Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest, Please Read This.
! Welcome to the Dragon Cave Forums! If you aren't sure what to do, here are a list of recommended locations:

Board Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Edit Your Profile
Search the Forum

Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts.

Forum Rules Please read all pinned topics before creating a new topic

Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

> Frequently Asked Questions, Please Read; Very Helpful
TJ09TJ09TJ09
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 11:48 PM
Quote Post

VP of Gentlemanliness

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

PMUsers WebsiteMSN
TJ09TJ09TJ09
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 11:49 PM
Quote Post

VP of Gentlemanliness

Introduction/Useful Links

This is the Ultimate Guide to DC - the main cave and the forums.

! Posts that break DragCave Forum Rules or the DragCave Terms of Service may be deleted at any time without warning or explanation.

First, be sure you've checked out the Cave Help Page (for cave and game questions) and the Forum Help Page (for forum help and questions). If your question isn't answered in either of those, please read over the rest of this guide (and maybe check out the unofficial DC wiki) and make sure it's not answered yet. If it isn't, you may post a thread asking about it in the Help Section (be sure the title of your thread has to do with what your question is) or you may simply pop into the Tiny Little Questions thread and ask there.

If you are having trouble getting the hang of DragCave (the cave or the forums) or would like to have someone to go to for help, please look into getting a Mentor. A mentor is there for you to be able to ask questions to, no matter how many you have, and can be very helpful in understanding both how the game, how the forums work, and what the cave Terms and Conditions and forum rules are and what they mean.

If you are just looking for some place to post your dragons, please see the Fansites Subsection (located in Site Discussion). There is also a list of Active Fansites, which is regularly updated with plenty of good places for you to get views for your dragons.
If you're just looking around the forum and aren't sure what a word or abbreviation or acronym means, check out the Terminology topic. It's probably listed there.

~This guide is adapted from rosedragoon's guide and contains answers to several common questions. If your question is not answered here, first check to make sure that your question is not already answered by using the search feature before posting a new topic. This guide is updated quite frequently, so even if you read this when you joined, you should check back every so often, especially if you have another question. If you have read this, but are just checking to see if a new question has been added you can use the find feature (control+f on Windows or command+f on Macs) with a couple different keywords to cut down on time. Of course, reading through, is always the best.~

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Apr 12 2013, 07:22 PM
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
TJ09TJ09TJ09
Quote Post

VP of Gentlemanliness

Frequently Asked Questions: Forum Questions

Q: Who are the mods and how can I contact them?
A:
Linked down at the bottom of the page is a list of all the forum moderators. If you want to know the mods for just a specific section, you can click the "Lead by: _____ moderators" link under each forum section title. PMing any of them specific questions you have is perfectly welcome.

Q: Is there a way to change my username (forum or scroll)?
A:
At the moment, the only way to do this is by contacting TJ09; however, he is not taking requests due to time constraints (life, the cave, the sheer amount of people who request this, etc.). He is working on a way for users to be able to do this themselves, but for the moment, there is no way to change your username.
Please note that creating duplicate accounts are against the cave terms and the board rules. If you have further questions, please contact a mod.

Q: I have a warning, when will it go away/what was I warned for?
A:
Warnings go away after four weeks if you don't get another warning in that period of time. You can find out what you were warned for by clicking the warn percentage, a window will pop up with notes that the moderator left as to the reason you were warned. You always have a warning bar, but you only have a warning if the percentage is other than "0" and some of the light bars turn darker. Your warning level is only visible to moderators, so other users can't see it.

Q: What does a warning do?
A:
A warn simply serves as a reminder that you've done something against the board rules or a rules sticky so you can keep it in mind for the future. Low warn percentages come with no consequences unless the circumstances are extreme. Possible consequences for higher warns are posting moderation (your post must be approved by a mod before the public can see it), no posting (you can see the board and send PMs, but are unable to post messages for the public), and suspension (you can't see the board or use any of its functions). These usually only last for a few days to a week.

Q: Why was my post deleted?
A:
Posts that break DragCave Forum Rules or the DragCave Terms of Service may be deleted at any time without warning or explanation. If your post did not violate any rules, terms, or guidelines laid out in section sticky's or if you are sure your post was innocuous, please contact TJ09 with the post content summary, thread you posted in, and the time or around the time you posted so he can look into it. This is a probable forum bug.

Q: What are levels/when do levels increase/how do I increase my level/how do I change my custom title?
A:
Levels increase when you post, exact numbers and other information can be found here. Levels have nothing to do with anything except showing how much you've posted. Your custom title can be changed in My Controls, but only after you reach level 10.

Q: How do I report things?
A:
If you see a post or topic on the forum that you wish to report look at the top of the post. Next to quote there should be a little report button. Click it and type up a quick explanation of why you are reporting it, before you hit send. If you see a scroll name or a dragon's name that is offensive, send a PM or e-mail to TJ09, with a link to the name that is offensive. Note, though, that even if you find it offensive other's may not, and the dragon or scroll name may stay.

Q: Why are there suddenly no posts in a huge thread?/What is a wipe and when does it occur?
A:
If you notice a thread quickly grows in size, or has grown over 50 pages, is suddenly empty, or is now only a couple pages a wipe probably just happened. A wipe is when all the posts, except for the original post, in a thread are deleted. This usually only happens when a thread has grown to an immense size, usually over 50 pages, or much drama is happening. The wipe happens on bigger threads to help save size and keep the thread at a manageable levels. If the wipe happens because of drama, it is to prevent the drama from continuing, and is usually accompanied by a short period of time where it is also locked, to give people a chance to calm down.

Q: Can I put a trade link in my signature?
A:
Yes, you can, but you need to make sure to keep it updated and remove the link when the trade is done or cancelled.

Q: I was notified that I received a new message, but when I checked, there wasn't one. What happened?
A:
If a user selects the option to track the message, they can delete the message in their tracker. If you have not read the message yet, this also deletes the message from your inbox. However, the notification has already been sent to you, so you receive the notification but no message.

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Feb 12 2013, 05:17 PM
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
TJ09TJ09TJ09
Quote Post

VP of Gentlemanliness

Frequently Asked Questions: Cave Questions

Q: What are clicks, views, and unique views?
A:
Views, unique views, and clicks are statistics that determine if your egg will hatch and if your hatchling will grow. Views are accumulated every time someone views the actual image of your egg/hatchling/adult. Unique views are obtained in the same way as views, except only one unique view is given per egg per IP/person. A "click" occurs when someone clicks on your egg in your signature or wherever you place it, and views the page that contains all of the information about your creature. Just like unique views, clicks are only given once per IP/person. It is possible to raise a dragon with zero clicks, although clicks contribute significantly more to a dragon's growth than views or unique views, so raising dragons without any clicks may be more challenging.

Q: How do I get my dragons into my post/signature?
A:
Click on your account, then click 'Get Code' for that dragon. Then you can pick your code from 3 different types, HTML, BBCode, and BBCode with TinyURL. Chances are you'll want the BBCode versions for use on forums. Take that code then you go to your signature editor. Paste your code in there, and your eggs/hatchlings/adults will appear in your signature! You are not allowed to post your dragons on this forum because it encourages "egg spam".

Q: Can two different people have scrolls on the same computer/IP?
A:
Yes, as long as they are different people. There are many cases of siblings, parents and children, etc, having scrolls on the same IP. The same person having multiple scrolls is not allowed. As long as each person sticks to their own scroll, everyone should be fine. You do not need to PM TJ or a mod to let them know.

Q: What time is cave time/what timezone is the cave?
A:
Cave time is EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)/EST (Eastern Standard Time), depending on whether or not it is daylight savings. For a clock that always runs according to cave time, see here.

Q: My friend/family member said I could log into their scroll and help them, is this okay?
A:
When you log into another scroll, it's then considered yours. Help your friend out by gifting them or reminding them to breed or getting permission to add their dragons to fansites. Their scroll is their own, though.

Q: What font does DC use for the headers and such?
A:
It's called A Charming Font.

Q: How do you get the tinyurl code? It's not on the getcode page!
A:
You can only get the tinyurl code by going to your account settings and clicking the box that says “Display TinyURL Codes” next to it. After that the tinyurl code will appear when you go to the getcode page.

Q: What does accepting aid mean?
A:
Accepting aide means just that. If you have the option (found under account settings) checked it makes it legal for people to post your dragon on other sites to help it live. If you are posting someone's dragon that is accepting aide on a forum, be sure you post the whole code, and not just a direct link, as that could kill it. If you're posting it to fansites, just the four letter code is perfectly fine.

Q: How do I share my username on my dragons page?
A:
Click your account settings and check the box where it says: "Display Username on Dragon Info Page:". Then save and voila!

Q: How do I find out which artist created the dragons in the cave?
A:
The artists who created each individual dragon are listed at the bottom of the dragons page. You will need to know this if you ever wish to use the site's art, as you cannot use images from the site without the artist's permission.

Q: When are new dragons added to the cave?
A:
There is no set timetable for when new dragons are added to the cave. Releases often slow around holiday times (as we go from Halloween to Christmas to Valentines releases) and then are released whenever TJ has time and feels we've had enough time between releases to deal with another release.

Q: What order were the dragons out on DC released? What is the history of DC?
A:
For a timeline of DC, see here. It's run by a forum user who gathered the information mostly from news topics, not knowing how useful the site would be until the older news section posts got eaten and couldn't be brought back.

Q: What are retired/discontinued breeds and can I still get them?
A:
Retired breeds are breeds that used to be available but are no longer available due to the artists request. They cannot be grabbed or bred. They can still breed, but they will not produce more retired breeds. So far these breeds include the frilled dragon and the bright pink dragon.

Q: Why is my scroll "burned"?/Why is my account disabled or banned?
A:
"Burned" is simply another term for when your account has been banned. Accounts may be banned for a number of reasons, primarily due to violations in the site terms that all users agree to upon registration. If you still do not understand why your scroll was burned after that, you may PM or e-mail TJ09. Please do not post public topics about this - the public will not know the answer to your question.

Q: What is the wilderness?
A:
The wilderness is a page that displays a random set of wild dragons (not owned by any user). Wild dragons cannot be picked up from the wilderness, and there are no plans to ever add such a feature.

Q: How do I get an incubator? / What is an incubator?
A:
Incubators are images that display all of your eggs, hatchlings, and dragons. Incubators don't give any views to your dragons, but they do provide an attractive image to draw people to your scroll. You can create an incubator by clicking "Generate Incubator" on the account page. You can also get a custom incubator from several third-party sites, such as the Incubator Forums. There is an in depth guide as to how to make an incubator here.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of adult dragons you can have on your scroll?
A:
No, there is no limit to the number of adult dragons you can have on your scroll.

Q: When will I get a trophy?/When will my trophy upgrade?
A:
There are three trophies: bronze, silver, and gold. The bronze trophy is for having 50 dragons, the silver for 200, and the gold for 500. Only one trophy shows up on your scroll; when you have enough dragons for the silver, it will replace the bronze trophy, and when you have enough for a gold, it will replace the silver trophy. Trophies should come/update when you reach the specific number for the trophy (50/200/500). Eggs, unfrozen hatchlings, leetle trees, and zombies do not count towards the limit. Frozen hatchlings and adults do.

Q: Why can't I review descriptions?/Why can I suddenly review descriptions?
A:
In order to access the "Review User Descriptions" tool, you must possess at least ten live adult dragons. Be sure that you read the description guidelines before reviewing. Leaving rude or nonconstructive comments or otherwise abusing the ability to review descriptions may result in loss of the ability to use the tool.

Q: How do I change the cave skin/look?
A:
Go to Account --> Account Settings --> Site Appearance

Q: What is a Dorkface?
A:
Dorkface is the name of a popular lineage. The Dorkface Lineage are dragons that are related to one specific dragon - Midas Dorkface. It all started in 2008, when the owner ladiefare was trying to obtain a female Gold dragon, but the CB ones she caught kept gendering male. So she warned her newest Gold, that if this one gendered male, she'd name it Dorkface. It gendered male, and Midas Dorkface became his name. His mate is a white named Shallyna'ar. A dragon is a Dorkface if it is descended from Midas Dorkface and Shallyna'ar. After ladiefare went inactive for a little bit, the names ended up as The Original Midas Dorkface and The Original Shallyna'ar. The original names were offered back to ladiefare, but she liked the title The Original and so kept it.

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Sep 26 2013, 11:51 PM
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
TJ09TJ09TJ09
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 11:50 PM
Quote Post

VP of Gentlemanliness

Frequently Asked Questions: Cave Problems

Q: When I click "actions" it says: "Warning! An invalid referrer has been detected."
A: The warning message is simply there to keep you secure. Make sure you only access the actions page directly from the site. If you try again and it keeps happening, make sure your browser sends referrers. If you are not sure how to check, visit this page and send TJ09 (the site admin and cave creator) the report ID. Firewalls and internet security software are notorious for blocking referrers.

Q: When I try to enter the main site, I get the "Proxy Detected" message, what is wrong?
A: The site has automatically detected that you are using a proxy server. A proxy server is a tool that allows you to hide your IP from the site and are often used for cheating purposes. Many ISPs force all connections to go through a proxies. Some popular "web accelerators," such as Google Web Accelerator, have been known to act as proxies as well. In order to help me diagnose the problem, visit this page and send me the report ID.

Q: When I try to get an egg it tells me I'm not logged in!
A: First, make sure you've created a scroll on the site and activated it. Remember, a forum account is not the same as a site account. If the header at the top of the page contains a "Login" link, then you are not logged in.

Q: The gender and frozen symbols aren't showing up properly! How do I fix it?
A: You can fix this little problem by visiting this link here: http://dragcave.net/check

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Oct 16 2011, 11:12 PM
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
TJ09TJ09TJ09
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 11:50 PM
Quote Post

VP of Gentlemanliness

Frequently Asked Questions: Breeding & Egg Obtaining Questions

Q: How do I get eggs?/When do I get eggs?
A:
Eggs are randomly produced every hour on the hour (on-time with GMT). A small amount of eggs may also appear every 5 minutes after that (x:05, x:10, etc) To get an egg, click one of the eggs. If someone else gets the egg first, just keep retrying.
Depending on the type of egg you want, you'll have to visit a certain biome. For a list of what dragon is found in which biome, visit the Site Discussion list or the wikia list. Rares can be found in all biomes and may show up in any of them at any time. Many other dragons can be found in multiple biomes, though not necessarily all of them.

The cave works by generating a bunch of eggs and separating them out into their respective biomes, so some biomes may be empty at times.

If there are abandoned eggs (which can appear at any time), you can also take one of those. The abandoned page (often shortened to AP on the forum) does not show up on biome pages unless the AP is blocking the cave. You can take an abandoned egg when you see this text:
"Near the entrance to the cave, there are some abandoned eggs. If you don't want the dragons inside to die, you can take one of those instead."
Abandoned eggs may have less time left than normal eggs, but by taking one, you gain a 1 day bonus if it's never been dropped before.

Q: Where can I find a certain dragon? Which dragons show up in each biome?
A:
For a list of what biomes each dragon can be found in, visit the Site Discussion list or the wikia list. Rares can be found in all biomes and may show up in any of them at any time. Many other dragons can be found in multiple biomes, though not necessarily all of them. For a list of which dragons can be found in each biome, please check out the DC habitats blog page.

Q: Why does the AP block the cave?
A:
It's not something done maliciously or to ruin your cave experience. It's done as incentive to pick up AP eggs when there is a backlog, so the eggs don't keep piling up and eventually just die there.

Q: Why can't I get another egg?/What is scroll lock?
A:
You may not be clicking fast enough to get an egg from the entrance. There is also a limit to the number of eggs and hatchlings you can have at any one time, as follows:

-With no trophy (less than 50 dragons):
4 eggs/12 total
-With a bronze trophy (50-199 dragons):
5 eggs/15 total
-With a silver trophy (200-499 dragons):
6 eggs/18 total
-With a gold trophy (500 dragons or more):
-7 eggs/21 total

The first number is how many eggs you may have at one time. The second number refers to the total number of growing dragons you can have. This means you could have (with no trophy, as an example): 4 eggs and 8 hatchlings or 3 eggs and 9 hatchlings or 2 eggs and 10 hatchlings or 1 egg and 11 hatchlings or 0 eggs and 12 hatchlings. If you have 4 eggs, you can still hunt for hatchlings until you've hit 12 total growing things.
This limit can be taken up by dragons grabbed from the cave, the AP (abandoned page) or bred from your own scroll. There is no "secret" or "extra" slot available anymore. The egg limit posted here is the full egg limit available to you.

Killed eggs (manually killed, vamp bite failures, eq failures) count to the egg limit for a day to prevent people from killing an egg in order to free up a slot, making the five hour wait to abandon a caveborn egg more desirable than killing said egg.

Being scroll locked means that your scroll is "locked" from grabbing/breeding new dragons.

To check and see if you are open, check out the egg limits help page.

Q: Where can I find newly released dragons? Will they be in all biomes?
A:
New releases/holidays will show up in their respective biomes. While the site tries to balance out ratios, the other biomes will basically be empty.

Q: How do you breed dragons?
A:
The "Breed" action is available on the actions menu for adult, breedable dragons. If you click it, you will be presented with a list of eligible dragons of the opposite gender from your own scroll - you cannot breed with dragons from other scrolls. Select one of those and breeding will be attempted. Breeding is not always successful, however, and may fail to produce an egg. It it is successful, it may produce up to one egg. For holiday events, holiday dragons may produce up to four eggs. If multiple eggs are produced, then you must select one egg to keep and the rest will be abandoned for others to take. You cannot keep more than one egg from a clutch.

Q: What are hybrids/how do I get hybrids?
A:
There are a handful hybrids that result in a dragon that is neither of the parents - it is a new dragon. These hybrids are: shallow water (magi & water), bluna (skywing & water or deep sea), geode (stone or pebble & stone or pebble), and ultraviolet (purple & spitfire). The gender of the parents does not make a difference. Breeding a hybrid with another dragon can produce the hybrid breed or the parent breed. In the case of ultraviolets, they may also produce a spitfire, even if the partner is not a spitfire.

Q: Can a bred egg be the breed of a grandparent rather than the parents?
A:
No. It doesn't matter what the parents' parents or grandparents are, the bred egg can only be the breed of one of the parents. However, hybrids are an exception to this rule, in which a completely new dragon is created. Breeding an ultraviolet with any dragon may result in a spitfire, since they are closely related to their spitfire parent.

Q: Why can't I breed?
A:
You cannot breed more than once every week per dragon (both males and females). You also cannot breed if you don't have any eligible dragons of the opposite gender. Some dragons can only breed with certain kinds. Pygmies can only breed with pygmies (pumpkins count as a pygmy). Drakes can only breed with other drakes. Splits or 2-heads can only breed with other two-heads. Other dragons can all breed with each other, but not pygmies, drakes, or splits. Remember that a failed breeding still counts as a breeding and you have to wait a week to try again.

Q: My breeding failed. Will that pair ever breed?
A:
The only breeding message that means the pair is incompatible is the message of "the dragons refuse to go near each other". The rest of the messages are simply a fail for that attempt. If dragons refuse each other, they will show up grayed out at the bottom of each other's breeding lists so that you don't accidentally try to breed them again.

Q: My dragons bred and produced multiple eggs, but I didn't select one. What will happen?
A:
If you don't select which egg to keep within an hour (half an hour if you have already hit the limit you are allowed of that holiday dragon), all the eggs will be automatically abandoned. If you close the selection page without choosing an egg, all of the eggs will appear on your account page as "held eggs." You can choose one to keep by going to actions and selecting "Keep". If you don't want any of the eggs it is best to simply choose one then abandon it.

Q: I can't see the bred eggs abandoned in the children list on my dragon's page. Where are they?
A:
It appears to be to prevent people from adopting the eggs by grabbing the codes off the parents' page rather than stalking the abandoned page. They will show up on the list once the eggs are adopted.

Q: When do the seasonal eggs switch to the next season?
A:
The seasonal dragon eggs always switch on the solstices and equinoxes of a given season. Since this varies from year to year, it is recommended that you look up a calendar such as this one to figure out when a specific season begins in the northern hemisphere.

Q: Can you trade dragons? How do you trade dragons? How does teleport work?
A:
Yes, teleport is the official trading system. Only growing dragons can be traded, and only up to four at a time. To teleport, one needs a magi. Only the person initiating the trade needs a magi. To teleport (see this brilliant comic by Sinsdaemn for a quick and entertaining overview), the user initiating the trade can go to a magi's actions page or choose a magi from the active transfers page. The user initiating the trade then selects either 2-way trade (the other person will have to offer at least one growing dragon) or a 1-way transfer (the other person can accept the trade without offering something in return). The security action on teleport will always be your password, even if it's set to action name.
Once the trade is submitted, the user initiating the trade will be given a trade link to share with another user or multiple users. This is generated as a simple address url, an HTML code, and a BBCode.
If the user is doing a 2-way trade, they can give the link to as many people as they want. These people can make an offer on the dragon/s and the person who initiated the trade can look through the offers and select the one they like.
If the user is doing a 1-way transfer, the first person to accept the offered dragons will get them.
A trade can be canceled. This will remove the dragon/s from the offer and return the magi to you without having to wait out the 2 day cooldown.

Q: How do other actions react with teleport?
A:
Teleported dragons do not gain a day, unlike abandoned dragons. Both influence and incubate are removed through teleport, as they are with abandoned dragons. Hatchlings that have been influenced will not have the influence removed by teleport, as gender is locked in as a hatchling.

Q: What dragons can I teleport? Can I teleport named hatchlings? Can I teleport adults or frozen hatchlings?
A:
Growing dragons that you can abandon can be teleported or transferred. This means adults, frozen hatchlings, named hatchlings (a hatchling can be easily un-named by going to 'rename', clearing the field, and submitting that), and leetle trees can not be teleported. Eggs and unfrozen and unnamed hatchlings can. If you grab an egg from the cave you must wait five hours before you can teleport it, just like with abandoning it.

Q: What happens to the dragons pending in a trade?
A:
You can only teleport dragons you own (meaning no held dragons). These continue to take up room on your scroll until they are gone. If you are keeping a dragon that will be auto-abandoned (ie an extra holiday) for gifting or trading, it has to be gifted or traded and accepted by the other party before it auto-abandons. Dragons that are pending in trade can still gain views and time will tick down and such, but no actions can be preformed on them, meaning they can't be fogged or abandoned until the trade is canceled.

Q: Can we trade on the forum?
A:
Yes, we have a whole trading subsection in site discussion specifically for trading dragons.

Q: When does a teleport link expire?
A:
Either when you cancel it or when the egg dies or hatches or the hatchling dies or grows to an adult. If the teleport is automatically canceled because the dragon dies or grows up, the magi still has to go through the cooldown. If you cancel the teleport yourself, the magi is immediately able to teleport again.

Q: Does fertility guarantee an egg?
A:
No, it only increases your chances a bit (by about 50%). As specifically said by TJ in a help thread: "It's a 1.5x multiplier."

Q: Why isn't my hatchling showing up in teleport?
A:
Named hatchlings can't be teleported. Go to name, erase the name, and submit in order to unname the hatchling so it can be teleported.

Q: Why isn't my egg showing up for influence/incubate?
A:
Eggs in teleport cannot be influenced or incubated.

Q: I found an odd/differently colored holiday dragon/I found a pink tinsel (penk). What's up?
A:
Artists for limited time dragons get an option to have a specially colored dragon, a "spriters alt". The tinsel, as a prize for the tree contest that only TJ and the spriter knew about, artist has a pink tinsel which produces silver tinsels. It is the only pink tinsel.

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Dec 1 2013, 02:19 PM
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
TJ09TJ09TJ09
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 11:51 PM
Quote Post

VP of Gentlemanliness

Frequently Asked Questions: Egg & Hatchling Growing Questions

Q: How many clicks and views do my dragons need to grow?
A:
There is no set amount. Hatching is based on a ratio of clicks, views, unique views, time left and time it has been alive, and type of dragon, so there is no magic number that you must reach. The higher the amount of views a dragon has, the less unique views and clicks it will need to hatch. The more unique views and clicks it has, the less views it will require. Clicks are like an extra little boost in growing up faster.

Q: How long will it take for my dragons to hatch/mature? Why aren't my eggs/hatchlings growing up?
A: Just as there is no definite amount of clicks/views/unique views needed, there is no definite time frame for hatching. Just try and get a good amount of views and unique views as you can. Every one counts. Time is a factor in the hatching process too; eggs and hatchlings cannot hatch/mature before 4 days 0 hours are left. Once they run out of time, if they do not have enough views/unique views/clicks, they will die.

Q: What happens if I hide my egg or hatchling?
A: Hiding an egg or hatchling prevents it from being viewed. While hidden, eggs and hatchlings will not receive views or clicks. Hidden eggs and hatchlings will display a "fog" graphic instead of the usual image, and anyone (excluding the owner) who tries to view the egg/hatchling will be unable to. Eggs and hatchlings can still die while hidden, and will not hatch or mature while hidden, but they can crack and grow wings.

Q: My egg hatched/dragon matured/was unfogged/was fogged, but it still shows the old image. Is this a glitch?
A: It is not a site glitch but a problem with your browser. Your browser has the old image cached and is displaying it rather than show the updated image, but others will be able to see the new one. Try pressing Ctrl+F5 (PC) or command+shift+R (Mac) to hard refresh on your account, manually clearing your cache (tools -> clear recent history -> select cache in FF, can also be googled), or simply waiting for the images to update on their own.

Q: How/When do I know what my hatchling's gender is?
A: In order to find out a hatchling's gender, you must wait until it is near maturation. At that time, the gender will appear on the dragon's page below its view and click information as well as appearing next to the "hatchling" identification on your scroll.

Q: How do you abandon an egg/hatchling?
A: If the egg was stolen from the cave you have to wait five hours to abandon the egg, but bred eggs and eggs grabbed from the abandoned page can be abandoned right away. You click "Actions" on the account page, then "Abandon". Once an egg or hatchling has been abandoned, it cannot be reclaimed.

Q: I try to abandon/freeze/kill, but I get "The input does not match the action!", how do I fix it?
A:
You need to type the action in ALL CAPS, like it says in the instructions. If you typed the name of your intended action correctly then you clicked on the wrong action and should try again.

Q: How do I make sure my glory drake is either day or night?
A:
The type of glory depends on when it is bred/caught. Dayglories are made from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST. Nightglories are made from 6:00 p.m. to 6 a.m. EST. They both have the same egg.

Q: How do I make sure my sunrise/sunset dragon is either a sunrise or sunset?
A:
The type of sun dragon depends on when it is hatched. Sunrise dragons must hatch between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. EST. Sunset dragons must hatch between the hours of 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. EST. In the hours between, sun dragons can't hatch at all and even if they are low enough on time, they will not hatch until they are able. Sunsets and sunrises come from the same egg.

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Mar 10 2014, 04:02 PM
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
TJ09TJ09TJ09
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 11:51 PM
Quote Post

VP of Gentlemanliness

Frequently Asked Questions: Sickness & Death Questions

Q: My egg is cracking/has a big hole. Is it sick/did it run away?
A: That is perfectly normal. In fact, cracking is a good thing, as it is a sign that your egg is beginning to hatch. An egg with a crack or a hole on it doesn't mean it will hatch, but you're certainly on the right track! The only time a change in the egg's image indicates a problem is if the egg becomes split in half horizontally, as that is the image of a dead egg.

Q: How did my egg die?
A: There are several ways an egg can die. The most common is that it ran out of time. From the moment you get your egg, you have 7 days to help it hatch or the egg will not survive. Eggs can also die from soft shells, which can be caused by several different conditions. (See the question below)

Q: How do I know if my egg is dead and if it is, how do I get rid of it?
A: A dead egg is denoted by the egg graphic being broken in half horizontally. If you wait 2 weeks, it will disappear from your scroll on its own. There is no way to get rid of it besides waiting.

Q: How do I revive my dead egg?
A: You can't. You can only revive hatchlings and adults. Reviving is done by clicking “actions” next to the dead dragon and clicking “revive”. Reviving is unlikely to work.

Q: Do dead eggs count towards the egg "limit"?
A: Yes, manually killed eggs count for a day (24 hours). Vampire bite kills and earthquake kills count as manually killed eggs. This is to make waiting the five hours to abandon a caveborn egg more desirable than killing said egg.

Q: Why is my egg or hatchling sick?
A: Egg soft shell and hatchling sickness is caused by abnormal conditions in the egg. There are two causes of disease:
  • Having more clicks than unique views
  • Getting too many views/unique views/clicks in a short period of time.
Removing the sickness is simply a matter of removing whatever conditions are causing it. For example, if your egg has more clicks than unique views, then in order to get rid of the disease, then you need to get enough unique views so that the number of clicks becomes lower than the number of unique views. An in depth guide can be found here.

I have a low time egg/hatchling (tinsel) that's sick. Is it a glitch?
A:
Nope, tinsels are notorious for getting sick after they get stuck into ERs and gather lots of views. Incubating it beforehand is also often a cause of it getting sick. In many cases the egg will be fine and then it will hatch sick. Sock's personal suggestion is to stick the tinsel in a couple of fansites at 5d left, then ER it when it gets below 4d left, rather than just fogging it until it's an ER. If it is sick as a hatchling or egg, it's best to hide it until it either has low enough time to hatch or grow up or until it has low enough time to hatch or grow up and is no longer sick.

Q: What happens when I try to kill my hatchling?
A:
It may die, or it may avoid your attack. If it avoids your attack, you must wait another day to try to kill it. The closer it is to maturing, the harder it will be to kill it. It is basically the same with adults.

Q: What happens if an adult dragon/hatchling dies?
A:
It is replaced by a tombstone graphic. The tombstone will be removed from your scroll two weeks after death, similar to dead eggs.

Q: Does fogging an egg protect it from earthquake?
A:
No, all eggs are vulnerable to earthquake, whether hidden or not.

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Jun 23 2012, 12:47 AM
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
TJ09TJ09TJ09
Posted: Sep 17 2010, 11:52 PM
Quote Post

VP of Gentlemanliness

Frequently Asked Questions: Adult and Frozen Hatchling Questions

Q: Do I still need to get views/unique views/clicks for my adult to survive?
A:
No, once a dragon reaches adulthood, it is able to fend for itself and will only die if you kill it yourself or if it is discovered that you are breaking the rules (such as an offensive/inappropriate name or description). In fact, adult dragons and frozen hatchlings cannot even gain any views/unique views/clicks in order to reduce server strain.

Q: I'm getting a lot of males; how can I get more females? I'm getting a lot of females; how can I get more males?
A:
Gendering is random. Many scrolls end up one-gender-heavy when they first start, but as you keep raising dragons, it should even out. You can also try to get some male and female pinks so you can influence eggs to be the gender you need. You can trade hatchies in the Hatchie Didn't Gender Right? thread or you can keep an eye on the depature and trading threads for pink hatchies the gender you need. You could also try The Giving Tree or The BSA Gifters to see about getting more pinks for influence.

Q: My zombie disappeared! Where did it go?
A:
During the first two weeks after you've killed the dragon, it appears as a tombstone. Once you create your zombie, the tombstone will stay during hours the zombie isn't visible until two weeks from its death. Two weeks after you kill your dragon to make your zombie, the tombstone disappears from your scroll and is only visible when you view the zombie's view page any time other than 12:00 a.m. (midnight) to 6:00 a.m. EST. The zombies themselves also disappear during the day, and are only visible from 12:00 a.m. (midnight) until 6:00 a.m. EST, and their tombstones are visible all day on the 31st of any month with 31 days in it. Zombies are always visible in sort but are only visible on the scroll during the times describe above. You can also find your zombie if you know its name by going to http://dragcave.net/view/n/NAME_HERE

Q: How do I name/rename my hatchlings/adults?
A:
From your scroll, click on "actions", then click "Name". A dragon can be re-named from your scroll, if you click on "actions" then "Rename". There is no limit to how many times you can rename your dragon. Once a hatchling is named it cannot be abandoned. Inappropriate names will cause the death of your hatchling or dragon. Adult dragons can be named, so don't worry about naming it before it grows up. To remove a name, go to "rename", delete the name, and submit the blank name. The site does not differentiate between uppercase and lowercase letters, so if you are trying to change the capitals of a name, you'll need to delete and then rename.

Q: Why have some of my dragon's names disappeared?
A:
If you are inactive and don't log into your scroll for eight weeks, users have the ability to "steal" your names simply by naming one of their own dragons that name. This is not malicious or done out of cruel intent - some people may not even realize they are "taking" a previously used name. See the terms and conditions for this information. Names that have disappeared cannot be retrieved; you will have to re-name your dragons on your own. You may be able to remember some names through Wayback Machine. You can make names unique by adding a surname or prefix if you want a name that is no longer available. You can also put extra spaces in the middle of names (but not at the beginning or end of names).

Q: Why did I receive a warning that dragons with inappropriate names may be killed?
A:
This is a standard warning that you should receive every single time you name a dragon. It does not mean your name is inappropriate or that your dragon is going to be killed. It is merely a reminder to keep the name appropriate.

Q: Is this name inappropriate? I don't want my dragon to be killed!
A:
As a general rule of thumb, if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be using the name. Inappropriate names can consist of, but are not limited to, forum/cave censored words, insulting others, or un-PG-13 actions/descriptions/etc. in names. If you want a second opinion on a name you're debating, check out this thread in Site Discussion.

Can I summon more if I have more than one set of trio dragons?
A:
Summon can only be attempted every two weeks, regardless of how many trios you have. Having more trios doesn't give you more summons. The more trios you have, the greater your chances of a successful summon are. We do not know the exact number, but the increase is likely small.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of times I can summon?
A:
You can summon until you have three guardians of nature on your scroll. Only after that can you no longer summon. If you release a GoN or a growing GoN is killed, you may summon again.

Q: Why does the ink disappear when I try and name a dragon?
A:
The name you wish to choose may be taken. There are many named dragons, so simply choose another name or add a surname or alternate the spelling you used. You may also see this message if the name you wish to choose contains invalid characters. Names can only contain up to 32 alphanumeric characters, as well as " " (space), "'" (apostrophe), or "-" (dash). Only (American) English characters can be used - trying to put in a Japanese symbol or something will not work and the character won't come out. Spaces and special characters cannot be used as the first or last character of a name.

Q: What is 'Freezing'?
A:
If you 'freeze' your hatchling, it will not mature into an adult. However, it will also not die when its 7 day growth period is over. This action is completely irreversible. Frozen hatchlings do not count when taking a new egg or breeding. While frozen hatchlings used to be able to still grow, such as gaining wings, if they had enough views already, they no longer can. A hatchling will stay frozen at the stage it was frozen at. They will not gain any views after being frozen and they will not mature into an adult. Frozen hatchlings cannot breed because they are not adults.

Q: Can frozen hatchlings be abandoned?
A:
No, they cannot. They can, however, be released to the wilderness just like adult dragons.

Q: Why didn't my BSA (Breed Specific Action) work?
A:
A breed specific action does not have a guaranteed chance of working. If, for example, you influence an egg to be male, it could still end up gendering female. Nothing went wrong; the action just failed, nothing to worry about, even if it doesn't produce the results you were hoping for.

Q: Can both genders of purples use fertility?
A:
Yes, either gender can use fertility on either gender of dragon. Using fertility on both mates will only waste a fertility.

Q: I wanted to bite "x" type of dragon with my vampire, but it's not showing up on the list! Is this a glitch?
A:
There are certain species of dragons that cannot be bitten, and therefore do not show up on the list. Unbreedables, splits (2-heads), pygmies, and drakes cannot be bitten. Basically any species that can't breed like a normal dragon can't be bitten by a Vampire. Eggs in an active teleport also cannot have actions preformed on them, including bite.

Q: My frozen hatchling is sick, will it die?
A:
No, frozen hatchilngs are treated like adults in that they cannot die unless you hit the "kill" button. Your hatchling will most likely get better eventually, but it is no big deal if it doesn't.

Q: What happens when I release my dragon?
A:
It goes to the wilderness and loses its name, which is immediately available for use.

Q: I released my adult dragon/frozen hatchling. Can someone else pick it up?
A:
No, released dragons are not available for others to grab, they go to the wilderness.

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Jun 13 2014, 08:21 PM
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted: Oct 22 2012, 08:50 PM
Quote Post

Wednesday has been canceled due to a scheduling potato.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 7,406

Frequently Asked Questions: Holiday Questions

This section of the FAQ would not have been possible without the members! A big thanks to yosofine for providing an excellent base for most of these questions as well as to olympe, DarkEternity, and DolphinSong for expanding on the base, and to all the other users who piped up with additional questions and answers and who fixed my typos and misinformation. <3

Q: How do you get a new holiday dragon?
A:
Each holiday will receive a new dragon specifically for that holiday of that year (ie Halloween '09, Halloween '10, Halloween '11, and Halloween '12 will each have their own unique Halloween dragon). The newly released eggs will be the only egg dropping in all the biomes starting at the midnight of that holiday (midnight is 00:00:00. So the 24 hour span of time that makes up a day essentially "starts" at 00:00:01 and "ends" at 23:59:59 so the release happens at the very beginning of the holiday day TJ's timezone EDT/EST). Halloween dragons will drop for the day of Halloween, ending with midnight of the next day. For Christmas and Valentine's Day, the release usually lasts a little longer. You can see past topics for these holidays in the news section for an idea of how long the release may go on for. Catching these dragons are just like catching other dragons in the cave. Later on, people may also abandon caveborn holiday dragons, so you may rarely find them in the abandoned pile or may try to trade for them or join a gifting project to receive eggs.

