Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest, Please Read This.
! Welcome to the Dragon Cave Forums! If you aren't sure what to do, here are a list of recommended locations:

Board Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Edit Your Profile
Search the Forum

Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts.

Pages: (137) « First ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Marriage Equality and Other GSM/LGBTQA+ Rights, Title edited to be more inclusive
BirdSpirit
Posted: Mar 3 2012, 04:09 PM
Quote Post

Level 10

Group: Members
Member No.: 78,124

QUOTE (Princess Artemis @ Mar 2 2012, 10:39 AM)
It's probably blazingly obvious, so much so that the teacher didn't feel the need to comment on it, but the vast majority of heterosexual acts are a sin in Catholicism, too. It's not like the straight people are given a free ride to act on their every urge.

A lot of Christian sects are not at all clear on expressing this--it's the sex outside of marriage that is considered the sin, not the orientation. Some get it confused themselves. But that's what it is.

For myself, as a Christian, I am not convinced that homosexuals cannot be married in God's eyes; it's a question that bears further investigating on my part, and one I'm not likely to find an easy answer to. I am, however, very convinced that that those, gay, straight, bi, whatever, who have sex without committing themselves one to another to live as spouses (regardless of what anyone else says they legally can or cannot do) are having sex outside of marriage and therefore sinning. Seeing, however, that I am not currently a judge, I shall not condemn them of anything. My eyes are too full of 2x4's to start condemning a whole bunch of people about their sawdust, y'see.

In the same chapter we were taught that sex was good though (after marriage of course)! Although they don't support gay marriage so that was probably where the problem was.

The teacher made it sound like homosexual acts included purposely fantasizing about someone of the same sex and kissing, which were apparently sins.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Princess Artemis
Posted: Mar 3 2012, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

Level 11

Member No.: 41,277

QUOTE (BirdSpirit @ Mar 3 2012, 01:09 PM)
The teacher made it sound like homosexual acts included purposely fantasizing about someone of the same sex and kissing, which were apparently sins.

I don't think those count. Maybe if it gets to the point of leering and such, but that's not cool for anyone to do to anyone. Never did see a 'thou shalt not have an imagination'.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
TSparkle123
Posted: Mar 3 2012, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 187,959

Honestly, to me, if it's love, it's love. I don't think anyone should not be aloud to get married because someone thinks that it's wrong. One person's beliefs shouldn't rule over another person's life. Also, just because you're gay doesn't mean you're not a human being. They should still have the same rights as the rest of us.
And these people who are supposedly "pro personal liberties" are mostly the ones who are taking away freedoms of the gay and lesbian people. Personal liberties is for EVERYONE.
PMEmail Poster
Broomstick
Posted: Mar 3 2012, 10:15 PM
Quote Post

Level 0

Member No.: 187,972

People should be allowed to marry no matter what their sexuality is. If you're in love and wanting to commit to someone - you should be allowed to do it. If people think it's wrong so what. Let them look the other way.
PMEmail Poster
klinneah
Posted: Mar 4 2012, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

only a crack in this castle of glass

Member No.: 39,420

QUOTE (BirdSpirit @ Mar 3 2012, 03:09 PM)
In the same chapter we were taught that sex was good though (after marriage of course)! Although they don't support gay marriage so that was probably where the problem was.

The key is "purposefully" fantasizing which means realizing you're doing it and then continuing to do so, which is a sin no matter who you're fantasizing about wink.gif

Honestly I agree with PrincessArtemis up there who said "My eyes are too full of 2x4's to start condemning a whole bunch of people about their sawdust, y'see." If people are going to hell for loving someone of the same sex, well, that's a better excuse then I've got!
PM
gravity404
Posted: Mar 21 2012, 07:45 PM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 183,628

I noticed that one of the biggest arguments out there is whether or not the government has the right to legalize gay marriage because marriage is a religious ceremony. However, I would have to disagree with this argument completely and say that marriage is indeed secular. You can have a religious church wedding, but in the eyes of the law it will mean absolutely nothing if there are no legal marriage documents signed. You can also be legally married without going through a true religious ceremony. Also, let's flip this around: if government doesn't have the right to legalize gay marriage, then how do they have the right to make it illegal?
Also, to those of you who have participated in any of the rallies and protests, some of those signs are pretty awesome. http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/gaymarr...-Gay-People.htm
PMEmail Poster
S9429183F
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 12:13 AM
Quote Post

Level 9

Member No.: 41,665

I support gay/lesbian marriages cos its their freedom to choose their partners rgdless of gender. I find gay marriages hotter than lesbian marriages. Haha. Cos they are more common?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
Lagie
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 08:51 AM
Quote Post

CPA mom. Have a brownie.

Member No.: 38,824

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
St. Jimmy
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

Level 7

Member No.: 26,148

I need help for my English project... does anyone know of a study on homosexuality being genetic? All I'm finding on google are news articles, and I'd rather have the actual study.
PM
darkdrake
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

Level 1

Member No.: 188,475

In this world everyone can love each other. I agree to gay marriages as a heterosexual or lesbian marriages. Even hatred of gays is a form of racism.
PMEmail Poster
Kelkelen
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Level 10

Member No.: 175,527

QUOTE (St. Jimmy @ Apr 2 2012, 01:50 PM)
I need help for my English project... does anyone know of a study on homosexuality being genetic? All I'm finding on google are news articles, and I'd rather have the actual study.

Have you tried doing a search for something like " "scientific study" genetic origin homosexuality" ? You might at least find articles which link to the type of studies you're looking for.
7Deadly$ins
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

Guardian Spirit Raina

Member No.: 8,128

QUOTE (darkdrake @ Apr 2 2012, 12:05 PM)
In this world everyone can love each other. I agree to gay marriages as a heterosexual or lesbian marriages. Even hatred of gays is a form of racism.

Homosexuality is not a race, so therefore it is not racism.
PMEmail Poster
Kestra15
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 04:11 AM
Quote Post

Did someone call for a nurse?

Member No.: 25,697

QUOTE (darkdrake @ Apr 2 2012, 07:05 PM)

Perhaps you mean it is a form of prejudice, since racism means in terms of race only, whereas you can hold prejudice against any group.
darkdrake
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 12:07 PM
Quote Post

Level 1

Member No.: 188,475

QUOTE (7Deadly$ins @ Apr 2 2012, 08:13 PM)
Homosexuality is not a race, so therefore it is not racism.

Indeed! HATRED TOWARDS THE GAY to me is RACISM.
PMEmail Poster
7Deadly$ins
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 12:38 PM
Quote Post

Guardian Spirit Raina

Member No.: 8,128

QUOTE (darkdrake @ Apr 3 2012, 10:07 AM)

Then please explain to me how "the gay" is a race.
PMEmail Poster
KageSora
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 12:49 PM
Quote Post

The key to beginning again lies before yet beyond the end.

Member No.: 3,018

QUOTE (darkdrake @ Apr 3 2012, 12:07 PM)

So you believe that there's no such thing as a Caucasian gay, a black gay, an Asian gay, etc., then, outside of mixed-race gay-*insert race* people? And that homosexuals, as a race, have some general defining physical features that can be used to identify them in general?

That's just not how it works.

Gay is not a race. Gay is a sexual orientation. That's like saying men and women are different races. It makes no sense and is untrue.

Hatred towards gays =/= racism. Racism is to do with race, and race alone.

Hatred towards gays is something different. It's just as wrong to hate somebody for their sexual orientation as it is to hate them for their race, but the two are not the same thing.
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
Greywake
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 07:37 PM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 79,886

Well, the media seems to have most people believing that gays are physically different.
So guys apparently have nasally voices and act..."fabulous"... that the right term? And lesbians are all butch and muscley. And they supposedly sexually harrass others more than straights.
I haven't met many lesbians, any offline to know the difference in their case, but being gay myself I don't really see any "physical" difference between gays and nongays, and I'd assume the chicks aren't all that outstanding either.

While it doesn't really have anything to do with race, it would probably be more outwardly effective to classify it as one though, 'cause frankly you call someone "homophobic" or "biggot" and they just blow it off, but go ahead and call them a racist and they go all defensive psychopath on you. Maybe the "racial trait" should just be not being straight. The govt would certainly get off their arses to fix this damn mess quicker if they thought it'd be racism to deny it.
PM
KageSora
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 08:33 PM
Quote Post

The key to beginning again lies before yet beyond the end.

Member No.: 3,018

QUOTE (Greywake @ Apr 3 2012, 07:37 PM)
While it doesn't really have anything to do with race, it would probably be more outwardly effective to classify it as one though, 'cause frankly you call someone "homophobic" or "biggot" and they just blow it off, but go ahead and call them a racist and they go all defensive psychopath on you. Maybe the "racial trait" should just be not being straight. The govt would certainly get off their arses to fix this damn mess quicker if they thought it'd be racism to deny it.

No, I don't think that would work. They'd just be like "Nope, we're not racists! Sexual orientation doesn't determine race, so lol ur stupid!" As it is racists will use anything and everything to justify their behavior and prove they're not racist (even when they are, unless they're the ones who honestly don't care who knows they are racist in which case it wouldn't matter)--it'll just be the same thing here. The people who run our country may be stupid, but they're excellent at finding loopholes, so this would just be another one they'd use.

Additionally, straight and gay aren't the only two orientations.

Asexual comes to mind, and bisexual.

So, how would you handle that? Would that make asexuals and homosexuals the same race, since they're not heterosexual? Or would bisexuals change race depending on who they're sexually active with/attracted to at the moment? That wouldn't make sense, since they don't have the same sexual attractions, therefore that "racially defining feature" groups a bunch of people who have absolutely nothing in common sexually together as the same race. That's like saying there's only two races.

And then how would you classify those who are transgender? Would a female bodied-person who identifies as male and is attracted to females be lesbian because of her body or straight because of his gender-identification?

ETA: Also, how would you handle somebody who is a heterosexual homoromantic? They're sexually attracted to the opposite sex, but they're more than willing to have an emotional but not sexual relationship with somebody of the same sex? Like, use a guy for an example. He's willing to date a girl and have sex with her. He's also willing to go out with another guy, just they wouldn't have sex. What happens to those people, are they classified by their physical sexual attraction, or who they're going out with at the time, or their romantic attraction or what?

This post has been edited by KageSora on Apr 3 2012, 08:38 PM
PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
gravity404
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 08:37 PM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 183,628

QUOTE (St. Jimmy @ Apr 2 2012, 01:50 PM)

You may find this useful: http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id...genetic&f=false
I don't know if you've seen it already, but it provides some good information. There's also a segment in the documentary, "For The Bible Tells Me So" that explains some of the studies scientists have done.
PMEmail Poster
Takoto
Posted: Apr 13 2012, 07:24 PM
Quote Post

Level 3

Member No.: 187,676

I'm openly bisexual so my opinion on this is probably clear. On a personal level I don't see the point in marriage and think it's not very important, but I respect those who want to get married, and as such I believe gay, lesbian and trans couples should be allowed to get married, and not have it be called a "civil partnership" (which doesn't have the same "rights" or recognition as marriage does in some countries).

Love is a very personal thing, and I don't think anyone should restrict peoples love for each other. If they want to get married, let it be so.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (137) « First ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll