sailing101

The Time Travelers' Guild

Today was Simon's 15th birthday, and things were getting out of hand. He had gone to school only to find that his girlfriend had dumped him, he had five missing assignments in history that were due tomorrow, and his math teacher's parrot had eaten his test, which Simon now had to retake. And now he found himself locked out of his house by his father who claimed that he did not know anyone named Simon. Sure that it was another one of his dad's stupid jokes, he got out his cellphone and called his friend Jim.

"Hello?" came Jim's voice through the receiver.

"It's me, Simon," Simon replied, "My dad's playing one of his jokes again and I'll need a place to crash for a while."

"Sorry, you must have the wrong number," Jim said, then hung up.

Simon stared at his phone for a few seconds, then decided that Jim was in on the joke this time around.

Which is why Simon was genuinely supprised when his face was pressed to the hood of a police car while his hands were cuffed behind his back. On the ride over to the station, he was told that he was being arrested for loitering on private property. Once at the station he was taken to the interigoation room and asked his name, only to be told that nobody of the name "Simon Magee" lived in his hometown. The officer then took Simon to a holding cell and left him to gather his thoughts while the police commissioner called the nearest mental institution. Simon looked over at the other occupant of the cell, a tall man wearing a black trench-coat and a white fedora, who was looking intently at him.

Eventually the man spoke. "Let me guess," he said, "It's your fifteenth birthday, the worst day of your short life, and now everyone you knew has forgotten that you exist."

"How did you-?" Simon started to say, but the strange man inturupted.

"Now is not the time for questions, now is the time for us to get going."

"Where can we go?" Simon asked, starting to think that this man was insane as well. "We're locked in!"

The man replied quickly, "Not to worry, I have a key," he then walked to the wall opposite the door, and started to search his pockets.

Now Simon was certain that the man was completely mad, so he was supprised when the man said, "Ah, here we are," pulled out a strange gold key, stuck it in the stone wall without any difficulty, and turned it. There was the sound of a lock clicking open, and an ornate grandfather clock materialized within the wall. The man then opened the door in the front of the clock, which revealed a swirling starscape where the pendulum and inner workings had been.

The man then looked at Sumon once more.

"Well, are you coming?"

==============================================================

Welcome to the Time Travelers' Guild! We are a group of individuals from all across time dedicated to protecting the human race from all sorts of trans-dimensional creatures, ghosts, and thingies. We have happily been accident free for 100-91-16-12 years-months-days-seconds. Follow the hall to your left to receive your rooming assignment, training schedule, key, watch, and spyglass. New member orientation begins five hours ago. If you are not sure how to get there, then ask one of the senior officers, identified by their black trench-coats and white hats.

Now, you may be wondering the following: Why am I here? How did I get here? What will I be doing here? Thinigies? Key? Watch? Spyglass? waitaminite, is that screen reading my thoughts? Get out of my head! AHHHH - Oops, sorry rookie! Ok, where was I?... Oh right! FAQ.

What will you be doing here?

Simple! you will be learning the basics of time travel, ghost hunting and monster fighting, not to mention exploring your unique talents.

Talents? HEY GET OUT O-

Sorry! Sorry. Each one of you has a unique ability that had awakened the moment you crossed the threshold into the guild. You will discover your talent in due time.

How/Why am I here?

You are here because one of your parents is a time traveler. Yes that means your dead parent might not actually be dead, but rather is from 9001 years in the future, or they could just be dead, you never know. For reasons unknown, all time travelers have had every record of their existence erased on their fifteenth birthday. The Time Travelers Guild was formed to provide a home and job for all erased individuals.

Thinigies?

It's just a lump generalization for the creatures that you might find yourself fighting. But don't worry, unless you chose to be a monster hunter, you will not have to fight anything.

Unless you are attacked.

Key? Watch? Spyglass?

These are the tools of the trade. Every Time traveler has a key that allows them to enter the guild from anywhere and anywhen. Just be sure that you don't use it in the presence of a static; that's a non time traveler, rookie; staying out of your thoughts from now on. The watch is a symbol of rank in the guild; the higher your rank, the more your watch can do. Your watch will also allow you to show other guild-members what your job in the guild is. Finally, the spyglass is a device that allows you to track temporal anomalies, specters, and other unseen things. Your spyglass is also upgraded with your rank, though not as frequently.

How is it that you are able to read thoughts if you are just a screen?

Well I'm not just a screen, I am a magic-based artificial consciousness.

OH! I've forgotten to introduce myself >_< . My name is Janus, and I serve as the gatekeeper for the guild. If you have any questions, I'll answer before you even ask them.

One last note, Guildmembers age slower than statics, so someone can be one hundred years old, yet look no older than twenty.

The guild layout.

The guild exists as an endless tower extending from the fires of creation into the unforeseeable future. Of course, only a tiny section is actually inhabited. Each floor represents one year, and each time traveler is assigned a room on the floor of the year that they came from. Every floor also has a gate of time that, when unlocked, opens to the year of the floor that it is on. When traveling to the distant past or future, it is best to take the elevator, as the stairs take an eternity to climb (literally). In the center of each floor lies the Grand Atrium, a vast arena of balconies, one for each year, overlooking the fires of creation. It is best not to lean on the railings, because rookies have fallen over before, and the big bang is a painful thing to experience firsthand. Flowing up from the fires of creation is the timeline, the ethereal representation of the real world within the guild. By observing changes within the timeline, Guild-members can determine how stable the world is at that point in time. The Grand Atrium is also where each floor's gate of time is. When a gate is opened, Janus will select the exact time and place where you will arrive based on your assignment. However, if you don't have a pass from a senior officer, the gates will stay locked. The rest of the rooms surround Grand Atrium and are as follows; north, classroom; east, mess hall; south, training room; west, detention area. The rest of the space is occupied by dorms.

Schedule

Even though time does not pass normally within the guild, all Time Travelers stick to a regular scedule for resting, education, nourishment, and recreation while at the guild. At 7 AM according to their watch, all guild-members wake up and prepare for the 'day.' Breakfast is served at 8, followed by classes from 9 to 11. At 12 noon, lunch is served, followed by physical training exercises from 1 to 3. From then on, guild-members are free to do as they wish. Dinner is served at 6, and at 10 it's lights out.

Class and Rank

Rookie: All newcomers to the guild are rookies right off the bat. They take basic training in all classes until it is determined what it is that they are best at.

Monster Hunter: If a Rookie displays some skill in basic combat, then he or she is promoted to Monster Hunter class. A Monster Hunter's job is to track down potentially dangerous eldrich creatures and, if possible, relocate them to specific reservations. If a monster proves to be to violent, then it will be the Hunter's job to dispose of it.

Clockwork Fighter: If a Rookie displays some skill in basic mechanical engineering, then he or she is promoted to Clockwork Fighter. Clockworks are mechanical beings of unknown origin, and it is the job of a Clockwork Fighter to remove a clockwork before it hurts someone.

Ghosthunter: If a Rookie displays some sensitivity to ethereal entities, then he or she is promoted to Ghosthunter class. It is the job of a Ghosthunter to bring peace to wandering souls, and to banish violent spirits.

Diviner: If a Rookie displays some sensitivity to hidden truths, then he or she is promoted to Diviner class. It is the job of a Diviner to use clairvoyance and foresight to discern logical and usefull information from the thoughtstuff that exists just behind reality.

Beginner level: The beginner level is were all Classes start past Rookie level. Beginner classes also recieve the first level of specialized watches.

Advanced level: After showing significant progress in learning the skills of one's class, a time traveler is promoted to the Advanced level. He or she will also receive an upgraded watch.

Expert level: If a time traveler shows remarkable talent in their class, then he or she will be promoted to Expert level. However, if someone has not discovered their ability yet, then the promotion will be withheld.

Junior Officer: If someone from the expert level shows outstanding achievement within the guild, then their name is put on a list of recommendation for promotion to junior officer. The Guildmaster reviews the list, and decides who gets to take the test that determines whether or not a Guildmember is ready to be a junior officer. Junior officers need to be able to master all classes, in addition to the class that they initaly came from.

Senior Officer: Once a Junior Officer has mastered all classes (This can take a LONG time), they must take one last test. If the Junior Officer passes, then he or she is promoted to Senior Officer. The Senior Officers take their orders directly from the Guildmaster, and are responsible for training the rest of the Guildmembers, as well as finding other time travelers and bringing them to the guild. Senior Officers are also called to duty when something comes up that the lower classes can't handle by themselves.

Guildmaster: There can be only one.

Watches

Rookie's Timepiece: This is the standard wristwatch that every Rookie gets upon coming to the guild. It keeps time, and also allows the holder to briefly pause time with the stopwatch function.

Basic Combat Watch: Upon entering either Monster Hunter or Clockwork Fighter classes, a Guildmember will receive the Basic Combat Watch. This wristwatch has an extra button that turns the watch into a bow that fires arrows of crystallized energy. The exact style varies from person to person.

Advanced Combat Watch: Once a watch is upgraded to the Advanced Combat state, it gains one more button that deploys a sword. Like the bow, the exact style of sword is different from person to person, and the blade is made of crystallized energy. It may also be accompanied by a shield, but not always. The watch also keeps its bow function.

Expert Combat Watch: The Expert combat watch has all the functions of the previous tiers, plus the ability to transform into a unique weapon of the Expert Monster Hunter or Clockwork Fighter's choice.

Basic Ghosthunting Watch: Beginner Ghosthunters will mostly encounter peaceful spirits. Therefore, the Basic Ghosthunting watch casts an aura around its wearer that allows them to communicate with ghosts. Since most peaceful spirits exist simply because they don't realize that they are dead, helping them realize this is the best way to help them.

Advanced Ghosthunting Watch: Since less than peaceful spirits do exist, the Advanced Ghosthunting Watch has a bow function similar to the basic combat watch. However, instead of shooting arrows of crystallized energy, the Ghosthunter's bow fires ethereal matter that can puncture insubstantial entities.

Expert Ghosthunting Watch: Some ghosts, phantoms and poltergeists in particular, take no specific form. The Expert Ghosthunting watch combats this by dispensing grounding staves from the bow. With the right pattern, correct runes, proper chanting, and copious amounts of luck, non-appritional entities can be contained within a limited area, and destroyed if needed.

Basic Divining Watch: All Divining Watches are pocket watches with an extra hand called a Divining hand. The Basic Diving Watch serves as a simple dousing rod. A Diviner thinks of something, and the Divining hand points to face it.

Advanced Divining Watch: Advanced divining watches have a polished crystal that can catch the light and become like a mirror. Within the reflections on the watch's face, an Advanced Diviner can catch vague glimpses of the past, present, future; of thoughts or dreams; things that will be, may be, or could have been; general prophecy figures and such. However, discerning what is genuine from what is tripe is a difficult business.

Expert Divining Watch: The Divining capabilities of an Advanced Divining watch are significantly more advanced than the lower levels. Instead of numbers, around the face are letters and symbols. The divining hand points out specific sequences of words and runes to help the Diviner interpret their Divinations more accurately. (That is, if one is capable of making any sense of the seemingly random witches of the divining hand.)

Officer's Combat Watch: The Officer's Combat Watch has all the functions of the Expert Combat Watch, and the advanced Ghosthunting and Divining Watches.

Officer's Ghosthunting Watch: The Officer's Ghosthunting Watch has all the functions of the Expert Ghosthunting Watch, and the advanced Combat and Divining Watches.

Officer's Divining Watch: Officer's Divining Watch has all the functions of the Expert Divining Watch, and the advanced Combat and Ghosthunting Watches.

Senior Officer's Watch: The Senior Officer's Watch has all the functions of the Expert Combat, Ghosthunting, and Divining Watches.

Guildmaster's Watch: Only the Guildmaster may wield this watch.

Spyglasses

Basic Spyglass: Rookies receive this upon entering the guild. It allows them to see weaker spirits, active wormholes and other, thinly veiled anomalies.

Advanced Spyglass: Upon promotion to Advanced rank, Guildmembers receive the Advanced Spyglass. This Spyglass is much stronger in revealing the unseen, and also has a telescoping feature.

Officer's Spyglass: All Junior Officers have this spyglass. In addition to being able to see more, this spyglass also allows it's user to quick travel by line-of-sight.

Guildmaster's Spyglass: This belongs to the Guildmaster. DO NOT TOUCH.

It was midnight in the guild, and everyone was sleeping save for one man. Senior Officer Gildon Troy crept through the Grand Atrium, doing his best to not make a sound. He approached the Gate of Time, and pulled out a black key. Just as he was about to unlock the gate, he felt a hand fall on his shoulder. Troy spun around to see Simon, the new recruit that he had brought to the guild two weeks ago. Simon had taken well to his new life and was already a Beginner rank Diviner. Simon now had his new Divining Watch out, and the Divining hand was pointed at Troy.

"Officer Troy?" Simon asked "What are you doing up so late?"

Troy crossed his arms. "I might ask the same of you, Simon," he responded.

"I couldn't sleep," Simon explained, "my prediction..."

"Ah, that again," Troy whispered; he seemed troubled for a moment, then said, "I'm afraid you are right, the guild is in danger, facing distruction."

Simon paled. "But surely that would also mean..."

"The end of all time," Troy concluded, "or perhaps, a new begining."

"What do you mean?" Simon asked. In his hand, the Divining watch twitched, and the Divining hand swung around to point at the black key in Troy's hand. "Troy, what is that?" Simon asked.

"I'm sorry, Simon," Troy said. He then took a step forward.

Simon felt something strike him, then pain blossomed in his chest and back. He looked down to see Troy's sword embedded in his chest.

Simon tried to speak, to cry out for help, but he couldn't make a sound. As Troy pulled the weapon back out, Simon slumped against the railing. His watch fell from numb fingers, the Divining hand spinning wildly. Through vision blurred by pain, Simon saw Troy unlock the Gate of Time, and open it. Grunting with the effort, Simon pulled himself back up. Dizziness struck him then, and Simon knew that he had lost too much blood. As the grinding sound of thousands of gears met his ears, Simon saw Troy look at him once more.

"This will be a new world," Troy said calmly, "I am sorry you won't be able to see it."

As Troy walked through the gate, Simon felt the world pitch about him. He was falling, and then he knew no more.

Edited by sailing101

Link to the OOC thread

Rules:

1) No: power playing, g-modding, flaming, spaming, trolling, or acting stupid in general.

2) No Mary/Gary Stus. Nobody is perfect. Nobody.

3) Keep romance to a minimum; I will alow some flirting, but no gooey honeyed mush. Keep things serious.

4) Try to use minimal detail describing injuries. (Minimal blood, no gore.)

5) Standard forum rules still apply here.

6) I reserve the right to ban players from this RP if they do not comply to these rules.

7) This is a semi literate RP, and I will take no excuses for lazy posting.

Character Form

Fill this out and PM it to me to apply for a part in this RP. You may have up to three characters.

[B]Username:[/B]
[B]Character Name:[/B]
[B]Gender:[/B]
[B]Age:[/B]
[B]Rank:[/B]
[B]Class:[/B]
[B]Ability:[/B] (limit; one)
[B]Appearance:[/B]
[B]Personality:[/B]
[B]Other information:[/B] (Can be anything you wish to add)
[B]Sample post:[/B] (This lets me evaluate your literacy level, and it won't be seen by everyone, so you don't have to worry about embarising yourself.)

90% of this RP Was written on an I-pod touch. biggrin.gif Take that, autocowreck. tongue.gif

Approved characters:

Username: sailing101

Character Name: Gildon Troy

Class: Clockwork fighter.

Ability: Troy can move faster than the eye can follow. If anyone were to watch Troy when he uses his ability, they will only see his form flicker and disappear, only to reappear somewhere else. Troy has confirmed that this is indeed superspeed, and not teleportation, as he cannot exit a room without opening the door first.

Appearance: Like all senior officers, Troy wears a black trenchcoat and white fedora. His height is six feet. Troy has bright green eyes, and green shoulder length hair, although it is hard to see his hair under his hat. He wears his watch on his right hand.

Personality: Troy is a very cautious individual. He won't take action unless he can guarentee an outcome in his favor. He is also an Introvert, preferring isolation over socialization. This has given Troy a reputation for being a loner, but he still prefers to work with a team.

Other Information: His hair turned green due to a prank involving a bucket of bleach, and an angry flying monkey. Afterwards, he decided that he rather liked his new look.

Troy's sword is unique in that it stays attached to his watch when activated. This, combined with his speed, gives him a unique fighting style that is difficult to counter.

Troy has recently dissapeared, and no one knows where he could have gone.

Character Name: Elizabeth Troy (Call her Liz)

Class: Ghosthunter

Ability: Liz can see through nearly any illusion, and so she rarely, if ever has to use her spyglass.

Appearance: Despite her age, Liz still has the appearance of a teenager. However, her hair is prematurely silver, as well as her eyes, because frequent contact with spirits can drain the color from a person. She wears a simple black dress with grey lace. Her height is four foot, eleven inches.

Personality: One's first impression Of Liz would be to se her as cold and distant. However, this due to the fact that she can remember the face of every ghost she has put to rest. She often wonders if se is doing the right thing, as some ghosts are afraid of her, while some of the more violent ones curse her for being a witch. However, the ghosts who go peacefully do their best to reassure her in return for helping them move on. Once you get to know her, you will see that Liz is actually very cheerful; bubbly even. At the guild, she has found the freedom to express herself, something that girls in the middle ages could never do, and is certain to speak her mind on matters she considers to be of interest.

Other information: Liz and her brother Gildon came from a small feudal village that would won day be known as Paris france. After coming to the guild, she learned that her mother came from a time more than five thousand years in the future, and had been stranded in the past after loosing her key. Time travel can get censorkip.gif ed up sometimes, such as When Liz discovered that her younger brother had come to the guild before her, and was now her older brother who couldn't remember her existence.

Character Name: Tom Gemini

Class: Not yet discovered

Ability: Not yet discovered

Appearance: Tom is four feet tall, with dirty blond hair. His eyes seem to change colors depending on the light. Tom wears a simple white cotton shirt and brown cotton pants with a rope for a belt, he refuses to wear shoes.

Personality: Tom is not one to speak much, but he is very intelligent. he is also terrifiied of clockworks, which may have something to do with his memory loss.

Other information: Tom Gemini is an interesting case. He appeared one day in front of the Gate of Time, year 1000 bc, with no memory of who he was. It was descided that he would be trained like any other Rookie, and the senior officers would keep sn eye on him in case his memory were ever to return.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Username: Silver_Voices

Character Name: Matthew Saunders

Class: Monster Hunter

Ability: Matthew is able to transform into any other person. But only if they are human/have a human form. Usually it's only a replica of someone else, but he can 'design' his own image, if he spends a lot of time working on it. The effort is in the transformation, but once he's changed he can hold the image for as long as he likes. He doesn't 'automatically' transform back into his first appearance, but he has to focus on the image each time he changes. So, really, he can't change 'back', just again.

Appearance: This is his natural appearance, though, after he discovered his ability, he was almost always in this form.

Personality: Matthew is one of those 'out there' people. Usually in his own world and doing whatever feels right, regardless of what other people feel or think towards him. Though, he's also very stubborn. Once he's settled on something it's almost impossible to change his mind.

Other information: Matthew and Emily's mother is the time traveler.

He changed his default appearance because he felt like his past self had been completely erased, so he figured he would start from scratch and make a whole new person for himself. Even the image of the 'old' Matthew had to be changed. When his half sister joined the guild, he deemed himself sick for the day and sat in his dorm, in his original form, quiet and quite unlike himself. By the next day, he was looking normal and acting normal.

Username: Silver_Voices

Character Name: Emily Saunders

Class: Not yet discovered

Ability: Not yet discovered

Appearance: Here.

Personality: Emily is a very 'go with the flow' kind of person. She wants to fit in more than anything. She probably won't let you know if she disagrees with you, and if everyone else agrees, she'll just go along with the crowd. She can be easily swayed in her decisions if she's pressured. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, considering what you're asking of her. It doesn't matter to her if it's against her moral standings if everyone else is doing it.

Other information: Emily took fencing classes from junior high through high school, so she knows the basics of combat with a sword.

Also, Matthew is her half brother, though she has no memory of him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Username: Lore Master

Character Name: Nathan Alexander Briggs

Class: Clockwork Fighter

Ability: Nathan's life around clocks has allowed him to see how things work... and see how very little something can take before being completely destroyed. Nathan can see the critical weaknesses of any non-living structure, which is very useful for disabling or destroying the monsters he fights.

Appearance: Nathan has rather short, chestnut-colored hair. Beneath the small glasses on his face, you can see his brown eyes. He is around average height for someone in his era, 5'8. For clothing, he wear a nice set of brown leather and cloth, allowing him comfort and durability.

Personality: Nathan has retained some of the mannerisms of Victorian Era London. He is courteous around women, lending a hand if they need assistance. He is also a bit of a quick learner, which has worked in his favor after realizing some people from other eras tend to see his mannerisms in a negative light. He is very bookish, and prefers solitude compared to being social.

Other information: Nathan was a natural fit for the Clockwork Fighter ranks, since he was born to a couple who ran a clock shop in the Victorian Era.

Username: Alenaria

Character Name: Rachel 'Chel' Murray

Ability: She has night-vision. This comes in very handy in her class's line of work, and she's quite proud of it. Very little can escape her.

Appearance: Straight, black shoulder-length hair, with blue-green eyes set in an angular face. She's somewhere between bronze and tan skin-tone-wise, and almost has an air of felinity about her.

Personality: She's very self-assured and confident. Most would say she was proud and cocky, but she pays them no notice. They're just jealous of her skills.

Other information: She was an orphan girl, and she never knew either parent. She told herself stories when she was a little girl- that her mommy and daddy were the king and queen of a distant planet, and that they would come for their missing princess one day. A part of her belived this, and so she grew to belive she was the best and deserved the best. It really wasn't so hard, once she started this whole time-traveler gig and showed a bit of combat ability, to change her fantasy backstory and blow everything up entirely out of prorporiton. Deep down, she feels like she's unwanted and defective, so she holds herself up on these fantsies to hide from what she sees as the truth about herself.

Username: Coralkiki

Character Name: Freya Sofie Berg

Class: Ghost hunter

Ability: She can communicate with animals.

Appearance: Pin-straight, light-brown hair that reaches about her mid-back. It usually hangs loose, though she tends to braid it before going out on . Her eyes are wide set, icy-blue and framed with long eye-lashes. Her skin has the typical northern-European paleness, and apart from a large star-shaped scar on her left arm and anote tattoo behind her right ear. She’s tall and slender and usually seen in a pair of jeans and various fashionable tops. She seems to somewhat send out a calm aura, which gives her a somewhat angelic appearance.

Personality: Generally very quiet and calm, and it takes quite a bit of work to make her mad. She can give some very mean remarks when upset, using her creativity and wit to think of new ways to insult people. Though most people picture Freya as quite the angel-child, she can be quite reckless and adventurous when she wants to.

Other information: Freya lived in eastern Norway until she was ten and her family moved to San Diego. She speaks fluent English and Norwegian, and on top of that, knows a fair bit Spanish. Her name is Norwegian, and she tends to cringe at the way people pronounce her name, especially her middle and surname.

Username: Coralkiki

Character Name: Lucia Lolita Carmen del Corazón Garcia Moreno

Class: Not yet Discovered

Ability: Not yet Discovered

Appearance: Lucia’s hair is thick, dark brown, wavy and falls to about her shoulder blades. It’s usually put up in a pony-tail, or any other form of hair style that is simple and at the same time keeps hair away from her face. Her eyes a warm and brown, and her nose and cheeks are sprinkled with freckles. She has an athletic figure which she rather likes, though she is shorter than she wishes to be. She’s hardly ever seen in anything else than jeans and a brightly coloured t-shirt, unless she’s working out.

Personality: Energetic, honest, sarcastic and optimistic. Lucia’s always on the move, and quite often smiling. She has quite the temper, and it’s not too unusual to find her in a fight, especially since she’s so protective of her friends.

Other information: She’s part Colombian, hence the long name wink.gif Other than that… She’s an excellent fighter, and one of the best kick-boxers you can find.

Username: Saikachan (Saika's fine)

Character Name: Elyse August Hertz

Class: Clockwork Fighter

Ability: She has the ability to remember how every single one of the mechanical devices she has seen are made, and thus she can make them as long as she has the proper materials, or something to replace the proper materials with. This isn't discovered yet, however, as she believes this normal and doesn't think anything of it.

Appearance: [x] – Without the headphones, although she does come from an era where they are used.

Personality:

Being the tomboy that she is, Elyse August Hertz prefers to introduce herself simply as August or August Hertz, as she believes her first given name makes her seem like “some naïve, innocent, little girl whose greatest hobby is to play dress-up with her dolls” and that “the only reason that the woman who called herself my mother named me something as ridiculous as Elyse is that she herself was a sparkly, pink-obsessed shopaholic who wanted her poor daughter to share her unhealthy love for materialistic happiness.” Needless to say, August did not want to share that love.

As a person, August has a strong sense of justice and won't hesitate to speak up if she believes something is unfair, or if she thinks that something could be done differently for a better outcome. She does know that the world isn't always fair and that things might not get better even if one tries one's best, but that doesn't stop her from trying anyway; “If you're not even gonna try, you've already lost, you moron.” She also understands that it sometimes might be necessary to do underhanded things to reach a goal, but that doesn't stop her from sulking - “I don't sulk!” - when she has to do it.

August gives her all no matter what she is doing, but if she could choose she would no doubt spend her time with all kinds of mechanical machines, repairing, modifying, and perfecting them to the best of her ability. Before she came to the guild, most of her time was spent in an auto repair shop, watching and sometimes helping with the repairs (both very much to the annoyance of her mother). When she came to the guild she was quickly picked out as a Clockwork Fighter, to her extreme delight.

Other information: August's father was the time traveller, but in her case he really did die in a car accident when she was five.

Username: Monkeyboy225

Character Name: Zane Filger

Class: Diviner

Ability: Zane has the ability to recall any information he has gathered from divining or from experiences.

Appearance: http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h326/m...y226/824097.jpg

Personality: Zane doesn't like to take anything serious and would rather goof off than do what he's told. He also seems detacted from reality and the only thing that seems to keep him slightly grounded in reality is his twin sister who acts like his older sister. When talking to him, he may seem distant but in reality he is absorbing everything you may be saying as well as taking in all of his surroundings.

Other information: Zane doesn't like to be seperated from his sister who acts like his protector.

Username: Monkeyboy225

Character Name: Zoey Filger

Ability: Her skin is tougher than the average person which helps her do her job as it is harder for her to take damage from creatures.

Appearance: http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h326/m...y226/824097.jpg

Personality: Zoey acts tougher than she actually is so that she can appear tough for her brother who doesn't like to deal with anything. She always protected him as a child which toughened her up and made her more down to earth. She can sometimes be very single-minded when she has an objective that she wants to accomplish and to the best of her abilities nothing will stop her from finishing her goals.

Other information: She would perfer to stay with her brother whenever possible as she feels he'll just get in trouble if she leaves him alone.

Username: RainDash

Character Name: Lyra

Class: N/A

Ability: Not discovered

Appearance: She looks younger than she is, but often keeps her black hair cropped short. Her eyes are a bright blue, often lending to sense she sees more than she lets on. She is often seen wearing goggles and a black jacket.

Personality: Lyra has some quirks, like the fact she can't stand it when something cannot be explained in a simple manner. Time travel for example. She is fascinated by the idea of clockworks and their mannerisms, especially by the levels of sentience.

Edited by sailing101

Great! Approved.

Have fun roleplaying. smile.gif

Liz was in the training room when the alert came.

The diviners have recently pinpointed a disturbance near one of the monster reservations in 1801. One of the Gryphons there is acting abnormally, as if bothered by an unseen presence. Guildmembers Liz, Freya, Chel, and Matthew are requested to meet in the grand atrium, floor 1801 AD. This may also be a good opportunity for a visual demonstration, so any Rookies may come along if they wish. Finally, an unusual clockwork has been sighted near the reservation, so Guildmembers Nathan and Elyse are requested to come as well. That will be all for now.

Liz closed her eyes, then released the bowstring that she had ben holding on to. The ghost arrow flew the length of the archery range and passed through the center of the target. She then lowered her longbow, which folded itself back into her watch, and left the training room.

Edited by sailing101

Matthew looked up at the speakers as he listened to the announcement. He sighed as he heard his name called. He really didn't feel like doing anything at the moment. His interest was perked though, as he heard the invitation for rookies to join them. He jumped up from his bed in the dorm. As he was about to leave he glanced at the mirror to make sure he hadn't accidentally shifted while he was lost in thought. He had been doing that recently, for some reason. He picked up his tools and headed towards the grand atrium.

---

Emily was out on the balcony when she decided to go watch the monster hunters deal with the gryphon. She was still a rookie and undecided as to what she might do. She hadn't even discovered her talent yet. She went to the elevator and pressed the call button, waiting for the car to stop at her floor.

Inside Nathan's candle lit room, Nathan was reading the latest publication by Doc. Guntherberg on the theory of micro-sentient organisms. It was a rather interesting read, even if the man had one too many screws loose. When the announcement came on, Nathan heard his name being called to handle a clockwork. It must be a minor problem, since he was in the Advance Class. He merely placed a bookmark on the page he last read and closed the book. He grabbed the brown, leather satchel hanging from his chair. It contained his spyglass, as well as a 'field kit' he assembled himself. Three notebooks and a set of pencils, to take notes on any new variation of clockworks he had already dealt with. Two small flasks of Molasses, to gum up the gears and slow a clockwork, small magnets from the 21 century, to pin down a clockwork, a small first aid kit and leafs for tea time.

Once he got the satchel over his neck and around his body, he left his room and made his way to the elevator, he didn't feel like going down fifty flights to stairs today.

Edited by Lore_Master

”Hey, it’s Lu.” “Lu?” “Yeah, Lu. Lucia Lolita. You know, cute little Colombian girl who totally kicks your butt in Clue?” “Yeah, I’m sorry, I don’t know a Lu. You must have dialed wrong or something.” Click. “Well that… was nice.”

Lucia sighed at the memory, thinking back to the earlier moments of the day. Brilliant way to start your quinsañera, having your entire existence erased. Not to mention all the other things that went wrong that day… On the plus side, she had gotten a cool new watch. And she had been told she had some fancy ability, like she was a superhero of some sort. And the fact that her mother might actually be alive…

“The diviners have recently pinpointed a disturbance near one of the monster reservations in 1801. One of the Gryphons there is acting abnormally, as if bothered by an unseen presence. Guildmembers Liz, Freya, Chel, and Matthew are requested to meet in the grand atrium, floor 1801 AD. This may also be a good opportunity for a visual demonstration, so any Rookies may come along if they wish. Finally, an unusual clockwork has been sighted near the reservation, so Guildmembers Nathan and Elyse are requested to come as well. That will be all for now.

Lucia left memorial lane, to somehow manage to find her way to the grand autrium in 1801. She played with her hair as she walked, asking the occasional person for directions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Freya sat on the balcony, alternating between staring out into the timeline and finishing her sketch. A small white and black hamster was sitting beside her, seemingly enjoying Freya’s humming as the girl sat and sketched. How the hamster had entered the guild was a mystery, but Freya just assumed it had followed her after a mission. It was known to have happened before.

