Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest, Please Read This.
! Welcome to the Dragon Cave Forums! If you aren't sure what to do, here are a list of recommended locations:

Board Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Edit Your Profile
Search the Forum

Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts.

Pages: (13) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Accessibility Option for Eggs, Changing this to be more accessible

Which style do you like best? (1st post)
stogucheme's- con: black text on colors is hard to read [ 9 ]  [10.23%]
olympe's- con: this will give people more click space and possibly an unfair advantage [ 42 ]  [47.73%]
Thuban's- con: the writing is small and hard to see [ 23 ]  [26.14%]
skinst's- con: people wouldn't be able to search by the eggs' patterns [ 14 ]  [15.91%]
Total Votes: 88
Guests cannot vote 
stogucheme
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Level 9

Group: Members
Member No.: 72,765

Due to others finding this useful, I'm changing this to include vision-impaired people in general- the colorblind and those who have trouble seeing details.

This feature would be optional.

Okay. This game gave me an idea. The object of the game is to drop colored balls down mazes and try to get them into their respective goal posts. The only problem is that the balls and goals look exactly the same, so there's no way for color blind people to tell between them.
Their solution? Put giant letters over the balls. It's not the prettiest solution, but here:
user posted image
Left- a really bad version of how I imagine it to work. Right- the above game's prettier version.

Now, notice how there's two letters per egg and they don't always make sense? That's because we have a million S dragons, and lots of C's, D's, etc. It's going to have to work like the periodic table of elements, which means that colorblind users will have to memorize the acronyms. (Sorry!)

As far as coding goes: This will be like the Christmas outfits overlay (I think) and won't affect the eggs' actual codes, so bots won't be able to be programmed easier.

One final note: The letters will appear on all eggs except those in the cave as mystery eggs. This is not just for the AP, but for the entire scroll. The option to turn this feature on or off will probably be on the Accounts page.

What's come up in the thread:

Holidays: Possibly use numbers. 09 for 2009 release, 10 for 2010 release, etc. Vampires would have the acronym V8 because they're available year-round.
New releases: Question marks. For multiple releases, maybe ?n and ?o for acronyms Sn and Mo. (Acronyms are already made, release shows 1 letter.)
Dinos: Exclamation marks. Y! for Yellow, B! for Blue, etc.
All eggs would have acronyms.
This would be optional.
Some people suggested we have rollover tags.
Completed list of acronyms.
Periodic Table of Eggs
Alternative solutions (click to go to their posts). If you have another solution please post it.

Share your acronym ideas right here!

olympe's
user posted image
Thuban's
user posted image
skinst's
user posted image

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Apr 16 2012, 09:10 PM
PMUsers Website
Ember_Silverly
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Level 6

Member No.: 64,347

Even though the eggs have slightly different shading, I like this idea. I'm all for something that opens up the game to new users and this seems like a simple way to make the game more accessible.
PMEmail Poster
olympe
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 05:24 PM
Quote Post

IOU Trader

Member No.: 49,835

Sounds like a good idea to me. However, would this be needed for eggs which have very distinctive markings, like sun eggs?
PMEmail Poster
Completely Different
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 05:29 PM
Quote Post

Ubercharge ready!

Member No.: 37,810

I agree this would be a nice idea. I don't know enough about how colour blindness looks or works to know if differences in shading or specific markings would be unique enough, but I feel the option should be out there. Those who also really have trouble telling apart white/silvers/storms/nocturnes and the various green eggs could also utilize it if they like.
PMEmail Poster
foxhead
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 05:30 PM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 83,351

Brilliant idea, I like it a lot. Even though some eggs have distinctive markings, if one egg has text over it for the colorblind, might as well make all of them have text over 'em. Makes things more uniform and organized.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ladyspritzy
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 05:33 PM
Quote Post

Level 2

Member No.: 25,153

QUOTE (olympe @ Feb 29 2012, 05:24 PM)
Sounds like a good idea to me. However, would this be needed for eggs which have very distinctive markings, like sun eggs?

I think that would depend on what kind of colorblind the person is.

Also, would you have different letters for similar eggs with different colors? For example, I could really see the dorsal eggs being a pain in the neck for the colorblind.
PMEmail Poster
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 05:35 PM
Quote Post

Wednesday has been canceled due to a scheduling potato.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 7,406

QUOTE (Completely Different @ Feb 29 2012, 03:29 PM)
I agree this would be a nice idea. I don't know enough about how colour blindness looks or works to know if differences in shading or specific markings would be unique enough, but I feel the option should be out there. Those who also really have trouble telling apart white/silvers/storms/nocturnes and the various green eggs could also utilize it if they like.

