TJ09

2019-03-04 - Festival of Eggs Submissions

Dragon Cave's yearly Festival of Eggs has always had outside contributors, but there's never been a clear process—until now. This year we're opening up Festival of Eggs submissions to the entire community.

Here's some base guidelines:

• The egg is the main theme, so you should be able to see the egg in the sprite.
  • Size limit of 50x50px.
  • Images must be submitted in PNG or GIF form.
  • Eggs should be pixel art, which generally means that overall color count is limited and pixels are intentionally placed. Do not use e.g. filters or anti-aliased tools such as Photoshop's paint brush.
  • Eggs may be animated, but should not use rapid or flashing effects.
  • Semi-transparency is allowed.
  • Eggs must not be shared publicly before the Festival of Eggs.
  • Eggs may be rejected for reasons other than those in this post—namely, there will be a general quality bar. We'll try to provide useful feedback around rejections.
  • Only one egg submission will be accepted per-person.

There are a limited number of spots available. Eggs will be accepted on a first come, first served basis which only applies when the art is accepted (that is, if you need to make changes and resubmit, that bumps you to the back of the line).

Submissions are now closed. Thanks to everyone who submitted.

All submissions must be via PM to @Festival Of Eggs. The deadline for submissions is April 14.

And the fine print: By submitting art to the Festival of Eggs, you grant Dragon Cave a non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license to host, use, distribute, modify, copy, display, and create derivative works of your content. You can end this license any time by contacting us, though the art may not be immediately deleted. The license also ends immediately upon formal notice from us that the art will not be used in the Festival of Eggs.

Just to clarify because it isn't specified on the post or the fine print, and I know you've mentioned before that the rules for Dragon sprites don't apply to event sprites; can users still submit traced work for this event? I'm asking this as a genuine question at this point, as it would open up the submissions very wide to all kinds of wonderful artwork, albeit technically unoriginal (I'm seeing  players commenting that they have ideas but lack spriting experience to make it a reality).

36 minutes ago, bluesonic1 said:

Just to clarify because it isn't specified on the post or the fine print, and I know you've mentioned before that the rules for Dragon sprites don't apply to event sprites; can users still submit traced work for this event? I'm asking this as a genuine question at this point, as it would open up the submissions very wide to all kinds of wonderful artwork, albeit technically unoriginal (I'm seeing  players commenting that they have ideas but lack spriting experience to make it a reality).

No; all submissions must represent a fully original work on the part of the person submitting.

Question, can the PM contain more than one entry? And if can, is there going to be picked the best out of them?

I can't sprite for life, but I think this is a wonderful opportunity for people who do and want to start showing their work! Good luck to all of you ❤️  

I've painted digitally for a while now but never tried pixel art. This is probably the perfect inspiration to start. Thanks for the opportunity to submit our attempts TJ.   How exciting! 

Is there an egg base available perhaps? Just the outlines? When looking at the festival eggs, most of them seem to be based on the same form.

9 minutes ago, Kiwiana said:

Is there an egg base available perhaps? Just the outlines? When looking at the festival eggs, most of them seem to be based on the same form.

You can find them here. :3

I followed the link to the egg template (thank you Mewtie), but copy/paste into Paint or IrfanView only gives me a solid black square, regardless of my own colour/opacity settings.
Can anyone help please?

@Freima right click, Save As to download the image. It's a PNG file. I'm pretty sure Paint can open that, but it's literally been a decade or more since I used Paint

Can the eggs reference other things or pop culture as long as they don't trace? 

Aka, can I make an egg inspired by a video game character, for instance? 

Also, can we submit multiple eggs (even if only one will get accepted?) 

Edited by Starbit-Plushie

Ooo this is neat! When I made some kind of egg a while ago, I was wondering if it was possible to submit. :D I'm really glad to see that there's the possibility now. I shall properly finish the egg sprite and submit it later too.

3 hours ago, TJ09 said:

No; all submissions must represent a fully original work on the part of the person submitting.

Does this mean any fan art, or eggs representing a creation by another person are no longer allowed? I ask this because there seems to have been a lot in the previous years.

I think TJ means "DRAW the thing yourself, don't paste already existing images into the eggs, and don't trace". But yeah I'd like a clarification on this as well. I might have some sneaky plans.

Since the submissions can't be shared publicly, is it still allowed to use a site like Imgur for hosting?

References are allowed, yes. It's just tracing that's not allowed.

50 minutes ago, Cottoncat said:

Since the submissions can't be shared publicly, is it still allowed to use a site like Imgur for hosting?

As long as you set the image as private and don't share the link anywhere else I'd say yes, but the safest bet is using the forum image uploader.

Edited by SkyWolf25

That's so cool, thanks!

I have no idea how to even begin spriting, otherwise I'd give it a shot. I'm excited to see this years festival of eggs!

Oh wow this is so cool! I can't wait to see the variety in this year's Festival of Eggs now that it's more open. Can't sprite worth crap myself, but I'm very excited about this.

43 minutes ago, SkyWolf25 said:

As long as you set the image as private and don't share the link anywhere else I'd say yes, but the safest bet is using the forum image uploader.

Now I feel like I'd rather go with the forum image uploader - how exactly does it work? :o