“ The diviners have recently pinpointed a disturbance near one of the monster reservations in 1801. One of the Gryphons there is acting abnormally, as if bothered by an unseen presence. Guildmembers Liz, Freya, Chel, and Matthew are requested to meet in the grand atrium, floor 1801 AD. This may also be a good opportunity for a visual demonstration, so any Rookies may come along if they wish. Finally, an unusual clockwork has been sighted near the reservation, so Guildmembers Nathan and Elyse are requested to come as well. That will be all for now..

That would be my queue… Freya stood up and put her sketching equipment back in her messenger bag. Rummaging through her bag, Freya eventually found a hair elastic, and she began to braid her hair as she walked to the elevator.

Edited by coralkiki

((*ahem* The post was edited. Your character is called along with Liz, Chel, and Matthew.))

((*ahem* The post was edited. Your character is called along with Liz, Chel, and Matthew.))

((Thanks, I didn't notice that >.<))

"Come on... It has to be here somewhere..." Mumbling to herself, August ran her hand tiredly through her hair. She'd probably looked for that blasted set screw for more than twenty minutes now. Yes, she knew her room was messy with bits and pieces of unfinished mechanical contraptions, several different tools, some machine parts she couldn't live without, and the occasional rubber band laying around, but still! How hard could it be to find one damn set screw? She needed that to finish, for Gods sake!

Spying something shiny beneath her small coffee table (Yes, it was a coffee table even if it was buried beneath incoherent notes and strange drawings) she bowed down in an attempt to see what it was. Could it be... Finally! It was about bloody time she found that stupidly necessary screw! Letting out a sigh of relief, she lowered herself to the floor and proceeded to crawl beneath the table. She was going to get that screw, and she was getting it now!

"The diviners have recently pinpointed a disturbance..." Thud! "Dammit!" Scowling and rubbing her head, the red-headed girl came crawling out from beneath the table. "Why does those alerts have to be so goddamn abrupt?" Giving her poor head a final rub, she turned back to the contraption she had been working on, only paying half a mind to the alert. She'd found the set screw before she hit her head, so at least she'd accomplished something... "...Guildmembers Nathan and Elyse are requested to come as well. That will be all for now."

...Wait, what? Staring up at the ceiling as if that would magically make the announcement come again, she frowned. It had said something about her, she was pretty sure, but she couldn't remember hearing her name... Or, wait. ...Guildmembers Nathan and Elyse are requested... "My name is August!" Scowling she threw the set screw down on the table, not staying long enough to watch it fall down to the floor again. So... Even though she'd only been partly listening, she was pretty sure that the only year mentioned had been 1801 AD. "And down a full two-hundred-and-twenty-four years we go..."

Edited by Saikachan

Chel looked up from her homework at the sound of the announcment. Well, at least they used my nickname this time, she thought. Closing the textbook she'd been studying since lunch, she rolled off her bed, stood, and stretched. Flicking her hair out of her face, she smiled at her watch. It was still a mark of her beginner level, but she'd grown a bit attatched to it. Whistling to herself, she kicked the bow out and watched it sparkle in the lamplight.

With a start, she realized she had at least two-hundred floors to go down, and not a lot of time to do it. Hurriedly, she folded the bow back up into her watch and dashed out the door.

Edited by Alenaria

((As a beginner, Chel does not yet have a sword, just a bow))

Liz was the first to make it to the Gate of Time, giving her mind time to wander. It was two weeks since her brother, Gildon, had dissapeared. None of the diviners could find him, or the other boy, Simon, and she was begining to worry.

"Brooding about it won't help," said Janus.

"Are eavesdropping and relaying announcements the only things you can do?" Liz replyed.

"I wasn't programmed to ignore problems like this, Liz. Gildon is a Senior Officer, he can take care of himself."

"But he's not on a mission, Janus, you should know that."

"Just give him time, he'll turn up eventually." Janus said reassuringly, but Liz was no longer listining.

Edited by sailing101

((Sorry, got things backwards. I'll go edit.))

Leaping down the stairs at full speed, Chel dodged back and forth as she avoided- or tried to avoid -other students on the stairs. "'Scuze me, pardon, headed down to 1801," she called, shoving past as the resistance got thicker. Steaming with frustration- didn't these moronic twits realize who she was?! -she wedged her shoulders in between and in amongst clumps and crowds, doing everything short of biting or throwing people over the side to get through.

As the elevator when down fifty or so floors, Nathan used that time to pull out a notebook, along with a pencil. He wasn't ready to rule out the possibility of the clockwork being nothing more then a flawed copy of an already known model. Sometimes parts were either too small, or weren't the right shapes, which could cause a clockwork to either have a 'jittery' motion or make 'scraping' noises whenever it moved. When the doors opened to the floor 1801, Nathan calmly made his way to the reservation. He wasn't the first to get there, one young women managed to get there first. And there was Janus, the ever vigilant machine gatekeeper. "Hello Janus, what sort of clockwork are me and Elyse dealing with?" Asked Nathan as he looked at the screen.

Chel stopped suddenly, nearly smacking herself in the face for her stupidity. You moron, she berated herself, there's a freaking elevator! Pushing through the crowd, she ran towards the elevator-

-And got there just as the doors shut. "Oh, come on," she moaned, smashing the heel of her hand against the button. Moments later, the doors slid open again, and Chel dove inside. It was empty, save for a very frightened Rookie boy, who looked like he could lose an arm-wrestling competition with a kitten. Chel nodded a greeting, and hit the button for floor 1801. A low sigh of relief escaped her throat as the elevator shot downward.

Emily stood awkwardly by a brown haired young man. No matter what she tried to say, he wouldn't respond with more than a couple words. It seemed like he didn't think much of her, or just plain didn't like her. She tapped her foot, waiting for the elevator. The doors opened and she quickly took her place in the far corner. After she situated herself, she noticed Chel and another rookie in the little car.

---

Matthew sighed. He wasn't sure what to say to Emily. She kept trying to start a conversation, but he wasn't able to speak to her without remembering his old self, which shouldn't even exist any more. No, the past Matthew Saunders only existed in his head.

He looked up at the elevator doors opened. Emily quickly scooted inside and took her usual place in the corner. He slowly stepped in after her, then nodded to Chel, acknowledging her presence. He pressed the 'close doors' button and watched them slowly slide shut. Clearing his throat, he directed a question to Chel. "What exactly do you think we're dealing with?"

Chel shrugged. "I don't know. I kind of hope it's something we haven't seen before; something big. Something that'll actually be a challenge," she added with a toss of her head. "What do you think?"

"Hello Janus, what sort of clockwork are me and Elyse dealing with?" Asked Nathan as he looked at the screen.

"Well, for starters, the clockwork is equipped with an unusual device, the function of which is unknown," Janus replyed.

An image showing what looked like a cluster of trumpets stuck to a bronze sphere covered in glyphs flashed on the screen. "Hopefully you will be able to determin the function of this device.

"Hang on," Liz cut in, "Some of those look like containment runes,"

She pressed a button on her watch, and released her longbow. Liz then pressed the catch, and a two meter long stave slid from the bow.

Liz held the rune on the tail of the stave up to the screen. It wasn't long before she had found a matching rune on the picture.

"What would a Clockwork be doing with Ghosthunting runes?" Lis wondered out loud.

Chel shrugged. "I don't know. I kind of hope it's something we haven't seen before; something big. Something that'll actually be a challenge," she added with a toss of her head. "What do you think?"

Matthew nodded, though not entirely listening. "Yeah, something new would be nice." He glanced back at the two other rookies in the elevator then back at the doors in front of him. "Who knows?" he teased. "Maybe it will finally be the job where you graduate to the advanced level."

Nathan stared long and hard at the picture of the clockwork, any theory regarding the clockwork being nothing more then a flawed copy was no longer valid. It appeared to be a bronze sphere, with a cluster of trumpets attached to its body. He was about to comment when the woman, Liz began to do something with her device. A couple of glyphs appeared, matching the ones that the clockwork had. When she was finished, he began to speak.

"Its rather strange, judging from the image... its probably has class two sentience, but the runes suggest it was designed by something with class twelve sentience." Spoke Nathan, one of the first things he learned about clockwork monsters was that they had varying levels of sentience. Class zero meant it was pretty much like a clock, with just one purpose with no life of its own. A class twelve was bad news, it was a clockwork that could either out perform, or outsmart an average human being. A normal, run of the mill clockwork man normally has class eight sentience, with variations. The worst was a class fifteen, a being that could easily be compared to a demi-god, if not full on godhood.

“Did I hear someone say runes?” Freya said, walking over to Liz and Nathan, beginning to examine the picture Janus was showing. She was still braiding her hair, as most of her trip to the grand atrium had been spent trying to convince the hamster to either let her go alone to her mission, or to do something practical. He chose to hitch a ride on her shoe, which honestly was a tad bit annoying. It made walking more difficult.

“Containment runes?” Freya asked, arching an eyebrow and looking questioningly at Liz. Freya had long had a fascination for runes and they were her specialty, but at the same time, Liz was older and more experienced. She might know more about why there were runes on a clockwork. Nathan spoke and Freya turned her attention to him. “Bad news?” She asked, still not too sure how the clockwork fighters classified the clockwork. But there was quite a gap between two and twelve, which usually meant they were inn for a challenge.

"Containment runes are words of power that bind and trap spirits within their perimeter," Liz explained. She held out the stave for Freya to see. The stave was a meter-long shaft of silver metal with a spear head at one end, and a flat tail on the other. A curling symbol was etched on the front side of the tail. "You will learn more about containment channeling and summoning runes, and how to use them to make a nexus when you are promoted to expert class."

Lis slid the tail of the stave into a slot of her watch, and it was pulled out of sight. Her bow then folded away as well.

"A nexus is usually used to trap entities of classes ten and up, as in those that no longer need to imitate a physical form." Like Clockworks, Ghosts has classes from zero to fifteen. A class zero ghost is the soul of someone who simply didn't know that they were dead, while class fifteen spirits were multi dimensional inhuman entities that were often worshiped by ancient cultures; most notably in greece, egypt, and south america.

"Greetings Freya" Said Nathan as he bowed his head slightly in her direction. He waited for a bit as he listened to Liz explain the containment system to Freya. When she was done, he gave a light cough to indicate he was ready to speak. "It is rather bad news. Class twelve clockworks have enough mental capacity to make clockworks up to class eight, and sometimes even add modifications, like what we see on the screen. What worries me is how a class twelve clockwork could even place those runes on, crude as they are..." Nathan said, only to lower his voice to a mutter, he began to pace back and forth as he thinked.