AGYK

Scroll messages

A lot of players name a few dragons, then use custom sort, to leave messages for anyone visiting their scrolls. I've seen/heard of things ranging from "Welcome to my scroll," to "Please don't ER my Neglected experiments," to "If you ask for a Holly, you'll be fed to the frills".

Anyway, I thought it would be cool if there was a more standard way to leave a message for visitors, maybe a little banner at the top of the scroll? The player would get to set their scroll message (or turn it off entirely, which would be the default) and then it would show up on the banner.

Limits:

* There would have to be a word/character limit. Maybe 500 characters (for visualization purposes, here is a 500-character message)?

* There would probably have to be an inappropriate-word checker like the dragon-naming system has.

* To prevent excessive message changing, it would have to be given a cooldown of sorts. Maybe once a week?

Benefits:

* Avoids "someone else gave their dragon a name with part of my message! Now how do I reword this..."

* Allows players to use a sorting method other than custom sort while preserving their scroll message

* Provides a clean, good-looking message system

Drawbacks:

* The sheer number of scroll messages to approve would be overwhelming for the mods

EDIT (12-10-10):

Since custom messages would be too much work for the mods, only generic messages will be possible for the time being. Here's a list of messages that have been suggested as of 12-25-10:

• "Hi and welcome to my scroll!"
  • "I take breeding requests."
  • "I gift via The Giving Tree; if you want something, please post there."
  • "Please don't ask me to breed anything."
  • "Do not ask for a Holly/I will ignore your request for a Holly."
  • "Please do not ask me for rares."
  • "If you need help, feel free to ask me."
  • "I will take any inbred/unwanted dragons."
  • "Please don't ER my dragons; I know what I'm doing."
  • "I will be gone for awhile. If you need anything, ask me when I return."
I will update the list as more people provide suggestions. Edited by AGYK

I'd like this and, even more, a page where we can write a all description/story for our caves. However, the main draw back is that all of these things have to be cleared through a moderator like the descriptions are. And since it's likely that many players would take the time to leave a message on their scroll, it would be a huge amount of approving that would suddenly swamp them. True, people have many dragons to describe and only one scroll, but still the amount involved would be high, not to mention the number of people what would change their messages frequently, and even with a cooldown that could be a lot.

Maybe if we had more mods just for that. Otherwise, that's the main problem that I see.

Mmm, this has been suggested a few times before, and I can't remember particular arguments against it (or anyone saying it absolutely wouldn't happen), aside from those not wanting their scrolls cluttered. The option to simply turn it off would nicely avoid that.

I myself would quite like this option. By no means a huge deal to me, one way or the other, but... it would be quite useful. Particularly once Teleport comes out - it'd be nice to be able to leave some message regarding my willingness to breed for gifts/trade/etc.

And it could potentially provide a way to advertise potential trades, even for those who aren't on the forums, once Teleport comes out?

So yeah, all in all, I'd like it, and can't think of any big potential problems with it.

(And I wouldn't mind helping mod something like that, myself....)

EDIT: Oh, forgot about this - link to an official poll that includes this subject: http://dragcave.net/poll/4/

Edited by Imbecamiel

I support this

I mass breed all my males weekly, and I would like to let people know of this so that if they want a certain egg from two certain dragons, they can PM me and tell me

I support this

I mass breed all my males weekly, and I would like to let people know of this so that if they want a certain egg from two certain dragons, they can PM me and tell me

I do hope you are breeding your females as well- wink.gif

To avoid the approval issue , perhaps some generic messages could be provided ie "I take breeding requests," or " Welcome to my scroll" You could change these at any time.

If you wanted a custom message , then that would have to be approved by a mod or approver.Changes could only be made with approval and only once a month -so things don't get too crazy

Edited by dragonpuck

I do hope you are breeding your females as well-  wink.gif

To avoid the approval issue , perhaps some generic messages could be provided ie "I take breeding requests,"  or " Welcome to my scroll"  You could change these at any time.

If you wanted a custom message , then that would have to be approved by a mod or approver.Changes could only be made with approval and only once a month -so things don't get too crazy

much better idea, yet, maybe threre could be a scroll feature in your account seetings saying:

scroll message: [choose one V]

____________ | ..._________|

with your approved messages there

I think that'd work quite well because then mods won't be working all the time, and you don't have to retype retype retype

I would like these, though I don't know what I would put yet... xd.png

I like the idea of generic messages, as long as you can put multiple ones on at a time.

I also like the mod idea. smile.gif

I'd prefer generic messages. As I'm basically the only one modding request topics (and the help section) and descriptions, already, I can't imagine the back load if I also had to mod messages.

At the very least, have a report function. :3

/speaking as someone who doesn't really want scroll messages, lol

Generic messages should be fine, I think, although it would be really awesome if we could create more personalized ones.

Here are a few generic ones I just thought up; I'm sure I missed some good ones though.

"Hi and welcome to my scroll!"

"If you want me to breed anything for you, let me know."

"Please don't ask me to breed anything."

"Please don't ER my dragons; I know what I'm doing."

I do hope you are breeding your females as well- wink.gif

At least if eggs are desired, anyway. Gay dragons being all well and good, but it doesn't do much to request eggs from those pairings. wink.gif

In any event, I definitely support this! It sounds like a cute and/or useful idea.

I think a mix of generic and self-written messages would be nice. Generic would obviously be nice for the mods, as there would be less for them to check, and also help for people who don’t want anything fancy- just something simple and straight-forward.

Maybe being able to write full messages could be a prize for getting a certain number of dragons (or approved descriptions?). This could also help prevent people who just want to use the system to troll/be rude.

weeellll

We need more mods. But apart from that, this is a fantastic idea that will benefit the players a lot, and with generic messages, it would make approval much easier :3

Maybe being able to write full messages could be a prize for getting a certain number of dragons (or approved descriptions?). This could also help prevent people who just want to use the system to troll/be rude.

A lot of people don't describe their dragons, so I don't think getting a certain number of approved descriptions is the way to go. Getting a certain number of dragons might work, though. How high would you suggest the limit be placed? Over 200 dragons, like the Silver trophy, perhaps?

A lot of people don't describe their dragons, so I don't think getting a certain number of approved descriptions is the way to go. Getting a certain number of dragons might work, though. How high would you suggest the limit be placed? Over 200 dragons, like the Silver trophy, perhaps?

But just because you are able to get and grow lots of dragons doesn't mean you're going to be responsible about your messages. I've seen inappropriate descriptions from people with 500+ dragons, so... X:

But just because you are able to get and grow lots of dragons doesn't mean you're going to be responsible about your messages. I've seen inappropriate descriptions from people with 500+ dragons, so... X:

So maybe we need to go back to the "generic messages only" idea?

Another possibility is adding new mods just for approving scroll messages, but that may be more trouble than it's worth for TJ and the existing mods.

Considering the depressing results of the description mod apps, generic messages would probably be good to start with.

I'd like to try again to get more description mods at some point, so maybe then people might be able to do customizable messages? :3

What do you mean by depressing results? No one interested, or no qualified people of those who applied? *does not remember hearing anything about this*

I love this idea! I really do. (not much else to say....)

I think I like this idea mostly because I'm way too impatient to name and sort dragons into a message. lol

What do you mean by depressing results? No one interested, or no qualified people of those who applied? *does not remember hearing anything about this*

Terri went through apps for a long time and just no one who applied was really that impressive or all that qualified for it. So yeah. General messages for now, methinks. ^^

Def a nice idea and yeah general ones to start and maybe we can get fancier later on smile.gif

Well, since we're starting with general messages, it would probably help speed this along if we created several. Does anyone have anything to add to my list?

-Welcome to my scroll!

-I take breeding requests.

-Do not ask for a Holly/I will ignore your request for a Holly.

I updated the first post with the suggested messages so far, and I'll continue to update it as more people provide suggestions.

Would be nice if there was a generic message "Wishlist: <insert dragon breed>, <insert dragon breed>, ..."

Problem is that would either have to work with a kind of checklist where you can mark the wanted breeds (and I can see how that would take a lot more coding extra), or with a text box to fill in (and then we're back to possible abuse and approving trouble).

So I'm just saying what I would like to be able to put there, but I realise it's not really very probable it will one day be possible tongue.gif