goof (which really isn't /that/ long, guys), I just don't think it's worth it to make breeding an even slower process than it already is.
PMEmail Poster
fuzzbucket
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 03:57 PM
Quote Post

Last time I looked, I wasn't here.

Member No.: 55,386

QUOTE (hydrargyrum @ Apr 12 2012, 07:53 PM)
Or I supposed if there's any opt in, you could do something like this:
Warn me when I'm about to breed:
Never (default)
Only for inbreeding
Always

NO WARNINGS about inbreeding.

There is nothing WRONG with it.
PMEmail Poster
angelicdragonpuppy
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 04:03 PM
Quote Post

"My mom says I can't hit girls!" - Jean

Member No.: 7,560

QUOTE (fuzzbucket @ Apr 12 2012, 03:57 PM)
NO WARNINGS about inbreeding.

There is nothing WRONG with it.

Technically there is nothing wrong with misbreeding, either, but yet people still want to prevent it.

I'd prefer an anti-inbred warning more than a general breeding warning, honestly. By a lot. And the person who posted that shows it as simply a checkbox style option, so you wouldn't have to use that particular setting if you didn't want to.

An built-in inbred checker is more useful than mere misclick warnings. If you misclick, you already know that dragon isn't the one you want to breed with. Whereas if you're looking to avoid inbreeding, you either have to pull up each dragon's individual lineage to check or use an inbred checker on another site to ascertain you won't cause inbreeding. Pretty annoying.

This post has been edited by angelicdragonpuppy on Apr 12 2012, 04:06 PM
PMEmail Poster
TJ09TJ09TJ09
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 04:05 PM
Quote Post

VP of Gentlemanliness

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I added action verification for breeding once. All of the beta testers were like "lolno."
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topic