From what I know a while back on doing some research on colorblindness when a compulsive liar friend of mine said she was colorblind... Colorblind people will basically see the next closest color to the one they can't see, whether the same shade, or just made up of the color they can't see, so a lot of shades can look the same to them. Distinctive markings, if distinctive colors is probably okay, but markings of the same color or colors next to each other on the color wheel, even, may not really make a difference. To be safe, it would probably be best to put acronyms on all eggs, if this is done.
PMEmail Poster
stogucheme
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 05:45 PM
Quote Post

Level 9

QUOTE (ladyspritzy @ Feb 29 2012, 04:33 PM)
I think that would depend on what kind of colorblind the person is.

Also, would you have different letters for similar eggs with different colors? For example, I could really see the dorsal eggs being a pain in the neck for the colorblind.

Yes, all eggs would have the acronym over them.

Dorsals. Good gosh. I totally forgot about those. But anyway, here is the list I made- it is free of repeats!

Albino- Al; Balloon- Ba; Black- Bl; BBW- BB; Canopy- Ca; Coastal Waverunner- CW; Daydream- DD; Deep Sea- DS; Purple Dorsal- PD; Red Dorsal- RD; Electric- El; Ember- Em; Flamingo Wyvern- FW; Golden Wyvern- GW; Gold-horned Tangar- GT; Gray- Gy; Green- Gr; Guardian- Gu; Harvest- Ha; Hellfire Wyverns- HW; Horse- Ho; Magi- Ma; Mint- Mi; Moonstone- Mo; Nebula- Nb; Neotropical- Ne; Nocturne- No; Pillow- Pi; Pink- Pk; Purple- Pl; Red- Re; Purple Ridgewing- PR; Tan Ridgewing- TR; Royal Blue- RB; Seasonal- SW, SA, SS, SP (Winter, Autumn, Summer, and Spring); Skywing- Sk; Spitfire- Sf; Spotted Greenwing- SG; Stone- St; Striped- WS, BS, LS, GS, RS (White, Black, Blue, Green, and Red); Sunrise/Sunset- Su; Sunsong Amphipteres- Sg; Sunstone- Sn; Swallowtail- Sl; Terrae- Te; Two-Headed- TH; Vine- Vi; Water- Wr; Water Walker- WW; Water Horse- WH; Whiptail- Wt; White- Wi; Ice- Ic; Magma- Mg; Thunder- Tu; Gold- Gl; Silver- Si; Tinsel- TG, TS, TB (Gold, Silver, and Bronze); Cheese- Ce; GoN- GN; Geode- Go; Neglected- Ng; Paper- Pr; Shallow Water- Sh; Bluna- FB;

Holidays: Holly- 07; Yulebuck- 08; Snow Angel- 09; Ribbon Dancers- 10; Winter Magis- 11; Vampire- V8; Pumpkin- 09; Black Marrow- 10; Shadow Walker- 11; Valentine 09- 09; Sweetling- 10; Rosebud- 11; Heartseeker- 12
These can be the same because holidays are never released at the same time, excluding Vampires (which is why their acronym is V8).

Pygmies: Crimson Flare- CF; Dark Myst- DM; Misfit- Ms; Nilia- Ni; Seawyrm- Se; Original- Or

Drakes: Day/Night Glory- DN; Ochredrake- Oc

Non-Dragons: Chicken- Ch; Dino: B!, G!, P!, R!, Y! (Blue, Green, Purple, Red, and Yellow)

This post has been edited by stogucheme on Mar 8 2012, 03:05 PM
PMUsers Website
Completely Different
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

Ubercharge ready!

Member No.: 37,810

Nice list! There's one thing I would suggest, which is a little on the edge of this topic, but related, though. You've giving the Christmas dragon acronyms based on their unofficial names- Hollies, Yulebucks, Snow-Angels and Winter Magis. All well and good, since just four Chs or something wouldn't work. But I'm concerned that anyone whose not on the forums wouldn't know what they would mean.

Therefore, I would request that somehow those unofficial names getting added to the Christmas Dragon descriptions, just for clarity reason.

@Sock: thanks for the info.
PMEmail Poster
cyradis4
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 06:00 PM
Quote Post

The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, Gang aft agley

Member No.: 41,236

I'd suggest making it an option you could turn on in the Accounts page. I personally would truly hate something like this for myself, but if it were optional, I'd support.

Cheers!
C4.
PMEmail Poster
Nectaris
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

I'm here for the quest. Love a good quest.

Member No.: 12,750

Out of curiosity, what would newly released eggs acronyms be? After all, you don't want to give away the breed by the acronym before TJ's grow up. Would simply a question mark do?
PM
stogucheme
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Level 9

QUOTE (Nectaris @ Feb 29 2012, 05:02 PM)
Out of curiosity, what would newly released eggs acronyms be? After all, you don't want to give away the breed by the acronym before TJ's grow up. Would simply a question mark do?

Yeah, I think a question mark would be great for that.

As for Xmas dragons...what if they had numbers instead? That way, they'd be distinct. (Like 09 and 10 and 11 etc.) And since you can't mix up a Val 09 and Xmas 09 egg due to the times they're released...
PMUsers Website
Corteo
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 06:06 PM
Quote Post

Someday I will shade something that isn't blue

Member No.: 43,833

Or instead of this you could always have the egg description on rollover. It'd be insanely easy to do with a <span> tag and you wouldn't have to worry about new releases.

It'd look like how when you rollover the Google logo and it tells you about the pic.

This post has been edited by Corteo on Feb 29 2012, 06:08 PM
PMEmail Poster
stogucheme
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Level 9

QUOTE (Corteo @ Feb 29 2012, 05:06 PM)
Or instead of this you could always have the egg description on rollover. It'd be insanely easy to do with a <span> tag and you wouldn't have to worry about new releases.

Those load slowly on my computer and it's easier for me to notice acronyms than invisible tags. Imagine going over each egg- you'd never catch anything but blockers!
PMUsers Website
Corteo
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 06:12 PM
Quote Post

Someday I will shade something that isn't blue

Member No.: 43,833

Well you could also do the same kind of thing with jQuery and that would be instant. It would just be easier then having to worry about coming up with an acronym for each release. Plus for multiple released eggs at once you'd be able to tell those apart.
PMEmail Poster
stogucheme
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Level 9

QUOTE (Corteo @ Feb 29 2012, 05:12 PM)
Well you could also do the same kind of thing with jQuery and that would be instant.  It would just be easier then having to worry about coming up with an acronym for each release.  Plus for multiple released eggs at once you'd be able to tell those apart.

For the Moonstone/Sunstone release, their acronyms could've been ?o and ?n. Then they have their acronyms already, you just don't know the first letter.

This post has been edited by stogucheme on Feb 29 2012, 06:18 PM
PMUsers Website
HawktalonOfRiverClan
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

The phrase "good morning" is an oxymoron.

Member No.: 66,890

So this isn't the periodic table of eggs? Which is what I thought when I saw Al... Anyways, good idea. I support this.

Maybe GrD for the green Dino?

This post has been edited by HawktalonOfRiverClan on Feb 29 2012, 06:19 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ubbydubby
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 06:21 PM
Quote Post

Level 5

Member No.: 169,326

I like this idea if it were optional. If I loaded the page one day to see the image on your first post, that would be very distracting. I support this idea, if it were optional.
PMUsers Website
olympe
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

IOU Trader

Member No.: 49,835

I'd like to suggest a few changes...
Purple Ridgewing: PR
Tan Ridgewing: TR
Purple Dorsal: PD
Red Dorsal: RD
Gold/Silver/Bronze Tinsel: GT/ST/BT
For dinos: (red, yellow, green, blue, purple): R!, Y!, G!, B!, P! (or just the letter)
GoN: no marker (as they cannot be abandoned anyway)

I was also going to suggest the release year for all holiday dragons - but I guess I was ninja.gif'ed quite badly.
PMEmail Poster
stogucheme
Posted on Feb 29 2012, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Level 9

QUOTE (olympe @ Feb 29 2012, 05:33 PM)
I'd like to suggest a few changes...
Purple Ridgewing: PR
Tan Ridgewing: TR
Purple Dorsal: PD
Red Dorsal: RD
Gold/Silver/Bronze Tinsel: GT/ST/BT
For dinos: (red, yellow, green, blue, purple): R!, Y!, G!, B!, P! (or just the letter)
GoN: no marker (as they cannot be abandoned anyway)

I was also going to suggest the release year for all holiday dragons - but I guess I was  ninja.gif'ed quite badly.
  • I'd have to check the acronyms to find if those made duplicates. I will in a sec.
  • The Tinsels have to have the TG, TS, and TB to avoid doubles.
  • I like your idea with the Dinos. Will edit.
  • This isn't just for the AP. This would be on the scroll, so they're keeping their acronym.
Edit: Edited the acronym post. Used your suggestions. Cannot think of what to give Swallowtails...

This post has been edited by stogucheme on Feb 29 2012, 08:06 PM
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (13) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic