Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest, Please Read This.
! Welcome to the Dragon Cave Forums! If you aren't sure what to do, here are a list of recommended locations:

Board Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Edit Your Profile
Search the Forum

Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts.

Pages: (13) « First ... 11 12 [13]  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Accessibility Option for Eggs, Changing this to be more accessible

Which style do you like best? (1st post)
stogucheme's- con: black text on colors is hard to read [ 9 ]  [10.34%]
olympe's- con: this will give people more click space and possibly an unfair advantage [ 42 ]  [48.28%]
Thuban's- con: the writing is small and hard to see [ 22 ]  [25.29%]
skinst's- con: people wouldn't be able to search by the eggs' patterns [ 14 ]  [16.09%]
Total Votes: 87
Guests cannot vote 
Layn
Posted on Apr 17 2012, 06:28 PM
Quote Post

Eevees are awesome!

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,094

That still doesn't say why DC should encourage cheating.

In DC's case, "Meaningful alternate text" is a fancy name for "helping people write a script to auto refresh and click on any link with a picture whose alt text contains such and such a phrase"

The lack of the meaningful alternate text is what prevents scripting.

This post has been edited by Layn on Apr 17 2012, 06:31 PM
PMEmail PosterMSN
Princess Artemis
Posted on Apr 17 2012, 07:00 PM
Quote Post

Level 11

Member No.: 41,277

QUOTE (Layn @ Apr 17 2012, 03:28 PM)
That still doesn't say why DC should encourage cheating.

In DC's case, "Meaningful alternate text" is a fancy name for "helping people write a script to auto refresh and click on any link with a picture whose alt text contains such and such a phrase"

The lack of the meaningful alternate text is what prevents scripting.

This really is like saying that putting in handicapped buttons on doors is encouraging shoplifting.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Layn
Posted on Apr 17 2012, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Eevees are awesome!

Member No.: 9,094

Not really, since the handicapped buttons on doors don't open them if the door is locked.

And they don't really make it any easier for a shoplifter to leave a store.

Now, cutting a giant hole in a wall, with no security cameras nearby... THAT would encourage shoplifting...

This post has been edited by Layn on Apr 17 2012, 07:18 PM
PMEmail PosterMSN
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted on Apr 17 2012, 07:31 PM
Quote Post

Wednesday has been canceled due to a scheduling potato.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 7,406

I agree. There is no reason to not help players who are colorblind or using a screenreader just because some are afraid of cheating.

People already have ways to cheat.

We have ways to catch and stop them.

That's just how life is.

stoug - I feel like I found the gold faster with the words, as I am not good with abbreviations, though the test would work better if all the eggs weren't in the same spot.
Also, if you'll look at the spreadsheet, I added shorthand quite a while ago - longer than abbreviates but doesn't mean putting the whole word up, which is what I originally suggested.
PMEmail Poster
fuzzbucket
Posted on Apr 18 2012, 04:12 AM
Quote Post

Last time I looked, I wasn't here.

Member No.: 55,386

QUOTE (Layn @ Apr 18 2012, 12:18 AM)
Not really, since the handicapped buttons on doors don't open them if the door is locked.

And they don't really make it any easier for a shoplifter to leave a store.

Now, cutting a giant hole in a wall, with no security cameras nearby... THAT would encourage shoplifting...

And adding letters to eggs is HARDLY comparable. Socky's right. People WILL cheat. Whatever the pages are like, they will find a way. This isn't going to make MORE people cheat, and it IS going to allow a load of new players to join in.

And I wouldn't put it past TJ to be able to outscript them.

I found the words easier too, though I PREFER the acyronyms. I know - I don't make sense. Never did...
PMEmail Poster
stogucheme
Posted on Apr 18 2012, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Level 9

Member No.: 72,765

QUOTE (SockPuppet Strangler @ Apr 17 2012, 06:31 PM)
I agree. There is no reason to not help players who are colorblind or using a screenreader just because some are afraid of cheating.

People already have ways to cheat.

We have ways to catch and stop them.

That's just how life is.

stoug - I feel like I found the gold faster with the words, as I am not good with abbreviations, though the test would work better if all the eggs weren't in the same spot.
Also, if you'll look at the spreadsheet, I added shorthand quite a while ago - longer than abbreviates but doesn't mean putting the whole word up, which is what I originally suggested.

THANK YOU SOCK. Thank you so much.

Regarding the acronym v. letter thing...would it be too much trouble for T.J. to code both? It'd solve our problem nicely, I think.
Your shorthand...I'm biased. I like mine best. (Though I do agree with allowing 3-4 letter acronyms.)
PMUsers Website
Shokomon
Posted on Apr 18 2012, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Level 7

Member No.: 67,189

After the current pool is closed, can there be a second poll asking for acronyms versus shorthand (letters is too vague)? I feel like employing both would be impractical and a lot of work TJ. I wish we could do a pool on the dragcave site itself. That would be much more accurate measure of the population of Dragon Cave.
Princess Artemis
Posted on Apr 18 2012, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Level 11

Member No.: 41,277

QUOTE (stogucheme @ Apr 18 2012, 07:07 AM)
THANK YOU SOCK. Thank you so much.

Regarding the acronym v. letter thing...would it be too much trouble for T.J. to code both? It'd solve our problem nicely, I think.
Your shorthand...I'm biased. I like mine best. (Though I do agree with allowing 3-4 letter acronyms.)

Shorthand is legit English, so I'd favor it over acronyms etc., simply because if someone knows shorthand already, it would be a breeze, and if they don't, it's not hard to learn to read.

I like Sock's shorthand best; it's the best of both worlds.

Also, re: comments on the Google doc, yes, you do need an acronym for NDs and GoNs, because despite how utterly rare (or impossible) they are to find in the AP, this is not just for the AP. This is for Teleport (which NDs certainly do spend time in!) and for the scroll (which NDs and GoNs spend time on), and for anywhere else on DC an egg (or hatchie, I'd argue, for screen readers) shows up.

I'd suggest ND and GoN for them, since ND is actually that dragon's most common accepted name (it has no official name) and GoN is what most people on the forum call Guardians of Nature.
stogucheme
Posted on Apr 18 2012, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Level 9

QUOTE (Princess Artemis @ Apr 18 2012, 10:28 AM)
Shorthand is legit English, so I'd favor it over acronyms etc., simply because if someone knows shorthand already, it would be a breeze, and if they don't, it's not hard to learn to read.

I like Sock's shorthand best; it's the best of both worlds.

Also, re: comments on the Google doc, yes, you do need an acronym for NDs and GoNs, because despite how utterly rare (or impossible) they are to find in the AP, this is not just for the AP. This is for Teleport (which NDs certainly do spend time in!) and for the scroll (which NDs and GoNs spend time on), and for anywhere else on DC an egg (or hatchie, I'd argue, for screen readers) shows up.

I'd suggest ND and GoN for them, since ND is actually that dragon's most common accepted name (it has no official name) and GoN is what most people on the forum call Guardians of Nature.

The only problem is that they're too similar in some aspects. Here's the doc in case anyone lost it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key...RYeUNvc0E#gid=0
Like...the dinos. It's still easier to catch them with images than with text because they're too similar. Anyway, I've added my alts to Sock's thing to the doc.

I definitely agree with you, PA, that we need GoNs and NDs to be added as well.
PMUsers Website
Shokomon
Posted on Apr 23 2012, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

Level 7

So...solutions anyone? I got nothing.
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted on Apr 23 2012, 12:09 PM
Quote Post

Wednesday has been canceled due to a scheduling potato.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 7,406

The good thing about the AP is that you can abandon it again right away. So someone using the text reflex clicks the wrong dino? Those of us who wouldn't be using the text already do this, anyway. No big deal.

I don't actually really care which shorthand gets used, I just don't want to see longer shorthand discredited right off the bat, since I do think it's something viable and workable and there's no reason to really discredit it without much thought. ^^
PMEmail Poster
olympe
Posted on Apr 24 2012, 07:12 AM
Quote Post

IOU Trader

Member No.: 49,835

Maybe we could have alterante shorthands, like Socks, one of the abbreviation thingies and one custom for people to make up for themselves if they so desire?

@Sock: I do like what you did with most breeds, but I feel that the stripes are troublesome as the terms are a little bit too close to the original colors.
PMEmail Poster
stogucheme
Posted on Apr 24 2012, 01:23 PM
Quote Post

Level 9

QUOTE (olympe @ Apr 24 2012, 06:12 AM)
Maybe we could have alterante shorthands, like Socks, one of the abbreviation thingies and one custom for people to make up for themselves if they so desire?

If all three could be coded, I'd be extremely happy with that. If not, then at least the first two would be amazing.
PMUsers Website
Shokomon
Posted on Apr 28 2012, 08:46 PM
Quote Post

Level 7

So, outside of the acronyms vs shorthand debate, has the layout for the idea been decided? It looks like Olympe's idea is most liked so far. Should put any modifications to Olympe's idea? For example, using the same font as the scroll's font, smaller letters, non-click space, etc?

- Edit: added Holiday alts to the Acronym/Shorthand List

This post has been edited by Shokomon on Apr 28 2012, 08:57 PM
Kirbyburn
Posted on May 6 2012, 04:35 PM
Quote Post

Level 8

Member No.: 57,443

QUOTE (Shokomon @ Apr 28 2012, 08:46 PM)
So, outside of the acronyms vs shorthand debate, has the layout for the idea been decided? It looks like Olympe's idea is most liked so far. Should put any modifications to Olympe's idea? For example, using the same font as the scroll's font, smaller letters, non-click space, etc?

- Edit: added Holiday alts to the Acronym/Shorthand List

I doubt anyone is still for abbreviations, but I had an example a few pages back.

This post has been edited by Kirbyburn on May 6 2012, 04:37 PM
PMEmail Poster
Shokomon
Posted on Sep 25 2012, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Level 7

This isn't dead, is it? Because this would really help people. It's a good concept that deserves to be refined!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (13) « First ... 11 12 [13]  Reply to this topicStart new topic