Q: How can I keep track of when the release will start/end? I'm not good with timezones!
A:
Besides using any world clock, such as this one, to figure out the difference in your timezone and cave timezone (cave time is the same as New York City or Washington, DC), Allure of Neglected Dragons displays a clock that is always running the same timezone as cave time. That clock can be found here.

Q: How do you get a holiday dragon from a previous year?
A:
Adult holiday dragons from previous years will be able to breed around a week before the event (and will only be able to breed once during the event). You can catch these bred eggs in the abandoned page.

Q: Can you catch a caveborn of a holiday dragon from a previous year?
A:
Nope. The only time you can get a caveborn holiday is if you catch it during the year it is released.

Q: How do you know about holiday releases?
A:
TJ09 will announce the new releases (and events, if applicable) in the News Section of the forum. Over the years, he has gotten better at announcing these events a little ahead of time to give users time to prepare.

Q: How early are holiday releases announced?
A:
The holidays sometimes have games or challenges which begin during the week before the holiday. The actual release is announced when it actually starts, just like any other release. Anything announced ahead of time is completely up to TJ09 and his schedule. There is no guarantee users will receive a head's up before time.

Q: How long do holiday releases last?
A:
Halloween's release and the Valentine's(? VDay '14 resulted in a 3 day release) release usually lasts just the 24 hours of that actual holiday. Christmas' usually lasts 3 days beginning with the holiday and the 2 days after.

Q: How easy is it to catch holiday dragons?
A:
The holiday dragons are the only species that drop in the cave for the duration of their release. You should be able to find them in all biomes. Depending on your internet speed and clicking reflexes and how much cave lag there is, some users find it really easy to grab holidays while others struggle. Holiday dragons from previous years have their breeding time spread over the week before the holiday and can be found in the abandoned page pretty often. Again, ease of catching will depend on internet speed, cave lag, and clicking reflexes. Halloween is the only holiday where you can get as many of the dragons as you can, but be wary of having too many older ones or good AP finds on your scroll when the new dragons are released.

Q: Is there a limit for how many holiday eggs I can get?
A:
Yes and no. You can get as many Halloween dragons as you want. However, Christmas and Valentine dragons have a limit of only two of each breed per scroll the year they are released. You can grab as many past Christmas' and VDays as you want and can manage. See the breed limits page in the cave help section for more information.

Q: Can I teleport/trade/gift holiday dragons that I catch or breed?
A:
Yes, you can. You will not be able to grab a new caveborn of that holiday unless you have space for the breed. If a newly released holiday is in a teleport, it still counts towards your limit for the dragon while it's on your scroll. If you breed a past holiday, you can keep it and teleport it with no time limit. Do note that you can only keep one egg from a multiclutch, though, and you must preform the keep action in order to keep it on your scroll for yourself, to trade, or to later abandon. Valentine's dragons may still have a 24 hour limit before an extra egg of that species is auto'd off your scroll.

Q: What happens to the dragons pending in a trade?
A:
You can only teleport dragons you own (meaning no held dragons). These continue to take up room on your scroll until they are gone. If you are keeping a dragon that will be auto-abandoned (ie an extra holiday) for gifting or trading, it has to be gifted or traded and accepted by the other party before it auto-abandons. Dragons that are pending in trade can still gain views and time will tick down and such, but no actions can be preformed on them, meaning they can't be fogged or abandoned until the trade is canceled.

Q: If my dragon grows up before the holiday breeding week is over, can I breed it for more holiday eggs?
A:
No, holiday dragons created that year cannot breed more holidays until the next year's breeding time. Adults that mature before the breeding season is over will show a grayed out breeding timer, stating they are not able to breed until whenever the breeding season is over. This is achieved by giving them an automatic false last breed date so that the cooldown isn't until after the holiday breeding season has finished.

Q: Can I breed my holiday dragons twice in the same holiday if I time it right?
A:
No, TJ09 has made sure that breeding dragons twice in the same season is disabled. This is done by having holiday dragons grow up an automatically have a last bred date that will not allow them to breed until the breeding season is over.

Q: Do I need to test my holiday dragon and its mate out before season to know if they are compatible?
A:
Nope. Rejections are turned off for holidays during their holiday. Even if they reject out of season, they should still be able to breed in season. Note that just because you wait until the holiday to breed a holiday dragon to its mate, this doesn't mean they will be automatically compatible out of season.

Q: Can I breed two holidays together?
A:
In their season, yes, two holidays (of the same holiday or different holidays) can be breed together to create eggs. Out of either dragons season, the dragons will reject each other. If two dragons of the same holiday are bred together, they may produce only one type of the parents or might produce a mix of the parents.

Q: My holiday produced no eggs! Is this a glitch?
A:
Unfortunately not. While refusals for the holiday are turned off, there is no guarantee that eggs will be produced. If they are produced, they may give up to four eggs. Some dragons (Halloween only, usually pumpkin dragons) have even been known to, albeit rarely, only produce eggs of the non-holiday partner.

Q: How do you get a zombie?
A:
In order to get a zombie, you need to kill an adult dragon or a hatchling or let a hatchling die of natural causes within two weeks of Halloween. Once Halloween is around (in cave time, EDT/EST), you try the action "revive" on your dead dragon. There are three possible outcomes: the dragon revives normally and you get the dragon you killed back, the dragon turns to dust and is gone (tombstone stays for the normal two weeks but you cannot try to revive it again), or the dragon revives as a zombie. Hatchlings successfully revived as zombies are automatically frozen. You may be interested in the Zombie Advice thread.

Q: The dragon I was going to zombify dodged the blade! Is that dragon unkillable? Does it take up a kill slot?
A:
Nope, the attempt simply failed, so no kill slot is taken up. After midnight cave time (EDT/EST) you can try to kill the dragon again. Some dragons may be stubborn and may take a while to kill, which is why many people kill zombie attempts at least a few days before Halloween. You can revive any time during the two weeks that the tombstone sticks around, so there is plenty of time to attempt to kill the dragon/s you want.

Q: What happens to my kill slot when I try to create a zombie?
A:
Kill slots used by zombie making go away at the same rate that other kill slot uses do. Once you kill the dragon, a kill slot is used. If the dragon is successfully turned into a zombie the kill slot is still used for a few weeks. If the dragon dodges the blade and doesn't die, it does not take up a kill slot. If the dragon is killed, it counts as a regular kill and takes a kill slot for a few weeks. If the dragon doesn't revive but stays dead (turns to dust), it takes a kill slot and the tombstone stays for two weeks. If the dragon revives to its original breed, the kill slot returns immediately. Dragons which die due to sickness or running out of time do not take up a kill slot.

Q: If I bite or earthquake an egg and it dies, does that take up a kill slot?
A:
Yes, that does. You can still use these actions if all your kill slots are used, but be warned that this does not get around the kill limit. Once a kill slot ends, you will have to wait an additional two weeks for every action you preformed while your kill slots were full to gain all your slots back.

Q: My zombie disappeared! Where did it go?
A:
During the first two weeks after you've killed the dragon,it appears as a tombstone. Once you create your zombie, the tombstone will stay during hours the zombie isn't visible until two weeks from its death. Two weeks after you kill your dragon to make your zombie, the tombstone disappears from your scroll and is only visible when sorting during any time or when you view the zombie's view page any time other than 12:00 a.m. (midnight) to 6:00 a.m. EST. The zombies themselves also disappear during the day, and are only visible from 12:00 a.m. (midnight) until 6:00 a.m. EST, and their tombstones are visible all day on the 31st of any month with 31 days in it.

Q: Is there a higher chance of creating vampires during Halloween?
A:
No, the chances are the same year round.

Q: Can vampires still be found in cave on Halloween?
A:
No. Although vampires were originally released on Halloween, they were given the bite BSA to convert eggs to vampires, so you can find vampires in the AP year round.

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Feb 17 2014, 03:31 PM
PMEmail Poster
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted: Oct 22 2012, 08:51 PM
Quote Post

Soft Shell and Sick Hatchling Guide

This guide was originally written by Pokemonfan13.

~

Term Key:
user posted image
(image is to show the terms in context and shows an example of a healthy ratio, this is of a dragon of mine that safely grew up)
Views: Every time the image of the egg is loaded a view is added.
Unique Views: Similar to views, but only one unique view is registered per IP.
Clicks: Only one click is registered per IP, they are registered when someone clicks the provided link and views your egg's page.

Basic questions about sickness:

Q: Can my egg or hatchling die of soft shell/hatchling sickness?
A:
Yes, that's why it is called a sickness and there is a guide on how to cure it.

Q: My hatchling is sick. How do I cure it?
A:
Read the guide. Hatchling sickness is the same as egg sickness.

Q: Can an egg hatch/a hatching grow up while it has the disease?
A:
Yes, but you still want to try to cure it to prevent the dragon from dying from the disease before it hatches/grows up.

Q: I froze a sick hatchling. Will it die? Will it get better?
A:
Frozen hatchlings act like adults in that they do not die unless you kill them. A sick frozen hatchling will eventually get better; there is no need to worry.

Q: My hatchling is sick and it isn't getting better!!
A:
If it has more than 1000 unique views it has more than enough views etc to grow up and it just waiting on time. (Mine grow just fine with 700 unique) Remove the hatchling from everywhere you have it posted and fog it if you like. Repost it if it gets below 3 days without maturing, but remember that it has to be unfogged to mature.

Soft shell and hatchling sickness guide:

How do I know if my egg has soft shell?
It's easy. A message gets added below the description of the egg:
user posted image
The message for a sick hatchling:
user posted image

My egg has soft shell! What is the cause?
Too many views too fast. This happens most often on the first day as an egg or hatchling, but can happen at any time.

How do I cure my soft shell?
Hide the egg for at least a day. Often eggs with this kind of soft shell already have enough views to hatch, so you can remove it from where you have the posted (and fog it for good measure if you like) and it will hatch fine.

Now I know how to cure the soft shell, but how do I prevent it from happening again?
Prevention is very simple once you know how.
Wait for a day or so before posting a new egg if this tends to happen to your eggs. Experiment to find the amount of down time that is right for your eggs, but a day or so is usually good. Remember to try to not get more than 100 unique views on your first day, 50 or less is best.
PMEmail Poster
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted: Oct 22 2012, 08:51 PM
Quote Post

How to Make Your DC Incubator

This guide was originally written by Terriah. (Updated by yosofine)

~

Note - You can only create an incubator if you have eggs, hatchlings, dragons on your scroll. If you don't have anything yet, the incubator will not generate.

What Is An Incubator?

An incubator is an image that displays your eggs/hatchlings/dragons. It doesn't serve any actual purpose, but it provides a nice image that you can place in forum signatures to show off all of your dragons at once.

It does not give Views, Unique Views, or Clicks, but it can provide a link so that others may see your scroll.

How To Generate A Dragcave Incubator:

1. Go to your scroll, click on Account, so you are on the http://dragcave.net/account page. You should see Account Settings and among the other topics – Generate Incubator.

2. Click on the Generate Incubator topic.

3. Choose your options.
  • Sort - This option determines which order your dragons appear. Reverse sorting uses your selected option (E.g Growth – and puts it in the reverse order of that setting). Using account setting, uses the same sort that is viewed on your scroll.
  • Display - This option chooses which of your eggs/hatchlings and dragons are to be shown on your Incubator. If you want them all shown, you must check each of the options, except Hide Duplicates. Hide duplicates will only show one of each breed you have. So if you have 2 male golds, it will only show one of them. (Different sprites for different genders IE Silvers are exempt from this and will show one of each gender instead). Note the limited numbers on some display options. If you have a large amount of dragons in your scroll, the incubator image can be over-sized and may show as cut off in your signature.
  • Tile Size - This controls the size of each egg/dragon image within the Incubator.
  • Incubator Size - This option determines the size of your incubator in your signature.
  • Uploading - This has been changed to give an option to not upload (meaning you must host it in your own image account with another host), upload to imgur (a free image holding company), or upload to DC servers.
  • Other - To have your name visible on your incubator, select the Show Username option.
4. You’re almost there! Click the Generate Incubator button! You should see your new Incubator with HTML and BBCode given for you to copy and paste.

If you upload to DC servers, just copy and paste the BB code into your signature.

If you have a slow connection or have multiple failed attempts at generating the image, try uploading it to a different host.

If you didn’t upload when the incubator is generated, hover over the picture, right click and save the image to your computer. You then should go to an image hosting site (E.g image shack, photobucket, etc.) and upload the image to that site yourself. You then need to take the BBCode again from the now-uploaded image and put it in your signature.

You may have to generate a new incubator and replace the old code in your signature whenever there is an update to your scroll. To update your incubator, merely follow steps 1 through 4 to recreate it. Remember to upload to your own image account or one of the given options.

Remember you can only generate an incubator ONCE AN HOUR.

-----

Hopefully at this stage, you will have a successful incubator in your signature!
If it hasn’t succeeded, try again, slowly, making sure of your choices at each step.

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Feb 13 2014, 01:11 AM
PMEmail Poster
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted: Oct 22 2012, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

A Guide to the Forum's Search Function

This guide was originally written by iarsma, and can also be found here.

~

The search function on this forum can be quite helpful, if you know how to use it to its utmost. This guide will hopefully allow your searches to be more successful in the future.

You can find the search function by clicking the "Search" link found in the upper right:
user posted image

Now, if you are brought to the Simple Search function when you click the Search function link, I strongly suggest you click "More Options" at the bottom to bring you to the Advanced Search function. It has a lot more options, and will better aid you in finding what you're looking for if it's still around. Simple Search looks like this (with More Options indicated by a green arrrow):
user posted image

Now then, this is the Advanced Search, however it's really not as complicated as it may seem at first glance.
user posted image

The top half is really pretty self-explanatory. You have the option of searching either by keyword or by someone's username, or by both (if you know a specific person said something, and you are trying to find their post, for example). There are some tricks to searching by keyword, which you can view by clicking the "Advanced Usage Help" linked directly under the "Search by Keywords" box. What it will tell you is how to best find what you are looking for, keywords-wise.
user posted image

The bottom half can seem a bit more overwhelming to some, perhaps, but it's almost entirely set to what you need automatically. There are really just two "major" things you need to be sure of, when searching.

The first is, if you know what you're searching for is in a specific section, and which section it is, you are much better off selecting that section in the out of the list and unchecking the "Search in child forums if sub category is chosen?" box. This will greatly reduce the number of results you get, and make sifting through them much easier.

The second thing - and possible most important thing - is to change your "Search posts from..." option from the default "30 days ago and" to "Any date." This forum - and most forums, for that matter - have long lives, and very old posts. In the big scheme of things, 30 days is not that old, and the post you may be trying to find could be much older than that. And if you are searching to check for a duplicate, this is even more important. I don't think I can stress enough the importance of this step.

In general, you can leave "Sort results by" alone - you're used to seeing the forum in "Last Posting Date" format, so it's easy enough to sift through your search results in that fashion. Also, it's generally best to leave "Search Where" set as "Search entire post" unless you know the title of the thread you are looking for, or a specific word in the thread title. Changing "Result Type" from showing as topics to showing as posts can come in handy, depending on what you are looking for (an example would be looking for a specific post).

The other way to get to know how to use this search function better is to just use it - a lot! The more you use it, the more able you will become with it. Some searches will not be as successful as others (for example, in this forum, searching for "dragon" is liable to bring up the majority of posts in the forum, regardless of what section you are searching, except maybe some of the General Discussion sections). But it's a good rule of thumb to try searching several different keywords when trying to find something, especially if you are trying to find out whether a topic you want to start has already been started somewhere or not.
PMEmail Poster
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted: Oct 22 2012, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

A How-to-Code Guide

This guide was originally written by Seay.

Table of Contents
  1. Simple Linking and Images
  2. Size, Color, and Font (and Font List)
  3. Other Stuff (Quoting, etc.)
  4. Advanced coding
  5. List of Colors
~

Simple Linking & Images
To make a simple text link like this:
Dragcave
You must type this (or copy and paste the code and change the URL and text):
CODE
[URL=http://dragcave.net/]Dragcave[/URL]

To build your own code, you type this:
[URL=URL OF PAGE HERE]TEXT HERE[/URL]

For images, use the code below.
CODE
[IMG]URL OF IMAGE HERE[/IMG]

Mini Tip!
To make a clickable image link to your scroll, pout this code into your signature:
CODE
[URL=http://dragcave.net/user/YOUR SCROLL NAME HERE][IMG]IMAGE URL HERE[/IMG][/URL]

Another Mini Tip!
To make a link to your e-mail, do this:
[EMAIL]YOUR EMAIL HERE[/EMAIL]

Size, Color, & Font
Ok, here, I'm going to show you how to change the size, color, and font of your text.

Text can be four (4) different sizes, by default on the board. Let me show you.

To make big text like this, type this or use the drop-down menu called 'Size' under the 'Code Buttons'.

This is the regular size
This is the small size
This is the large size
This is the larger size

CODE
[SIZE=insert number here]insert text here[/SIZE]

Examples:
Largest possible size
(Normal text size for comparison)
CODE
[SIZE=23]Largest possible size[/SIZE]

Smallest possible size
(Normal text size for comparison)
In fact, the smallest size is so small, most people wont even see it.
CODE
[SIZE=-7]Smallest possible size[/SIZE]

For color, you can do either hex code or the name of specific colors, a complete list of those colors below. If you use a hexcode, don't forget the "#" in front of the numbers and letters or it won't work.

CODE
[COLOR=insert color name here]insert text here[/COLOR]

CODE
[color=#HEXCODE]insert text here[/color]

You may find a list of colors to use from any Google search for 'hexcode colors'. Here is one with quite a compilation of colors and their names and hexcode numbers: http://www.december.com/html/spec/colorhex.html

And finally, font. It is pretty much the same as all the others, except for one thing. You must either choose a font from the dropdown menu or type it in and make sure it is typed correctly or the forum won't recognize it.

Examples of different fonts not in the dropdown menu are: Bell MT, Curlz MT, and Papyrus. You may search your Word for different font names.

Other Stuff That May Eventually Have It's Own Section
QUOTE (danacc)
There are buttons for URL links (the button is called "http://"), image links ("IMG"), e-mail ("@"), and bullet lists ("LIST") as well.

QUOTE (Seay)
There is a button for inserting codes (CODE) as well.

Quoting - Either use the appropriate buttons under 'Code Buttons' or write
CODE
[QUOTE=whoever]blahblahblah[/QUOTE]

QUOTE (caramba2654)
CODE
[QUOTE=Seay,Jan 4 2009, 01:40 AM]??? Now that's something I don't know. Tell me please? :P[/QUOTE]

That's the quote coding.

You need to say that you put the username of the user that you want to quote, comma, date, comma, space and hour of posting in the quote tag. Then, closing the quote tag, post the post that you want to quote and close the quote.

Listing -
CODE
[LIST]
[*]blah
[*]blah
[/LIST]

You can also add more bullets by copying the [*]blah and typing different text.

You can also create numbered lists by added in a "=" and either a "1", "I", "i", "A", or "a".
CODE
[LIST=1]
  1. First item in the list
  2. Second item in the list
  3. Third item in the list
LIST=I (capitalized Roman numerals), LIST=i (lowercase Roman numerals), LIST=A (capitalized Roman alphabet), and LIST=a (lowercase Roman alphabet) also work.

To post codes so that they won't work and can be shown, it is simply:
CODE
[code]code you want to show off
[/code]

Striking out text is simply:
CODE
[s]text[/s]
text

Advanced Coding
When the normal options just aren't good enough.

How to underline text in a different color then the text itself?
Example:
This is blue text, underlined with green.
CODE
[COLOR=green][U][COLOR=blue]This is blue text, underlined with green.[/COLOR][/U][/COLOR]

CODE
[COLOR=underline color][U][COLOR=text color]TEXT[/COLOR][/U][/COLOR]

You can also use this system to do other things:
This text is orange, but the link isn't.
This text is orange, and the link is orange too!
CODE
[COLOR=orange]This text is orange, and the [URL=http://dragcave.net][COLOR=orange]link[/COLOR][/URL] is orange too![/COLOR]

CODE
[COLOR=text color]TEXT [URL=url][COLOR=link color]LINK[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

This post has been edited by SockPuppet Strangler on Nov 18 2012, 04:50 PM
PMEmail Poster
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted: Oct 22 2012, 08:54 PM
Quote Post

A How-To-Code Guide: Forum Signatures

This guide was originally written by duskspoken.

~

This is a guide on how to add your scroll link and images into your sig. There will be images and many of them are going to be large so give the page time for all of the images to load.

First we start off on the front page. From there over on the right hand side you go to my controls.

user posted image

Next over on the left we're going to go to Edit Signature.

user posted image

Click on that and you'll see the following.

user posted image

Here you can do several things. First we'll add a simple link to your scroll. Click on the http:// button.

user posted image

Here you'll get a pop up. You'll want to enter your scroll link here. [You can find this at http://dragcave.net/user/SCROLLNAME].

user posted image

Click okay and you're going to get another pop up. This one is going to ask you to enter the title of the webpage. Generally people simply put 'My Scroll'. What you put here is up to you, as long as it is appropriate for the forum.

user posted image

Click ok and you're going to get code that looks like this ...

CODE
[URL=http://dragcave.net/user/SCROLLNAME]My Scroll[/URL]

Which will look like this ... My Scroll.

Next I'll show you how to add an image. You're going to need to have your image uploaded on another server. Photobucket and tinypic are too good free ones. [You do not need an account to use Tiny Pic.]

Next to the http:// button you're going to see an IMG button.

user posted image

Click on the IMG button and you're going to get a pop up. In that pop up you need to put the direct image link to the image you want to use.

user posted image

Click okay and you'll see code that looks like this:

CODE
[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/11kkwgo.png[/IMG]

When you're done simply press update my signature and what your sig looks like will appear over the edit box.

Also keep in mind that you *do* have a character limit of 1024 characters in your sig. I highly suggest using Tinypic and Tinyurl if you plan to have a lot of things in your sig.

----

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I will answer them as best as I can. Also feel free to pm with questions, I answer pm's soon after receiving them if I am around the computer.

Also if anyone has anything they think should be added to this post, leave a comment and I will add it. :)

----

Also if you want to add a link to an image you'll need to create your link code first. so you'll have this

CODE
[URL=http://dragcave.net/user/SCROLLNAME]My Scroll[/URL]

But where it says 'My Scroll' you'll replace that the code with your image code.

CODE
[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2r2m8ti.png[/IMG]

And that will give you this:

CODE
[URL=http://dragcave.net/user/SCROLLNAME][IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2r2m8ti.png[/IMG][/URL]

Which will give you this:

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll