Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest, Please Read This.
! Welcome to the Dragon Cave Forums! If you aren't sure what to do, here are a list of recommended locations:

Board Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Edit Your Profile
Search the Forum

Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts.

Pages: (27) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Gender and Gender Identity, Trans, Cis, Androgynous, Genderqueer
Coelophysis
Posted: Dec 21 2010, 11:06 PM
Quote Post

Level 2

Group: Members
Member No.: 64,880

Human gender identity is...well, complex, perhaps even more so than sexual identity.

Here is a place to discuss gender, and all the forms of such. (Not just genderqueer, but the "Typical" genders identitities, as well), as well as gender roles, etc.

Vocabulary you may see used in this thread:
Sex - someone's biological sex
Gender - someone's mental sex
Zie/zir - a terms some androgynous or genderqueer people prefer as a pronoun

Some gender identities include:
Cisgendered - someone whose sex and gender are the same
Transgendered - someone whose gender disagrees with their sex
Intersex - someone of both sexes
Androgynous - someone of no gender (sometimes someone who is both genders)
Genderqueer - anyone who doesn't fall within normal gender boundaries may call themselves genderqueer

Gender is a very gray topic. Some people have a more fluid gender. Sometimes they are male, sometimes they feel female. Sometimes they may be one gender but enjoy being mistaken for the other. Etc.

Please be respectful of others genders here. If they prefer to be called he, she, zie, them, awesome, whatever, please respect their wish.
Genderfork.com is a good genderqueer site for sharing who you are and finding acceptance.

Please be polite and respectful, or else be attacked by rotten fish.

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Nov 12 2011, 05:36 PM
PMEmail Poster
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted: Nov 12 2011, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Wednesday has been canceled due to a scheduling potato.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 7,406

PMEmail Poster
PlutoIsHades
Posted: Nov 12 2011, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Level 3

Member No.: 179,867

I'm physically a girl, but mentally I'm pretty neutral or male. I cross-dress and am mistaken for a boy a lot. I prefer to be called "she", though.
PM
JOTB
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 09:17 AM
Quote Post

I misplaced my attention span

Member No.: 6,209

I've always been mentally female tending towards androgynous, but I started taking estrogen about 6 months (birth control pills) and now I identify more as male. What the heck.

This post has been edited by JOTB on Nov 13 2011, 09:17 AM
PMEmail Poster
-platinum-draco-
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 09:25 AM
Quote Post

Level 7

Member No.: 50,837

I'm a girl. I feel comfortable as a girl. However, I dislike it when males and females are separated stereotypically in skill with something that isn't viable. So "Men can do more pushups, on average, than girls," is perfectly plausible. "Girls don't play D&D," is not only false, but assuming that girls don't like roleplaying is stereotyping. I would also like them to see my D&D group.

PM
Da_Troll
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 09:49 AM
Quote Post

Level 2

Member No.: 81,947

Sex: Male
PMEmail Poster
Kestra15
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 10:08 AM
Quote Post

Did someone call for a nurse?

Member No.: 25,697

Male.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Walker
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 10:36 AM
Quote Post

Spitting sparks!

Group: RP Moderators
Member No.: 34,649

QUOTE (Kestra15 @ Nov 13 2011, 10:08 AM)
Male.

With a side of manliness Kestra?

... Why do I always feel the need to comment after Kestra. Weeeeird.

Well, I'm female, both sex and gender. I don't put a strong emphasis on it though when I'm thinking about myself. It's kind of like I've got brown hair, brown eyes, and oh yah, female. It's never been a fundamental part of me like it is for some people.
PM
Xyzaq
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 11:52 AM
Quote Post

Level 2

Member No.: 179,907

I'm female, both in sex and gender, but there have been moments where I wasn't quite sure what I was. That's mostly been cleared up by now, and getting called 'he' does annoy me a little.

Is Xyzaq really that masculine of a name?
PMEmail Poster
glamoursea2
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

(◡‿◡✿)

Member No.: 55,920

Female. Surprise!
PMEmail Poster
BlueSkyy
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

Level 6

Member No.: 3,709

Me: I'm a female. I've got the body of a model but the brain of a tomboy. I love rats, spiders, mice, creepy-crawlies, working on my truck, getting my hands dirty, playing video games, working out, and despise things like shopping, shoes, jewelry, and purses. They just seem superfluous to me. I've turned down every modeling gig and pageant letter I've been offered because it's not my thing, and I think they'd be horrified by me. xd.png

My pseudo-boyfriend: He's a male. He's got the body of a model and the brain of...well, a girl. xd.png He's so much more into fashion than I am, owns more jewelry, more pairs of shoes, can't fix a toilet to save his life, and has no idea how to work with heavy machinery. He didn't even own tools until I took him to Lowe's and picked out a nice little starter kit for him! He's dabbled in modeling and has quite a few nice shots.

...I've been referred to as "the man of the house" on more than one occasion, LOL. biggrin.gif But I think we complement each other nicely.
PMEmail Poster
St. Jimmy
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

Level 7

Member No.: 26,148

Genderqueer here. My gender's pretty fluid, but most of the time I'm neither. I don't really care what pronouns people use for me. Though, as far as gender-neutral ones go, I prefer they/their. The rest just sound silly to me.
PM
lightbird
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

tinkle tinkle hoy

Member No.: 15,428

QUOTE (Walker @ Nov 13 2011, 05:36 PM)
Well, I'm female, both sex and gender. I don't put a strong emphasis on it though when I'm thinking about myself. It's kind of like I've got brown hair, brown eyes, and oh yah, female. It's never been a fundamental part of me like it is for some people.

Pretty much this, but with green eyes.

I've got the body of a model but the brain of a tomboy.

What your preferences for things or general ways of thinking are, have nothing to do with what gender you are, just with gender stereotypes, which are exactly that - stereotypes.

This post has been edited by lightbird on Nov 13 2011, 12:53 PM
BlueSkyy
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 01:04 PM
Quote Post

Level 6

Member No.: 3,709

QUOTE (lightbird @ Nov 13 2011, 12:51 PM)
Pretty much this, but with green eyes.

What your preferences for things or general ways of thinking are, have nothing to do with what gender you are, just with gender stereotypes, which are exactly that - stereotypes.

I tend to use the word "gender" to refer to the stereotype, and "sex" to refer to what you physically are, i.e. your "junk in the trunk" so to speak.

Also, "male/female" to me denote your "sex" and "boy/girl" and "man/woman" are more "gender-oriented" words, if that makes sense. Like, you could be a "girly" male or a "manly" female.

I hope that makes sense. Perhaps it was poor word choice. sad.gif
PMEmail Poster
Shienvien
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

Creator and Destroyer

Member No.: 3,787

I am a woman and have always been, despite perhaps being not the stereotypical one.

- I recall most of my posts in this topic before it was cleared being of how one's interests, preferences and behavior are no indicators of one's gender.

This post has been edited by Shienvien on Nov 13 2011, 02:13 PM
PM
Dracofilia
  Posted: Nov 13 2011, 02:25 PM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 48,716

Physically female, but mentally androgynous and wish to be treated as such. I still stick to going by "she", though (it's easier). My friends sometimes slip on their tongues and call me "he" instead, due to my personality and status as "just one of the guys", in my group of best friends.
PMEmail Poster
Khallayne
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Not as Inactive as my group title says.

Group: Inactive Moderator
Member No.: 14,835

My sex is female.

My gender is more gender neutral. I wear feminine clothes because that is what fits best, but I do not associate with either gender much. Gender doesn't really have an importance to me.

Really, I like being 'it'... Don't know why, it's just what I like. However, I don't care what people call me. From she, he, zir, etc.
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Kestra15
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 03:42 PM
Quote Post

Did someone call for a nurse?

Member No.: 25,697

QUOTE (Walker @ Nov 13 2011, 10:36 AM)
With a side of manliness Kestra?

... Why do I always feel the need to comment after Kestra. Weeeeird.

Because I'm awesome.

I come with extra manliness. And a beard.
Walker
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Spitting sparks!

Group: RP Moderators
Member No.: 34,649

I have a gender role question. As I've stated, I'm both female in sex and body, but when people bring up children, I get this odd urge to be the dad instead of the mom. In the end, if I had children, I would want my wife to carry and I would want to be the dad figure. Do you think a woman in both mind and body is capable of being a 'father figure'?
PM
Kazeko
Posted: Nov 13 2011, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Level 8

Member No.: 53,075

The idea of "mother figure" and "father figure" are products of the gender binary anyway. They're not really a thing besides what society makes them.

Basically, I would say that you should parent whatever way you see fit, and if that makes you into a "father figure" by popular cultural definition, then so be it.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (27) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll