Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest, Please Read This.
! Welcome to the Dragon Cave Forums! If you aren't sure what to do, here are a list of recommended locations:

Board Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Edit Your Profile
Search the Forum

Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts.

Pages: (10) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Writing your own novel?, For those aspiring writers

Have you ever tried writing a novel
Yes [ 201 ]  [81.38%]
No [ 26 ]  [10.53%]
Pshh... I wrote *insert title here*! [ 20 ]  [8.10%]
Total Votes: 247
Guests cannot vote 
linz1995
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:02 PM
Quote Post

Level 2

Group: Members
Member No.: 63,342

I wonder if there are any people out there that has ever written or tried writing a novel. I am currently writing one right now. It is about ten pages (college ruled) long right now, and I am rewriting it into my laptop as I go. I just like making up characters and stories for them biggrin.gif
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Sorrowgrave
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 63,778

I am, I just need to work on it and stop procrastinating...
PMEmail Poster
linz1995
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:07 PM
Quote Post

Level 2

heh heh, yep I am procrastinating right now
PMEmail PosterYahoo
klinneah
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:09 PM
Quote Post

only a crack in this castle of glass

Member No.: 39,420

I hope I can get a handle on some novel ideas for NaNo. I'll be doing a lot of my writing then.

So far, I've just written some crappy little fanfics and a couple short stories.

((Why do I keep wanting to spell little as "littel"?))
PM
me4him101
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:10 PM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 66,203

me too, I am working on a novel right now. I a bit less than 9,000 words in it already. I am hoping to get it published. Then Ill be writing another novel for Nanowrimo.
PMEmail Poster
Qwackie
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:10 PM
Quote Post

The Ninja Duck

Member No.: 48,832

I've tried writing, but I usually spend way too much time worrying about the characters, rather than the plot. And I'm in school, so I can only really write during weekends/breaks.
Edit:
I'm writing for the NaNoWriMo, in a style I usually don't write in, like Stephen King style. <3
Edit 2:
Since I'm on fall break, I've decided I'm gonna spend all night writing a fantasy-ish thing. Or until I die of tiredness. Guess I should go get a soda. >_>

This post has been edited by Qwackie on Oct 5 2010, 09:15 PM
PMEmail Poster
linz1995
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

Level 2

What I have been doing that I first think of the personality of the character, whether (s)he is greedy, or kind, or good, or evil, or cowardly, stuff like that, then I start to think to myself "I wonder how (s)he will react if this was to happen to him/her? How do I introduce them?" and stuff like that. I usually writing or thinking about people that mentally or emotionally change throughout the novel (like what I am writing about).
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Sorrowgrave
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

I just need to work on the last ten pages in mine, it's a novella, 90 pages I'm on the 80th
PMEmail Poster
Qwackie
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:15 PM
Quote Post

The Ninja Duck

QUOTE (linz1995 @ Oct 5 2010, 09:13 PM)
What I have been doing that I first think of the personality of the character, whether (s)he is greedy, or kind, or good, or evil, or cowardly, stuff like that, then I start to think to myself "I wonder how (s)he will react if this was to happen to him/her? How do I introduce them?" and stuff like that. I usually writing or thinking about people that mentally or emotionally change throughout the novel (like what I am writing about).

I'm usually trying to make them not Mary Sues and not Anti-Sues either. It takes so long to make a decent character. ;_;
PMEmail Poster
Sorrowgrave
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:17 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Qwackie @ Oct 5 2010, 09:15 PM)
I'm usually trying to make them not Mary Sues and not Anti-Sues either. It takes so long to make a decent character. ;_;

that's the easy part for me... not making a sue, maybe cause I've been writing for ....7 years now
PMEmail Poster
linz1995
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:18 PM
Quote Post

Level 2

QUOTE (Qwackie @ Oct 5 2010, 09:15 PM)

I've been thinking about the story I am writing for about a year, lol, and I am still making up the main character's personality.
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Qwackie
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:18 PM
Quote Post

The Ninja Duck

I've been roleplaying since I was... 6? Yeah, probably 6. But I suck at writing on my own. ;_;
Whenever I try to write, I get off topic and end up doing major plot twists.
PMEmail Poster
Vexx
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

Doesn't really hang around much anymore

Member No.: 61,073

I had a little novel going... just some spiral notebook, 56 sheets front and back and still on the first chapter or so. ....but then I lost it.
....well, more like let a friend read it, but then she disappeared with it one day.
>:C
PMUsers Website
Sorrowgrave
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Qwackie @ Oct 5 2010, 09:18 PM)
I've been roleplaying since I was... 6? Yeah, probably 6. But I suck at writing on my own. ;_;

is that why in the 1x1 it feels like more of a series of short stories then one actual plot?

that's my faverite kind of book to write short stories

the dragons of Kyrnn is one book I did some fanfiction from, the last chapter is heavily refranced in alot.png of writing I do ;p
PMEmail Poster
klinneah
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

only a crack in this castle of glass

Member No.: 39,420

QUOTE (Qwackie @ Oct 5 2010, 08:18 PM)

But I love plot twists!
PM
Qwackie
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

The Ninja Duck

QUOTE (Sorrowgrave @ Oct 5 2010, 09:21 PM)
is that why in the 1x1 it feels like more of a series of short stories then one actual plot?

that's my faverite kind of book to write short stories

the dragons of Kyrnn is one book I did some fanfiction from, the last chapter is heavily refranced in alot.png of writing I do ;p

Yeah, that's why. I can't keep focused for a long time~
PMEmail Poster
linz1995
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

Level 2

I got the beginning down for my story, it's actually written by hand. I have a "skeleton" of the ending, I am still thinking of how it should actually end. The middle is what I am still thinking about, I am thinking how to have people react to things like so. But the main character, He is almost completely finished when it comes to personality,
PMEmail PosterYahoo
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted on Oct 5 2010, 11:19 PM
Quote Post

Wednesday has been canceled due to a scheduling potato.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 7,406

I've written three, all courtesy of NaNo. My real problem is going back to edit the novels... D:

I do better without planning. I hate planning because the book will just run away from you anyway, so it seems useless to plan too much. x3

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Oct 5 2010, 11:20 PM
PMEmail Poster
soupnazi
Posted on Oct 6 2010, 10:35 AM
Quote Post

The flower and the golden hand/Wooden wings and clouds of sand.

Member No.: 16,599

I've... written a few pages on a couple of stories. This year I plan to write one via NaNoWriMo though!
PMEmail Poster
Fortune86
Posted on Oct 6 2010, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

rawr

Member No.: 11,249

I've some ideas for a couple of books for a few years now, but I've never been able to start doing anything with them due to lack of time, energy and basic brain power.

Seriously. I can think of the most incredible plots, but when it comes to putting them into words and sharing them with others I come over all 'derp'.

Edit: That and I play way too many video games/watch too much TV.

This post has been edited by Fortune86 on Oct 6 2010, 10:44 AM
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (10) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll